• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
You know I wanted to play a Tetris game for a few days and here it is now!

I worded myself poorly, what I mean is, there are 8 mil. subscribers but a lot with 1 or 3 months "only" subscriptions. I wonder if that's the reason why we got a June release. But maybe MM2 only feels to me like a holiday game...

Theres already heavy hitters for the holiday though - Pokemon and Animal Crossing + smaller but still big releases like Luigis Mansion 3 peppered in - better to release it in June and build some momentum going into the holidays + boost online subs

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking how good of an idea adding in 3d world stuff was. If the game itself doesn't get ported (this makes it seem less likely), it's the best way to still bring 3d world spiritually to the switch. The game already plays thematically like 2d mario, and it added great elements. Cat suit of course, but the clear pipes might be the most underrated thing added in. There can be so much creatively done with that. I wonder what other 3d world stuff will be in. It's technically not originally from 3d world, but could they add beat blocks?

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
For me, the best new of any direct in the last years together with the Smash Bros' Everybody is Here from the last E3 next to this.

I love game/map editors since I was a child -as a kid, I draw levels for a lot of games nonstop in grid papers/notebooks-, and Super Mario Maker announcement was the best news for me. I have been waiting to buy since its presentation in 2014, but during the 2015-2016 I had very little time to play and I didn't bought it, and later, I waited for a sequel -or port- for the next Nintendo hardware. For me that has been a lot of time waiting to play a Super Mario game about making your own levels!

I just want to say, that was a bomb-ass remix in the trailer
I agree. It's a really funny remix.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I loved the first one, and wished I had played it more - my only criticism was it's rating system and not being able to find the best, most highly rated creator created levels through the game itself, rather than finding creators through the internet.

They'll need a good robust system for finding levels you'll like, because due to the user-base of the Switch, it has potential to be drowning in user created levels, both good and bad - so we'll need a robust search in order to flush out the bad and find the good.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I am very excited to see how the new themes (desert, snow, forest) will look in the other games. And also the music to these themes.
Hopefully we will also get a proper mountain theme.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
In terms of level themes, I hope we get a few more themes than we saw in this initial trailer (and I think we definitely will). At the very least, i'm hoping that the full theme list looks something like:
  • Ground
  • Underground
  • Underwater
  • Castle
  • Ghost House
  • Airship
  • Desert
  • Snow
  • Forest
  • Beach
  • Mountain
  • Lava
But I would also like to see one or two more (like an Athletic/Sky theme, or the Night theme that i'm a bit less confident in now).

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
My only issue with early Mario Maker was the obsession with Kaizo style levels by the creators. I stopped playing later so I don't know what happened with the community, but I hope we get more conscientious game design.

I think a lot of the Kaizo-styled levels were accidents rather than a deliberate design choice. The problem is that it's notoriously hard to judge the difficulty of a game you make yourself. Most people will vastly underestimate the difficulty they create because they think that their own experience playtesting their level is the same experience that a random stranger will have, when in reality the creator will find it much, much easier. Because people wanted to make challenging levels but lacked the experience to evaluate difficulty, they designed their levels so that they would be challenging for themselves, resulting in levels that were nigh-on impossible for other people.

Combine this with some fundamental misunderstandings about game difficulty, and you have a recipe for disaster. For example, I get the distinct impression that a lot of creators think that a lot of people completing a level means that the level is easy, when it might actually just mean that players find the level to be fun. So they'll turn up the difficulty to make things more challenging, removing the fun from the level in the process.

I wish more creators took inspiration from how Nintendo designs levels, but no. Instead we get a bunch of gotchas combined with almost nothing but giant-sized enemies with wings because why the fuck not.

With Super Mario Maker 1, I (almost) always tried to design my levels so that they'd fit right into the game that they were themed after, mostly Super Mario World. I almost never saw other creators doing the same, which kind of removed my motivation to play other people's creations. It's lucky that I enjoy creating levels so much.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The 3D World theme also has actual lightning/shadow mapping! Enemies and the environment cast shadows on other objects and the player.

6tQ1I2D.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
I think a lot of the Kaizo-styled levels were accidents rather than a deliberate design choice. The problem is that it's notoriously hard to judge the difficulty of a game you make yourself. Most people will vastly underestimate the difficulty they create because they think that their own experience playtesting their level is the same experience that a random stranger will have, when in reality the creator will find it much, much easier. Because people wanted to make challenging levels but lacked the experience to evaluate difficulty, they designed their levels so that they would be challenging for themselves, resulting in levels that were nigh-on impossible for other people.

Combine this with some fundamental misunderstandings about game difficulty, and you have a recipe for disaster. For example, I get the distinct impression that a lot of creators think that a lot of people completing a level means that the level is easy, when it might actually just mean that players find the level to be fun. So they'll turn up the difficulty to make things more challenging, removing the fun from the level in the process.

I wish more creators took inspiration from how Nintendo designs levels, but no. Instead we get a bunch of gotchas combined with almost nothing but giant-sized enemies with wings because why the fuck not.

With Super Mario Maker 1, I (almost) always tried to design my levels so that they'd fit right into the game that they were themed after, mostly Super Mario World. I almost never saw other creators doing the same, which kind of removed my motivation to play other people's creations. It's lucky that I enjoy creating levels so much.
Guilty. Judging difficulty is not easy. This is another reason a feature I really want in is to be able to watch ghost runs from players for your uploaded levels. Physically see where players are struggling/dying, and see how and why. Make it easier to tweak your level accordingly. Oh and being able to make changes to your uploaded stages without removing it entirely would be great.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Oh and being able to make changes to your uploaded stages without removing it entirely would be great.

Yeah, this was a big pet peeve of mine in the first one. Several of my levels have multiple versions available because replacing one version would mean losing all plays and stats for it. In this age of day 1 patches, it would only be natural for us to be able to patch our levels.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super curious how the 3D World theme plays. IIRC, 3D World doesn't have triple jumps. Pretty sure it has wall jumps though, and the inclusion of the long jump could be interesting as well!

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
I assume the NSMBU theme here is 3d models.. the NSMB theme in SMM was actually captured sprites (like dkc) unlike the actual NSMB games.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit worried that there's going to be even more style-specific objects and maybe even level types, but I'm going to chalk that up to just the fact that they're still adding to it.

It would be a bit disappointing if angry sun is only in SMB3, ant troopers are only in SM3DW and you can't make jungle levels in SMB for example.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

I guess it depends exactly what we're talking about with "Kaizo-styled levels" here, but I don't think Mario Maker was well suited to exploration and discovery type levels anyway with such limited aesthetic tools and no way to create your own graphics. For a lot of the more dedicated level creators, the fun was the contraptions you could make, and those lead to gimmick or kaizo levels more than classic Mario levels you'd see in the main series. Not to mention I bet if you're a good level creator, you're probably also super good at playing the game. People like designing things they themselves enjoy, and they might be so good a kaizo is the right difficulty for them to be enjoyable. Plus, there's no fame to be gained from making classic style levels. Gimmick levels, troll levels and kaizo levels get much more play on streams.

Of course you have most people who just sprayed the level with lakitus and called it a day, I assume we're not talking about those.

The weird thing is classic Mario levels to me, in the context of Mario Maker, really mean, kind of, non-thematic non-gimmicky levels on the easy side. When I think about it it practically just means bland. But really aside from SMB1 Mario games are full of gimmick levels. A level in Mario Maker intended to simulate a river raft ride would fit right in a normal Mario game, especially later in the series. But I think of that as more a gimmick level than a classic level. So maybe my definition is fucked up.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I don't know about Pokemon, but 2D Mario definitely is bigger than Animal Crossing. New Super Mario Bros Wii sold 30 million units on Wii. Im not sure if City Folk even sold half of that.
2D Mario are big sellers but they tend to sell a bit less now (still great). City Folk sold less than 5 millions but was seen as a failure by Nintendo, both commercially and artistically (it was just wild world 1.5). Wild World on DS and New Leaf on 3DS sold roughly 12 millions. The audience is clearly on portables.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It would be a bit disappointing if angry sun is only in SMB3, ant troopers are only in SM3DW and you can't make jungle levels in SMB for example.

I'm kind of fearing what will happen with the enemies, but I'm pretty sure the level themes will continue being shared. "Jungle" level is probably also the forest theme for Super Mario World, so they'd only need to make new versions for SMB and SMB3. SMB already had an "ice" theme too, so only SMB3 and World would need that. They showcased the SMB airship theme in that trailer which never existed in the original games, so it'd be odd if now they restricted the new themes to only ones from the original games.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
2D Mario are big sellers but they tend to sell a bit less now (still great). City Folk sold less than 5 millions but was seen as a failure by Nintendo, both commercially and artistically (it was just wild world 1.5). Wild World on DS and New Leaf on 3DS sold roughly 12 millions. The audience is clearly on portables.

This is just my opinion, of course, but I don't think 2D Mario has sold as well recently because of the over reliance on the "New" series. A lot of people who bought New Super Mario Bros. on the DS and Wii probably didn't feel the need to buy New Super Mario Bros. 2, for example, which resulted in it only selling around 10 million, far away from NSMB Wii's 30 million.

Mario Maker didn't sell that great either for a 2D Mario game, but it was largely held back by being a late release on the already pretty-much-dead Wii U. However, it was extremely popular with kids and adults alike, among those who played it.

Now we have Mario Maker 2, a game that's finally giving us a brand new true 2.5D artstyle (3D World) instead of just another "New Super Mario Bros." skin (although the latter option is still available), and even among that it's bringing so much new course elements to the table that it makes the Wii U original look like a tech demo.

Hell, even the NSMBU port is doing incredibly well on the Switch, and that's a port of one of the lazier games in the series from 2012. SMM2 is going to sell EXTREMELY well imo.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I really hope that Charging Chucks are finally included this time around. They could easily be in the SMW and SM3DW themes, but I also hope they will included them in the other three themes.

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
Anyone heard anything about a music maker in MM2?

I wanna put what is love in my levels and watch everything burn.

You mean like the "music" that can already be made in MM1, or like an actual music editor?

Honestly, it'd be really cool if they added in features inspired by Mario Paint and Warioware DIY like music and graphics/tileset editors, but I just can't see that happening because MM is supposed to be simple and things like that are impossible to idiot-proof. That and every level would be stuffed with memes and crude drawings and nobody wants that.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Mark my words but there is no chance there will be exclusives to a certain game theme. Of course you have your different powerups per game.
But chainchomp will be in each style as well as the Snake-Piranha-Plant.

Question: Where are there sometimes white arrows instead of black ones when using the path feature (blocksnake)? Couldnt find a pattern.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Oh, here's something that might point towards an actual Day/Night toggle like some other people have suggested:
l8FYX4h.jpg

The SMW Ghost House theme showed in the trailer looks a bit different from how it usually does, with blue lighting (and a blue sky poking out through the windows). If I had to guess, the new version is now the day default, and the original will be the night version.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope that Charging Chucks are finally included this time around. They could easily be in the SMW and SM3DW themes, but I also hope they will included them in the other three themes.
Just conjecture here, but there are bullies in the 3D world theme. Not sure how they work in a 2D plane, but could see those turning into chargin chucks for SMW theme (of course chargin chucks are also in 3D world so maybe this line of thinking is off base). Chargin chucks even made an appearance in SMB3 GBA as an e-reader enemy.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The most exciting part is Nintendo will have levels created by themselves and others in the game to play. I can't wait to see what they come up with and atleast it's more professional levels for those who want that.
If you want Nintendo Mario levels you're really gonna want a 2D Mario game. Mario Maker is great but it's no replacement, and Nintendo really phoned in the levels they made for the first game.

My only issue with early Mario Maker was the obsession with Kaizo style levels by the creators. I stopped playing later so I don't know what happened with the community, but I hope we get more conscientious game design.
Well, with a such a limited tool set and and no dev-level tools it was kinda impossible to make a variety of levels that would really fit in a Mario game. I don't think kaizo was that prevalent, though it was popular in the kaizo streaming community. Most levels were puzzle levels and such.

Some examples of my stuff:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, here's something that might point towards an actual Day/Night toggle like some other people have suggested:
l8FYX4h.jpg

The SMW Ghost House theme showed in the trailer looks a bit different from how it usually does, with blue lighting (and a blue sky poking out through the windows). If I had to guess, the new version is now the day default, and the original will be the night version.
Come on, now, that was in my analysis that you were arguing against!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Come on, now, that was in my analysis that you were arguing against! :P
Oh whoops, sorry 😅. I guess I somehow missed that part of your post (though I did read the rest). I'm fine with being wrong about the day/night toggle thing though (because I wanted that in the first place).

I still don't think that 3D World shot is the Castle theme though; but I don't really know what theme it would be part of.

If you want Nintendo Mario levels you're really gonna want a 2D Mario game. Mario Maker is great but it's no replacement, and Nintendo really phoned in the levels they made for the first game.
I'm assuming that you haven't played the 3DS version? They definitely put a lot more effort into making stages for that game (especially with the bonus challenges in each). With the larger tool set in this game, i'm expecting the official levels to be even better this time.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The 3ds version got a batch of more standard levels though, rather than basically tech demos like the Wii U ones.

Also, I had forgotten the 3ds verion removed the mystery mushroom. I hope it doesn't get lost due to the addition of just 3 or so playable characters.

I still don't think that 3D World shot is the Castle theme though; but I don't really know what theme it would be part of.

If it's not the castle theme equivalent for 3d World, it'd need to be an all new "circus" theme, and I doubt they'll get around to adding a circus theme to all games.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Speaking of NSMB power ups, can we have the Mega Mushroom not be an obscure amiibo locked item in a style that didn't even have the Mega Mushroom in it, originally?

(they were also in 3D World)

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Oh whoops, sorry 😅. I guess I somehow missed that part of your post (though I did read the rest). I'm fine with being wrong about the day/night toggle thing though (because I wanted that in the first place).

I'm assuming that you haven't played the 3DS version? They definitely put a lot more effort into making stages for that game (especially with the bonus challenges in each). With the larger tool set in this game, i'm expecting the official levels to be even better this time.
The 3ds version got a batch of more standard levels though, rather than basically tech demos like the Wii U ones.

Also, I had forgotten the 3ds verion removed the mystery mushroom. I hope it doesn't get lost due to the addition of just 3 or so playable characters.

If it's not the castle theme equivalent for 3d World, it'd need to be an all new "circus" theme, and I doubt they'll get around to adding a circus theme to all games.
Yes, but those levels were still nowhere near the level of a NSMBU level. 2D Mario games made to be 2D Mario games have the benefit of when the designer has an idea they can create something new rather than choosing from a list, being able to make things move without puting them on tracks, and not being restricted to a grid with severe object budgets.

I think the 3D World Bowser Land theme is 3DW's equivalent of castle or airship.
Just conjecture here, but there are bullies in the 3D world theme. Not sure how they work in a 2D plane, but could see those turning into chargin chucks for SMW theme (of course chargin chucks are also in 3D world so maybe this line of thinking is off base). Chargin chucks even made an appearance in SMB3 GBA as an e-reader enemy.
I think bullies will be 3DW's replacement for chain chomps.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I was thinking it could be the 3D World equivalent of an athletic/sky theme (it does take place high above the ground). The other themes would be more traditional though, like:
SMAS_5-6.PNG

Cheese_Bridge_Area.png
and/or
Star_World_4.png

NSMBU_4-BouncyCloudBoomerangs.Still001.jpg

or it could just be the Airship theme. 3D Land had them, but 3D World didn't.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about Pokemon, but 2D Mario definitely is bigger than Animal Crossing. New Super Mario Bros Wii sold 30 million units on Wii. Im not sure if City Folk even sold half of that.

I completely forgot Pokemon was coming this year.

Man, the back half of the year is going to be stacked for Nintendo. Holy smokes.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking it could be the 3D World equivalent of an athletic/sky theme (it does take place high above the ground). The other themes would be more traditional though, like:
SMAS_5-6.PNG

Cheese_Bridge_Area.png
and/or
Star_World_4.png

NSMBU_4-BouncyCloudBoomerangs.Still001.jpg

Thinking it over, I really doubt 3DW's airship theme would look like the others since it would look really ugly in that style and it would be the only theme they'd have to make completely new assets for. So using Bowser Land does seem like its equivalent.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I think it could take place of the castle theme for 3d World since that's essentially what Bowser's park was there, even though there were castle stages too. It just seems completely unrelated to the airship. And a sky theme hasn't even been shown at this point, although I guess that seems more likely than a new Bowser's park theme for the older styles.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't support Nintendo Online so I won't buy this game. But damn this looks incredible. Gonna watch the creative levels on Youtube.