• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I've been playing this for most of the night after Tim from Kinda Funny mentioned earlier on a stream that it might end up being one of his favorite "games" of the year.

I completely understand. This is awesome. Fantastic level design that rarely ever feels like the typical Super Mario Maker level that is trying to troll the player. You can really feel the amount of time and effort that went into making this.

www.polygon.com

Super Mario Maker 2 creator releases ‘Super Mario Bros. 5’ after 7 years of work

Project pitched as ‘a classic Mario game that plays as if Nintendo created it themselves’

After what they describe as seven years of work, Metroid Mike 64 (aka Mikey_Mike on Switch Online) has built a spiritual successor to the original Mario tetralogy, boldly titled Super Mario Bros. 5.

Metroid Mike's Super Mario Bros. 5 contains 40 courses and eight full worlds.

Metroid Mike 64 insists that his Super Mario Bros. 5 isn't full of your standard Super Mario Maker trolls or goofs, like so many other Super Mario Maker 2 projects. In other words, it isn't a labyrinthian nightmare designed to infuriate you, it's measured and beatable. "I'm trying to provide you with something Nintendo should've done already, make a full Mario game within Super Mario Maker 2," Metroid Mike 64 tweeted.

If you want to check out the game for yourself, you can find it by searching Metroid Mike 64's Maker ID code on Super Mario Maker 2: OG9-XN4-FNF.

View: https://twitter.com/MetroidMike64/status/1574064204872646661

View: https://twitter.com/MetroidMike64/status/1574065222238756875

View: https://twitter.com/MetroidMike64/status/1574065412786065409

View: https://twitter.com/MetroidMike64/status/1574065796028006400

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
I've played up to about 2-2 or 2-3 on this so far, and it's okay. It's not really on par with Nintendo output, but they're decent Mario Maker levels. Extremely generous with coins and 1-ups though... probably to a fault. I had almost 30 lives before even finishing world 1.

Will play more later, though. A very cool pet project, to be sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Have we passed the statute of limitations on finally being able to say the majority of the user created levels he alludes to in his tweets were completely terrible?

Kaizo/themed levels, fine. The rest? Yeesh.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
This looks incredible and I can't wait to play it. Unfortunately, my copy of SMM2 is sitting on my shelf at home while I'm on the other side of the world. I picked out specific games for this trip and would have never imagined Mario Maker would have needed to be one of them. This might encourage me to go digital only in the future.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this on IGN earlier. They were saying that the creator wanted it to feel like an official Nintendo game, but the footage they were showing didn't look all that different from some of the other Super Mario Maker footage I've seen. But I guess it's possible that they weren't showing "SMB5" footage, but not very likely.

There was a Super Mario Bros. 4?

[Hidden content]

Super_Mario_Advance_4.png

I mean it's "Advance 4", but close enough!

But seriously, they probably consider SMW as SMB4.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Shame about no levels from the modern themes, but I'll totally have to try this

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I've played up to about 2-2 or 2-3 on this so far, and it's okay. It's not really on par with Nintendo output, but they're decent Mario Maker levels. Extremely generous with coins and 1-ups though... probably to a fault. I had almost 30 lives before even finishing world 1.

Will play more later, though. A very cool pet project, to be sure.

I mean I know people put the classic Mario levels on another level but really now, SMB1, SMB3 and SMW are not doing anything wildly interesting in the majority of levels. Even in the first 3 levels of this project, while I don't think it's amazing or anything, there is still about the same concept and design here compared to the starting 3 levels in any of the 2D Mario games I have played.

Lotta people are way too harsh on user generated levels as though the original 4 Mario games were bastions in level design from 1-1 to finish. They definitely were not. They're classics but lets not get pie in the sky about what the actual level design looks like in most of SMB1-SMB3 and SMW. The absolutely stellar levels in SMW definitely are harder to top but it is not a game filled top to bottom with stellar levels.

I saw this on IGN earlier. They were saying that the creator wanted it to feel like an official Nintendo game, but the footage they were showing didn't look all that different from some of the other Super Mario Maker footage I've seen. But I guess it's possible that they weren't showing "SMB5" footage, but not very likely.

By no means is anything in that super world jumping out as mind blowing but I swear there is a lot of imagined moment to moment gameplay in the original 4 games (and even NSMBU). You can very easily loop 30 second clips of any of those games and make them look boring.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been a long time since I played Mario Maker 2. I've heard good things so I'll give it a shot.

Mar 30, 2019
Super Mario World was referred to as Super Mario 4 in Japan yeah. I saw this recently so this seems like a good place to put it for those curious. Well made, informative and worth watchin'. It's long tho... but it's long tho!

View: https://youtu.be/s2bTQK6vbKI
youtu.be

The Story of Super Mario World

A documentary on the making of Super Mario World, the launch of the Super Nintendo, and how the game perfected the concepts of the Super Mario series.CHAPTER...

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
after playing through the first world it feels solid, but unremarkable

it's decent enough that I will play more to see if things pick up

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I know people dislike the NEW series because of the bland aesthetics, but level design wise they match and sometimes surpass the original four games. NSMB 1 absolutely deserves to be considered SMB5.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
after playing through the first world it feels solid, but unremarkable

it's decent enough that I will play more to see if things pick up

I would agree with this. Tbh I find that it is always going to be hard to make a super world that has mind bending ideas, keeps a seasoned mario player interested and starts at its A game.

Imo my best levels in Mario Maker are much more difficult than your average Nintendo 2D Mario level and that makes it by default a lot harder to compare to Nintendo's output. Certain concepts don't work well in Mario Maker if you cant bake in some difficulty. Just the way the tool set works

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to save or bookmark your progress, or do you have to do the whole thing in one run?

Also can we get a list of recommended levels, creators or worlds? I'm super out of the loop, haven't played this game in years.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to turn off course comments because it is very distracting and kind of ridiculous?

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These levels look underwhelming to me if you consider each level in isolation, and he's way too generious with coins so you can easily rack up 1ups which kills the tension. I would only play these kinds of classic levels if there is a tangible risk of getting game over and having to restart from level 1. The gimmick/themed stages in mario maker 2 are way better than these classic style stages.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I asked the author in the replies to his tweet but didn't get the answer I was looking for: am I tripping or wasn't there a (fan) website for Mario Maker 1 that was used to share mostly proper levels, not the shit flooding the top results ingame? Did I dream it and if not, is it still around?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to save or bookmark your progress, or do you have to do the whole thing in one run?

Also can we get a list of recommended levels, creators or worlds? I'm super out of the loop, haven't played this game in years.

Super Worlds all save your progress when you exit them. You just pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to turn off course comments because it is very distracting and kind of ridiculous?

Yes. Just press + in a level and the option to turn them off is there.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they, like me, don't understand what you meant in your post.
edit: hah

Not to appear like I'm de-railing, because I don't want be off-topic!

I am actually saying I'm quite excited for this pack of levels trying to evoke traditional Mario and wish there more like this but that's a fault of the game rather than the user-created content.

EDIT: saw Zero quoting me again too, hope the above helps?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I am actually saying I'm quite excited for this pack of levels trying to evoke traditional Mario and wish there more like this but that's a fault of the game rather than the user-created content.

Ah, we agree then. I don't understand why everyone ingame votes for the same gimmicky and annoying levels over and over again. I'm guessing it's mostly kids.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
i gotta give respect for the project tbh, even if some leves dont look super "Nintendo-like" im gonna try it

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Nintendo hire this guy!

Just kidding. Might as well give it a shot. Haven't touched the game since the days of that Link-update so may this be my final farewell for MM2.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
But Mario Maker 2 has only been out for 3 years? How has this been a 7 year project.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan

Your posts made perfect sense. The majority of levels you stumble upon, both in-game or in videos online, are either simple, half-baked gimmicky things or exceedingly difficult/trollish beyond even Kaizo (as the creator of "SMB5" himself alludes to in his tweets).

I'll definitely check this out, haven't touched MM2 in a good year at least.

Mungan

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It looks fine.
But I don't want to play more Nintendo-esque levels in a 2d mario.
The reason mario maker is so great is because creators could do stuff nintendo never would.