• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
dug out the game and played the first level, has a nice feel, well designed and some secrets to find, will play more later

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Our Nocturnowl (IIRC!) has done something similar and it was a great collection of levels. If someone plays through this and is looking for more well-designed classic Mario levels, have a look at it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I finished it. There are some well designed levels, but some of the later levels can be a real pain. Coulda done without the level that required you to have the mushroom to finish it and no way to replace it if you lose it without dying.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
count me in to the people who read that thread title wrong lol
I'll check it out, this looks fun!

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I do really enjoy a set of well-crafted levels in Super Mario Maker, so I'll definitely check this out!

If world is 4 than 5 already exists as Yoshi's Island. Dude shoulda called it 6 😂

So funny thing, the Gigaleak gave us this prototype image of Yoshi's Island:

Yoshi%27s_Island_%28ys_rom_0_D%29_Title_screen.png

Yup, that says Super Mario Bros. 5.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
NSMBW is imo just as inventive as SMB3 if you ask me.

Really? I feel like this is radically underselling how much new stuff SMB3 bought to the table. Technically, level theme wise, game mechanics, enemies. You name it. SMB3 set the template for 2D Mario games to this very day. None of the main games have stray far from it (unless you count Yoshi's Island)

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
but if World is 4 in japan, then Yoshi's Island isn't 5, because it doesn't have the "Super Mario World 2" title there

numbers have failed
Interestingly the proto for Yoshi's Island that surfaced in that huge Nintendo leak called it Super Mario Bros. 5

EduUM2KWsAEt-Pf.png

So funny thing, the Gigaleak gave us this prototype image of Yoshi's Island:

Yoshi%27s_Island_%28ys_rom_0_D%29_Title_screen.png

Yup, that says Super Mario Bros. 5.
And that's what I get for not refreshing!

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, Nintendo did Mario Maker 2 incredibly dirty with it's short lifecycle.

They had the platform and the volume of audience to make something truly special and they let it wither away from the zeitgeist.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I played a little bit and it gave me some ideas for new levels to make…might be getting sucked back in.

Also caught up in some ninji speed runs

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In retrospect, Nintendo did Mario Maker 2 incredibly dirty with it's short lifecycle.

They had the platform and the volume of audience to make something truly special and they let it wither away from the zeitgeist.
I agree. Maybe the game didn't sell well enough for Nintendo?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I agree. Maybe the game didn't sell well enough for Nintendo?

It did plenty well, they're just not interested in everything being a perpetual game as a service.

The existence of this thread alone shows people are still interested and making significant content for the game.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I did this same thing in Super Mario Maker creating a full 32 level Super Mario Bros 1 style game and Super Mario Maker 2 with a SMB3 style one. I wish more people had tried to invoke Nintendo design philosophy like me and this guy did. I can't wait to try his game out.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Not to appear like I'm de-railing, because I don't want be off-topic!

I am actually saying I'm quite excited for this pack of levels trying to evoke traditional Mario and wish there more like this but that's a fault of the game rather than the user-created content.

EDIT: saw Zero quoting me again too, hope the above helps?

There are lots of super worlds in SMM2 aiming to emulate a traditional Mario game. You certainly have to dig a little using the in game search function but there are more traditional levels (and I mean solid ones, not poor) than you would ever reasonably be able to play.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got Maker 2 recently but hadn't opened it. Is there a site or wiki or thread that recommends levels?

I was always interested in levels that recreated beta levels, demakes of 3D Mario levels, Mario Maker1/2 exclusive levels made by Nintendo,

Oct 27, 2017
You know IF Wii U launched with Super Mario Maker it may have been compelling enough to make a difference
No doubt. Even with how poorly the Wii U sold, Mario Maker made pretty huge waves online. If it and something like Rayman Legends had been there day one then the fate of the Wii U may have been very different.

I played the first two worlds and the levels have been fun. Nothing too fancy but it does use some tricks that I associate with Mario Maker more than traditional levels. That's not a bad thing. Seems like a solid mix so far.

Is there a way to save a run? I can use sleep mode but being able to resume my progress would allow me to space this out a bit more.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I just got Maker 2 recently but hadn't opened it. Is there a site or wiki or thread that recommends levels?

I was always interested in levels that recreated beta levels, demakes of 3D Mario levels, Mario Maker1/2 exclusive levels made by Nintendo,

Here are some traditional styled super worlds.

Pinktops - JN4-6J7-N3G
Phil32 - 4XW-VB1-VXG (posts on Era)
Nocturnowl: 8SJ-DFC-WMG (posts on Era)
Hero - CD4-1T7-PWG
Iggy2602 - 2TQ-2TC-FWG
Perrymaker - Q9C-C70-JBG
Pesca: VMF-6T8-Q1H (posts on Era)

That's about 250 levels. I have more but normally when I post these big lists people get choice paralysis so just keeping it short. If you crush all of those and still want more you can PM me.

Is there a way to save a run? I can use sleep mode but being able to resume my progress would allow me to space this out a bit more.

All super worlds save progress automatically.

Do you have to be subbed to Nintendo online to play this?

Yes.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
It's decent 2 worlds in. I would honestly say (and I don't mean this just to toot your horn) that there is a pretty notable gap in your favour between your super world and this.

Aw, well, I appreciate your comment immensely! Like this creator's Super World, mine originated in the original Super Mario Maker as well, so I'm excited to see how their Super World turned out. Love playing Nintendo-like levels, as they're my preferred type in Mario Maker games. Though that's not to say I don't appreciate other styles like Kaizo--I'm just bad at playing those. haha

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017

Its lifecycle was also further shortened by covid. There were indications (including reports by Imran and maybe others) that at the least they were also working on a Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) style but when the lockdowns and WFH came, they seemingly decided to just call it a day, bundle anything ready to ship into the final update, and abandon the rest. The game was originally planned to get more support.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I never felt compelled to play any MM2, user-generated stuff never interested me because it was all showy and goofy. I wanted more content like this. So I suppose I'll check this out. Looks fun.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Bookmarking this for later. Really makes me want to dust off my Super Mario Maker 2 game.

SMM2 is subject to Sturgeon's Law, but once you find the good content... It's a blast.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Super Mario World was referred to as Super Mario 4 in Japan yeah. I saw this recently so this seems like a good place to put it for those curious. Well made, informative and worth watchin'. It's long tho... but it's long tho!

View: https://youtu.be/s2bTQK6vbKI
youtu.be

The Story of Super Mario World

A documentary on the making of Super Mario World, the launch of the Super Nintendo, and how the game perfected the concepts of the Super Mario series.CHAPTER...

Is there a way to play this game now in Super Mario Maker 2 or anywhere else with upscaled graphics? I loved this game.

Sorry I am so out of the loop of what's been re-released over the years or what Nintendo is doing to refresh old SNES titles.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I made a note of this yesterday to get around to when Nintendolife mentioned it, and now it's popped up on all sorts of sites.

I must confess, I do wonder what's prompted this wave of media response compared to all the other well crafted super worlds out there, the idea of making a "nintendo like" Super World or a pseudo SMB sequel isn't uncommon among level creators (some right here in this thread even!), is it just because of how belated this one is?

It's a bold claim to be SMB5 as Nintendo would do it at any rate, I can't help but feel like the creator's stylistic fingerprints will still be noticeable, and honestly I'd consider that for the better, one of the great things about super worlds even when designed in a traditional manner, is the way players can step outside the box and whip up some creative spins on the Mario formula.

For example solarhorse had some really inventive theming for their superworld (World ID: VY4-KLS-C2H)
I don't think this one was mentioned yet.

Anyway, I'll check this out.

Our Nocturnowl (IIRC!) has done something similar and it was a great collection of levels. If someone plays through this and is looking for more well-designed classic Mario levels, have a look at it.
Aww shucks, you do remember correctly, though I'd consider mine to not be as inherently traditional as trying to make a Super Mario Bros Sequel, just a hopefully fair platformer.

Ditto to Gotdatmoney for the mention, the glue of our once popping OT, did you ever get around to finishing your superworld in the end? I've just turned on the game after a long break and they're still trickling in it seems!

Well if they want to share it again here I'd love to give it a try.

May as well throw my slapdash promotional banner in here, but behind a spoiler as to not feel like I'm hijacking the thread
FvqC6gu.jpg

Though to expand on what I was saying to Kazooie, I think I'd specify that my design mindset is more in line with a DKC game in gimmicks and challenge, and was designed around the kind of Mario Maker player who inherently understands what you can do with all the different styles and items of the game (effectively, I wanted to use a bit of everything), which makes it a bit more of a grab bag where I ended up almost tripping up Xtortion because I just assumed he knew how the fluttering kuribo's shoe worked to get maximum height, and I still feel bad for his trauma lol

Going back through this earlier this year after time away from it definitely had me note where I felt I could toot my own horn like "I did good" and where I could've really tightened up the graphics on level 3 level design, just to set some expectations first *ahem*, because I never went back to edit them, the game kinda makes editing stages you already uploaded a net loss.

No NSMB or 3DWorld levels is the cowards way out
Unironically this
Missing out on wall jumps, squirrel suits and the 3D World gimmicks is like needlessly handicapping your options I say!

Mar 30, 2019
Is there a way to play this game now in Super Mario Maker 2 or anywhere else with upscaled graphics? I loved this game.

Sorry I am so out of the loop of what's been re-released over the years or what Nintendo is doing to refresh old SNES titles.
If you mean Super Mario World (vs Super Mario 5 lol), I only know offhand that it is on the SNES NSO along with other releases like with the SNES mini or eshop releases (3DS/WiiU) from older consoles.

I actually started another run with World because of this topic and the NSO save state/rewind feature is pretty nice to have. Although, I decided to beat it this time without (!) switch blocks, never tried that before.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, so many great Super Mario Maker 2 creators on ERA, Gotdatmoney and Nocturnowl included. I remember being addicted to their levels and greatly impressed by them. I'll need to check out the others that Gotdatmoney listed earlier to refresh my memory on the levels, or better yet, experience them again or for the first time.

Since there's so much renewed interest thanks to Metroid Mike's dedication and hard work, I'll share my makeshift box art from back at Super World's launch for my Super World of levels. It also had the aim of creating traditional-like levels, and incorporates every Mario style save for SMB. I wanted to make a special final bonus level incorporating the SMB style to make it extra special as a level, but I never got around to it. :(

FdrV8L0WYAEh97Q

Hope that isn't too big of an image for folks. If it is, let me know and I'll put it behind a spoiler/quote or something!

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I made a note of this yesterday to get around to when Nintendolife mentioned it, and now it's popped up on all sorts of sites.

I must confess, I do wonder what's prompted this wave of media response compared to all the other well crafted super worlds out there, the idea of making a "nintendo like" Super World or a pseudo SMB sequel isn't uncommon among level creators (some right here in this thread even!), is it just because of how belated this one is?
This may sound dumb but, as many things: timing and marketing. People like me have been thinking back on Mario Maker lately and were waiting for an excuse to play it again (and were put off by the awful search function ingame). Then a somewhat viral tweet talking about classic levels in a SMB5 style caught my attention and that of others, and from there it became even more viral.
Anyway, thanks for sharing! I'll pass this on on a Nintendo focused server I'm on where people I've been interested in finding nice levels to play.
Thanks Phil32 too. I'm gonna play all the levels shared here on stream in the coming days ☺️ (I'm just a no name small streamer but I've been wanting to stream Mario Maker for a while and I have a few friends who were also looking for a reason to boot up MM2 again).

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
This may sound dumb but, as many things: timing and marketing. People like me have been thinking back on Mario Maker lately and were waiting for an excuse to play it again (and were put off by the awful search function ingame). Then a somewhat viral tweet talking about classic levels in a SMB5 style caught my attention and that of others, and from there it became even more viral.This may sound dumb but, as many things: timing and marketing. People like me have been thinking back on Mario Maker lately and were waiting for an excuse to play it again (and were put off by the awful search function ingame). Then a somewhat viral tweet talking about classic levels in a SMB5 style caught my attention and that of others, and from there it became even more viral.
Anyway, thanks for sharing! I'll pass this on on a Nintendo focused server I'm on where people I've been interested in finding nice levels to play.
Thanks Phil32 too. I'm gonna play all the levels shared here on stream in the coming days ☺️ (I'm just a no name small streamer but I've been wanting to stream Mario Maker for a while and I have a few friends who were also looking for a reason to boot up MM2 again).

Ooh, would love to watch--and I don't just mean you playing my levels! I'm interested in seeing others' levels too on stream. That and I enjoy supporting small streamers as opposed to ones where you can't get a word in chat edge-wise. ha Would motivate me to get back to the game most likely, as it's one of my favorite Switch games.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If you mean Super Mario World (vs Super Mario 5 lol), I only know offhand that it is on the SNES NSO along with other releases like with the SNES mini or eshop releases (3DS/WiiU) from older consoles.

I actually started another run with World because of this topic and the NSO save state/rewind feature is pretty nice to have. Although, I decided to beat it this time without (!) switch blocks, never tried that before.
ok thank you.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I wouldn't go that far with NSMB1. It's a good game but NSMBU is where the design truly shines. Fantastic game.

yup agreed with this 100%

NSMBU recycling the "new" aesthetic really betrays the absolutely amazing level design. Even though the game sold really well, I feel like a lot of people probably missed out thinking it was more of the same

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, i'm sure the game might be good, even great and all, but 7 years to make only 40 levels?

they had better be the best 40 levels in platforming, is all i'm saying

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
i mean, i'm sure the game might be good, even great and all, but 7 years to make only 40 levels?

they had better be the best 40 levels in platforming, is all i'm saying

It's one person and we don't know how actively or intensely they were working on the project either. Some people move at different speeds. Even of they aren't the best levels ever these things can still take time. As I always say "if you think it's easy, show us"

Ditto to Gotdatmoney for the mention, the glue of our once popping OT, did you ever get around to finishing your superworld in the end? I've just turned on the game after a long break and they're still trickling in it seems!

No worries about the mention. You're world had some really standout levels in it. I remembered enjoying the heck outta it. I forgot to add Solarhorses world to my list. That Martini themed level of his is such a standout in visuals.

Yeah levels for my world are still coming in. Who knows if I'll ever finish it though. I dont get much time to work on it these days with school and work. I definitely made a mistake going 100% new levels with no transplants 😅 Especially with how difficult my newest levels have trended. I'll have to go back and do a difficulty reducing pass.

This may sound dumb but, as many things: timing and marketing. People like me have been thinking back on Mario Maker lately and were waiting for an excuse to play it again (and were put off by the awful search function ingame). Then a somewhat viral tweet talking about classic levels in a SMB5 style caught my attention and that of others, and from there it became even more viral.

I always watch Mario Maker being streamed so if you stream on Twitch, solid chance I have watched you at some point.