• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I purchased a Switch yesterday and in my attempt to control my gaming time I laid my options for games as either Mario Odyssey or Zelda. I ended up going with Mario as it was speaking to me more at that moment and I dont regret it at all. I would say I am on maybe the 3rd or 4th world and its pure nostalgia since my favorite Mario was the 64 version. I'll pick up Zelda probably in a couple of weeks but man this already has solidified my purchase.

I just 100% the game. What a ride. I'm interested to see what my playtime is, probably around 50 hours.

The good:
- Hat mechanics a fresh take on power ups
- Split joycon controls. I never realised how satisfying it is to play games with my arms folded.
- The whole final sequence, ending and post-game kingdom (initial surprise by a certain portrait warp was jaw dropping)

The meh:
Ruined Kingdom. At first I didn't mind the whole contrasting styles of kingdoms, but this one was a bit much for my taste. The battle itself was fun, but the aesthetic of it all just felt way too far off.
- Filler moons (we all know which ones I'm talking about)

The bad:
- No ability to map controls for those who do not want to play with joycons. I understand the simple control scheme was designed to enable single joycon control, but that doesn't mean they can't at least provide options for the other playstyles. This could be fixed in a patch though.
- Crooked titles when you enter a location, unless my eyes are deceiving me

I felt the game was easy enough to be played by all ages, but still provided some challenge for advanced players. Most of my deaths were due to trying to take shortcuts or speed run routes, by the time I got to the master footraces (which I usually saved for last on each Kingdom) I had pretty much learned the maps and fastest ways of traversal.

The most annoying challenge:
The invisible path with poison piranha plants remix which bans Cappy. If you take it slow it's probably not really an issue, but I gots to go FAST!!!

Easily my GOTY.

macapala

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The invisible path with poison piranha plants remix which bans Cappy. If you take it slow it's probably not really an issue, but I gots to go FAST!!![/spoiler
How do you beat that challenge. I got to the end but the moon was still locked in the cage. Do you have to kill all the piranha plants?

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There aren't 999 unique moons. The game allows you to buy a bunch of generic moons, to both allow players to unlock some end game content without getting some moons the traditional way if they desire (I don't recommend this, as the game has more than enough manageable moons to collect and you really only need 500 to see the vast majority of the game's content) and there's also a small reward for having a total of 999 moons. I wouldn't buy any extra moons (beyond the first moon you purchase in each kingdom) until you've gotten 100% of the moons in the game world. Otherwise, you're just wasting money.

Edit - I don't really consider any of the above to be "spoilery", but I went ahead and tagged it anyway.
Good to know, thanks for the explanation!

And speaking of power ups, I do miss traditional power ups tbh. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to see at least a few of the classics.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got through the luncheon race.

Lots of little improvements I could make, but even then it's still off the top score by almost 10 seconds. I don't know what kind of route they're taking to get that kind of time.

I wish this game had recordings to watch like Tropical Freeze had.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I beat the game... it's solid. Absolutely a HUELEN/10.

Did I enjoy it? It has its charm.

Did I love it? It has a love in it.

I don't know, there were just too many levels for me that looked cool, but we're that much fun for me. Levels I thought I would dread, I loved, and vice versa. Some control choices are curious, and I think the game is complete, but... I guess even with my favorite serious, open world isn't for me.

BTW, I have no idea how anyone can beat this game with a Pro Controller. How do you move, aim, and shoot with the Sherm without doing some horrid claw thing?

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, I have no idea how anyone can beat this game with a Pro Controller. How do you move, aim, and shoot with the Sherm without doing some horrid claw thing?

The game doesn't ask you to do anything super intensive with that capture. The targets are slow moving or not moving at all, so there's plenty of time to move the stick then shoot. And maybe throw in some gyro to fine tune your aim like splatoon. It's not like a fast moving pc shooter or anything.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta be kidding me. It's been a week and I never knew you could shake the controller to do a super high jump as a frog. Just spent nearly an hour tearing my hair out trying to find out how to get high enough for that moon above a house in the Cap Kingdom before finally realizing it because of the text right in front of my eyes. Jesus.

And I wanted an option to remove the on screen text every time you control something... yeah nevermind.

SuperSysom

Oct 27, 2017
Saudi Arabia
Am I the only who feels that the level design in Odyssey is less creative compared to Galaxy? I mean, Galaxy have a very strong level design, a genius one! Compared to levels like
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
, Galaxy have the upper hand here.
I'm also upset about the camera here, it sucks a lot :(, Bosses are meh unlike Galaxy series.
Otherwise, this game is a master piece, I enjoyed it a lot, I have 650 Moons and I'll keep going till I collect every single moon. It's a tradition I used to have it "Beat every Mario 3D game 100%", because it's worth it.

*guys, how can I hide spoilers using my phone?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Started it tonight and already completed a bunch of worlds. Game seems to flow by quick if you don't try to grab every item. Loving it so far altho the worlds are far smaller than expected. Not the sprawling open world I thought it would be like BotW. But still, the boss battles have been super fun and level design is top notch. I'll probably be able to finish the main game tomorrow at this rate.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the True Final Level unless
there's something beyond 500 Moons
and returned to the TRUE final boss

Jumprope

And I wasted my life a lot
And I got 1008
And I'm kind of proud but it's an ugly number and I kind of want to fix it with a 1025 or something LOL

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
Trying to use an amiibo to help find a missing moon. Uncle amiibo isn't recognizing any of the amiibo I have though. Can you use them only once or something?

I'm holding right on the dpad and the amiibo logo pops up, but it just won't register when I place the amiibo on the right stick...

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only who feels that the level design in Odyssey is less creative compared to Galaxy? I mean, Galaxy have a very strong level design, a genius one! Compared to levels like
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
, Galaxy have the upper hand here.
I'm also upset about the camera here, it sucks a lot :(, Bosses are meh unlike Galaxy series.
Otherwise, this game is a master piece, I enjoyed it a lot, I have 650 Moons and I'll keep going till I collect every single moon. It's a tradition I used to have it "Beat every Mario 3D game 100%", because it's worth it.

Given what the specific games are trying to accomplish I find Odyssey to be just as strong as Galaxy. One, it's clearly trying to be more grounded in a sense of place than galaxy, so you're not gonna see some of the more abstract stuff that galaxy did. Despite that, the game still has plenty of surprises and off the wall stuff I never thought I'd see in a Mario game. Two, it is specifically built to be more open, so of course it's going to be significantly different. There's probably no way around that without making each level tedious to traverse. And given that design goal, it's master class. I can't think of any open 3D platformer out there that has level design that can compete the majority of the stages in this game. Between the actual, physical design of the levels, the unique movement options given per level (and the ways you can often chain them together thanks to their placement), and the various offshoots and separate challenge rooms, even 64 and sunshine are a step below this game. Even smaller stages like lake and snow are fun to traverse with the way their layout all fits together.

Galaxy is probably the perfect form of that specific style, but I don't think that automatically makes it stronger than what Odyssey is accomplishing with it's own style.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Okay, I'm a little late to this, but I'm knee-deep into the post game now. The game really clicked with me once I got to NDC. Just going back to the worlds one by one to get all the coins and power moons.

Initial end of the story was a lot of fun, wasn't expecting that at all! Also, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking

That Dragon of the ruined kingdom was really out of left field. Wish we could've explored the Ruined Kingdom
. I have to admit the clashing between realism and cartoon still bug me. It's like the exact opposite of the Tentalus boss fight in Zelda Skyward Sword.

Couple of quick questions.

How does the Wedding Bowser Amiibo work? I read that he's supposed to help you find the local coins, but I scanned him, he roars, and then nothing.

So, am I reading correctly in the posts above that there's really no point to the "Buy 10 moons at a time" thing? It doesn't count toward completion, is solely to unlock other costumes and locations quicker?

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beat it for the first time with 407 moons.

....I think that's waaaaaaay more than the norm. I was just having so much fun looking around for everything!

Peach rejecting Mario's proposal was hilarious; wasn't expecting an ending like that

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Lots of little improvements I could make, but even then it's still off the top score by almost 10 seconds. I don't know what kind of route they're taking to get that kind of time.

Just when I thought I was pretty decent at Mario and video games in general! impressive stuff. What control option are you using here, please?

I need to go practice :)

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017

there are things I am never going to pull off in this game still nice to see though

Oct 25, 2017
Just when I thought I was pretty decent at Mario and video games in general! impressive stuff. What control option are you using here, please?

I need to go practice :)

I just use the pro controller. I don't do actual speedruns. I just find what other people are doing online and try to copy it for fun, so I don't need to use the joycon.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
So I just finished the ending with
Bowser getting ditched on the moon.. After the credits roll I'm suddenly at a new Kingdom. Is the game not finished? How many more worlds are there?

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying watching people speed run Odyssey. Any% is hours faster than the Galaxy games and it's getting close to Sunshine's any%. Haven't really seen anyone doing 100% runs.

Oct 25, 2017

This is the fastest score in luncheon, my best is 24.5

Damn, those little optimizations make up so much time. I figured the hat-catch jump would be the most efficient way off the roof, but it's soooooo difficult to time it. You have to take into account how long it will take Mario to run to the edge and how long it will take cappy to return to Mario.

I've been enjoying watching people speed run Odyssey. Any% is hours faster than the Galaxy games and it's getting close to Sunshine's any%. Haven't really seen anyone doing 100% runs.

100% runs seem unlikely, but I'd like to see people try.

Something like an all story or all bosses run would be great. Whatever gets more out of the game.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That ending...wow. This game is just pure joy.

Crossed the 600 moon mark. Gotta get that 3 missing coins on some kingdoms.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
God I cannot beat
the second Koopa race in the lake kingdom. They all just get ahead of me in the underwater tunnel
Try to go the short route up the wall to the left of your starting point (i.e., the wall where the stairs usually are). You need a side flick against the wall approximately where the water is just deep enough to walk through, a wall jump, then a cap throw towards the wall. If it goes above, just dive and you'll make it. Takes a bit of practice, but it may sound harder than it is and it guarantees you a win.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
ummm am I stupid or what but how do I leave peach's kingdom and return to previous levels? I see all the paintings but they just take me to harder boss fights

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I read a few complaints about the final boss, but I loved it. That entire sequence,
complete with Sonic butt rock,
was priceless. And now the real game begins

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the (big post-game spoilers)
Darker Side of the Moon
. is bullsheeeet. Gonna have to take a break and calm down.

NiteJohn

Oct 25, 2017
This is started to get silly but what I stated in the review thread continues to be true. Mario and Zelda seem to be mirrors. I loved BOTW when I first played it. Its my favorite Zelda. I didn't like Odyssey as much as I did Zelda. That the exact opposite of how it usually goes. But the movement in this game. There nothing like it. It the best. So now I have two GOTY and GOTG, maybe even GOAT. The movement is too good. Good on Nintendo for releasing two of my favorite games in one year. I can't wait to see more speed runs.

Robiin

Oct 26, 2017
Speedrun world record is getting lower and lower. New routes about which moons to pick up show up all the time. Really fun run to watch.

Here's the current WR (1h16min)