• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Cool Easter egg i haven't seen mentioned

after you beat the Darker Side, and you go back to the beginning of the level and see Pauline, she's wearing a Mario hat and she says "Go, Mario! Jump, Man!"
I snapped a pic because I loved it so much.

O8aE9Fc.jpg

OMG, just found the painting in Luncheon World. These emotions.... the nostalgia is strong in this game.
You have no idea. Don't look at my spoiler unless you don't care about a post game outfit and location.

xDvlUWz.jpg

Oh, one other fun shot I took of post game content because I'm a Hans Christian Andersen fan.

zGRwRtq.jpg

The emperor has no clothes!

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell are people managing to do all these Broodal fights on the moon with no heart drops. The moon makes landing half of this stuff so fiddly with the floaty physics. Driving me mad.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to replay the whole moon escape sequence again?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I finally 100%ed this game. Every moon, every purple coin, every costume and optional endeavor – I even maxed out the coin counter just for fun. Took me roughly 60 hours and two weeks to do it.

Absolutely magical experience. Taking the cartridge out of my Switch felt like saying goodbye to an old friend. As of right now this is without a doubt in my mind the greatest game of all time.
23509139_136817880662t9rnu.jpg

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
How the hell are people managing to do all these Broodal fights on the moon with no heart drops. The moon makes landing half of this stuff so fiddly with the floaty physics. Driving me mad.
You can cheese this by returning to the area before the tower between fights and throwing your hat on one of the fruit stems for one of those 6 hit hearts

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I posted in this thread earlier. How it wasnt quite clicking with me. I take it back now. I'm having so much fun postgame going through each world and uncovering all the moons. Still havent fully decided but I'd say the only kingdoms that I'm still iffy on is Seaside and Desert kingdoms. Both of those seem a lot less content packed and not quite as fun. Although I'll go back and see. I think I've had more fun post-game than during the main game. It may also be that I was rushing through to see all of the worlds. Now that I've seen most of them, I have more so leisurely been exploring the kingdoms.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I posted in this thread earlier. How it wasnt quite clicking with me. I take it back now. I'm having so much fun postgame going through each world and uncovering all the moons. Still havent fully decided but I'd say the only kingdoms that I'm still iffy on is Seaside and Desert kingdoms. Both of those seem a lot less content packed and not quite as fun. Although I'll go back and see. I think I've had more fun post-game than during the main game. It may also be that I was rushing through to see all of the worlds. Now that I've seen most of them, I have more so leisurely been exploring the kingdoms.

I wasn't a big fan of seaside when I first visited it, but going back I fell in love. It's just an incredibly dense and well designed kingdom.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love the silly humor in the game. Like when you're first starting out, the map/tourist guide tells you about how that stone spire has been standing for eons, then of course Mario proceeds to blow it up in order to use as a bridge.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Well that's #880, and also the last hat I needed to unlock. A little over 40 hours according to my play log. This moon was easier (and shorter) than people made it sound. Maybe I skipped a bunch of it, I thought I remembered someone saying there was a Bullet Bill part, but there was no Bullet Bill part.
DOjCRTHVoAEY8_A.jpg

I don't know what to do with myself now that I can't just mess around with finding moons to kill an hour and two.

Other things I did
- Finished the final Sphinx quiz
- Beat the harder Bowser fight
- Collected all the costumes
- Collected all the transformations (there's actually a few that aren't required for a moon)

I'm not grinding coins to get 999, because that's just stupid and tedious. I think they will eventually add DLC to add the remaining 119. I really hope they do DLC or an update or something because I want to do more with this game.

The jump rope, frisbee and matching the face pieces minigames were junk and were some of the last moons I got. Getting 9999 coins was also a pain. An hour of just playing the same bonus stage over and over again.

I played pretty much the entire end game (the final 300 moons or so) as Metal Mario, but thought I should be "regular" Mario to finish off the game. Beating it as Metal Mario made it seem like the final scene would be boring with no face or hand motions

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Well that's #880, and also the last hat I needed to unlock. A little over 40 hours according to my play log. This moon was easier (and shorter) than people made it sound. Maybe I skipped a bunch of it, I thought I remembered someone saying there was a Bullet Bill part, but there was no Bullet Bill part.
DOjCRTHVoAEY8_A.jpg

I don't know what to do with myself now that I can't just mess around with finding moons to kill an hour and two.

Other things I did
- Finished the final Sphinx quiz
- Beat the harder Bowser fight
- Collected all the costumes
- Collected all the transformations (there's actually a few that aren't required for a moon)

I'm not grinding coins to get 999, because that's just stupid and tedious. I think they will eventually add DLC to add the remaining 119. I really hope they do DLC or an update or something because I want to do more with this game.

The jump rope, frisbee and matching the face pieces minigames were junk and were some of the last moons I got. Getting 9999 coins was also a pain. An hour of just playing the same bonus stage over and over again.

I played pretty much the entire end game (the final 300 moons or so) as Metal Mario, but thought I should be "regular" Mario to finish off the game. Beating it as Metal Mario made it seem like the final scene would be boring with no face or hand motions

I also saved that moon for my final moon. I was pretty emotional as I was climbing the looonnnngg tower and even hesitated for a few seconds once I got to the top before pressing A to jump and grab it.

Also, that final challenge was legitimately fun. Grandmaster Galaxy in SMG2 was hard and frustrating, but this was hard and enjoyable. I instantly wanted to play it all over again.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I also saved that moon for my final moon. I was pretty emotional as I was climbing the looonnnngg tower and even hesitated for a few seconds once I got to the top before pressing A to jump and grab it.

Also, that final challenge was legitimately fun. Grandmaster Galaxy in SMG2 was hard and frustrating, but this was hard and enjoyable. I instantly wanted to play it all over again.
Yea, I waited a bit to grab it to make sure Cappy was done talking. And also because it meant the game was over and I had nothing left to do.

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about the carrying case that comes with the switch + odyssey bundle. What kind of case is it that comes included? Is it one you can just buy at the store but an Odyssey themed one? Or is it a unique kind of case just for the bundle?

Same goes for the Breath of the Wild carrying case that came with the specials edition for that game.

Just wondering basically if I can get either case on the market or if the cases are uniquely available through those bundles, don't really care about the theme of them just wondering about the cases specifically.

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm way behind on this thread, but is there much discussion about the difficulty and seemingly mostly obvious paths and "puzzles" to getting the moons? The levels feel so linear, despite being open. Yes, I can go for this moon or that moon or that moon, but the path to get each moon just feels so straightforward, for the most part. Maybe my memory is hazy of 64, but I just recall it being much more of a puzzle and much more of a project/quest to get each star whereas in Odyssey it feels like an incredibly basic task with little thought or challenge. Maybe the game opens up more after the point I'm at (just got to New Donk) but I'm really hoping I've barely scratched the surface and am proven wrong.
You dont get kicked out of the level each time you get the progression moons so maybe thats why you feel that way.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My GOD. The end game stuff... The
rabbit boss rush... Fucking pissing me off. The camera keeps fucking me up. During the second portion of each rabbit the camera just decides to top down for no reason at all, meaning i cant see the shit coming at me from the sides. I either need to perfect my claw grip to be able to simultaniously override the shitty camer and also jump/throw, or guess at which way fucking hats are coming at menfrom the side to hit them away. Seriousky the only reason i keep dying. Ive been at this for the last week. Its threatening to be the reason i quit the game.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting closer and closer to 999 Moons and I really don't want this game to end, lol. I guess I could start a new file, but I also have a backlog to finish.

I really hope Nintendo decides to do DLC.

ckfy63a

Oct 28, 2017
a place beyond seeing...
Has anyone else noticed that if you throw your hat at or jump on the Glass Tower Model souvenir from the Seaside Kingdom (while in the Odyssey), you can feel the HD rumble sensation of two ice cubes in a glass of water while holding the Joy-Con? Possible reference to this, as Koizumi is the game's producer?

5037.ice.jpg_5F00_large.jpeg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, it's a good thing Darkest Side of the Moon has a lot of coins because otherwise I would've tossed my joycons out a window by now.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
What happens if you run out of coins, anyway? Ended up not running into that situation.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can re-fight Bowser and perform the escape sequence via the painting hung in the church.

My bad, added spoiler tags.
This, along with being able to replay
the New Donk City festival,
make the game even more awesome than it already was. I love the fact that Nintendo added these options.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I want to see DLC mini-campaigns where you just play as some of the various characters that you can capture in the game. Give each one an extra move or two to flesh them out a bit.

Basically, I want to play Super Pokio Odyssey.

And Super Bowser Odyssey

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone figured out the best way to get coins in the game, besides the slot minigame? So far I have found that the cloud minigame in Wooded kingdom is the best way, the only issue is that you have to get the seed in order to activate the minigame every single time, but it can net you 230+ coins. If you include getting coins from the coin coffer (which is right before the seed dispenser then that makes it 260+ coints

Last edited:

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have a question about the carrying case that comes with the switch + odyssey bundle. What kind of case is it that comes included? Is it one you can just buy at the store but an Odyssey themed one? Or is it a unique kind of case just for the bundle?

Same goes for the Breath of the Wild carrying case that came with the specials edition for that game.

Just wondering basically if I can get either case on the market or if the cases are uniquely available through those bundles, don't really care about the theme of them just wondering about the cases specifically.

I have the bundle case. Pretty barebones. The ones on Amazon look way better.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017

The case is Odyssey themed. It's pretty nice. I haven't seen it sold separately anywhere, I think it's unique to the bundle, at least for now.

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
Just beat the main story.

What an incredible game. Think I'll take a bit of a break before diving into post-game stuff. I tried to get pretty much every moon in each kingdom before moving on (with some exceptions, screw jump rope) so I'm a little burnt out. Standing ovation to Nintendo. I hadn't owned a Nintendo console since the NES, but this was the type of experience I wanted out of my Switch. Good old fashioned fun gameplay, a relief from the typical AAA games I've been playing far too much of over the past few years.

Brought me back to my childhood, hunting for secrets in Mario 3. Bravo.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I must be the only one here who isn't completely enamored with SMO. It's fun—don't get me wrong—but it's not holding my interest the way I hoped. I beat the main game and for the first time ever in any 3D Mario, I can't be bothered to find all the moons. *shrug*

Or just hit the "+" button to see a drop down of a few other tags this board supports.

EDIT: Just saw this.

That's legitimately one of the most awesome fan creations of anything I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Beach Volleyball Hero done! It even became almost enjoyable in the end, as my high score went from a frustrating 60 then 68 to a slightly ludicrous 180. It's definitely all about the hat throw rather than moving Mario. Jump Rope Genius, though, I'm not sure that I'll ever manage.

381 moons now and I *think* that I'm approaching the campaign endgame
Moon Kingdom
...it's been a really great ride, but I don't intend to stop until I get to 100% - or as close as I possible can.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying the 500 moon level...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this level
It's definitely hard for different reason than Champion's Road or Special 8 Crown. Less focus on challenging platforming and more on enduring all of the sections in one go, and figuring out the best way to do that.

By the time i beat it, i thought they were too generous with hearts throughout the level. Will definitely be going back through it to challenge myself further.

Really enjoyed the level though. It's a great culmination of the entire game and ends it perfectly. In those regards, it's much better than the other ending levels of the most recent 3D Marios.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't use a guide for a single moon, Hint Toad and the parrot were always enough to help me find the moons. Only used Bowser Amiibo in the beach level to find the last three purple coins I was missing.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to save 9999 coins and bought
the skeleton outfit. 2Spooky4me man.
Been trying the 500 moon level...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this level
You can get a big heart at the beggining by beating the ufo-hat thing. There's a heart at the start of the lava bubble section and behind the onion stage that you can get as lava bubble. A big heart again under the Sphinx. You need to focus on reaching the Bowser paiting with 1 health point, as Bowser acts as a power up and gives you full 6 health.
That means that you can choose to tank some damage at some points.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's such a different layer to this game on e you've only got a handful of moons and purple coins to discover in a Kingdom.

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio, USA
Has anyone figured out the best way to get coins in the game, besides the slot minigame? So far I have found that the cloud minigame in Wooded kingdom is the best way, the only issue is that you have to get the seed in order to activate the minigame every single time, but it can net you 230+ coins. If you include getting coins from the coin coffer (which is right before the seed dispenser then that makes it 260+ coints

The consensus I've seen (and the method I used) was the use the cloud area in
Bowser's Kingdom
. It gets you 180 coins and the seed is right next to the pot.

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
One of the themes I like in this game is the celebration of diversity and cross-cultural exchange. You get a bit of this in the main story-there are a handful of tourists scattered around, and some Tostarenan entrepreneurs have already set up their slots business in New Donk City-but it just explodes in the post-game. Suddenly, every kingdom is full of visitors from every other kingdom, talking and comparing and getting new ideas by experiencing different places and peoples, sharing their cultures. There's one scene in particular:

When you return to the Moon Kingdom, just west of the ship's landing zone there's a group of people from every kingdom, or close to it at least, sitting on a ridge and looking up at the Earth, talking about how beautiful it is and how small their individual kingdoms seem.

And it's just...nice, you know?

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
One of the themes I like in this game is the celebration of diversity and cross-cultural exchange. You get a bit of this in the main story-there are a handful of tourists scattered around, and some Tostarenan entrepreneurs have already set up their slots business in New Donk City-but it just explodes in the post-game. Suddenly, every kingdom is full of visitors from every other kingdom, talking and comparing and getting new ideas by experiencing different places and peoples, sharing their cultures. There's one scene in particular:

When you return to the Moon Kingdom, just west of the ship's landing zone there's a group of people from every kingdom, or close to it at least, sitting on a ridge and looking up at the Earth, talking about how beautiful it is and how small their individual kingdoms seem.

And it's just...nice, you know?

That's only because this game doesn't show the Metro Kingdom's subsequent capitalist expansion into and exploitation of these now-stable markets. Their system literally runs on Power Moons; how do you think they're going to sustain it?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
That's only because this game doesn't show the Metro Kingdom's subsequent capitalist expansion into and exploitation of these now-stable markets. Their system literally runs on Power Moons; how do you think they're going to sustain it?
You joke but I seriously had a "Oh GOD" moment when I first went into the power plant and turned the camera around haha... In a weird way it made me feel uncomfortable to see all those power moons being used like in a factory haha