• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Credits rolled tonight. Great game with some very special worlds/moments. Has some problems, like missing challenge and reused bosses, but I love Cappy and hope this ain't the end of him.

I'm no completionist/fan of collectathons so this'll be it for me.
Don't stop now, seriously check out some of the post game. Some of the best platforming in the game is there and the game still has plenty to offer before descending into a collectathon.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Finished all moons. I maintain my stance that this was my favorite Mario since 64 (coming from someone that fell out of the franchise). I can agree that there is a lack of challenge in most areas of the game including post game, but it wasn't so bad. I liked the adventure aspect. I will say that the bloat via moons in end game wasn't the best. I did all moons by world as I went so going back to pick up moons in non sub levels wasn't really that fun or additive to the experience. The final challenge of the game wasn't close to 3D World's final challenge. Not even remotely close. lol

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One moon left to go. Too tired tonight, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning. No idea how long the last area will take.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the post game and the simplicity of the game starts to show. The several worlds are themselves actually quite small and once their nuances and secrets begin to unravel the depth feels reduced. Many, many moons are incredibly simple and formulaic in approach. I don't think it's a major issue but for my personal taste the impact of the game has been lessened as the process of acquiring moons becomes routine, and the sense of reward reduced as they're handed out like candy and without much challenge. The game is at its best when you're faced with a more complex challenge, reflect or cerebral (or both!), knowing there's a moon at the end. The platforming specific challenges are good examples, as are the more inventive, hidden moons. I feel the game probably has far, far too many moons. I totally dig why they did it and why some might like it, but the abundance trivializes the sense of reward. And it's hard to just go for the "fun moons" or anything like that when there's no way to differentiate them. You're basically left running around scooping up whatever you can. It makes the moment-to-moment play working through the first time very satisfying, but burns out pretty quickly in the last half (or more) for people like me.

This is the polar opposite of something like Galaxy 2 where I felt almost if not every single star was a reward to be worked towards. No fluff stars or stopgaps filling the play space in between, as the game relied on interactive challenge instead.

I do think a lot of these issues I have with the game can be pinpointed on Nintendo working with a formula/template that's pretty fresh for them at the moment. It's been a long time since Mario 64, and the hat mechanic would have required a lot of trial and error alongside a lot of work building new posessable characters. I really hope we see an Odyssey 2 where Nintendo is more comfortable and focused with the vision, able to make up for some of Odyssey's "first in the series" weaknesses.

Great game, but yeah. For me doesn't have anywhere near the completionist draw and strong pacing right to the end of Galaxy 2, which is still my gold standard of the series.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017

Can we all agree that Steam Garden is the best tune in the whole game

It's the only song in the game that grates on me, actually. It's all right, but I can't stand listening to it for more than a couple of loops when out and exploring. That's part of the reason I've left off completing the Wooded Kingdom for last, along with the heavy segmentation of that level. At least when I go back, I'll be able to
play my own music.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Got all the moons in the tropical kingdom and yet I'm still missing three coins. These things are the real hardcore collectibles in the game.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Low grav boss rush sucks
Got to dark side of the moon and keep mucking up because of the low grav so having to repeat 3 bosses.

Also Mario can breathe in space but not underwater?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's the pointlessness of picking the one that has the moon. Most other things there's at least some hint. This feels like busy work.

Agreed. I kept forgetting about about this type of moon and I️t just seemed so silly

Low grav boss rush sucks
Got to dark side of the moon and keep mucking up because of the low grav so having to repeat 3 bosses.

Also Mario can breathe in space but not underwater?

Remember you can slow them down by hitting them with their hat. This made I️t really easy for me

...I've officially given up on fixing the I️t bug

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Am I correct that the only available in-game help towards finding all purple coins is via the Bowser amiibo? I'd prefer not to use a guide if there's a decent alternative, but I'm not sure that I can see myself finding every last coin without any aids at all in most worlds.

Nah, it's the pointlessness of picking the one that has the moon. Most other things there's at least some hint. This feels like busy work.
amiibo not an option that you can/want to use for the exact location, I assume?

Oct 30, 2017

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I keep starting other games (in today's case, Automata), then getting bored and picking up Odyssey again supposedly for a few minutes "just to find a moon or two," but then I end up playing it for 5 hours straight.

I haven't been this engrossed with a 3D Mario game since 64.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game last week. It's so fantastic I created a new user account so I could replay it from the beginning.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Or just hit the "+" button to see a drop down of a few other tags this board supports.

EDIT: Just saw this.

Finally got round to checking this out.. How the hell does anyone put something like that together?! How do you not accidentally nudge something and send it all tumbling!

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Finally got round to checking this out.. How the hell does anyone put something like that together?! How do you not accidentally nudge something and send it all tumbling!
I think that there are some tools available that can help with the setup, but I expect that it's in large part some extreme care and patience (note the description: "After 2 months of continuous work here it is, Super Mario Odyssey In Dominoes!"). I'd guess that each part isn't connected to the others until the very end, to prevent and accidents from being completely catastrophic.

Take a look at his other videos - he's quite prolific!

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I had a blast with the game. Great bosses and so many brilliant ideas all around. It is really a love letter to the franchise, with some of the more memorable moments in a Mario game.

I feared that the game might become boring due to the back tracking but it is not. There is such a diversity of moons and so many ways to find them that the novelty is still there even after more than 50 hours.

A true masterpiece.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
So is there a way to create a new save game without deleting your current one? Or do you have to create a new account just for that? (Because I don't want to do that. It's hacky and stupid and unnecessary.)

I mean what happened to multiple save slots? Even Zelda seems to keep like a dozen auto saves. Why does Mario only have one slot?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You need a new user account. You don't need to link that user to a new Nintendo account, though.

This seems to be pretty much the norm on the majority (though certainly not all) of games on most systems nowadays, which I can see the logic of. Multiple save slots originated from a time before the ability to manage user accounts, but arguably aren't needed any longer for most.
You do not need to use a new user account. There are 5 save files in Mario. Hit +>Options>Data Management>Load and then just select a new file. You can go back and forth between any of the files by selecting to load them.

qeSa7WW.jpg

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
You do not need to use a new user account. There are 5 save files in Mario. Hit +>Options>Data Management>Load and then just select a new file. You can go back and forth between any of the files by selecting to load them.

qeSa7WW.jpg
So to confirm, if I choose New Game at the title screen, it'll save in another slot and not replace the one I have? And when I Continue it'll just play from the last one I played?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So to confirm, if I choose New Game at the title screen, it'll save in another slot and not replace the one I have? And when I Continue it'll just play from the last one I played?
No idea because I never actually closed Mario since you can't turn off the console in dock mode (only put it to sleep) so just do it the way I showed. Just save your game before switching save file in case it's been a while since it auto saved.

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they couldn't give you all the
achievement moons
that you've earned in one swell swoop. So annoying that you have to keep talking to her to get them one by one.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Heads up y'all: I'm thinking of making a photo mode challenge thread where people can set a challenge and then posters have to take a photo completing the challenge. I figured it would be a fun way to make use of the photo mode. Would anyone be interested in taking part in this challenge thread?

I'm thinking stuff along the lines of take a photo of Mario jumping off from the highest point in New Donk City or take a photo of Mario running with his back turned to the first boss. Hopefully fun stuff people enjoy taking cool pictures of.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
100% after 80 hours (damn)
Masterful game which I had a truly wondrous experience with... but damn if the post game wasn't a repetitious grind. This culminated in Dark Side which felt like an insult after finally arriving with 850+ moons. Grinding coins to purchase the final moons (really?) then just put this over the top.

It's certainly the best Mario since the Galaxy's but, much like BotW, there are some unfortunate mis-steps and areas of obvious improvement. What is there, in both cases, remains absolutely fantastic though nonetheless.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm at 99.9%. Cleaned up all Kingdoms, completed the capture list, got all the music and purchased all costumes and enough Power Moons to be sitting at 998 with only the Darker Side of the Moon left.
Will give this final challenge a shot tonight.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Around 650 moons now, I think. Game is at its best when you're just running around discovering stuff organically... when you take the completionist/checklist approach, it becomes a slog. Similar to BOTW in that respect, actually. Still having a great time with it, but I know there will be some things I come back to that will annoy the crap out of me. LOL

I think those 2 are the most anti-ocd games that I've played.