• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is old news, but I noticed the fractal structure in the north of the map:

unbenanntu8uvi.png

So I looked up what it was and apparently it's
Snow Kingdom
Which confirmed my suspicion that it's a reference to the Koch snowflake.

Von_Koch_curve.gif

In conclusion: Nintendo are nerds.

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Loving the game so far, the emphasis on exploration works pretty well
that first Bowser fight was nice, I was expecting on going "Ora Ora Ora" on him like that haha. And that surprise zone that you end up in is a cool touch.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only half hour in but I can already see the comparisons to BotW with how the game always distracts you from what you wanted to do, hah.

It already managed to surprise me for the first time with
the elastic collision chain chomp puzzle
, that put a huge smile on my face. That's good, that's damn good, and the ride's only starting.

webcivilian

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Heaven
This is the last game major title I'm buying from Amazon. Best Buy GCU at least offers in store pick up.
Where art thou, Amazon delivery person?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I don't know yet, but Nintendo's given you a brand new awful character to enjoy: it's Cappy, everyone! He'll jerk you off periodically with a well-timed "nice!" when you've managed a feat of skill that a lobotomized sloth could perform with its eyes closed. You'll feel just like you've got a rad Nintendo Treehouse dude sitting right next to you as you play. Thought nothing could ever make you miss the anthropomorphic ragweed allergy that is Fludd? Well here's Cappy.

Christ lol

I disagree with most of this, but the bit about Fludd is spot on

ilfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo

How's the story balance in this game? More or less present than previous titles?
It's mostly skippable, but still present to an obnoxious degree. Since I have been skipping most of it, I can't compare it with total confidence, but at about 8 hours in I'd call it the most story/cutscene/dialogue heavy of the series.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Only got to play 10 minutes on my lunch break and I won't be able to play much at all this weekend. Blah

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was anybody else reminded of Richard Spencer getting punched in the face when you get to the Cloud Arena? That was so goooood.

Oct 25, 2017
Just "beat" the game. It's fantastic, but does anyone else feel like the main game is on the short side? Unless I'm wrong, there seems to be only one main objective per kingdom, which is a bit of a letdown.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else find that their joycons desync more often while playing this game than they do while playing others?

I never sent them in for repair because in most games I own like Zelda and Mario Kart, desync issues would only pop up if I had the controller resting against my leg or under a blanket. But it's pretty bad in Mario. I'm going to have to figure out how to send them in.

Conspiracy

Oct 25, 2017
Brought my Switch to work thinking I'd find a spare minute to play.

Considering just going to the bathroom for an hour.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else find that their joycons desync more often while playing this game than they do while playing others?

I never sent them in for repair because in most games I own like Zelda and Mario Kart, desync issues would only pop up if I had the controller resting against my leg or under a blanket. But it's pretty bad in Mario. I'm going to have to figure out how to send them in.

Yes, I had this issue quite a few times. I guess it's an issue with the game then, hopefully it can be patched.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Played about six hours straight, it's such a great game!

Also,
Jurassic Park lied to me. That fucking dinosaur can see me when I stand still. Not that I doubted that, but I had to test it. The deep woods are quite scary.

ilfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just "beat" the game. It's fantastic, but does anyone else feel like the main game is on the short side? Unless I'm wrong, there seems to be only one main objective per kingdom, which is a bit of a letdown.
Even if it were only a few hours "long", it's the type of game that I'd want to come back to multiple times in my life, so it doesn't seem too short to me. Mario games are kind of like great timeless toys that are always fun to take out and play with when the mood strikes. They're not Uncharted.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Still at work is suffering. So many positive impressions.

Out for delivery at least.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played this for the last 5 hours and all I can think about is this game. Collected a ton of moons in Cap, Cascade, Sand, and Wooden Kingdoms and am at 75 moons now.

The game starts slow and is pretty easy, but man is Nintendo firing on all cylinders with this game. Incredible player freedom and exploration so far. It's like the long lost Banjo-Kazooie threequel we never got.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm messing around in the tutorial area right now but the fact that Odyssey has better rolling physics than any 3D Sonic within the last decade and a half is complete sacrilege

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I'm messing around in the tutorial area right now but the fact that Odyssey has better rolling physics than any 3D Sonic within the last decade and a half is complete sacrilege

Not if you've been paying attentions Sonic franchise has lacked great controls for the last few console gens, Mario is always tight. They added rolling and the rest falls into place.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I get so flustered with the different jumps and combos. Really need to practice. I keep diving off the edge of places because I'm button mashing :(

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm already in the habit of just rolling everywhere XD

After about 2 hours of play I've only gotten 33 moons... Seems like there's gonna be tons of content.

Icespark

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you need to use motion controls for certain moves is a real bummer especially since a lot of people like to play in handheld mode. I guess this confirms that Nintendo does consider the Switch a home console even though I and many others thought that was more marketing than reality and that this was going to be both the handheld/home console going forward. Guess we can look forward to a new handheld in a year or two.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Mario is always cold in the Sand level, I bought him the mexican costumes and nothing changed. Is there a costume that'll make him warm?
The boss fight is so much fun!

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Loving this game so far. Only 3 hours in, so I'm afraid to read the rest of this thread so I won't be spoiled.

It's insane how the first two worlds are deceptively short (finding all moons is a challenge). And some moon challenges appear deceptively easy (doing the platforming section now within the previously blocked door on Bonneton's tower, which I assumed woulf be easy but is kicking my ass).

I'm afraid to rush through these worlds

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine playing this game without having seen a single piece of media before, not even the january trailer... my god, what would that be like..

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do you feel about the physics in general so far?
I'm enjoying this a lot, especially coming off of 3D World with it's more restrictive controls. Ever since Sunshine I always felt that 3D Mario games were good in spite of their controls rather than because of them, and despite having to be accustomed to some of the new inputs, this feels great and fresh.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you need to use motion controls for certain moves is a real bummer especially since a lot of people like to play in handheld mode. I guess this confirms that Nintendo does consider the Switch a home console even though I and many others thought that was more marketing than reality and that this was going to be both the handheld/home console going forward. Guess we can look forward to a new handheld in a year or two.

Pretty big leap in logic there.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Those people tried to tell me my preorder from e3 time wouldn't be here until Wednesday. I was so annoyed, canceled and bought directly from Nintendo digitally.
Yeah unfortunately I bought it along with xenoblade when they were doing buy$100 get $25 back. With BB policies, they will recharge me the $25 if I cancel any part of the order. Ended up having to drive to another BB to pickup the game. Will need to go return the shipped copy once it gets in next week :/

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
After finding out I'm keeping my hours at work and after the massive stress of my organic chemistry exam, I decided to jump in and get the Odyssey bundle. Hope the game is as good as it's sounding to be!

Icespark

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, the right call. They are using dynamic resolution as well to make sure performance is a stable smooth 60fps. Did you read the digital foundry article? It really goes into details about performance.