• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know exactly how the midair dive works? Sometimes it just doesn't work for me, ZL + Y in air but Mario just throws Cappy instead. I think it might've been because I wasn't high enough from the ground? I'm not sure.
Yeah, curious about this as well. Generally the controls seem pretty responsive (though, dare I say, still not Sunshine-level), but the dive is baffling to me. I've only successfully pulled it off once or twice.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way you can exploit the hat mechanics to reach higher places and longer gaps is fantastic. EAD can do no wrong, it seems.

EDIT: You need to press Y while Mario does the flip before the ground pound. Just hold ZL then press Y right after and it should work.

Hugo_Peters

Programmer at Ubisoft
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Getting the bundle soon and super hyped about it, especially after reading the reviews!
Still want that Galaxy 3 tho.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is a fucking delight. The fact that I have a new full scale mario game with a tonne of stuff to explore and find that I can play on my tv and then take to work and carry on playing is mind blowing.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
6 hours ago my package was still in a different state, transferred to Amazon carrier. Unless there's a glitch in tracking I won't be getting it today!

Jeez that's not even close. My copy has apparently been sitting in my city all day yesterday and all day today and yet they still missed my release day delivery. I don't know which one is more baffling.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok how does the double jump with Cappy work. I've tried throwing the hat longjumping into it but I keep picking up the hat without a jump. How are peopl pulling off these massive leaps? What order do I do the moves.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
My copy is delivered, waiting at home. Haven't played a Mario game in a long time, but looking forward to this one!

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok how does the double jump with Cappy work. I've tried throwing the hat longjumping into it but I keep picking up the hat without a jump. How are peopl pulling off these massive leaps? What order do I do the moves.

Hold Y to keep Cappy rotating in mid-air (not sure if there's a way to do that without buttons) and you can jump on him or you can run into him and Mario will jump higher than with a standard jump.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my goodness, when you jump up and down on the globe outside the Odyssey... So nice. Absolutely heartwarming, some of the little things put into this game.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017

You just need to hold down the Y button. You'll know you are doing it right because Cappy will stay rotating in the air. Then with Y still held just run up to it - Mario will automatically jump onto Cappy and bounce off.

EDIT: Beaten! Figures my first official post in this new Era would be info that's already old. The more things change... the more they stay the same. :-)

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Just great, went to YouTube and got a suggestion on a Odyssey video and it revealed the Last Boss. Thanks a lot google...

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Despite living in Australia and pre-loading the game I didn't really even get to play it early, as I had to work from 7-3 and then my father just had to be in town so I was stuck at the pub listening to sports metaphors while daydreaming about Odyssey.

That said I got up at 6 this morning and I've been playing for the last hour and half and so far it has been sublime.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
You just need to hold down the Y button. You'll know you are doing it right because Cappy will stay rotating in the air. Then with Y still held just run up to it - Mario will automatically jump onto Cappy and bounce off.

Ok I got that but then I see peopl jump off cappy, throw again and then dive to get another jump and that's what I can't seem to do.

Basically how do I do the crazy cappy tricks I'm seeing

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Mine came in today from Best Buy... well, apparently I forgot that I pre-ordered from Amazon as well. That came in today as well. smh I need to check these things lol.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yep pretty much perfection, not put it down since I got in from work, can't stop playing, it's bloody brilliant.

This or Zelda is pretty much guaranteed GOTY. Nintendo still know how to capture the essence of what a videogame should be.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Well, done the first area (Sand Kingdom) and found quite a lot of extra moons too. So far it seems really good, as expected. I'm always wary with open worlds, but seems like they found the right balance where it's still open and fun to explore, but not so open that there's a load of wasted space. It's pretty fun just going around finding moons.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
About an hour in and damn this is fun to control. Chaining together cap throws and dives to reach crazy heights is so satisfying. I'm loving it.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
This game is mad incredible and gorgeous to look at. Told myself I would just sample it last night and ending up playing all the way to the Wooded Kingdom. I didn't follow the objective in Tostarena, I just managed to collect enough moons from wandering around and unlocked the next area no problem and thought that was cool how they didn't try to force certain missions on you for the most part.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Speaking of controls, maybe this is already widely known around here, but I noticed that if you rotate the left stick really fast so that Mario starts spinning (This move is mentioned in the Action Guide.) and then immediatly throw your cap, it'll do the "Whirlwind" attack every time. Works absolutely reliable, without having to make use of the motion controls.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Had the biggest fucking OH MY GOD moment when I figured out the solution to the seaside kingdom art. This game is amazing.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, when I throw the cap and I dive jump, most of the time Mario just ground stomps. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Atram

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm havin blast playing coop with my 3 year old son. This is his first videogame ever and controlling Cappy with one joycon is easy enough for him.

Thanks Nintendo for this awesome father son experience.

Squall5042

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of controls, maybe this is already widely known around here, but I noticed that if you rotate the left stick really fast so that Mario starts spinning (This move is mentioned in the Action Guide.) and then immediatly throw your cap, it'll do the "Whirlwind" attack every time. Works absolutely reliable, without having to make use of the motion controls.

Awesome, just tried this and it works well. Had troubles doing it reliably with the motion controls.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first 3D mario (yup, Im an old...and was too cool for school (high school) when Mario 64 came out.

Ill be quite honest, Im curious if it resonates with me. Im excited to give it a go though!

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 8 hours in and so far I am absolutely loving it! It really does feel like Mario's equivalent to Breath of the Wild, except I may actually prefer this game. Only issue I have is some of the motion controls are kind of finicky but otherwise it's fantastic. This could potentially be the best 3D platformer I have ever played if things stay this good or get even better.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday I found out that my Best Buy order got delayed. Of course I just couldn't help myself so I snagged the game this morning before coming into work. Thinking about busting up in the apartment singing Jump Up, Super Star to my boyfriend before we start playing. *wonders if there's a karaoke track yet*

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
My custom joycons and Mario Odyssey. Match made in heaven.

D83_FA9_B3_06_E5_4_D36_B9_D1_20_BA16182_A57.jpg

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it finally arrived. Time to dig in before work tonight

I'll be playing it at work too!

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
The way you can exploit the hat mechanics to reach higher places and longer gaps is fantastic. EAD can do no wrong, it seems.

EDIT: You need to press Y while Mario does the flip before the ground pound. Just hold ZL then press Y right after and it should work.
Yeah I kind of suck at this so far. I need more practice. I got to New Donk City so I should have learned this by now lol

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not really into speed running but I'm definitely gonna check out some 100% runs at some point... After I 100% the game myself of course :P

I feel like I've barely tapped into the movement system after a few hours of play. Seeing someone that's mastered it is surely gonna be impressive

AV_Fanz

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
First post after approval. Played for 3 hours last night... I haven't felt this kind of gaming joy since Mario 64... I was playing with my kids watching, and I kept telling them "Oh look at that! Listen to this music! This is your FIRST Mario! " I'm enjoying ever second of it. Can't wait to go home.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Got a Switch today with Odyssey.

I haven't played a mainline Mario since Sunshine.

I am not good at Mario-ing.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
This game is amazing, I love how densely and subtly packed some of the areas are with moons. The introduction of Koroks made BotW my favorite game of all time. I never thought I'd be playing something that topped the satisfaction I got from that game ever again. The fact that this game is making me consider it just 7 months later is mind blowing to me.

Nintendo have become as gods.

Rock And Roll

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I transformed into a dinosaur I just started screaming "LETS FUCKING GOOOOO COME ONNNNNNN"

This is not an exaggeration, I literally couldn't containy excitement for turning into a T Rex and started wrecking shit.

EVAC434

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Got it today and just got to the Desert world. So excited to dig in! Although I'm a little bummed that some moves are motion only. And I play handheld all the time.

Also 1st post! Glad to be accepted!