• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jrs3000

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Can you do it more than once?

Twice In a row. Looks like 3rd time they make the hat go back to you when you dive into it. I used it to get to top of rock with trex at from the side where its pretty high.

Edit: they don't let you do it with a jump from ground. The first toss has to be done on ground to do it twice.

Last edited:

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Probably already asked a million times, but is the best way to play this game with the split Joycons? That's the controller scheme it shows every time it loads the game, and the attacks that require you to shake your controller are really awkward with a Pro Controller.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so, I just finally reached New Donk City...

The fight against Bowser felt incredibly satisfying and I'm already in love with the theme. I also love how Bowser doesn't seem to be fucking around this time. You can tell he means business!

The fight against Mecha Wriggler in New Donk City was also amazing, especially for the atmosphere you find the city in, under a raging storm, which also highlighted just how good the light effects are in this game. It may not have the best textures, but damn if the art direction is used masterfully!

It's not a big deal, but in the future can you please label your spoiler tags? From the context, I assumed this was something that happens towards the beginning of New Donk City.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the main story for the game with 174 stars (I got it a day early and work was slow). It is an amazing game, and really enjoyable from start to finish. Overall it was on the easy side but I am sure the postgame will kick my butt.

I am not the type of person usually to binge play a game but this game is just that good. Personally Sonic Mania is still GotY for me but this game is still a solid second in a year with so many amazing games.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
Does turning off motion controls in the options move those things to buttons, or just leave them alone?

As a corollary, why would you have up on the d-pad bound to the map, but turned OFF by default?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is creative and polished, but as much as I've tried I just haven't been exhilarated by it the way some other people are. It could be a me problem -- or I think the 10/10 scores set up too high an expectation in my mind.

It's whimsical and cute, but I just feel like I'm going through motions because it (as of the three hour or so mark) seems so simplistic and unchallenging -- I just don't feel engaged. While I had some criticisms of BOTW, I was utterly enthralled for the first 15 hours and at least in that time the 10/10s made sense.

I'll try to finish it, though. I'm still hoping I start liking it more at some point.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
After coming off crash bandicoot 1 remaster , this game is extremely easy so far. But I love it

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
How did you check your hour count? I have the Nintendo App and can't seem to find anyway to check. I'm just under 300 moons right now.
That's a Screenshot of the Nintendo Switch Parental app that shows you how long users have played on the Switch, you have to activate logging in the system and download the app to your smartphone to check it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the music in the Luncheon Kingdom's Special Stages is so good, fast and jaunty like the best athletic themes. The Luncheon Kingdom is the furthest I've been so far, but I'm finding tons of new details and secrets every time I come back to a kingdom, it feels super rewarding, even more than the moons I'm earning on the way

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is creative and polished, but as much as I've tried I just haven't been exhilarated by it the way some other people are. It could be a me problem -- or I think the 10/10 scores set up too high an expectation in my mind.

It's whimsical and cute, but I just feel like I'm going through motions because it (as of the three hour or so mark) seems so simplistic and unchallenging -- I just don't feel engaged. While I had some criticisms of BOTW, I was utterly enthralled for the first 15 hours and at least in that time the 10/10s made sense.

I'll try to finish it, though. I'm still hoping I start liking it more at some point.

The real shock would have been if you were actually enjoying the game lol

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017

I've read in a few places that it saves a bunch of real challenging stuff for post game.

I agree with what you're saying, to s point - it does feel like less of a challenge. For me, I don't expect that out of Mario as much as I do Zelda, so in the confines of that, I can still say it's a fantastic game and enjoy it a lot. I get if you're looking for more challenge, though.

ckfy63a

Oct 28, 2017
a place beyond seeing...
Guys, is Bowser amiibo the only way to reveal uncollected purple regional coins in the game?
I'm not sure, but I'd recommend trying to find them all on your own. As far as I've seen there aren't any lone coins (all groups of at least 2), and they're incredibly well-hidden. By that, I mean it isn't just some random "ground pound every square inch of the level"-fest (looking at you, Yoshi's New Island), and that there's a sort of elegance to where they hid the coins.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, is Bowser amiibo the only way to reveal uncollected purple regional coins in the game?

Is this a thing? I though all the amiibo just revealed hints to power moons as an alternative to using coins.

That and the hearts of coins they give you if you scan them anywhere other than Uncle Amiibo.

Oct 26, 2017
This game is absolute perfection. Quick question - is there any way to collect all of the moons on any given world before beating the game?

And I've only collected all of the currency on one world, missing 3-8 on some others. Is the currency ever unable to ontain until beating the game or am I just missing it?

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
That's a Screenshot of the Nintendo Switch Parental app that shows you how long users have played on the Switch, you have to activate logging in the system and download the app to your smartphone to check it.
You can actually check in the system itself, vaguely. Go to your page using the circle at the upper left of the home screen and scroll up to profile, you can see your count there. It only updates every 5 hours (as in, it will say "played 20 or more", then "25 or more", etc.) but it doesn't require a new app at least!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wonder how many Mario games in a row people will need to play through to realize the meaty challenge is post game AND that all the stuff before that point is also really good.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a thing? I though all the amiibo just revealed hints to power moons as an alternative to using coins.

That and the hearts of coins they give you if you scan them anywhere other than Uncle Amiibo.

Yeah, any of the Bowser amiibos highlight a group of regional coins when you scan it, but not in the map, just in the game world.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is absolute perfection. Quick question - is there any way to collect all of the moons on any given world before beating the game?

No, you cannot obtain every moon before the post game. When Toad and the bird stop giving hints, you've reached the current limit.

And I've only collected all of the currency on one world, missing 3-8 on some others. Is the currency ever unable to ontain until beating the game or am I just missing it?

The purple currency in each kingdom is all obtainable before completing the game.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017

From what I've been able to do so far you can collect all the currency in each kingdom on your first visit but not all the moons.

I've been judging the moon availability on the Hint Toad and Talkatoo both saying they have no more hints for that world.

Edit: Seems I was right. Phew.

Yeah, any of the Bowser amiibos highlight a group of regional coins when you scan it, but not in the map, just in the game world.

That... doesn't sound very helpful. =/

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Slightly off topic, but does anyone else gets motion sickness from this game?

As much as I love this game so far, I cannot manage to play it for more the 30 mins without feeling queezy, usually that only happens to me with FPS games, this is the first time it's happened to me on a 3D Mario or 3rd person action games in general :/

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
at some point we have to accept the last challenging Mario game was The Lost Levels, which was 30 years ago. These games are about spectacle, the discovery of the unknown, the archaic cute nonsense of it all, the joy of moving around a playful world. If you push far enough you might get a Champion's Road/Grandmaster challenge at the end, but that's an epilogue and not the main feature.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many Mario games in a row people will need to play through to realize the meaty challenge is post game AND that all the stuff before that point is also really good.

I imagine Nintendo keeps it relatively easy until Bowser, so more people can "beat" the game.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else gets motion sickness from this game?

As much as I love this game so far, I cannot manage to play it for more the 30 mins without feeling queezy, usually that only happens to me with FPS games, this is the first time it's happened to me on a 3D Mario or 3rd person action games in general :/

I get it with FPS too, and Yooka-Laylee. But not with this game so far. Try having the camera move slower in the options.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Toad that offers hints for coins say, "I have no more hints" does that mean I have obtained all possibles moon shines? As I have a few missing but have no means to obtain them.

FamousLastX

Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel dirty for just sticking with getting the minimum amount of moons on each world before moving on. Figure if I'll have to go back through after beating it to get them all anyways might as well just work my way through the game and cleanup afterwards. Seems like I'm in the minority though for sure. This game continues to put a smile on my face though in a way that a Mario game hasn't done for me in a long time.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to do the Jump rope minigame for a solid 20 minutes. Then I jumped up from 68 or so to 333! lol

Only tip I can give is once you pass the last speed up at around 50-60, get into a rhythm that'll have you do the shortest possible jump as soon as you hit the ground. Once you figure that out, it's like a consistent, quick beat.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
at some point we have to accept the last challenging Mario game was The Lost Levels, which was 30 years ago. These games are about spectacle, the discovery of the unknown, the archaic cute nonsense of it all, the joy of moving around a playful world. If you push far enough you might get a Champion's Road/Grandmaster challenge at the end, but that's an epilogue and not the main feature.

I really liked 3D World -- And I liked it because it put up a pretty good fight. It wasn't brutal, but it asked something of me. So far Odyssey doesn't really ask anything of me except that I just be there.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel dirty for just sticking with getting the minimum amount of moons on each world before moving on. Figure if I'll have to go back through after beating it to get them all anyways might as well just work my way through the game and cleanup afterwards. Seems like I'm in the minority though for sure. This game continues to put a smile on my face though in a way that a Mario game hasn't done for me in a long time.

I'm doing this too, I figured it's way more fun than staying in a kingdom for hours on end.

Oct 25, 2017

And if you reeeeeeally care that much about challenge you can make the game more challenging for yourself by actually engaging with everything at your disposal. Whether it's trying to get secrets, or taking more risky and creative jumps in order to go faster. It's not even obscure stuff like making up your own game mode like nuzlocke challenges or something. Mario games are often so freeform in what they allow you to do that all you have to do is play the game in a more fun way and you'll have more fun. It's all right there for you. Mario games haven't been challenging in a long time, and honestly, the most challenging ones also happen to be the worst ones, I feel. Like Sunshine. It's probably the hardest 3D Mario, but not for good reason...

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I saw earlier there's a way to replay a certain event that happens in New Donk City, is that only something you can do after beating the game, or can I do it now, and if so, how? I really want to show that sequence to my dad the next time I see him, it almost made me cry it was so incredibly well done which is extremely rare for a video game to do to me ;__;