• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
So far the game is phenomenal, and visually, it looks great...on my 1080p television; doesn't look too great on handheld mode though (I understand it outputs at 720p, but still...very washed out looking). What are y'all's thoughts on the game's presentation and visually fidelity in handheld mode? I just picked up this Switch so if it's not supposed to look the way that it does, it'd help to get some input from you guys so I can look into getting the system exchanged at the game store. Thanks!

I personally think it looks fine in handheld mode. You definitely do notice that dynamic drop in resolution in moments, but nothing on the fact that you're able to take it on the go.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is incredible. Sorry for short and useless post, but I just wanted to express my joy after playing it for a couple of hours over the weekend :)

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So far the game is phenomenal, and visually, it looks great...on my 1080p television; doesn't look too great on handheld mode though (I understand it outputs at 720p, but still...very washed out looking). What are y'all's thoughts on the game's presentation and visually fidelity in handheld mode? I just picked up this Switch so if it's not supposed to look the way that it does, it'd help to get some input from you guys so I can look into getting the system exchanged at the game store. Thanks!
You should take into account that the Switch screen, while nicer than past Nintendo handheld screens, is still not going to hold a candle to a decent TV.

Oct 27, 2017
This game makes me wish they did a true sequel to Mario 64 with power ups and such.

As amazing as this game is, I feel it lacks the scope of Mario 64.. is it just me or was Mario 64 much more... Close to the character like the camera? I dunno how to explain it.. certain portions of this game make it feel like a single player Mario 3d world. Maybe my memory of 64 is wrong

Kyuga

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it and post game is a nice surprise ✌️
What a game Nintendo official seal of quality :)

ki11erpancake

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I've just poked around the beginning of this game. Hadn't looked at anything before hand and when I flicked the controller for the first time and watched that hat spin around with a rainbow streaming out of the back I crowed with glee. This will be a fun November... :D

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I entered the Wooded Kingdom and thought; lets see how many moons I'll find on my first try. 33. Not bad.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this so far. I had kinda fallen out of Mario platformers after the two Galaxy games (I loved them but they burned me out), and it's been fun to go into it mostly blind. I'm about 40 moons in, am past the Sand Kingdom now.

I hear the Korok seed comparison to the moons a lot, but I feel like Mario Odyssey is a little more varied and more deliberately designed. It definitely does tickle that instinct for being observant of the environment and just noticing things that look "weird". There have been a lot of times just roaming the desert of looking in a corner where I stumble across something random. But they've all been so unique and different, such little tiny mini-challenges, it never feels tedious or repetitious. As much as I liked the concept of the Korok seeds, they did fall into a handful of core puzzle types.

The game is also absolutely amazing as signposting things and drawing your eye. So many times where I just go "hey, what's that" and follow the animated whatever or interactable object, and it leads to something good.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
So how do I use Amiibos?

Tright holding the right dpad button and touching the Amiibo to the right joycon. No luck.

Oct 27, 2017
going to echo a few others about luncheon kingdom — probably my least favorite due to how difficult it is to get from point A to point B, even though it looks like a lisa frank nightmare in the best possible way.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only at the Sand Kingdom so I'll probably find out the answer to this pretty soon, but I was curious about how backtracking and exploration works. Are more areas within the kingdoms unlocked as the game goes on, or by the time I get to the Sand Kingdom should I be able to go back to the first couple worlds and collect/unlock everything right away? I ask because there's a handful of things from the first two worlds I haven't found yet, but I didn't want to beat my head against the wall if they're just inaccessible for the time being.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect the water based kingdoms to end up being some of my favourites. They're just relaxing to explore, particularly the Seaside Kingdom.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
viCPnlO.gif

How is this doable? How to cap jump twice?

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't expect the water based kingdoms to end up being some of my favourites. They're just relaxing to explore, particularly the Seaside Kingdom.

agreed, so much. they're beautiful and swimming isn't as sluggish as it could have been, since you can become a cheep cheep and swim pretty freely anywhere. (and the gushens feel vaguely like FLUDD from super mario sunshine, which is delightful.)

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
This game is a joy to play, let my pal play a bit today on my save file and he got 3 or 4 moons.....

He ordered the game straight away lol

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have been playing the game nonstop since Friday and am at over 400 moons at the moment.

This game is literally everything I wanted out of a 3D Mario and combines parts of my favorite games of all time (Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2) into one package.

Fuck it, this is my favorite Mario game of all time.

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only at the Sand Kingdom so I'll probably find out the answer to this pretty soon, but I was curious about how backtracking and exploration works. Are more areas within the kingdoms unlocked as the game goes on, or by the time I get to the Sand Kingdom should I be able to go back to the first couple worlds and collect/unlock everything right away? I ask because there's a handful of things from the first two worlds I haven't found yet, but I didn't want to beat my head against the wall if they're just inaccessible for the time being.
some stuff opens up after you get enough moons and "beat" the kingdom for the first time, a ton more shit opens up after you beat Bowser

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Just caught a nice detail: upon entering an ice kingdom with regular clothes Mario started shivering. I decided to change to the aviator costume (which looks warmer) and Mario no longer shivers.

Game is full of little details like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the "story". What an incredible game. A bit short compared to it's predecessors but it seems to have a much larger amount of post-story content. Nintendo really has been firing on all cylinders with both Zelda, Splatoon and this.... What an incredible year for them.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Am I the only one that thinks the soundtrack is as good is even better than Galaxy and 3d world? I just love the sheer variety in styles and orchestration. Some of the tunes would work flawlessly in 64, world and even SMB3.

New Donk City was specially an aural marvel from beginning to end.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
some stuff opens up after you get enough moons and "beat" the kingdom for the first time, a ton more shit opens up after you beat Bowser

Hmm, alright. I'm post-beating the kingdoms, but pre-Bowser. Does that mean the things on the list and the purple coins I can't find are probably endgame things, or does a whole set of new list items and stuff get added when you beat the game?

I'm trying to get to that floating moon in the Cascade Kingdom by doing all sorts of dumb crap with the t-rex, and I'm missing 3 purple coins in the first world, for example. :/

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I guess you can't do the throw hat -> dive into hat to bounce from it from a wall jump? I just dive through the hat, just like if you try to do the dive-bounce twice in a row.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, alright. I'm post-beating the kingdoms, but pre-Bowser. Does that mean the things on the list and the purple coins I can't find are probably endgame things, or does a whole set of new list items and stuff get added when you beat the game?

I'm trying to get to that floating moon in the Cascade Kingdom by doing all sorts of dumb crap with the t-rex, and I'm missing 3 purple coins in the first world, for example. :/

There is an absolute ton of moons that open up after beating Bowser, they can be compared to SMG2 green stars as they are mostly small challenges scattered around levels that increase moon count by about 1/3 of available before that point

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017

You should be able to get all purple coins pre-post-game and as long as the helper toad allows you to pay for a hint you should be able to gather more moons as he'll have a 'no more hints' text above his head when you got everything currently available.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
There is an absolute ton of moons that open up after beating Bowser, they can be compared to SMG2 green stars as they are mostly small challenges scattered around levels that increase moon count by about 1/3 of available before that point

You should be able to get all purple coins pre-post-game and as long as the helper toad allows you to pay for a hint you should be able to gather more moons as he'll have a 'no more hints' text above his head when you got everything currently available.

Alright, awesome! Thanks folks.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

All of the purple coins in each kingdom can be found during your first visit.

EDIT:, Whoops, beaten.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So I got all Moons in the Desert World but am missing 6 purple coins???
How is this even possible. Any tips on how to find them. I seriously have no idea where to look. I thought I've looked everywhere already.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
89 moons in and heading to the other choice of the first (?) branch. Great great game. I still think 64 is the better game, but this may be my #2 over World and 3.

Deleted member 1813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to walk away from gaming if I ever have to do another Broodal fight. I see they've learned nothing from 3D World.

ckfy63a

Oct 28, 2017
a place beyond seeing...
Is there any 100% completion penalty for using Talkatoo, Hint Toad, or Uncle Amiibo? (I'm reminded of the "shiny stars" that one could get on their save file if they didn't use the assist blocks in 3D World and 3D Land.)

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Not anything meaningful to add but...

This game is great! I grew up with Mario but was never that into the Mario games (aside from Mario Kart) but I'm having a blast with Odyssey.

It's a lot of fun and relaxing and actually addicting because there's always something to see or do around every corner. It's like Zelda BotW where there were Korak seeds to find everywhere but in Odyssey it's much more varied and therefor more fun to collect moons (and purple coins).

The bosses are fun so far, but I hope they get harder.

The attention to detail is A+ Nintendo, getting a kick out of all the small stuff I notice. And the music, is it just me, or is it like top tier?

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The comparison between moons and korok seeds is really starting to grate on me for some reason haha. On some level it does make sense, the two games came out fairly close together, there are similar numbers of both collectables, and they encourage exploration, true. But moons are everything in Odyssey. They're the reason you explore, platform, and puzzle solve. Korok seeds are an optional little thing that you're just supposed to grab as you go. They're a small part of the open world experience that feeds into the gameplay loop pretty well, but you're not supposed to go for all of em--they even kind of stop paying off after a while. So of course moons are in a different league, they serve two different purposes for the most part.