Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
The visuals are pretty interesting because it's the original designs and proportions but the way they're handling the textures/materials seems like a mixture of respecting the original game's 3D renders and following the Mario Style Guide. So you get some pretty funky environments, shapes, and designs that are either plain out of character or push to the edge of what the Mario Style allows, but some elements have had the grunginess toned down or removed in accordance with their internal style guidelines that apply to most modern Mario-based works (some of that probably also comes from having higher resolutions, better assets, and better lighting they can use).

I love this game so I'm getting it anyway but part of why I want to play it is to see more of this in effect. It'd be cool to see a Super Mario RPG 2 (or whatever it would be at this point) that isn't bound to what could be done in the original SNES game, and explores what sort of things modern technology would allow them to create. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi did some neat things as the developers got access to increasingly better hardware but the sort of "3D Mario RPG" SMRPG is never really got an opportunity to develop further.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like GameFan covered Chrono Trigger pretty extensively prior to the US release. The magazine ad is the first thing that comes to mind, though.

I rented Chrono Trigger over a long weekend and re-rented it until i beat it. lol
My barber used to get GameFan. I was in college when it released so I guess that explains why I missed out on the pre-release coverage.

yeah I knew about some things via Nintendo Power. I had a subscription at the time, and I got that DKC VHS in the mail, basically an ad for the game. And then I got the N64 one in the spring. hyped to the max.

I bought CT new and then sold it later that summer CIB mint, for $50. sigh.
That hurts but if you needed the money I would have told you that was a pretty good return for 1995/6 at the time.

J-Shy

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Super excited to replay this, one of my favorite games. Do we know who's developing this? I assume Square and Nintendo had to make some agreement for this to finally happen.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Smrpg_booster.gif

I demand a Booster amiibo

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
This game was always very easy but did any ever get instikilled by the Clock boss in Smithy's dimension? goddamn i was not expecting enemies in that game to have instant kill attacks back then. I guess becuase i got lucky in FF6 and level 5 death never affected me.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
why would they touch the battle system??

When it comes to RPGs, I don't necessarily think of it as a bad thing. QoL improvements are a must when it comes to updating old battle systems. In the case of SMRPG, it seems they made it more engaging and probably added some Limit Breaks for every character. I'm cool with it. Look at Star Ocean 2 and the massive revamp they did to its battle system. It looks really fun to play, which is something you would expect for a modern RPG.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I surely hope so. I bought the Dreamer Edition of Link's Awakening without hesitation. Would do the same for SMRPG, no thinking needed.

I'm so glad you were able to snatch it at retail price, I've seen a couple of unboxing videos and the art book is just adorable! I tried getting my hands on the whole DE recently but they're literally asking 4x its original price where I live and there's no way I'll pay that money even if I can afford it. Don't wanna go through the same thing again, lol.

DarkOxygen

Oct 30, 2017
Has Nintendo ever announced a physical CE for a game after digital preorders were opened? I would think that would cause a decent amount of negative PR, but maybe not?

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I just noticed the announcement video has reached 2 million views on YouTube. That's impressive! Super Mario Bros. Wonder sits at #1 with 4.2 Million views, making SMRPG the second most anticipated game of the holidays.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Mario rpg fans of all 3 series are coming together for this everywhere. It's like when Samus Returns came out....getting any kind of classic game in the series at this point will be loved.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed the announcement video has reached 2 million views on YouTube. That's impressive! Super Mario Bros. Wonder sits at #1 with 4.2 Million views, making SMRPG the second most anticipated game of the holidays.
Honestly, I've probably watched it about 20 times today... my hype couldn't be any higher.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
I can't wait to see newcomers' reactions to some of this game's highlights.

Crashing the wedding of your arc antagonist and having the final battle of that arc not be the angered groom-to-be, but rather the PO'd chefs and their living wedding cake that's somehow one of the toughest bosses? Exploring all the nooks and crannies of Land's End? Culex? Everything in the final world? Good times...

DarkOxygen

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait to see newcomers' reactions to some of this game's highlights.

Crashing the wedding of your arc antagonist and having the final battle of that arc not be the angered groom-to-be, but rather the PO'd chefs and their living wedding cake that's somehow one of the toughest bosses? Exploring all the nooks and crannies of Land's End? Culex? Everything in the final world? Good times...

Also Power Rangers boss fight.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I remember the Sunken Ship Puzzle (password) was extremely difficult to solve for me since I was still learning English back then. For those of you (native speakers) who played it as kids, was it hard as well? I think of it as one of the most challenging gaming moments of childhood.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I remember the Sunken Ship Puzzle (password) was extremely difficult to solve for me since I was still learning English back then. For those of you (native speakers) who played it as kids, was it hard as well? I think of it as one of the most challenging gaming moments of childhood.
It was challenging to me at first because I didn't want to do the actual puzzles to get clues since they were hard for me (at the time). The actual answer, I was able to piece together eventually.

Oct 28, 2017
You reckon if this does well, Square and Nintendo will make a Mario RPG sequel that's beyond the isometric constraints of the SNES original?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
This is where I'm split on whether to buy it day 1 or not :(

I just dont think 15-20 hours is worth $60 (to me at least).
You do you, but quality has nothing to do with quantity. I would MUCH rather have a fantastic <20 hour game than a drawn out >80 hour game.

Mario RPG is the former and it's all the better for it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The visuals are pretty interesting because it's the original designs and proportions but the way they're handling the textures/materials seems like a mixture of respecting the original game's 3D renders and following the Mario Style Guide. So you get some pretty funky environments, shapes, and designs that are either plain out of character or push to the edge of what the Mario Style allows, but some elements have had the grunginess toned down or removed in accordance with their internal style guidelines that apply to most modern Mario-based works (some of that probably also comes from having higher resolutions, better assets, and better lighting they can use).

I love this game so I'm getting it anyway but part of why I want to play it is to see more of this in effect. It'd be cool to see a Super Mario RPG 2 (or whatever it would be at this point) that isn't bound to what could be done in the original SNES game, and explores what sort of things modern technology would allow them to create. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi did some neat things as the developers got access to increasingly better hardware but the sort of "3D Mario RPG" SMRPG is never really got an opportunity to develop further.
I'd like to see what a fully 3D Mario RPG would look like some day. Like good ol polygonal Mario walking around gorgeous polygonal worlds like he does in Galaxy and Odd.

Though I wonder if Nintendo would just think that sort of budget would be better served on a more traditional Mario game.

This would probably be the direction I would want a sequel to take and how the series probably would have evolved if it kept going today, I think.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
is it true Luigi wasn't in the original?

He shows up in the credits leading the parade. Also, in the location Star Hill in the game, you can interact with stars on the ground that represent the wishes of other characters in the game, and one of the wishes is something like "I want to be a great plumber like my older brother."

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see what a fully 3D Mario RPG would look like some day. Like good ol polygonal Mario walking around gorgeous polygonal worlds like he does in Galaxy and Odd.

Though I wonder if Nintendo would just think that sort of budget would be better served on a more traditional Mario game.

This would probably be the direction I would want a sequel to take and how the series probably would have evolved if it kept going today, I think.
Mario and Rabbids is probably the closest thing, if you want to count either as rpgs.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just noticed a SMALL clip of what appears to be that sorta "hidden moment" when the party yells at Mario during one of those "but thou must" moments.

View: https://twitter.com/rpgfancom/status/1159226973408944131?s=20

Mario RPG, and a bunch of Nintendos TBH, are really really great at the whole physical comedy thing.
The cymbals, the missed note when it gets to Mario, the double-take.... just perfect. And easy enough to do on the SNES.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Probably they'll add more Luigi in the remake.
He wasn't as popular back then. But times changed for the green fella.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh the Link and Samus cameos. Wanna see how they pull that off...

(MARIO RPG sequel with Mario, Link, Samus, and other Nintendo characters when)

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I just noticed a SMALL clip of what appears to be that sorta "hidden moment" when the party yells at Mario during one of those "but thou must" moments.

View: https://twitter.com/rpgfancom/status/1159226973408944131?s=20

Just proves how much love went into creating this game. I didn't remember that part.

I see that one, and I'll raise you this one.

View: https://youtu.be/5fw-tfCOf3s

Love that part as well, and Booster's theme will surely be fire on the remake.

Do you guys think there is a chance we get amiibos and a CE?

Judging by the ongoing attention the game keeps receiving all over the place, I'm now inclined to believe a CE will be inevitable.