King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll raise you one, a NG plus Super Luigi RPG mode where it's a dream caused by his wish that replaces Mario with him in the story

Also known as hard mode. Brilliant!

There's a romhack of SMRPG to play as Luigi and Daisy if anyone wants that.

www.romhacking.net

Super Luigi RPG Star Powered

(Note; for historical purposes, this hack was originally released on 11/16/2021) ---- [b]Always sa

That's also amazing.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Took me literal decades to realize he's an expy of Wario lol
I've heard this but always thought the parallels to Cid Pollendina were even stronger looks-wise. And given the other big FF4 reference.

latest

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly not sure if there ever was a connection between Booster and Wario. Wario certainly had existed long enough that Booster could have been inspired by him, but like...they could have just used Wario. Or if not, could have just made him look more like Wario, like in the case of Chained Kong.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly not sure if there ever was a connection between Booster and Wario. Wario certainly had existed long enough that Booster could have been inspired by him, but like...they could have just used Wario. Or if not, could have just made him look more like Wario, like in the case of Chained Kong.
Everyone loves weird little, hairy freaks

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

the mario "universe" was still inchoate back then. which is why Mario RPG is so weird. not in a bad way but they'd never make a game like that now starting from scratch

Jan 15, 2019
the mario "universe" was still inchoate back then. which is why Mario RPG is so weird. not in a bad way but they'd never make a game like that now starting from scratch
That's part of what makes the announcement of this remake so surprising. The further we got from the game's original release I figured it would never happen largely because it's so far removed from what they've since canonized.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if they'll fix some of the weird localizations of the original like Nokonoko or Chandelier-ho

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Besides the red nose and some aspects of the design, I never really saw Booster was some sort of stand-in for Wario. They have quite different personalities.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Always found it interesting you never had to fight Booster, it was ONLY if you failed the mini game and I don't think you get anything good from the fight so there's no incentive. Game sets you up to think the showdown will happen in Marrymore, then suddenly cake…

Not sure if Wario would have slotted in so well, but it's fascinating to think about. By 1996, he'd had SML2 & 3 and a few other random appearances where he was mostly being weird and the anti-Mario, nothing too set in stone. It might have been as much of a character defining moment as Bowser and I def could have seen him becoming a Mario RPG mainstay rather than being a no-show (seriously, how?? He's perfect recurring boss material)

Oct 26, 2017
There's speculation that NDCube is behind this, particularly due to the HUD looking like their style. I can see that, as Hudson were crazy varied in their output, including RPGs like Far East of Eden, Dungeon Explorer, and even Konami joints like Suikoden V. NDCube could totally do it justice.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There's speculation that NDCube is behind this, particularly due to the HUD looking like their style. I can see that, as Hudson were crazy varied in their output, including RPGs like Far East of Eden, Dungeon Explorer, and even Konami joints like Suikoden V. NDCube could totally do it justice.
Huh, that actually makes sense and it fits the modern mario party style.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Probably. I'm expecting normal Mario enemies to have their proper names at least

Wonder if they'll change Magikoopa to Kamek, since it was always supposed to be him anyway

I never really thought about this. I know that's just its name in Japanese, but I kind of thought magikoopa were a group/species and Kamek was a named magikoopa.

I remember years ago getting in an argument because someone said Kamek/Magikoopa came from Yoshi's Island, but I said he first appeared in SMW. Kind of the same source of confusion there as "magikoopas" were in SMW while Kamek was YI.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I never really thought about this. I know that's just its name in Japanese, but I kind of thought magikoopa were a group/species and Kamek was a named magikoopa.

I remember years ago getting in an argument because someone said Kamek/Magikoopa came from Yoshi's Island, but I said he first appeared in SMW. Kind of the same source of confusion there as "magikoopas" were in SMW while Kamek was YI.

It's kind of like Yoshi. There's a "main" Yoshi but also Yoshi is the name of the species and there are dozens of identical green Yoshi out there. It just gets really confusing if you try to pinpoint where the main one is supposed to be, and which ones are generics. I think its the general rule of thumb to assume that any Magikoopa that has a generic look but a rather unique role must be *the* Kamek, however whats odd about SMRPG is that the Magikoopas are a generic enemy but reading its mind makes a reference to it being *the* Kamek recognizing a grown up Mario.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
It's kind of like Yoshi. There's a "main" Yoshi but also Yoshi is the name of the species and there are dozens of identical green Yoshi out there. It just gets really confusing if you try to pinpoint where the main one is supposed to be, and which ones are generics. I think its the general rule of thumb to assume that any Magikoopa that has a generic look but a rather unique role must be *the* Kamek, however whats odd about SMRPG is that the Magikoopas are a generic enemy but reading its mind makes a reference to it being *the* Kamek recognizing a grown up Mario.

Forgot about that bit with psychopath. Even if their name is different in the Japanese SMRPG (not sure) and it seems kind of like the English team missed that YI reference, it does indicate what you say.

Doesn't really matter but I'd probably chalk that down to just a cute reference ultimately, not exactly something to cite as canon or whatever

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
what makes this games really good ?, gameplay ?, story ?

sorry, i'm just curious since i never play mario RPG before

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am curious. It looks narratively and mechanically pretty basic. What are its strengths? I mean it looks charming, but also nothing impressive besides.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I am curious. It looks narratively and mechanically pretty basic. What are its strengths? I mean it looks charming, but also nothing impressive besides.

Outside of the aesthetic/narrative choices, the simplicity is a big part of the appeal. This game is real easy to pick up and play, and is tightly paced. For people that shy away from turn-based RPGs of this era there are no random battles and the combat has an active element that keeps fights more engaging.

Last edited:

amprainy

May 31, 2019
what makes this games really good ?, gameplay ?, story ?

sorry, i'm just curious since i never play mario RPG before

It's excellent in every aspect that makes a good RPG: a compelling story, interesting characters, a unique perspective and beautiful art style (for the SNES), a simple yet engaging battle system, well-written dialogue, and lots of cool mini-games and secrets, all coming together in an inspired adventure that takes many of the best and charming aspects of the mario universe and expands upon it. It's paced really well and there's a lot of variety in gameplay. Also the soundtrack is perfect.