What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2019
I'm curious:

1. Is Switch your only "current gen" console?
1a. If so, are you satisfied with it?

2. Do you plan on purchasing a PS5 or XBS console in the future (or do you already own one or both of them)?

1.- No, but it has been for a while. My PS4 is only one yo

1a.- I know this is if you only have a Switch, but yes, i am, the Switch is a surprisingly good console for me. I don't care about the specs, since even as a PC gamer i have been on low specs during most of my life, so playing, let's say, Doom, Witcher 3, Rocket League or Fortnite on it doesn't bother me at all.

2.- Not really. I want a PS5, but GT7 releasing on PS4 has altered my plans (Gran Turismo is the only Sony franchise that actually can make me purchase a console) and i plan on upgrading my PC soon, so Xbox Series is, for now, out of the question.

Aug 15, 2020
Most interesting thing to me wrt this: third party exclusives really are dead, huh? When even Atlus/Sega get there with Persona...

Other than that, there really isn't much to be said that hasn't been said before on the topic, so 🤷‍♂️ :D

(I'd also rather have P4G on Switch. :P)
Pretty much. Why make your game PS exclusive when even Sony is bringing theirs to PC?
SteamPal will get P4G/5R before Switch ever does

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I keep on thinking what parts of RDR2 would fit into Zelda (because the team were inspired by it)

I'm thinking:

- Fishing!!
- Hunting for food but also animal pelts (not as graphic as RDR2 obviously)
- Ordering meals and drinks at a bar, maybe these meals have exclusive perks same with drinks
- Settlements like Valentine and Strawberry
- Maybe even gangs of thieves and bandits (we had that Bokoblin King in Twilight Princess)
- A base camp with perhaps various playable characters from different races to help you with certain dungeons including Zelda, as you progress you unlock more people in your group with new abilities.
- This kinda acts like masks from Majora's Mask as you switch between characters in dungeons
- Modifying the breakable weapons system so you can go to a blacksmith and strengthen and sharpen weapons as well as maintain them (like gun oil system in RDR2). Perhaps get recipes to forge your own weapons. Maybe the blacksmith in settlements could also be responsible for upgrading equipment such as turning the hookshot into a longshot etc.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Seeing the recent rating listing for Persona on Xbox, so we think we could also see it come to Switch? Considering Strikers is on Switch, Joker in Smash, SMT 3 HD is on it and with SMT V being Switch exclusive (essentially Atlus having a good relationship with Nintendo).

It kinda feels like a matter of when, and was wondering if there were any hints. I wanna start my fifth playthrough on PS, but may wait if it comes to Switch.

I could see a "more platforms" trailer at E3 with Switch, PC and Xbox.
If Nintendo pays for it yeah.. but they won't because they already have Shin Megami Tensei V exclusive.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm curious:

2. Do you plan on purchasing a PS5 or XBS console in the future (or do you already own one or both of them)?
1. Well, I do own a PS4, but I haven't played it since TLOU in early 2019, and God of War in H1 2018 before that.
1a. I feel entitled to answer this as I've been Switch-only for basically 1.5 years 😅 But yeah, I'm very satisfied with Switch currently. Tons of games, I can barely keep up.

2. Eventually I do, I want to play Ratchet & Clank at some point, so probably a PS5 sometime in the future. My priority is for securing a Switch Pro when it happens, and I might skip the PS5 if they bring their games to PC within 2 years, in which case my laptop can play them just fine I think.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'd say it shows up at E3 if it releases any time before H2 2022 (and I think it will); the first three Xenoblade games all showed up at E3, no reason to change things now.
Yeah, a reveal at E3 fits with the lead-in to release for Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade DE. 11 months from announcement to release for the former, and 8 months for the latter.

Announcement at E3 should mean the game launches late this year at the earliest, but by next E3 at the latest. And, honestly, in terms of first party stuff, I think Nintendo stick to games that are targeting the next 12 months.

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
Seeing the recent rating listing for Persona on Xbox, so we think we could also see it come to Switch? Considering Strikers is on Switch, Joker in Smash, SMT 3 HD is on it and with SMT V being Switch exclusive (essentially Atlus having a good relationship with Nintendo).

It kinda feels like a matter of when, and was wondering if there were any hints. I wanna start my fifth playthrough on PS, but may wait if it comes to Switch.

I could see a "more platforms" trailer at E3 with Switch, PC and Xbox.
If it's real I'll be surprised if they don't announce P5R for Xbox, Gamepass, PC and Switch all at the same time. I know some think there might be an exclusivity deal and maybe Sony is okay with Persona on Xbox but not Switch, but then why would Atlus ask fans if they wanted P5 on Switch in their surveys when there's this apparent exclusivity deal? I know people scoff at the surveys but we know Nocturne HD, a Persona musou game and P4G on PC happened, at least partially, because of the surveys. Crazy as it seems Atlus takes that shit seriously, so if they were asking fans if they wanted P5R on Xbox, PC and Switch I gotta believe it at least has a shot at happening.

Watch, it's gonna be part of Nintendo E3 Direct
If it happens I doubt it'll be in the Direct since I doubt Atlus and Nintendo want the shine from SMT V to be potentially taken away by a Persona announcement. If it does happen it'll probably be announced at Xbox's conference first, everyone freaks out because it's no on their platform of choice and then minutes later Atlus announces on their twitter that it's coming out on everything.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Pretty much. Why make your game PS exclusive when even Sony is bringing theirs to PC?
SteamPal will get P4G/5R before Switch ever does
I agree. When Sony themselves start putting their stuff onto Steam and co., why shouldn't third parties, even if their games might be timed (console) exclusives?! It's in their own interest, reaching a wider audience. In the end, it's obviously all about maximizing profits and trying to not step on business partners' toes while doing so.

And hey, I'd play P4G/P5R on the SteamPal if it means being able to play them handheld, and natively running/not through streaming at that! :D

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some series just have to be at E3 if they're releasing before the next E3 including Xenoblade, 3D Mario and 3D Zelda.

Cheesehead302

Jun 7, 2019
Right? It also seems to be divisive, there's people who think the lore is too sacred and that including Ridley due the lore implications was a mistake...
Samus Returns in general seems divisive speaking of that. It may be my favorite 2d game though, it's between that and Zero Mission. The controls are just too good and the difficulty curve feels great.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Just because there was listing only for Xbox doesn't mean it's just for Xbox, right? I know I shouldn't believe in a P5 Switch port because "it's Atlus" but I never bought into Sony having some exclusivity with Persona, so if this is real then all it says so me is that this game getting ported to everything is much more likely.
I've been expecting a Persona port for the Switch forever. 5, 4, Royal… anything. Every time I'm like: oh well of course now they'll bring over an actual mainline Persona to Switch they don't.
I thought they would when:
  • They added Joker to Smash
  • They announced P5 Royal
  • They ported Persona 4 Golden to PC
  • And when they essentially brought the sequel to Persona 5 to Switch
But no matter what Atlus did either they didn't want to bother with the Switch or there hands were tied, and we STILL don't have a mainline Persona game on the Switch.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Part of me has decided that yes, this year's new Zelda title will be 2D and that it will also be a multiplayer title, for maximum internet meltdowns.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 on Xbox but not Switch?

tenor.gif

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
I've been expecting a Persona port for the Switch forever. 5, 4, Royal… anything. Every time I'm like: oh well of course now they'll bring over an actual mainline Persona to Switch they don't.
But no matter what Atlus did either they didn't want to bother with the Switch or there hands were tied, and we STILL don't have a mainline Persona game on the Switch.

Well Strikers, while being a musou, it's technically considered a mainline game as it's a direct sequel to P5.
I'm in the same spot though, been wanting to play it for ages, but I never play with consoles connected to a TV, the switch is the reason why I can still game, basically

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
*shrugs* Honestly up until last year I never thought Persona would go multiplatform, but after P4G's steam port, it's success, Atlus & Sega's response to that success and Atlus' surveys questioning Xbox/PC/Switch ports made me a believer (at least partially). These things take time, but I guess we'll see.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Four Swords Adventures would be amazing with online tbh.
I could see an anniversary edition of that happening, but I also think Switch is the perfect system for a new multiplayer Zelda, to finally allow Nintendo to flesh out the idea. FSA is fantastic, though.

I'm sort of riffing on what someone posted last night, where someone posted an Aonuma interview from 2017 when he said there were no plans for the 2D Zelda team to merge with the 3D team. Given Grezzo handled Link's Awakening, and given we haven't had a brand new '2D' Zelda since Triforce Heroes (which was also co-developed by Grezzo), I've been of the opinion that the 2D series is currently on hiatus due to the demands of making open world Zelda. But, Aonuma said a separate 2D Zelda team would continue to work and would be challenged to reimagine 2D Zelda.

So my fun, not entirely serious prediction ahead of E3, is that Nintendo will announce and release a new 2D Zelda this year, ahead of Breath of the Wild 2 launching next year.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of fooling around with Persona, Atlus should make a sequel to Radiant Historia and make that a series.

(and get their old character designer back while they're at it)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the thread was kind of a hasty reaction.
Watch it come to Steam, just like P4G did, and PS having some console exclusivity deal after all, lol.

I think it will come to Xbox, even just because Phil Spencer directly namedropped it. I think MS are taking a bath on these deals to change perception so if he has to by out the exclusivity he will.

Can I be an insider now if it happens?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'm curious:

I would never only have a Nintendo console. I like games too much for that.

Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc are fantastic.

But Souls, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Sony first party games and a whole lot more are fantastic too. And I'd also prefer playing stuff without the graphical compromises that the Switch needs (e.g. DQ11S is jaggy af compared to the vanilla release).

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I think it will come to Xbox, even just because Phil Spencer directly namedropped it. I think MS are taking a bath on these deals to change perception so if he has to by out the exclusivity he will.

Can I be an insider now if it happens?
I don't like the precedent this generally sets. Third parties waiting for platform holders to drop a bag of cash for their games while PS seemingly gets them by default does not sound healthy in the long run to me.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the precedent this generally sets. Third parties waiting for platform holders to drop a bag of cash for their games while PS seemingly gets them by default does not sound healthy in the long run to me.

Nope, which is why I've already been against it when people suggest Nintendo do that.

Luckily Nintendo should be able to take a different tact than MS in this situation because they're in wildly different positions.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
With Japanese games this is just likely to happen. The fact is they don't sell that well on Xbox and Xbox is a pretty toxic brand in that country too. I don't think we should worry about publishers expecting Nintendo to do that. Publishers WANT to be on Switch.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I don't think this is the case, but if Sega is holding out on a switch port of P5 because they want Nintendo to cover the costs or just drop some cash, they are the ones losing money. It just doesn't make any sense.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious:

1. No, and yes I am satisfied with it.
2. If sony lets me get a ps5. Soon it will be what I can get first a PS5 or a Switch Pro. I have PC game pass.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Persona on Xbox but not on Switch would be peak Atlus platform clownery and I 100% believe it will happen. Only Atlus is weird enough for such a move.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Do they? A bunch of them for sure, but looking at some others (Sega, parts of S-E, Bandai Namco?!), I'm not 100% convinced. But I also can't prove the opposite being the case, so ... 🤷‍♂️
Do Sega and SE not strongly support switch? There are exclusives from each of them on the platform. The only things that aren't are things paid for by Sony or things that'll probably come to Switch Pro rather than Switch.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
The switch pro has a lot of impact on software compared to 3ds xl or switch lite which just fit with E3.
I don't think a short video like those two is enough to present the hardware and the games so it would mean another rather lengthy direct so soon after e3, kind of awkward.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

This is one of the biggest problems Nintendo is having: Playstation loyalty. Switch could sell 200 million and PS5 could be stuck at 20m and some publishers still support PS, as this was evident with unusually big support for Vita. It's so hard for Nintendo to break this loyalty and become a market leader among publishers just like they are now among consumers. They are trying hard, though.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Do Sega and SE not strongly support switch?
I personally wouldn't call the support of either of the two more than decent. S-E's might be a bit more solid at best, and that's thanks to the deals with Nintendo for Team Asano games mostly + DQ.
No KH, no Nier, no dedicated FF projects for Switch so far doesn't paint a great picture in my book. Sega skipping on Vanquish, Sakura Wars, Yakuza games among others also doesn't scream good support.
things that'll probably come to Switch Pro rather than Switch.
I don't think this is a convincing argument given its hypothetical nature.

But tbh, I'm as informed about the decision making and line of thought of JP 3rd parties as most others on here, i.e. I've only got superficial knowledge at the end of the day, which makes it really hard to draw definitive conclusions.
The most solid indicator is the amount of actual support those publishers have given to the Switch thus far, and I'd say it paints a mixed picture; one which doesn't necessarily say "we WANT to be on Switch", at least in my eyes.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm curious:

1. PS4/X1 don't count as current gen right? Then yes, I guess, though the PC I have is a year old.

I'm satisfied enough with my Switch, though I'm disappointed in the direction multiple favorite Nintendo series have gone in (Smash, Pokemon, Paper Mario, and Animal Crossing, though Smash I've had issues with going back to Brawl and Ultimate's still probably one of the best possible versions of what it is). I still think it's one of Nintendo's best consoles though because it has the best third-party support since the SNES for a console and is probably going to be second to the DS for handhelds when everything is said and done, and there are a lot of great games on it.

2. I'll get a PS5 at some point down the line. Depending on when FF16 and Forespoken come out I'll either get it within the next year or two, or just wait for a Pro/Slim version. Part of me is tempted to skip it if Persona 6 gets announced and it's a PC game though. The real thing I'm looking for is a 3080 though.

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of my gaming time has transitioned over to playing games on older platforms recently. These past couple months I've mostly played PS1 Classics on my Vita and playing original DS games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious:

yes, yes and no
i'm a handheld gamer, i hardly ever play games on the tv.

edit: i do occasionally play older pc games, if my 2015 laptop can handle them.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
I'm curious:

I own Switch and a Series S and i'm satisfied with both. The PS5 is impossible to find for now, so it would probably take some years for me to buy it, but i still don't like the direction Sony is taking. So i don't know if i'll end up buying it, if and when it becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.