• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I definitely do not disagree. In my eyes the goal should be to be as independent from third parties as possible while still being majorly successful. History has shown that third parties will drop your platform if they don't perceive it as worthy of their investment and support. That doesn't mean that one should actively discourage them from contributing to your platform either, but it's an issue if you've got to rely on them to such an extent that their absence or support might make or break your business fundamentally. I think that's something SIE's also been shifting towards (partially), at least more so than in prior generations, putting more emphasis on their first party and trying to pull in people that way, cultivating a PlayStation brand and identity people want to naturally cling to. Unifying their output under the PlayStation Studios banner is another part of that in my eyes, pushing that brand recognition and identity.

And yeah, trying to offer what third parties usually would is definitely key. Though building up stuff like that obviously takes a lot of resources, and one might not be in the position to do just that depending on the current overall success and context. Getting there would also require Nintendo stocking up on developers in a major way, and that doesn't really seem to be their MO, even when at their most successful.

It's a pretty delicate balancing act, I assume. Especially when third parties aren't your best friends to begin with, lol.

Nintendo obviously still wants third party support and there's risk involved with trying to gobble everything up. Mutually beneficial agreements with third parties is a much safer route.

Saying that... if you look at recent software date for Japan/Asia Nintendo definitely doesn't need to drastically increase output to start drowning out other publishers.
They're already more or less doing that. Things like Bayonetta and Deadly Premonition come to mind.

Sure, they should just continue doing it and expand the scope of what they do it with.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I'm so excited to see Metroid V and BOTW 2. I could have other grievances or disappointments with the show, but if these two show up in a big way, it's gonna be hard not to get pumped up lol

Oct 30, 2017
If they won't show the Switch Pro what will the third parties do?They will cancel their showings?
It seems so nonsensical not to show it before...

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
It's pretty much the only way. The big publishers are going to keep moving the goalposts, like the publishers who didn't support Switch because of the gap between PS4 and Switch are also going to skip Switch Pro because of the gap between PS5 and that. There's no point chasing them.

The other thing they can do is what publishers always complained about and actually compete against third parties by building up their own IPs. Bamco don't want to put Tales on Switch? Cool, steal their audience with Xenoblade.

On this topic:
an intresting thing that came out from the last Jeff Grubb stream concerning sony´s communication.

He said that sony may not right now communicate well with gamers, but that it certainly communicates well with other companies ( in this context all the different developers and publishers): " if you do something Sony does not like, like you partner with Microsoft and there was a chance you could have partnered with them(Sony), Sony might retaliate..and a future deal, that you thought could be done with sony, might not happen"( Jeff heard this from different Indie developers and PR people)

Jeff also speculates that this is the reason Elden Ring will not appear on the microsoft show.
Seeing the proprtion of software form japanese developers sold on PS consoles and Xbox consoles, you can see why Sony can throw their weight around.

It is reasonable to assume the same happens with Nintendo if the games in question could be considered interesting for Playstation, so FF Remake is locked with Sony for now and games with no interest for them (Octopath, BDII, Traingle Strategy) are free from this.

This segment in the link:

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I'm curious:

1. Is Switch your only "current gen" console?
1a. If so, are you satisfied with it?

1. Nope, I am always there Day1 on Nintendo and PlayStation. Love my PS5, the DualSense may be my fav controller ever already.
1a. N/A, but hypothetically there's enough to play on either (counting PS4BC) where I could perfectly content being a one platform owner if I wasn't already attached to both ecosystems. I see one of the benefits of having only one current console - it would be a bit easier not to have such a massive backlog when you have wide genre interests.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm curious:

2. Do you plan on purchasing a PS5 or XBS console in the future (or do you already own one or both of them)?
1) yes
1a) yes
2. No. I only really use portables, I rarely sit in front of a tv long enough to make use of a home console. I do have a long list of PS4 stuff I want to check out one day though, I'll keep adding to it and get around to them one day.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
I'm curious:

2. Do you plan on purchasing a PS5 or XBS console in the future (or do you already own one or both of them)?
Yep, it has been since 2017.

I would say I am satisfied. Joycon drift is a bitch, but the library has been really good. I do long for more big budget AAA games though, which is why the idea of a switch pro excites me.

I don't see myself getting another current gen console anytime soon though. I have friends with those consoles so I get my fill there. PS5 and XBS have some killer games, but nothing worth the huge price of entry yet imo.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Is there strong evidence of xenoblade 3 possibility?
Takahashi said the next Xenoblade started production at the same as Xenoblade Definitive Edition (a bit after the release of Torna), so it's very likely releasing within the next year.
We have no clue if it's Xenoblade 3, X2, or a brand new sub title, but a new Xenoblade is imminent. Could see it being announced in the September direct though ! For a March/April/May 2022 release. E3 might be a bit soon to announce it.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
What strikes me as weird is that Nintendo is going last at E3, so if the Pro announcement ahead of E3 was so third parties could show off their games on it, that would mean they would be showing footage before Nintendo. I would think Nintendo would be the first to show off games on their own hardware. Now the third party running on Pro stuff could be in the Direct or in the Treehouse but if that's the case, then Nintendo would be the ones presenting the third party games.

The Direct is done. They are not adding in or removing footage at this point. They could show them during Treehouse but the schedule is probably mostly set in stone now as well. So what's my point? It's either that the Pro announcement was never scheduled to happen before E3 or if it, I don't think it's likely we should see Pro footage at third party presentations ahead of Nintendo's.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On this topic:
an intresting thing that came out from the last Jeff Grubb stream concerning sony´s communication.

He said that sony may not right now communicate well with gamers, but that it certainly communicates well with other companies ( in this context all the different developers and publishers): " if you do something Sony does not like, like you partner with Microsoft and there was a chance you could have partnered with them(Sony), Sony might retaliate..and a future deal, that you thought could be done with sony, might not happen"( Jeff heard this from different Indie developers and PR people)

Jeff also speculates that this is the reason Elden Ring will not appear on the microsoft show.
Seeing the proprtion of software form japanese developers sold on PS consoles and Xbox consoles, you can see why Sony can throw their weight around.

It is reasonable to assume the same happens with Nintendo if the games in question could be considered interesting for Playstation, so FF Remake is locked with Sony for now and games with no interest for them (Octopath, BDII, Traingle Strategy) are free from this.

This segment in the link:

That's interesting and definitely goes along with some stuff we've seen in recent years, like the NISA debacle or the comments from CyberConnect 2.

I also thought it was interesting that the poster that was talking about the FF spinoff said something along the lines "it will be obvious which Square Enix games Sony does and doesn't care about".

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
No one teased Switch Pro exclusive ports on E3. Quite the contrary, actually.

No one should tease Switch Pro ports. All we have are leaks for couple of games but no info on where they're releasing on. Borderlands and Life is Strange 3 could be Switch Pro ports, especially LiS3 Switch version was mysteriously missing from the initial announcement.

Jan 26, 2019
This was posted on the Discord, you all need to watch it, it's absolutely bonkers. E3 already started.

WTF 😳

There's already a (shorter) third one, which released on the Satellaview. Ayumi is the protagonist in that one. I expect it to be remade. A brand new 4th one is the dream though !

Interesting. I thought that was a spin-off for some reason. But I really liked the games on Switch (never played them earlier) and it would be nice if the project was successful enough to warrant new entries.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I'm curious:

1. I consider Switch in the same "current gen" as PS5 and XSX so no, Switch is the only one. For last gen I have a PS4, 3DS XL and Wii U.
1a. Yeah. I don't have time for everything I have (or want) for Switch, PS4 and Steam so a new system is out of the question right now.
2. Same as 1a.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell did I just watch?

88aca1ab-3bfb-4c6d-968b-6625a396df27_text.gif

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching some Februrary Direct reactions and it's really funny the number of people saying "I thought it was already on Switch" when seeing the Fall Guys reveal. They really missed that window with this game it seems.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Palworld is more or less a sequel to this already bonkers game by the same studio, featuring bootleg BOTW2's Zelda. (You'll notice the reuse of Akira's bike shot reference in both games' trailers lmao, incredible)

Interesting. I thought that was a spin-off for some reason. But I really liked the games on Switch (never played them earlier) and it would be nice if the project was successful enough to warrant new entries.
It was Mages, the studio behind the remakes, who went to Nintendo to greenlight the remakes, so I'm sure they're willing to continue working on those, and Sakamoto probably still is a big fan of this franchise of his and would love to see new releases, I'm sure we'll see more of it in the future ! Sakamoto definitely seems to me like a producer who really care about his franchises, given how his games have always been on the weird/niche side of Nintendo's outputs.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Palworld is more or less a sequel to this already bonkers game by the same studio, featuring bootleg BOTW2's Zelda. (You'll notice the reuse of Akira's bike shot reference in both games' trailers lmao, incredible)

It was Mages, the studio behind the remakes, who went to Nintendo to greenlight the remakes, so I'm sure they're willing to continue working on those, and Sakamoto probably still is a big fan of this franchise of his and would love to see new releases, I'm sure we'll see more of it in the future ! Sakamoto definitely seems to me like a producer who really care about his franchises, given how his games have always been on the weird/niche side of Nintendo's outputs.

That swing axe animation. Lol

core crystals? Daruk's protection? Shield deflection? Paraglider? Damn sure is inspired lol.

holy hell, those poor cows!

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
I'm curious:

1. No
1a. Yes very much.
2. I do own a launch PS5 but haven't played it since January. Only ever used it to play immortals and Astrobot. If not for Netflix it would be collecting dust. Just decided to sell it off because I realised I completely fell of stationary gaming.

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
This looks very good and also very stupid.
■ Survival
- This world is full of dangers such as food shortages, harsh weather, and illegal poachers. You must be prepared to do anything if you want to survive. You may even need to consume Pals sometimes...

■ Building
- Do you want to build a pyramid? You can have a large number of Pals work on the construction. Don't worry; labor laws won't be applied to Pals.

■ Factory and Automation
- It is essential for automation to let Pals do the manual work. Build a factory and place Pals in it. They will work forever as long as they're fed until the end of their lifetime.

■ Dungeon Exploration
- With Pals, you'll be safe in dangerous areas. If you are in danger, you use Pals to cover your escape! They'll give their lives to protect you.

■ Poaching and Crime
- Endangered species Pals live in the hunting prohibited area. If you sneak in and catch them, you'll get tons of money! It's only illegal if you get caught.

MY FUCKING SIDES

This is unironically my most hyped 2022 game, see you after becoming Pokémon's Henry Ford

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Craftopia is an even crazier trailer then Palworld!
It starts as a simple BOTW and Monster Hunter bootleg, but suddenly the protagonist rides a buggy, jump out of it to let it explode to blow ennemies, and then there's a tank, you send cows to death at an industrial pace, and it ends with a rocket flying to space, this is insane yeah lmao

Still think the bootleg Pokémon first being shown as cute animal friends helping you in a war, for then seeing them being actually forced to labor, takes the cake for me.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
■ Survival
- This world is full of dangers such as food shortages, harsh weather, and illegal poachers. You must be prepared to do anything if you want to survive. You may even need to consume Pals sometimes...

■ Building
- Do you want to build a pyramid? You can have a large number of Pals work on the construction. Don't worry; labor laws won't be applied to Pals.

■ Factory and Automation
- It is essential for automation to let Pals do the manual work. Build a factory and place Pals in it. They will work forever as long as they're fed until the end of their lifetime.

■ Dungeon Exploration
- With Pals, you'll be safe in dangerous areas. If you are in danger, you use Pals to cover your escape! They'll give their lives to protect you.

■ Poaching and Crime
- Endangered species Pals live in the hunting prohibited area. If you sneak in and catch them, you'll get tons of money! It's only illegal if you get caught.

MY FUCKING SIDES

This is unironically my most hyped 2022 game, see you after becoming Pokémon's Henry Ford
This is stupid as hell but incredibly ambitious, I legit love it lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.