• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Point here is, we don't know if third parties will bother with older Switch anymore. Miracle ports like The Witcher 3 are time consuming and very expensive, many publishers might move such projects to Pro. If that's the case, we're not getting any "miracle ports" for Switch soon. Meaning games like Borderlands 3 and LiS3 could be no show this E3.

We could get Resi Evil Outrage announcement though. It's a Switch (timed?) exclusive and there's no reason for it to be Switch Pro only game. And maybe Mass Effect Trilogy too. Other than these, I'm not sure.
Life is Strange 3 won't be Pro-exclusive lol. And the regular Switch has the bigger install base by far.

Oct 26, 2017
The Switch Pro launching this year is kind of weird because there has not really been ambitious software released, announced, or even rumored for this year, lol.

Games released so far:

3D World (one of the best looking games on Switch but a WiiU port)
Bravely Default 2 (not a looker...)
New Pokemon Snap (looks fine)
Famicom Detective Club (looks fine)

Games announced for release this year:

Mario Golf (looks fine)
No More Heroes 3 (one of the worst looking games on Switch)
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (easily the worst looking game on Switch that wasn't just shovelware)
Skyward Sword (upscaled Wii game)

Games rumored for this year:

2D Metroid (could be pretty but we'll see and I doubt the scope will be ambitious enough to be limited by the Switch CPU)
Fire Emblem 4 Remake (Three Houses has great character models, but the worst textures on Switch)
2D Donkey Kong or 2D Mario (same as 2D Metroid but likely to be prettier)

Now, if 2022 has BotW2, Pokemon Arceus, and Xenoblade 3, that's a much different story.

But it feels like a weird situation of launching a semi new platform with basically no visually demanding software released in maybe a year.

At least Hyrule Warriors AoC and Monster Hunter Rise will probably be better on the Pro.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Point here is, we don't know if third parties will bother with older Switch anymore. Miracle ports like The Witcher 3 are time consuming and very expensive, many publishers might move such projects to Pro. If that's the case, we're not getting any "miracle ports" for Switch soon. Meaning games like Borderlands 3 and LiS3 could be no show this E3.
Nah, it's not that simple. When they decide to do these "miracle ports", the publishers have (presumably) run the numbers and decided that the cost will be outweighed by the sales, and that comes down in large part to the massive install base. That calculus will remain true for the foreseeable future - a few million Switch Pros doesn't suddenly make a port a waste of time.

I believe (and I also believe this is what Nate has been suggesting, but I do not mean to put words in his mouth) that the Switch Pro exclusives will be new games that would previously be coming simultaneously to, say, PS4/PS5/XBOX/PC, and can now instead do PS4/PS5/XBOX/PC/NSWPro for not much more additional investment. I don't think after-the-fact ports to Switch Pro only really make a lot of business sense.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (easily the worst looking game on Switch that wasn't just shovelware)
Oh, come on.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, it's not that simple. When they decide to do these "miracle ports", the publishers have (presumably) run the numbers and decided that the cost will be outweighed by the sales, and that comes down in large part to the massive install base. That calculus will remain true for the foreseeable future - a few million Switch Pros doesn't suddenly make a port a waste of time.

I believe (and I also believe this is what Nate has been suggesting, but I do not mean to put words in his mouth) that the Switch Pro exclusives will be new games that would previously be coming simultaneously to, say, PS4/PS5/XBOX/PC, and can now instead do PS4/PS5/XBOX/PC/NSWPro for not much more additional investment. I don't think after-the-fact ports to Switch Pro only really make a lot of business sense.

Oh, come on.

It looks horrible!

Which games look worse?

Three Houses has worse textures, but at least it has good cutscenes and character models.

Oct 28, 2019

We could get Resi Evil Outrage announcement though. It's a Switch (timed?) exclusive and there's no reason for it to be Switch Pro only game. And maybe Mass Effect Trilogy too. Other than these, I'm not sure.

Can you post that list again of all rumoured third party ports (that had listings pop-up etc.)? You posted it before iirc.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
???????

fe6639efdf68f0c8f1e4a8b1a8db7caf1dcf4293.gifv

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
They expect no Prime 4 but a 2D Metroid reveal. They are also hopeful that Bayonetta might appear, but they don't seem confident. They expect Super Mario Party 2 and the finale of the Smash roster (a Pokemon and Crash Bandicoot seems to be their predictions). They expect a BOTW2 trailer with the full name reveal and a couple of trailers for Mario Golf, Skyward Sword and Pokemon. Aside from that they expect a few ports/remasters, although no WW/TP since it wouldn't work with Skyward Sword. They hope for Prime Trilogy, but aren't confident it'll happen. They briefly talked about Ubisoft and what we could expect from a collaboration, perhaps Mario Rabbids 2?

They just seemed to think that this E3 will be very safe and this year will be focused more on ports and remasters
Another year that relies on ports and remasters would be a sad reality. The balance of " old games" to new games has already been pretty bad during the Switch era.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
The Switch Pro launching this year is kind of weird because there has not really been ambitious software released, announced, or even rumored for this year, lol.

Games released so far:

Mario Golf (looks fine)

2D Metroid (could be pretty but we'll see and I doubt the scope will be ambitious enough to be limited by the Switch CPU)
Fire Emblem 4 Remake (Three Houses has great character models, but the worst textures on Switch)

Now, if 2022 has BotW2, Pokemon Arceus, and Xenoblade 3, that's a much different story.

But it feels like a weird situation of launching a semi new platform with basically no visually demanding software released in maybe a year.

At least Hyrule Warriors AoC and Monster Hunter Rise will probably be better on the Pro.
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl look fine. Just because you don't like the artstyle doesn't mean it looks terrible. I'd argue that Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Fire Emblem, literally any NES or SNES game, Super Mario 64, and Pokemon Sword and Shield look worse.

Pakooly

Jun 25, 2020
They expect no Prime 4 but a 2D Metroid reveal. They are also hopeful that Bayonetta might appear, but they don't seem confident. They expect Super Mario Party 2 and the finale of the Smash roster (a Pokemon and Crash Bandicoot seems to be their predictions). They expect a BOTW2 trailer with the full name reveal and a couple of trailers for Mario Golf, Skyward Sword and Pokemon. Aside from that they expect a few ports/remasters, although no WW/TP since it wouldn't work with Skyward Sword. They hope for Prime Trilogy, but aren't confident it'll happen. They briefly talked about Ubisoft and what we could expect from a collaboration, perhaps Mario Rabbids 2?

They just seemed to think that this E3 will be very safe and this year will be focused more on ports and remasters
If this year is even more port-focused than the last one, that would set a new record for Nintendo. I expect at the very least that there's some heavy-hitter planned for the holidays besides Pokemon. That would be the minimum.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Pro is gonna sell no matter what.

it really doesn't need a "visually demanding" game to launch with. It would help, but it doesn't need it. Especially with the rumor it's fazing out the original.

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021

Games released so far:

Mario Golf (looks fine)

I'm willing to bet an IS developed FE game would have better graphics than Pokemon Legends and XB3 tbh (although this one is harder to predict since we obviously haven't seen it yet). I think the character models would probably look a lot better and less "generic anime game" than 3H too. I honestly think the 3H models look pretty mediocre. Doesn't help that they have terrible, boring animations in and out of battle...

Either way, I think FE could be a graphical showcase too if it's made by the actual FE devs instead of Koei Tecmo next time.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Life is Strange 3 won't be Pro-exclusive lol. And the regular Switch has the bigger install base by far.

Would love to see a port running on the base Switch. But it being Switch pro exclusive was the logical explanation for the Switch version missing from the announcement. You can't hope people to double dip an adventure game like this.

Can you post that list again of all rumoured third party ports (that had listings pop-up etc.)? You posted it before iirc.

Resident Evil Outrage (Capcom leaks)
Mass Effect Trilogy (4 separate retail listings)
Nier Replicant (Amazon France, also very recently Switch version mentioned in the code)
Prince of Persia (Ubisoft removed mentions of Switch version for whatever reason)
Dragon Ball Z Kakarot (Switch logo in the trailer)
Life is Strange 3 (rating)
Borderlands 3 (DLC rating)
Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania (rating)

There was also Crysis 2 Remastered but they announced it a few days ago. So far these are the leaked games waiting for official announcement.

Oct 28, 2019
Nier Replicant (Amazon France, also very recently Switch version mentioned in the code)
Prince of Persia (Ubisoft removed mentions of Switch version for whatever reason)

There was also Crysis 2 Remastered but they announced it a few days ago. So far these are the leaked games waiting for official announcement.

Cheers bud, couple of tasty games indeed.

Pakooly

Jun 25, 2020

Games released so far:

Mario Golf (looks fine)

I think NMH3 looks ok, but yeah, the D/P remakes look terrible.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Kevin360 Do you maybe want to make a "next OT title" straw poll? We're starting to get close. I had also suggested earlier to combine it with "do we want to go to 450 pages on this thread?" but of course the choice is yours.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious:

1. Is Switch your only "current gen" console?
1a. If so, are you satisfied with it?

2. Do you plan on purchasing a PS5 or XBS console in the future (or do you already own one or both of them)?

1. No, I have a Series S as well.
1a. I guess since I've only gotten it very recently I can still reply to this: I'm mostly satisfied with the Switch. Software has been mostly pretty great for me, hardware and services can be a mixed bag sometimes. There's a lot of things I'd like to see improved in the future, Switch Pro or not. More than hardware power, I think the joycon drift has been a real shitshow.

2. The XSS is pretty much my multimedia and Game Pass machine (I did let my subscription lapse after the trial month though). It fits nicely into our living room setup so I barely notice that it's there. The Series X I could just about make work, PS5 in its current shape is a nonstarter. So if possible, I'd like to avoid buying another console after the Switch Pro unless there's considerably smaller redesigns.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I could see someone hating the all-over-the-place artstyle of NMH3, but it's certainly not bad from a technical standpoint and wouldn't be improved by more power. Same with Diamond & Pearl. It looks that way because of decisions made, and certainly not because of hardware issues. This should be clear in the context of existing releases like Link's Awakening and Astral Chain.

I don't know what the hell is up with Diamond & Pearl though. My theory is that Legends: Arceus originally started as a full, open world Diamond & Pearl remake, but somewhere along the line they realized that the scope of their game would not at all fit with the release schedule. So they "pawned off" the job of remaking D&P to a third party, and reworked their existing Sinnoh assets into a new game but set far in the past so they don't need to animate, like, full cities and stuff.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
If this year is even more port-focused than the last one, that would set a new record for Nintendo. I expect at the very least that there's some heavy-hitter planned for the holidays besides Pokemon. That would be the minimum.

Another year that relies on ports and remasters would be a sad reality. The balance of " old games" to new games has already been pretty bad during the Switch era.

I think this year will be pretty lukewarm for the Switch. There are a lot of titles that are gonna sell a ton for sure, but nothing that I'd personally consider a GOTY contender. I would love to be proven wrong though, as always. So far I think I'm looking forward to SMT V the most, since it would be my first in that franchise and I love JRPGs. I wish I could get more into the D/P remakes but I don't like how they look at all

Oct 26, 2017
I'm willing to bet an IS developed FE game would have better graphics than Pokemon Legends and XB3 tbh (although this one is harder to predict since we obviously haven't seen it yet). I think the character models would probably look a lot better and less "generic anime game" than 3H too. I honestly think the 3H models look pretty mediocre. Doesn't help that they have terrible, boring animations in and out of battle...

Either way, I think FE could be a graphical showcase too if it's made by the actual FE devs instead of Koei Tecmo next time.

Arceus and Xenoblade 3 will not have good graphics or anything, but they're going to struggle badly to hit HD resolutions and 30 FPS on the base Switch (at the very least in handheld mode) based on prior dev history.

So they could potentially benefit a lot from a Switch Pro.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

thank you for this! Pro future is looking real bright

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Would love to see a port running on the base Switch. But it being Switch pro exclusive was the logical explanation for the Switch version missing from the announcement. You can't hope people to double dip an adventure game like this.

I need a new RE, I'm totally down for Outrage. Is there any estimated release window?

Pakooly

Jun 25, 2020
I think this year will be pretty lukewarm for the Switch. There are a lot of titles that are gonna sell a ton for sure, but nothing that I'd personally consider a GOTY contender. I would love to be proven wrong though, as always. So far I think I'm looking forward to SMT V the most, since it would be my first in that franchise and I love JRPGs. I wish I could get more into the D/P remakes but I don't like how they look at all
There has to be some big first party game coming soon. I refuse to think that Nintendo has been sitting on the Animal Crossing sales for one year and a half. And I know that third party support has been pretty strong in the first half of this year, but I think that we should expect something more than ports from Nintendo for the second half.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? I just saw this the poll now. I was under the impression the new donkey Kong would be 2d.

Are there better sources saying it's 3D?

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Kevin360 Do you maybe want to make a "next OT title" straw poll? We're starting to get close. I had also suggested earlier to combine it with "do we want to go to 450 pages on this thread?" but of course the choice is yours.
Gimme a quick list of thread title ideas!

It must include some variation of "Metroid happening."

I'm also good to let this thread go a little longer if that's allowed too!

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

The Life is Strange remasters are also heavily rumored for Switch (they were leaked alongside the original LiS3 leak), but not announced yet. Those games can run on phones lmao. No way they're Pro exclusive. And if those aren't, LiS3 shouldn't be either.

ThousandDanny

Aug 25, 2020
I find Dexit a non issue and perfectly reasonable
Not sure if this is a meme but I also was totally unbothered by it. I don't mind if people are disappointed, but that controversy felt like it got way too blown out of proportion. (Also, I know not everyone was acting in bad faith, but people would even post dexit memes on BLM posts, as if that was the time or place)

Personally, my gripe with SwSh was the removal of exp share as something you could turn off. I like playing Pokémon games underleveled and it was frustrating to have that option removed.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most people only saw the footage from the February Direct, which didn't look exactly good.
I don't think it necessarily looked great in that footage and I agree it looked pretty suboptimal then (the trailer since then looked a bit better), but the things about it that look egregious are generally things hamstrung by the hardware itself (dynamic res compounded by the fact that it's a UE4 game on Switch prioritizing to hit 60 fps), and would probably get cleaned up pretty well on the Pro, especially when you look at the direct feed shots which is what the game is clearly targeting in fidelity; far from one of the "worst" looking games.

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what? I just saw this the poll now. I was under the impression the new donkey Kong would be 2d.

Are there better sources saying it's 3D?

I think the DK rumor is mostly.

1. Nintendo EPD Tokyo hired people to make a 2D action game
2. It would be boring if they made a 2D Mario game so maybe it's Donkey Kong?
3. It would be kind of disappointing if it was a 2D DK instead of a 3D DK so maybe it's a 3D DK?

I think Nintendo EPD Tokyo is making a 2D Mario reboot (new graphical style and new gimmicks) for late 2021.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Gimme a quick list of thread title ideas!

It must include some variation of "Metroid happening."

I'm also good to let this thread go a little longer if that's allowed too!
My favorite was yours! "Nintendo General Discussion | OT Twent-E3+1 | The One Where Metroid Finally Happens" But I know some were hoping for a Wii24Connect joke somewhere in there.

I find Dexit a non issue and perfectly reasonable
Not really a hot take tbh. Pokemon fans are just a little too hung up on the past but it's obviously unsustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.