• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
So, I've played around with this only a little bit, but is anyone able to write up a detailed "walkthrough" of what exactly this means? I've tried saving in-game, then going back to the menu with the controller shortcut, but I lost my progress anyway. Did I miss a step?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've played around with this only a little bit, but is anyone able to write up a detailed "walkthrough" of what exactly this means? I've tried saving in-game, then going back to the menu with the controller shortcut, but I lost my progress anyway. Did I miss a step?
That should be all that is needed. When you pull up the menu it needs to be in the directory listing. If you had previously hit START to go adjust a setting then close the menu when you pull it back up your save will not be dumped. I forget if you return to the directory, close the menu and open it again, if this resolves it or not. It is frigidity and why it isn't my primary option.

To be sure it dumped you will see a little cart icon spin in the corner when the menu opens. You can also turn on a setting in the menu somewhere that will prompt and ask a yes/no if you want to dump the save if you want to be extra sure.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
To be sure it dumped you will see a little cart icon spin in the corner when the menu opens. You can also turn on a setting in the menu somewhere that will prompt and ask a yes/no if you want to dump the save if you want to be extra sure.

Hey, thanks. I thought I was doing this, but know I know to look for the icon or the menu prompt. I'll check this out. I found it confusing since I mostly use my unit for my old carts, but wanted to try this for a few specific titles. Thanks a bunch.

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I just bought mine - bought the US colour version as to have a "complete" collection.

Can't wait for it to arrive - any ideas how long it will take considering I'm in the UK?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Super Mario RPG on this delightful little thing, thankfully the battery still kept the saves the whole way!

The IQ is so good, it's ridiculous. I gotta ask folks here: Do you use scanlines?

I use FirebrandX's OCD setup for 5X with the correct aspect ratio and scanlines at maximum level of darkness. However the scanlines aren't quite aligned with the pixels unless I adjust the Vertical Position to 41 instead of 42 and then it's perfect. I think the scanlines, while perhaps a bit to small/sharp at 1080p, are adding something that I never really appreciated before. Every emulators and retro game collections that I played on my B6 OLED mostly had unequal scanlines of all sorts, but this...this is perfect. I tried 720p as some people suggest but I prefer the sharpness that 1080p offers. I never really liked scanlines back then, but this thing got me to change my mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I just finished Super Mario RPG on this delightful little thing, thankfully the battery still kept the saves the whole way!

The IQ is so good, it's ridiculous. I gotta ask folks here: Do you use scanlines?

I use FirebrandX's OCD setup for 5X with the correct aspect ratio and scanlines at maximum level of darkness. However the scanlines aren't quite aligned with the pixels unless I adjust the Vertical Position to 41 instead of 42 and then it's perfect. I think the scanlines, while perhaps a bit to small/sharp at 1080p, are adding something that I never really appreciated before. Every emulators and retro game collections that I played on my B6 OLED mostly had unequal scanlines of all sorts, but this...this is perfect. I tried 720p as some people suggest but I prefer the sharpness that 1080p offers. I never really liked scanlines back then, but this thing got me to change my mind.

Would you post those settings for 1080p?
I'd like to add them to the OP (and try them too ;)

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The 5x setting of 1462x1200 (although because of a scaling quirk a vertical position of 40 is dead center, not 42) are already in your OP under original aspect ratio in the video settings and are the same as what the Super NT labels as 4:3 for 16:9 on the console.

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
The 5x setting of 1462x1200 (although because of a scaling quirk a vertical position of 40 is dead center, not 42) are already in your OP under original aspect ratio in the video settings and are the same as what the Super NT labels as 4:3 for 16:9 on the console.
I tired those settings out and while it does alter the way it looks, I do recall that without a slightly soft edge, they're a tad too sharp for my liking (and it's nuts how big games look when they fill the screen).
I really hope Kevtris is still working on the issue and any other visual options.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here goes.

6385dE3.png

Like I said, I turn the Vertical Postion to 41 for perfect scanlines.

Deleted member 5956

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tired those settings out and while it does alter the way it looks, I do recall that without a slightly soft edge, they're a tad too sharp for my liking (and it's nuts how big games look when they fill the screen).
I really hope Kevtris is still working on the issue and any other visual options.

you should have interpolation enabled on the horizontal with these settings which softens things up a little.

yeah the scaler and the way scanlines are calculated and presented as an overlay over whatever the image is doing needs a complete rethink imho, they dont even position themselves correctly on 720p if you look closely and compare to how emulators handle them.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the conf.
And, was that taken with a capture unit?

Nope, it's a screenshot I took with my phone while watching FirebrandX's video, all credits to him. It was my trick to avoid having to search that specific part of the video each time I change the firmware. :P

you should have interpolation enabled on the horizontal with these settings which softens things up a little.

Yep, very important, too, or else your pixels will be uneven.

Deleted member 5956

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, I turn the Vertical Postion to 41 for perfect scanlines.

This odd scaler behaviour really shows how the unscanned lines don't sit correctly on screen and where they display relative the the graphics can alter depending on the height and vertical position of the image which shouldn't happen.

The vertical position of 42 in FBX's settings shows just how broken they are, and even at a setting of 40 (that I use for a perfectly central image) or 41 they still sit between the pixels, bleeding through into areas that they shouldn't. This is also true of 720p too even though the unscanned line thickness looks better and the incorrect positioning is harder to notice due to the scaling done by your hdtv.

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

yeah the scaler and the way scanlines are calculated and presented as an overlay over whatever the image is doing needs a complete rethink imho, they dont even position themselves correctly on 720p if you look closely and compare to how emulators handle them.
On 720p, I have h-interpolation disabled with the horizontal pixels set to 719 and it looks good.
On 1080p, it looks better with it enabled, and the (h?v?) position at 41.
For scanlines, I set it to 65 (normal) as that looks close to the thickness of the main CRT I use (other CRTs I have are either thicker or borderline unnoticeable).

Nope, it's a screenshot I took with my phone while watching FirebrandX's video, all credits to him. It was my trick to avoid having to search that specific part of the video each time I change the firmware. :P
Good trick! :D

This odd scaler behaviour really shows how the unscanned lines don't sit correctly on screen and where they display relative the the graphics can alter depending on the height and vertical position of the image which shouldn't happen.

The vertical position of 42 in FBX's settings shows just how broken they are, and even at a setting of 40 (that I use for a perfectly central image) or 41 they still sit between the pixels, bleeding through into areas that they shouldn't. This is also true of 720p too even though the unscanned line thickness looks better and the incorrect positioning is harder to notice due to the scaling done by your hdtv.
I wonder what Kevtris' choice for these methods were. It's probably important to be able to tweak stuff line by line, but I don't really get why.
All I know if my TV's scaler is great for speed but I'm not sure how it really handles upscaling.

Deleted member 5956

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On 1080p, it looks better with it enabled, and the (h?v?) position at 41.

You want a vertical position of 40 at 5x settings with 1080p, this not only gives you a perfectly centered image (confirmed with 240p test suite and taking the missing top row of pixels into account) but makes the scanline bleed into the neighbouring pixels by the least amount possible.

Deleted member 47092

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
It's meant to arrive on Monday which is amazing to me. Might have to ask to work from home just to make sure I can smash it out when it does arrive.

Deleted member 47092

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
It arrived today - absolutely love the thing.

Really glad I got the US colours - I had a control pad I picked up to match.

Feels really premium, the console itself has a nice heft to it.

I will say that it has been hit and miss with the games that I already do have - that's certainly because of the quality of carts rather than the console itself. Once it does start, just looks flawless.

Love it - really love it so far.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It arrived today - absolutely love the thing.

Really glad I got the US colours - I had a control pad I picked up to match.

Feels really premium, the console itself has a nice heft to it.

I will say that it has been hit and miss with the games that I already do have - that's certainly because of the quality of carts rather than the console itself. Once it does start, just looks flawless.

Love it - really love it so far.
Nice, have fun. I have mine in the OG PAL theme, I prefer it over the purple theme.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Just ordered one!! I grabbed a few titles at my local enthusiast shop (Mega Man X, Super Castlevania, Mario All Stars, LttP)

For games that are extremely hard to obtain what are my best options? It has some sort of emulator ability? I feel like emulating would kind of defeat the purpose to a degree? Or is the emulation more or less the equivalent to actually having the cartridge from a gameplay perspective since it's on actual hardware?

Anything I should know?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered one!! I grabbed a few titles at my local enthusiast shop (Mega Man X, Super Castlevania, Mario All Stars, LttP)

For games that are extremely hard to obtain what are my best options? It has some sort of emulator ability? I feel like emulating would kind of defeat the purpose to a degree? Or is the emulation more or less the equivalent to actually having the cartridge from a gameplay perspective since it's on actual hardware?

Anything I should know?
Jailbreak firmware or sd2snes is your friend. ;)

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

Anything I should know?
If you jailbreak, you can run most ROMs. It's no different than playing off a cart. This is of course for games that don't have special chips.
If you get an SD2SNES, you can almost every game for SNES and then some.
Carts are nice but some are absurdly expensive.
No matter how you choose to play, the Super NT is very nice and a great way to play SNES games today.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
If you jailbreak, you can run most ROMs. It's no different than playing off a cart. This is of course for games that don't have special chips.
If you get an SD2SNES, you can almost every game for SNES and then some.
Carts are nice but some are absurdly expensive.
No matter how you choose to play, the Super NT is very nice and a great way to play SNES games today.
Jailbreak firmware or sd2snes is your friend. ;)

I'm so excited!!!

Which one is the best way?

Based on a quick google the sd2 it's a proprietary SD card? That just goes into the console itself? Loaded with whatever obviously.

What is the "and then some" you are referring too? Can it plan NES games as well?

That is amazing that it's the same as playing on cart. Does that also mean I can do stuff like play FFIV and V with an English translation? Obviously Crono Trigger and Earthbound are basically impossible to obtain from what I hear so those are obvious candidates.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited!!!

Based on a quick google the sd2 it's a proprietary SD card? That just goes into the console itself? Loaded with whatever obviously.

What is the "and then some" you are referring too? Can it plan NES games as well?

That is amazing that it's the same as playing on cart. Does that also mean I can do stuff like play FFIV and V with an English translation? Obviously Crono Trigger and Earthbound are basically impossible to obtain from what I hear so those are obvious candidates.
Jailbreak is free, and you just use the SD card for your games. So there's that. The SD2SNES isn't cheap, but can also be used on original hardware snes as well as the super NT (and other clone snes systems). The SD2SNES, as mentioned, has a more options along with that price tag that the Super NT jailbreak doesn't.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Jailbreak is free, and you just use the SD card for your games. So there's that. The SD2SNES isn't cheap, but can also be used on original hardware snes as well as the super NT (and other clone snes systems). The SD2SNES, as mentioned, has a more options along with that price tag that the Super NT jailbreak doesn't.

Oh I see it now, it's an actual cart that you out an SD in clever! That is pretty expensive though. More than the console itself? $100 sure I get that but $200?

Might be worth it down the road.

How difficult is the Jailbreak?

Side point, how are the 8bitos? I saw someone in the SNES thread complaining about some diagonal inputs being hit on accident. What do you guys think?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see it now, it's an actual cart that you out an SD in clever! That is pretty expensive though. More than the console itself? $100 sure I get that but $200?

Might be worth it down the road.

How difficult is the Jailbreak?
It's about as easy as easy can get IMO. You get the firmware, put it on sd card. Insert sd card in super nt, turn it on, and give it a couple mins to flash, done.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah wow that's like r4 easy.

Edited after your reply but how do you like the 8bito if you have one?
Haven't had any issues with it. Well, I take that back. I had to put some tape inside to fix the inadvertent diagonals registering. There's some pics and vids on how to manage it. It's pretty simple really. Otherwise, I am rather close to my console/display when doing captures and regular playing so I'm usually using the OG wired controller.

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I'm so excited!!!

Sd2SNES also plays the FMV and expanded audio mods for games... what's that called, MSU? MVU?
And it'll also play some of the Super FX games and many other additional add-on chips game makers used. So while SD2SNES costs more, you'll likely never buy another game pack again.
Jailbreak is a nice free option for most (especially after ripping your carts).

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Sd2SNES also plays the FMV and expanded audio mods for games... what's that called, MSU? MVU?
And it'll also play some of the Super FX games and many other additional add-on chips game makers used. So while SD2SNES costs more, you'll likely never buy another game pack again.
Jailbreak is a nice free option for most (especially after ripping your carts).

Which big ticket games are rocking Super FX?

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks!

Got it, so just standard emulation of those things may not run perfectly or at all because of the extra hardware required?
They won't run at all because the Super Nt only pretends to be a SNES console, not any of the extra chips that were present inside some carts.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Right now there are only 3 expansion chips not supported by the SD2SNES and they are only used for a small handful of Japanese titles. Two of the three chips are used exclusively for two Shogi titles.

Far East of Eden Zero (Tengai Makyou Zero) SPC7110
Momotaro Dentetsu Happy SPC7110
Super Power League 4 SPC7110
Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi ST011
Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi 2 ST018

The only game on that list I wish was supported is Far East of Eden Zero, which is a great RPG that has an english translation available. But it uses a special chip because the game schedules events around a real time clock. It would be great to be able to play the English translation on my Super NT but alas

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm patching some roms. I see Terranigma has an NTSC patch. Do I need this, or does Super NT automatically make adjustments so it runs at the proper speed?

OverHeatQc

Nov 5, 2018
Well decided to jump in and ordered a Super NT this Friday. How long did it take for you guys for the system to arrived?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh,, was hoping this bump would have been about scanlines finally being fixed since they're now fixed in the Mega Sg.

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of a bump. No news on the digital to analog converter either, I take it?
Full on vaporware, or good marketing if you will, at this point. My personal opinion; no facts to back that up.

Seriously, man. That DAC is a white whale at this point. I'm Kevtris isn't lying that it exists. But Analogue probably doesn't want to release it until they can figure out how to maximize their profit on it.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Even though people seem to use the shipping thread more than the OT I figured this was worth posting here (thanks TSM):
v4.8 notes:

- Added DAC compatibility (required for DAC)
- Added user font loading
- Added RGB sliders for standby color
- Added SPC player
- Fixed top missing scanline bug
- Added new scanline system
- L/R audio input bug fix
- Fixed "you cannot use a mouse with this game" on Panic Bomber World
- Fixed Star Wars pausing bug
- Many small fixes and changes

Last edited: