• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Been thinking,while I do prefer Eggman as the second Sonic rep,I do think Shadow works and would be more so similar to Isabelle,taking aspects from Sonic but still being orginal.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He needs a ton of unique moves to feel like Shadow, especially stuff like Chaos Spear and Chaos Control but yeah, he'd obviously use Sonic as a base and probably just copy 1/1 a small handful of his moves like the Homing Attack.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
One Sonic has already brought forth enough suffering with that moveset. Two would be a nightmare

Give me Eggman

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I'd want tails, but I understand Eggman and Shadow being more wanting.
Still a lifer for niche character's who'd never get int (Professor Layton, Cooking Mama, and Ayumi Tachibana). Also dangerous use of wii remote man.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic getting a second just has a loooot of ways for things to go. Rivals, villain, sidekick/player 2, heroine... Feels like something that'll almost certainly happen at some point, but exactly how is very up in the air.

The underdog newcomers are definitely the most appealing compared to the more guessable ones like "another Sonic character" though. Glad Layton in particular suddenly has a future ahead of him again so he feels like he's back on the table compared to how he was while Ultimate was going. Hopefully we get some more surprise revivals like that.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow's most defining features are his bike and gun so he should either be a Wario echo or a Joker echo.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Shadow Hearts trilogy + Koudelka remasters on Switch so we can get Yuri the Godslayer in Smash plz

Used to think Tails would be the next Sonic character but more and more I'm feeling like it'll be Shadow, especially with all the recent spotlight he's been receiving.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I think if we were back in the post Brawl days, it would have been Tails.

But I think momentum has shifted to Shadow and Eggman. Shadow had an assist trophy, and Eggman got a boost from multiple playable villains. Demand starting shifting to them both.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Whoever the second Sonic character would be -- and I should mention I'm in Eggman's corner -- I just hope they provide an opportunity to beef up the music repertoire.

I know about the Genesis-era red tape and I get the impression Sega isn't too keen on remixes for whatever reason, but while Sonic's hardly the only guest IP to face licensing issues, as it stands the song selection simply doesn't do the series justice and doesn't reflect its spectacular audio at large.

While I don't care for both songs, the approach they took for the Sonic Forces tracks may be the right idea in repping both a vocal theme and a level track. Also, Chemical Plant Zone, pretty please?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Despite my avatar, let me make it clear my choice for the second Sonic character is, as always, Eggman.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I'd want tails, but I understand Eggman and Shadow being more wanting.
Still a lifer for niche character's who'd never get int (Professor Layton, Cooking Mama, and Ayumi Tachibana). Also dangerous use of wii remote man.
I feel like Ayumi's at least a league above "niche" now. She's localized. She's got that not-Mother 3 energy going on. Believe.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I feel like Ayumi's at least a league above "niche" now. She's localized. She's got that not-Mother 3 energy going on. Believe.
Yes but she's also a generic high school girl who never fights. I love her I kind of fell in love with her playing the translation of Famicom Detective Club 2 on super famicom but I'd be silly to believe she'd ever really get it, but I sure can hope. I imagine the cliff from FCD2 as her stage or maybe the high school with the mirror maybe being a breakable element, I don't know. I also figure she'd kind of play like Phoenix in MVC3, using a variety of projectiles and building up a clue metre that allows her to attack more.
Honestly evne less likely but I'd love Sakura Shinguji from Sakura Wars

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sakura Wars is still an active series, moreso than most if you count live performances, so I'd say she's got a fair chance. It's just another one of those "problems" where there's too many good options for fun-to-play characters from a company, and we're probably not gonna get them all at once.

For Ayumi, moveset-wise, I don't think "never fights" is a big detriment to anyone considering some of the characters we've gotten over the series. For the stage though, I always imagined it would be a sort of traveling stage that moves from area to area using the game's UI. Either with an unseen player just going through menus and interacting with stuff, or by letting the fighters themselves hit options on the menu to change or interact with locations and characters. I hadn't really considered the cliff as a possible location before, but I guess there's one in FDC2 and the first game, so it feels like at least one of 'em's a fair choice for the gimmick. Not to mention just being an obvious place to KO someone. Dunno how well it would work on its own though since, yeah, the school or office would probably be more distinct if we only got the one location and no fancy gimmick.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
Thinking more about possible Sonic characters, what about Knuckles?
He is an assist trophy (same as Shadow) is roughly as popular as Shadow, an older character than Shadow, and could potentially be more unique of an echo fighter. Plus it could lead to semi-free advertising for a theoretical Super Smash Bros Ultimate & Knuckles (Featuring New Funky Mode)

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
I actually thought of Knuckles being a potentially fun character after seeing the Assist Trophy.

Sonic has plenty of good options for a second rep, it's just a matter of when they'll pick one.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I like Knuckles but I can't picture a scenario where he gets picked over Eggman, Tails or Shadow.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Knuckles does have something extremely powerful, cool, and iconic that no one else in the cast can even brush up against.

Lock-On_Technology.png

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i have now finished the fallout tv series and actually slept on it so the details could sink in

and I think it would still be very funny if Vault Boy/Dweller got to be in before a TES character

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
i have now finished the fallout tv series and actually slept on it so the details could sink in

and I think it would still be very funny if Vault Boy/Dweller got to be in before a TES character
I just don't see what a TES cahracter could offer in Smash, especially with how long ago Skyrim was. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see any character being particuarly recognisable which is important for a game like smash, and I just don't see what gameplay they could offer that isn't offered by other swordies, or by Robin. Vaultboy at least has the cartoon look that would make him both stand out and oculd maybe factor into gameplay in a kind of Duck Hunt Duo way.
Still, I don't see future smash games being particuarly license heavy, or at elast as heavy as Ultimate.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When we get more concrete details about the next Elder Scrolls game in like... 2027, the hype will start to reawaken old fans, now nostalgic for one of the biggest games of all time. Doubly so if we do get that Oblivion remake.

Only question is whether the "road to Elder Scrolls 6" and "the next Smash DLC cycle" align, because if they do, you better believe Microsoft will be lobbying for it.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still see Skyrim memes and discussion on non-gaming related social media, as well as an obscene amount of merchandise I can only assume is selling since they keep making more, so it's had... a lot of staying power. Not to mention things like Online still being popular and so on. Being released on every platform ever really does something for longevity in the public concious.

I just don't see what a TES cahracter could offer in Smash, especially with how long ago Skyrim was. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see any character being particuarly recognisable which is important for a game like smash, and I just don't see what gameplay they could offer that isn't offered by other swordies, or by Robin. Vaultboy at least has the cartoon look that would make him both stand out and oculd maybe factor into gameplay in a kind of Duck Hunt Duo way.
Still, I don't see future smash games being particuarly license heavy, or at elast as heavy as Ultimate.

The full breadth of a TES character's abilities still offers plenty of potential unique stuff for Smash. Sword and sorcery are the basics, but there's some unique items, transformations, alchemy, enchanting, and whatnot. A silly gimmick using artifacts working in tandem off the top of my head could be having a relatively weak character you power up via enchantments. Summon with Sanguine Rose, soul trap on Umbra with Azura's Star, and then enchant for different temporary effects. Getting a KO with Umbra allowing you to do a special, stronger enchantment. Lots of silly little gimmicks like that if they wanted to. Though just having skills get stronger as you level them up over the match is probably a simpler, true-to-the-game gimmick.

For Fallout in particular, I kind of go back and forth on whether or not Vault Boy would actually be the ideal scenario. I like the idea of Vault Boy and Mario together, but having the drastic disparity between characters like Simon and Snake standing next to Jigglypuff and Ness is also really fun. More than likely they could use most of the same abilities anyway too, since Vault Boy's main purpose in the series is depicting what the player can do. Either way, they can cover most of the series by just swapping numbers around, but Vault Boy would have a little more fun with it by changing the art style up a bit, like the "old paper" illustrations from 1/2 or the phosphor glow-y outlines from later games alongside the regular animated look.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I mean... If Banjo can not be relevant for longer and have way less sales than Skyrim, I can't see why relevancy would be an issue here.
That is true, I mean I think it's somewhat silly that Banjo is in, I guess I just feel more like the Dragonborn's design doesn't really stand out in a game like smash where characters need to be easily readable, and I am unsure how alt costumes would work with the colour mechanics of the games (From what I played of skyrim, most of the armour colours seem to be brown, grey, and silver). I'm not saying he wouldn't work, just that all things considered I don't think Dragonborn is the best pick. I also would argue the same for Kazuya and Snake.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For a TES hero, I honestly imagine them going hard on alt costumes. Dovahkiin is probably the "face," bar TES6's hype cycle suddenly starting, but including alts of other races like dunmer and, ideally, Khajiit and Argonian would really set it apart and put more of TES's unique identity into Smash. Even if the moveset was pretty barebones, simply having another character with magic feels like it'd help a lot considering how many spirit battles used Robin to represent a magic using character just because there weren't more choices available.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... If Banjo can not be relevant for longer and have way less sales than Skyrim, I can't see why relevancy would be an issue here.

Characters like Banjo and K. Rool will always be the exception due to them ranking high on the Smash Ballot, that's pretty much all there is to it lol. Wouldn't say Skyrim is "irrelevant" but yeah.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Characters like Banjo and K. Rool will always be the exception due to them ranking high on the Smash Ballot, that's pretty much all there is to it lol. Wouldn't say Skyrim is "irrelevant" but yeah.

But Sakurai said during the second to last Mii Costume wave that Dragon born was in the group of high request characters.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
But Sakurai said during the second to last Mii Costume wave that Dragon born was in the group of high request characters.

Sounds like there were a few tiers to the ballot results where Banjo + Sora and others who became playable were at the very top, Dante + Dovahkin and others who got Mii costumes were a step lower, then those who became Assist Trophies on a similar level, etc

Isaac I've suspected was on the edge of playable, maybe even one of the next ones after PP; not only did he get an overhauled Assist Trophy and Mii costume but Golden Sun got the most Spirits of any non playable franchise outside of Rhythm Heaven which… we know the history there

Skull Kid I think may have been close too given just how long it took for his AT to be revealed. That to me shows they knew he was a popular pick and wanted to keep up some suspense on his appearance

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The three tiers:
The most popular: ended up getting into Smash as priority DLC
The second most popular: Being kept in reserve for the next Smash.
The third most popular: Thrown a bone with Mii costumes.

Characters like Haruka Amami and Reimu are in that second tier which is why we didn't get any content for them.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The three tiers:
The most popular: ended up getting into Smash as priority DLC
The second most popular: Being kept in reserve for the next Smash.
The third most popular: Thrown a bone with Mii costumes.

Characters like Haruka Amami and Reimu are in that second tier which is why we didn't get any content for them.

The second tier doesn't exist. It's *at best* a 4th tier where they weren't worth the effort . Of the newcomers/represented series in smash ultimate, Chrom, Daisy, Tekken, Monster hunter, Isabelle, K. Rool, a inkling , had mii costumes, and Dark samus/Ridley were in 4 in other contexts.

Every first party inclusion in ultimate, with the exception I think of piranha plant, either didn't exist at the time of smash 4 or was already in 4 in some not quite playable context.

The most likely newcomers are those in the pool of already represented in the game in some form, because Nintendo already recognised the value of those characters and has a working relationship with the companies.

Those characters aren't anywhere even close to in the running no matter how much you try and meme it in to existence.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, everyone is aware that iconic series like Castlevania, King of Fighters, Dragon Quest, Minecraft, and Persona, did not exist during Smash 4 or that no one liked them so they weren't worth considering for any content at all, and also that memes and jokes are forbidden while discussing a series potential new content that literally has no publicly announced upcoming game at all.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
Yes, everyone is aware that iconic series like Castlevania, King of Fighters, Dragon Quest, Minecraft, and Persona, did not exist during Smash 4 or that no one liked them so they weren't worth considering for any content at all, and also that memes and jokes are forbidden while discussing a series potential new content that literally has no publicly announced upcoming game at all.
Do you ever wonder if Hero was added due to all the jokes about Goku for smash? Slime seems like more of a smash style fighter and Hero is a more Goku like design from Akira Toriyama

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. The Goku requests are probably just noise at this point, like the ones for Marvel heroes, SpongeBob, or Segata Sanshiro. They also sure as heck didn't go away because of Hero joining.

The idea of Slime being considered the best choice in ye olde discussions feels, in retrospect, like it was just because of the Smash Bubble's self-imposed and ill-defined "rules" making Hero feel like too much to ask of SE since they historically don't use them often in their own crossovers and SE is often treated as a monolithic entity that is just difficult or expensive to work with at every step.

Including the actual main character is almost always ideal over a mascot, unless that mascot is like... the de facto face of the series/company more than any other character. Slime is popular and recognizable, but Jack Frost , having a statue of him alongside Sonic at SEGA HQ, has more claim to being a better pick over a protagonist than Slime does. Slime is more like... Chocobo. It's also why the line between a Vault Dweller or Vault Boy being the ideal pick feels very blurry, because boy howdy is that Boy everywhere while the actual protagonists are basically faceless... but everything important about Fallout is in the setting's "real" world, not the animated one.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I feel like Slime is the one non-Pokémon instance of mascots being potential frontrunners since we know that the devs were at least keeping them as a back-up choice in case Square Enix said no to the main protagonists. Obviously, we know Sakurai wanted the Hero and got the Hero(es), but the man was prepared to put the Slime in just so Dragon Quest could have something.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, for sure. I'm not gonna put down Slime or anything, they're probably one of the most iconic enemies ever, and a fair choice in general. They just don't quite have the weight of the actual Heroes, so it makes sense Sakurai was aiming for them first.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
Not really. The Goku requests are probably just noise at this point, like the ones for Marvel heroes, SpongeBob, or Segata Sanshiro. They also sure as heck didn't go away because of Hero joining.

The idea of Slime being considered the best choice in ye olde discussions feels, in retrospect, like it was just because of the Smash Bubble's self-imposed and ill-defined "rules" making Hero feel like too much to ask of SE since they historically don't use them often in their own crossovers and SE is often treated as a monolithic entity that is just difficult or expensive to work with at every step.

Including the actual main character is almost always ideal over a mascot, unless that mascot is like... the de facto face of the series/company more than any other character. Slime is popular and recognizable, but Jack Frost , having a statue of him alongside Sonic at SEGA HQ, has more claim to being a better pick over a protagonist than Slime does. Slime is more like... Chocobo. It's also why the line between a Vault Dweller or Vault Boy being the ideal pick feels very blurry, because boy howdy is that Boy everywhere while the actual protagonists are basically faceless... but everything important about Fallout is in the setting's "real" world, not the animated one.

This does make a lot of sense, thank you. I have always noticed that protagonists for better or for worse are always the first included characters from a series which is kind of cool but to an extent it can be somewhat frustrating with some non-protags potentially having more interesting gameplay (I would consider Jack Frost as an example of this, slime somewhere in the middle as the use of Hero having a spell menu is fucking brilliant). Do you think that this is maybe in part why Chorus Kids didn't get in (other than obviously the time passing making RH kind of no longer relevant)? They're only the mascot of one of the minigames in Rhythm Heaven.
As an aside, I once read a pitch years ago for a Final Fantasy character who was the Warriors of Light from the NES (party of Warrior, Theif, Black Mage, White Mage) with each attack swapping whose "turn" it was (i.e. what character model was out and it would affect stats) which is kind of cool but also Cloud is the more obvious FF pick and I don't see the team really making that kind of bizarre turn based idea work as they'd basically have to do the work for 4 characters and sell it as one via DLC.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the rumors were true about them being almost in For, I gotta assume just having three animated characters (and up to 8 players using them at once) alongside rhythm-based gameplay was just very difficult from a design and hardware perspective. I'm not even sure if Rhythm Heaven not having a game during the Switch era was an especially big problem compared to the unique technical ones, so I'm just not gonna give up hope on the little guys. Though it's only been for first party characters so far, I actually do kind of hope characters like Min Min and Pythra are opening the door for a little flexibility in future newcomers not necessarily being the "default" one if someone more interesting was also on the table. Though Robin kind of did that too, since IIRC the rumor was Chrom was the default pick before deciding Robin was more fun.

The idea of a full FF party as a playable character is cool as hell, but yeah, having four characters at once is probably an even bigger ask than the Chorus Kids due to the insane amount of complexities it would bring. Though hopefully now that Cloud and Sephy are here, if FF does get another character, they do try to be a little creative with it like that. Like, maybe just Bartz or Onion Knight swapping moves around by changing classes could be something...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If the rumors were true about them being almost in For, I gotta assume just having three animated characters (and up to 8 players using them at once) alongside rhythm-based gameplay was just very difficult from a design and hardware perspective. I'm not even sure if Rhythm Heaven not having a game during the Switch era was an especially big problem compared to the unique technical ones, so I'm just not gonna give up hope on the little guys. Though it's only been for first party characters so far, I actually do kind of hope characters like Min Min and Pythra are opening the door for a little flexibility in future newcomers not necessarily being the "default" one if someone more interesting was also on the table. Though Robin kind of did that too, since IIRC the rumor was Chrom was the default pick before deciding Robin was more fun.

The idea of a full FF party as a playable character is cool as hell, but yeah, having four characters at once is probably an even bigger ask than the Chorus Kids due to the insane amount of complexities it would bring. Though hopefully now that Cloud and Sephy are here, if FF does get another character, they do try to be a little creative with it like that. Like, maybe just Bartz or Onion Knight swapping moves around by changing classes could be something...
You could even trace a lot of the issues with regards to gender & ethnic diversity back to Sakurai's rigid thought process when it comes to picking characters. Three Houses in particular could've greatly benefited from the flexibility shown to ARMS & Xenoblade 2's reps, as Edelgard or Claude would've been much much more interesting picks (both for diversity & mechanical uniqueness) compared to Byleth. In fact, I'd go as far as to argue that either of them would've softened the blow of yet another FE character.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
You could even trace a lot of the issues with regards to gender & ethnic diversity back to Sakurai's rigid thought process when it comes to picking characters. Three Houses in particular could've greatly benefited from the flexibility shown to ARMS & Xenoblade 2's reps, as Edelgard or Claude would've been much much more interesting picks (both for diversity & mechanical uniqueness) compared to Byleth. In fact, I'd go as far as to argue that either of them would've softened the blow of yet another FE character.
Yeah Smash needs more than one dark skinned character and it is not good that the one they do have is the king of all evil. Someone like Claude would help with that and it would also give variety in gameplay by adding another zoner to the game. Both of these are why Barret would have been a better pick for a second FF7 rep.
In regards to women, I don't think it's too bad in Smash as if you consider the pokemon and alternate costumes, close to half of the fighters are women, though I would be in favour of a potential Super Smash Sisters spin off for example that could focus on women through out video games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah Smash needs more than one dark skinned character and it is not good that the one they do have is the king of all evil. Someone like Claude would help with that and it would also give variety in gameplay by adding another zoner to the game. Both of these are why Barret would have been a better pick for a second FF7 rep.
In regards to women, I don't think it's too bad in Smash as if you consider the pokemon and alternate costumes, close to half of the fighters are women, though I would be in favour of a potential Super Smash Sisters spin off for example that could focus on women through out video games.
But that's a thing, we shouldn't have to rely on alternate costumes to get an acceptable amount of women. There are so many cool ladies both within & outside of Nintendo who we could get.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Though Byleth as a weapon master is interesting IMO, yes, Fire Emblem's the biggest example of a series that could theoretically see the next newcomer be pulled from among the supporting cast (or deuteragonist) if the main character would basically just be another echo. Which is always a possible thing when FE kind of thrives on reusing archetypes from game to game. If there was a Claude 2 or Edel 2, I would probably hope for them to get picked over a Byleth 2 or Marth 5.

The big thing I'm interested in seeing next time is if even one RPG or Fighting Game character from a third party forgoes its default swordie or posterboy punchman in favor of another deuteragonist like Robin or someone similarly popular solely in the interest of a more unique looking/playing choice. Like, I expect Kyo to be our KOF guy because he's the KOF guy and somehow didn't even get a Mii costume, but Iori is cooler and Sakurai does like him more... and while Akira is very unique among fighting game leads in spite of his "guy in a gi" design, it'd still be interesting to see, like, Jeffry or Lau Chan as someone who doesn't look like anyone else on the roster on top of their unique movesets.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
But that's a thing, we shouldn't have to rely on alternate costumes to get an acceptable amount of women. There are so many cool ladies both within & outside of Nintendo who we could get.
Oh I agree and there should be more women (and I think it's stupid that Hero didn't have a girl alt for the DQ3 protag), but I just mean to say that if you wish to play as a woman in smash you have options. I mean even from solely nintendo there are cool options like Captain Syrup or Birdo or literally any female fire emblem character other than Lucina, but outside of that there's so many cool women in fighting games (to an extent I feel Sakura should have been Ryu's echo instead of ken just due to how boring Ken is as a character), someone like Sabre from Fate would be awesome, on the more obscure side you have all the Touhou girls and characters like Shantae. Smash should do better and I feel with Ultimate already being Ultimate a real smash 6 has the chance of doing better, but I just kind of don't expect it at this point.