• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Actually, after thinking about it, the only characters I dislike are Pit, Dark Pit, and Diddy (his Smash version, mostly personal). The other characters I'd probably turn off are Mario, Dr. Mario, Wario, Lucario, and Falco.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Well, to be fair, Dixie isn't notable in the Mario series like Diddy is and Sakurai kinda considers DK to be a part of Mario. If anything, she would be a spinoff character. I find it very hypocritical when people say Mario Sports are filler yet DKC is underrepped.

I'm going to be optimistic and say that Sakurai will treat DK with more respect this time around. The original DKCR was a great step up from the hell the series went through in the 2000s but it was too much of a retread of the original DKCs what with the music being almost all remixes and a lot of the levels being "remember these from the originals? Well now they look a lot better!" (Except not really because lol the Wii) It had tight gameplay and sold a lot but it wasn't enough to truly separate DK into it's own thing again.

With TF being literally one of Nintendo's best games on the Wii U with a beloved original musical score, more unique premise and bringing previously underutilised characters back into prominence, I hope that Sakurai takes notice and begins to drift away from DK being simply a subset of Mario. I mean, DK was mostly associated with Mario in the 2000s due to DK's best outings in that time being Mario Vs. Donkey Kong and the Mario Kart series. With MK8 bringing in Zelda, Splatoon and Animal Crossing, DK no longer holds the sole guest series honour in Mario Kart.

Of course the other sports games are a different story but if we take what Sakurai considers to be relevant then the sports titles may as well not exist. They have no representation from stages, to music to well, playable characters! It's like how I feel about the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario series' except with even less to tide you by. I guess Waluigi holding a Tennis Racket acts as the sole instance of Mario Sports titles being shown any love which is both hilarious and sad.

We all know that DK is it's own thing while Mario Spin offs are often left to the wayside in Smash. Dixie has a much better chance, especially because she's not a regular in said spin offs so it makes no sense to treat her as part of it.

And, no I don't care that I wrote a super long reply to a fishing post - I just love talking about Smash!

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well to be fair, Mario Kart got quite a bit of representation in Smash. However, Mario Party got a grand total of nothing....well I think it was kind of because a lot of these titles are mainly retreads of the main locations of Mario and characters, or generic locations (Mario Sports Superstars I am looking at you!!!!!!!!). The gameplay twist of these games and the appeal mainly come from the characters, which is why I think if they were to be represented, it would be through a character and not a stage. I agree that there needs to be more music from said games. Thankfully Mario Tennis Aces has more original locations and a more original concept to draw from. And Paper Mario got a stage in Smash 4.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was it's own thing, and I am looking forward to playing that. But I feel like Tropical Freeze would be better represented as a stage and music instead of Dixie. Because in that game, Dixie is very similar to Diddy, and is a side character. Also, didn't they give Dixie a popgun in that game which is identical to Diddy's in function?

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I still think Bayonetta is the one character who's proportions & character model looks so off compared to everyone else that it's actually a little distracting. That's the only reason i'd be somewhat fine with her being cut. I don't give a shit about tier lists. I use whoever I like regardless of there ranking.

That said, i've never had any experience with the Bayonetta series so I don't have any affection for it one way or another.

Mario is just a Donkey Kong spinoff anyway.

Thank you. When are people gonna learn. SMH

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Bayonetta is the one character who's proportions & character model looks so off compared to everyone else that it's actually a little distracting. That's the only reason i'd be somewhat fine with her being cut. I don't give a shit about tier lists. I use whoever I like regardless of there ranking.

That said, i've never had any experience with the Bayonetta series so I don't have any affection for it one way or another.

Bayonetta's based off fashion sketches, so she's proportioned to be very tall and thin - the idea of the sketches are to show off the clothes rather than the person underneath them. I haven't played much of 2, but I feel like her animations in 1 ended up looking very silly as a result; she takes huge strides with these gigantic legs and it ends up feeling like she's a spider. But Bayonetta is an extremely and unashamedly campy game, and I feel like that adds to the goofiness of it.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Bayonetta's based off fashion sketches, so she's proportioned to be very tall and thin - the idea of the sketches are to show off the clothes rather than the person underneath them. I haven't played much of 2, but I feel like her animations in 1 ended up looking very silly as a result; she takes huge strides with these gigantic legs and it ends up feeling like she's a spider. But Bayonetta is an extremely and unashamedly campy game, and I feel like that adds to the goofiness of it.
Her Smash model even has improved proportions compared to her own games. I see no issue either way.

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
did people call for Metaknight to be cut from Smash 4?

Why is Bayonetta the only strong character that gets cut requests because she's too strong?

Because:

- "Pay 2 Win"
- Too sexy for my pure Nintendo gaems
- Top Tier
- #NotMyBallotWinner
- More boring humanoids
- X top player says she's "toxic" to the game

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

50%!? I demand a recount

TLDR from the video

Pros
- Very popular, especially in Japan
- Loads of merchandise
- Unique moveset
- Important to the Kirby series, which itself is important to Nintendo
- Japanese Smash fans feel Kirby needs a new character

Cons
- Moveset potential isn't the end all of adding a character, might be seen as just being a spear and nothing more
- Is a Waddle Dee in a hat, and Sakurai might view the character as just being that. He's mentioned how silly it would be to add a Goomba to Smash before.
- Could work in some other manner, like being part of another character or an Assist Trophy
- There's very little post Sakurai Kirby content in Smash

Last edited:

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
I always found it weird that people want Bayonetta cut mostly because of how broken she is. Like why not just ask for further nerfs instead lol? She can definitely be rebalanced for the next title and even a rework isn't out of the question imo.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda dawns on me that if they add Dixie into this game maybe it'll finally force Sakurai to add the actual voices these characters have had for the last decade.

We already have one primate doing high pitched monkey noises, don't need a second one. I don't know why Sakurai is so insistent on keeping them other than being stubborn when their actual voices are so much more distinctive.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Not going to lie, if Sonic/Bayonetta/Cloud got cut I'd be pretty unhappy about it.

All 3 are perfect for Smash and should remain as future veterans

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Kinda dawns on me that if they add Dixie into this game maybe it'll finally force Sakurai to add the actual voices these characters have had for the last decade.

We already have one primate doing high pitched monkey noises, don't need a second one. I don't know why Sakurai is so insistent on keeping them other than being stubborn when their actual voices are so much more distinctive.

I want Dixie a lot but yeah, it kinda sucks knowing that if she's added, her character will likely have considerably less charm than in Tropical Freeze, just like DK and Diddy.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Not going to lie, if Sonic/Bayonetta/Cloud got cut I'd be pretty unhappy about it.

All 3 are perfect for Smash and should remain as future veterans
Bayonetta is the third party character I like the most. Cloud is who I feel is the most fun. Sonic is basically next in both categories (although I will always prefer Knuckles).

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please no cuts. Especially unique ones. As a random main I really enjoy just about everyone and even the lamest clones like Pittoo have their fans out there.

I can get behind this. In their current state they are awful. Too much dev time on three awful movesets.

If they made a Mii character with a moveset based off Wii Sports and Wii Music I might be more open to it.

The miis are basically Smash's custom fighters. Being able to play as characters not distinct enough for their own move sets like Gilgamesh from Tower of Druaga is better than not at all for example. Having a moveset based on specific Mii games kinda ruins the idea of making anyone you want by forcing them into using only something from another game.

Last edited:

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

50%!? I demand a recount

TLDR from the video

Pros
- Very popular, especially in Japan
- Loads of merchandise
- Unique moveset
- Important to the Kirby series, which itself is important to Nintendo
- Japanese Smash fans feel Kirby needs a new character

Cons
- Moveset potential isn't the end all of adding a character, might be seen as just being a spear and nothing more
- Is a Waddle Dee in a hat, and Sakurai might view the character as just being that. He's mentioned how silly it would be to add a Goomba to Smash before.
- Could work in some other manner, like being part of another character or an Assist Trophy
- There's very little post Sakurai Kirby content in Smash

Sounds like the cons overall mean that Bandana Dee's greatest challenge is how Sakurai and the team view the value of that character.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
IntelliHeath is going to be making a new thread about this at some point, but I thought I go ahead and share it with you guys in case you want to go ahead and get started:

Smahs_Poll_Veterans.jpg

Back in the old country, I took a poll to see who everyone's favorite veterans were leading up to the release of Smash 4. IntelliHeath thought it'd be fun to do that again, and I couldn't agree more! So, we're going to see who Era's Top 30 Smash Veterans are. Everything will be timed out so it doubles as a 30 day countdown to Nintendo's Digital Event and the reveal of Super Smash Bros. for Switch.

Rules

• Vote by DMing me (OricWindstar) your top 3 choices.
  • Your 1st choice gets 3 points, 2nd place gets 2 points, and 3rd place gets 1 point.
  • Choices must be submitted by May 12th, 11:59:59 PST
  • Votes are final once you've sent them to me.
  • Feel free to write why you're choosing those characters and, if that character makes it into the finalists, your quote may show up on their reveal post.
  • This isn't just for Smash 4 vets: any cut characters are fair game. Good luck, Pichu mains!
  • Clones count as their own characters, while costume swaps are considered part of the same character. Example: Mario and Dr. Mario / Link and Toon Link would be considered totally separate characters, while Bowser Jr. and all of the Koopalings would fall under the same vote.
  • Transformation characters such as Zelda and Shiek / Samus and Zero Suit Samus are considered different characters, as per SSB4's separation of them. Pokemon Trainer should also be considered a completely separate character from SSB4 Charizard.
  • Consider all factors when voting. How much you like the character in their own games. How much fun they are to play in Smash. And how all of that comes together in the Smash series.
Starting May 13th, we will reveal one character a day started with 30th Place. We'll try to make each reveal a celebration of what makes that character great, from quotes from you guys, to a look back to their biggest gaming claims to fame. Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. Heath and I are looking forward to seeing the results and starting our E3 countdow

Last edited:

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
He can use Dragon Veins

Xander being able to use a one time game mechanic exclusive to Fates doesn't make him a lord. All of the royals can use dragon veins, including any of their children. In fact, their's a DLC item in Fates that allows anybody to activate dragon veins.

Being able to use a rapier also doesn't really make a character a lord. Not every game has it (Genealogy, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Fates), and there are games were other characters can use it (Anyone can use it in Thracia and Shadows of Valentia, and dancers can use it in Mystery of the Emblem, though not New Mystery)

Lord is a specific term that refers to the games protagonists. They are force deployed ( Yes there are exceptions. Blazing Blade only force deploys the one whose story your playing, and I would honestly debate whether Lucina should even be considered one, since all she has is the lord class.), and their deaths result in a game over. Being royalty or nobility doesn't make a character a lord either. By that logic almost all of Genealogy's cast would be "lords". Being the lord class isn't even really a trait, as bizarre as that sounds. Lucina's status is questionable and there are protagonists who aren't of the lord class, specifically Alm, Ike (Granted his promotion in Path of Radiance is lord, but he isn't a lord in Radiant Dawn, his classes are Hero and Vanguard), and Corrin.

As far as I'm concerned the only real exception is Robin. He isn't force deployed, but his death does result in a game over. He's also definitely a protagonist on par with Chrom in terms of plot relevance. I would consider him a lord, others might not.

Donizetty

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
So I saw this game on gamefaqs smash board and thought it would be fun to share here.

You can pick one series currently in Smash and double it's roster, who are your newcomers for that expanded roster. You can pick a series with 1 character and give it a second, or flood the roster with so many Mario or FE characters people will cry.
Xenoblade
- Rex & Pyra

I just need that to be happy

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
IntelliHeath is going to be making a new thread about this at some point, but I thought I go ahead and share it with you guys in case you want to go ahead and get started:

Smash_Character_Poll_BAnner.jpg

Back in the old country, I took a poll to see who everyone's favorite veterans were leading up to the release of Smash 4. IntelliHeath thought it'd be fun to do that again, and I couldn't agree more! So, we're going to see who Era's Top 30 Smash Veterans are. Everything will be timed out so it doubles as a 30 day countdown to Nintendo's Digital Event and the reveal of Super Smash Bros. for Switch.

Rules

• Your 1st choice gets 3 points, 2nd place gets 2 points, and 3rd place gets 1 point.
  • Feel free to write why you're choosing those characters and, if that character makes it into the finalists, your quote may show up on their reveal post.
  • This isn't just for Smash 4 vets: any cut characters are fair game. Good luck, Pichu mains!
  • Clones count as their own characters, while costume swaps are considered part of the same character. Example: Mario and Dr. Mario / Link and Toon Link would be considered totally separate characters, while Bowser Jr. and all of the Koopalings would fall under the same vote.
  • Transformation characters such as Zelda and Shiek / Samus and Zero Suit Samus are considered different characters, as per SSB4's separation of them. Pokemon Trainer should also be considered a completely separate character from SSB4 Charizard.
  • Consider all factors when voting. How much you like the character in their own games. How much fun they are to play in Smash. And how all of that comes together in the Smash series.
Starting May 13th, we will reveal one character a day started with 30th Place. We'll try to make each reveal a celebration of what makes that character great, from quotes from you guys, to a look back to their biggest gaming claims to fame. Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. Heath and I are looking forward to seeing the results and starting our E3 countdow

Alright! Just sent my votes.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
If they had removed broken characters then ones like Fox or Meta Knight wouldn't be in the game anymore. There's a thing called balancing. It's pretty great

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Retro... if you're making a new IP... I hope they had the brains to let Sakurai see it so that character can jump into Smash in some form.

Bayonetta's new look in Bayo 3 should automatically be a lock for Smash.

Samus' new look in Prime 4 should also automatically be a lock for Smash.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I want to share some details on what OricWindstar, kirby_fox and I are going to do with the polls.

Oric is going to focus on the poll for veterans only itself, awhile Kirby_Fox is going to focus on the polls for newcomers itself so we are going to use those voting for our countdown to E3 (Nintendo Spotlight) so y'all should expect Top 30 Veterans countdown starting on May 13th, and Top 17 newcomers countdown starting on May 26th.

Of course, I'm going to provide countdown gifs, like I always did for E3 or Smash Directs so I'm quite excited about this and we really want to make this road trip to E3 more exciting for everyone here whom are huge Smash Bros fans!

GO AND VOTE ALL YOU CAN!

Also I'm going to bump Newcomer poll as well!

Some of you all wanted a poll for our characters, so I made one where you type in all your answers so no one is left behind.

Copied the idea of Reddit, where you choose your top 3 then the votes get weighted (1st gets more weight, then 2nd, then 3rd). And I included the veterans to see if there's anyone we're cutting for sure. At the end I'll tally up all our votes, and then create our roster. Leaving it up until the 10th and I'll start compiling it all afterwards.

You guys vote/share/etc. and I'll do the dirty work after.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Sounds like the cons overall mean that Bandana Dee's greatest challenge is how Sakurai and the team view the value of that character.
One pro I think is missing is B Waddle Dee being able to re-use assets from Kirby. I think this is a very underrated plus for the character.

I'm almost sure this is why he's even playable in Kirby. He reuses Kirby animations in his own games lol

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Someone else from Microsoft being chosen over Banjo would be a huge gut punch to me.

It's not Master Chief who has me worried either, instead it's Steve.
I'd only accept Chief over Banjo in such a scenario.
Steve is up there in my worst case scenario characters, one who I feel is mentioned entirely because the franchise exploded into being huuuuge as opposed to any desire to play as some crummy avatar man that was never designed to be a renowned character.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Not even Minecraft players know he's called Steve and they pay money to immediately reskin him, they'd rather play as a self harming Creeper anyway.
True story.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom

Smahs_Poll_Veterans.jpg

Rules

Alright, I want to share some details on what OricWindstar, kirby_fox and I are going to do with the polls.

Oric is going to focus on the poll for veterans only itself, awhile Kirby_Fox is going to focus on the polls for newcomers itself so we are going to use those voting for our countdown to E3 (Nintendo Spotlight) so y'all should expect Top 30 Veterans countdown starting on May 13th, and Top 17 newcomers countdown starting on May 26th.

Of course, I'm going to provide countdown gifs, like I always did for E3 or Smash Directs so I'm quite excited about this and we really want to make this road trip to E3 more exciting for everyone here whom are huge Smash Bros fans!

GO AND VOTE ALL YOU CAN!

Also I'm going to bump Newcomer poll as well!

Done and Done. Wonder how the results will look this time around.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
what if we got two DK characters but it was Funky Kong and Dixie

and then there were no references to kremlings at all

Oct 25, 2017
Ridley should be playable

Samus returns look is way more likely.

I agree. Prime 4 probably isn't far enough along for an inclusion like that, and Smash's release is much sooner. P4 doesn't even have a trailer yet, so her look in the game hasn't even been revealed. Too soon.
It's more likely that they would use the Returns version. And I'm totally fine with that. Returns Samus looks good.

Though depending on the time frame in which Prime4 releases, I may wish for a DLC skin.

Also Ridley thumbs up as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.