• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whom do you think to become 7th character of Fighter Passes?

• Geno

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • 8th Gen Pokemon

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • Xenoblade 2's Rex and his blade(s)

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Crash

Votes: 40 19.0%
  • Master Chef

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Sora

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Other (like Travis Touchdown, etc)

Votes: 58 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly even as a KH fan I know we'd have gotten KH1 Sora's design in Smash and I'm happy not to have to look at that fashion disaster

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Well between Steve and the idea that Vol 2 Sora was still considered (alongside WiiU Sora? damn they kept trying if so), we can at least confirm, maybe, sorta, that fighter pass 2 isn't just a cheaper outing leaning on easier first party doodads (damn, that was selfishly my own hope).
Sakurai still trying to go all out and Ninty willing to write those more reasonable cheques.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If it makes Sora fans happy, Nintendo absolutely wanted him in Volume 2. The ball wasn't in their court though. In-fact, stepping into Disney's court was too pricy.

Can't say much else, i'm in hot water by saying this much.
You really shouldn't be in too much trouble as you could pretty much guess that was the case from Sakurai's book a couple years ago. If you read between the lines he all but confirmed that was the case for some extremely popular third-party character.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Makes me wonder if Square will get another charcter or will be left to the way side due to them not being able to get Sora. I don't think it's going to be Geno so maybe 2B or Lara Croft?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney thinks that KH is somehow....hotter than FF/DQ/Mario/Pokemon/Zelda and now Minecraft?
lmao

this isn't a knock against you mind you. i'm just baffled. did nintendo ask for mickey mouse cameos or what

Kingdom Hearts games are consistent multi million sellers and sell consoles on their own, but Sora is owned lock and stock by Disney and dealing with them probably just wasn't worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else scared regarding the rest of Fighter's Pass 2 given today's announcement? lol

Just seeing Sakurai say "Nintendo made me do this," has me on edge.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
main6.png
main-qimg-25c817b5ba5ccd52b7f806b04a7852f2-c

Is this alt based on traditional Swedish dress?
Considering Minecraft was originally made in Sweden. . .probably?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I mean if anything I'm just happy to have that bandaid ripped off and also realize it's really... not that disappointing to me to have one of my favorite video game characters not get into Smash. Like wow I'm way more fine than I thought I'd be. Just an "okay. Moving on."

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

If Master Chief doesn't show up as a Mii Fighter on Saturday, I am putting all of my chips on him finishing the fighter pass.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Sora's out
Not too optimistic on Geno's chances
2B would be possible since she's decently popular in Japan
If Square gets a rep (and they may not). I am going to say Lara.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I feel dumb I didn't notice it was Minecraft the moment Mario crashed through the wall, even though I never played Minecraft. Clearly, it was obvious to Minecraft fans.

youtu.be

Sakurai Presents A NEW CHARACTER (Fighter Pass 7) REACTION

Oh boy, it's finally time. Gee, I wonder who it is. Follow everyone on twitter: https://twitter.com/KawlunDram https://twitter.com/8bit_Spazzy https://twitte...

I had actually seen the leak prior to the video so I was expecting Minecraft, but then Mario flew through the wall and I was like, "Wait...what is this? This isn't Minecraft."

And then I saw the Enderman eyes in the background and was like "Oh, yeah, duh. It is Minecraft."

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Shame about Sora. He would've been a blast. Honestly knowing he was considered kinda makes it worse.

Oh well, can't say I ever seriously expected him even if he was one of my biggest hopes. Disney was never going to play ball

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
If nintendo were in serious talks with sqaure/disney they could have a backup square character lined up.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Being honest, i am suprised no one has disconfirmed Crash yet. Seems that would be the big one besides Sora leakers would know about and want to disconfirm

spicynun

Jul 19, 2020
I think the biggest thing about the Steve announcement regarding other characters (besides confirming this pass will have third party characters) is Master Chief's chances.I personally think they have lowered exponentially. Would be pretty weird to have two microsoft characters on one pass but who knows with Nintendo.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Chief's likely dead, no Sora, and MH now seemingly likely as a Capcom rep. Didn't think I'd get BTFO that hard today.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else scared regarding the rest of Fighter's Pass 2 given today's announcement? lol

Just seeing Sakurai say "Nintendo made me do this," has me on edge.
I didn't get that sense at all, since Sakurai reiterated he has the power to say "No."

Minecraft wasn't so much a challenge creatively (in coming up with moves, animation, etc.), but sounds like Steve was a nightmare to implement on the technical level. It may be that part of the reason it took so long to announce and release Steve was due to the amount of work necessary to make the Minecraft mechanics work with the existing stage code.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for the rest of the Nintendo X Microsoft Pass (featuring min min)
Joanna Dark
Ori
Professor Pester
Master Chief

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Pretty sure KH3 outsold XV and whatever the most recent DQ is
I mean it doesn't really matter when you look at it as separate brands. The following are much bigger than KH (which isn't even used by Disney widely).

Kingdom Hearts games are consistent multi million sellers and sell consoles on their own, but Sora is owned lock and stock by Disney and dealing with them probably just wasn't worth it.
Yea i do agree that KH is a big deal, but smash...isn't good enough for them? It's marketing/money for a franchise they hardly use outside of their games anyway, and i just find it funny that Nintendo/sakurai managed to wangle FF/DQ and now minecraft into the party whereas Disney is just...thinking they're too good when Wreck-it ralph and the fortnite crossover is a thing?
It's just baffling to me. Unless i'm missing something here or Nintendo insisted on donald and goofy frolicking around the stage

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
If nintendo were in serious talks with sqaure/disney they could have a backup square character lined up.
If that's the case, i don't think the backup charcter would be Geno. It could be Lara but considering how much eaiser it would get her...honestly. I am undecided but i thinking it may be 2B after all. Considering how signifcant her popularity is in Japan and how compartively easy it would be to get her.

qwgm8fg6sex41.png

Nquoid

Jul 25, 2019
Imagine a world where Master Chief and Doom Guy were negotiated seperately.

4/12 DLC characters owned by one publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.