• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WHO DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE?!

• DANTE

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • MASTER CHIEF

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • SORA

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • CRASH

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • JONESY OR FORTNITE CHARACTER

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • POKEMON

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • XENOBLADE OR OTHER!

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
I do wonder if there's gonna be at least one more "big character" before we start getting Byleth/Terry tier characters, or if Steve and Sephiroth are going to the two headliners of this pass as Hero and Banjo were in FP1.

The Microsoft/Square-Enix combo

Assuming a March reveal for #4, #5's lining up to be an E3 reveal (or... its closest equivalent since I'm guessing big conventions still won't be a thing by June next year)

That'll probably be our last "big character" and is where I think we're most likely to see Crash.

Then again, I was expecting just a couple days ago that #3'd be more niche and it ended up being goddamn Sephiroth so my word ain't much

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW I think the idea of a "Bombshell final character" is totally subjective. Bayonetta was a bombshell for Bayonetta fans. I'm sure Byleth was a bombshell for some Fire Emblem fans. To me, the biggest bombshell character would be Ichiban from Yakuza, but I know a lot of people would disagree. It's hard to find a bombshell character that would be extremely impactful for everyone.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely bad

Exclusionarily bad
Granted, people also thought that the reportedly difficult negotiations for Cloud would translate to Sephiroth being a pipe dream. Hence no one seriously considered him, and so no one was predicting him.

(I don't care about Sora, so I have no horse in this race. Just sayin'.)

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I think the idea of a "Bombshell final character" is totally subjective. Bayonetta was a bombshell for Bayonetta fans. I'm sure Byleth was a bombshell for some Fire Emblem fans. To me, the biggest bombshell character would be Ichiban from Yakuza, but I know a lot of people would disagree. It's hard to find a bombshell character that would be extremely impactful for everyone.
Fire Emblem fans were pissed at Byleth too. lol

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Hope Mondo comes back recharged, thread isn't the same without their perpetual peppy posting.

When people talk about "bombshell" characters they usually mean big mainstream characters like Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Sephiroth in Smash really makes me want more seasons of DLC. Now that unique secondary guests are a thing, the roster feels incomplete in a way that it didn't prior to last night.

No kidding. Sephiroth was pretty great. When I saw Erdrick shown up so I wasn't sure if the newcomer is going to be a character from Square-Enix. When when I saw the boss getting sliced, and I was like it had to be Sephiroth or 2B. I completely freaked out when I realized that it's Sephiroth.

What a trailer! 🔥 🔥

Yeah, those stuffs made me wish that they're not at end of hype ride and just DO Season Pass 3 please! At least, just make until they hit 100 characters and use that as a their biggest milestone ever.

I love the idea that there's an alternate World of Light story where Sephiroth just nukes Galeem and the rest of the cast has to team up to beat Sephiroth

When does the World of Sephiroth DLC story mode happen so we can play through this fabulous scenario?

I would pay good bucks just for Super Smash Bros x Sephiroth story mode. We know Sephiroth is going to wreck everything.

Sephiroth is definitely the odd man out in Ultimate's villains/rivals lineup due to him being the only non-Nintendo character.

Having someone else like Eggman there with him would go a long way in making his inclusion feel more natural.

I wonder if Enderman counted as a villain or not? I meant he didn't get his own moveset but he's there tho?

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
If Sephiroth being in means no Sora, then I'm all up for him.

It might even be the only other character I buy, besides Terry and Banjo

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Sephiroth wasn't my first choice but I'll definitely buy him. He'll be the third dlc character I buy after Banjo and Byleth

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
So...this is a post from the Geno Smashboards topic.

1607706790302.png

Oh dear...

RglPaWW.gif

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It's just literally a Geno fan raging about the Smash 4/Ultimate newcomers lol
OMEGA SALT from a Geno fan bitter that they have wasted their time.
Oof.

And over Geno of all characters. I have absolutely no idea how such a minor character has managed to inspire such absurd extreme fanboy loyalty.

Note: If you're a fan of Geno but have not done something like that, this post is not aimed at you. You're cool.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm being honest, I'm a little relieved that Geno's done. Obviously I would be much happier were he in but, like, it's over and done and I got a concrete answer with another year to go. I don't have to think about him anymore.

Unless his costume doesn't come back with Sephiroth and the whole thing starts over again anyway.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
TBH I think, instead of more DLC fighters, I'd love to see an "Echo Fighters Pass." I feel like there are a lot of extremely similar-to-current-characaters characters they could include. Shadow for Sonic, Ms. Pac-Man for Pac-Man, Dr. Luigi for Dr. Mario, etc.

obviously this pass would need to be like, $10.

Also: keep the Mii Costumes coming. There are plenty of cool things they could do there that they haven't done yet.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If I'm being honest, I'm a little relieved that Geno's done. Obviously I would be much happier were he in but, like, it's over and done and I got a concrete answer with another year to go. I don't have to think about him anymore.

Unless his costume doesn't come back with Sephiroth and the whole thing starts over again anyway.
I don't even want to begin to imagine that scenario.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Bayo was definitely intended to be a bombshell to go out on, though it didn't work out that great in practice for various reasons (dual release with controversial pick Corrin, smash ballot drama, later on game balance/competitive play drama).

With Byleth, I have no clue what they were thinking. Three Houses is one of my favorite games and Byleth is my Ultimate main but it's obvious even to me that making them the final character of pass 1 was a terrible idea. It's surprising how seemingly poorly thought out their release timing was considering how well the rest of the Ultimate DLC was handled.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm just glad I already got K. Rool and Banjo a long time ago. I can gripe about the recent DLC not appealing to me much but I at least acknowledge Sakurai already catered to me.

There's a timeline where I didn't get them and my posts would look different. 🙃

You may have missed it because you aren't always super active in these threads but Mondo came out as genderfluid.

Oops, thanks for the heads up.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad I already got K. Rool and Banjo a long time ago. I can gripe about the recent DLC not appealing to me much but I at least acknowledge Sakurai already catered to me.

There's a timeline where I didn't get them and my posts would look different. 🙃

Oops, thanks for the heads up.
There's a timeline they just got Rex over with and I could fully enjoy being here on the ride. Now every reveal I still have some skin in the game

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight, I really wish Geno was just made an assist trophy in the base game. Just end the Geno fandom's suffering right then and there, like how fans of the likes of Isaac, Waluigi, Krystal, Ashley, Shadow, etc were given closure by the end of base game speculation.

Alternatively, they should of just added back the Geno Mii outfit with Hero and be done with it, rather than dragging it out for another year.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In hindsight, I really wish Geno was just made an assist trophy in the base game. Just end the Geno fandom's suffering right then and there, like how fans of the likes of Isaac, Waluigi, Krystal, Ashley, Shadow, etc were given closure by the end of base game speculation.

Alternatively, they should of just added back the Geno Mii outfit with Hero and be done with it, rather than dragging it out for another year.
If Geno was a Mii Costume with Hero people probably would've kept their hopes for him kind of like how us Rex fans are keeping our hopes up between Min Min and the distance from the Rex Mii Costume. With that said it probably would've been over by the Sephiroth reveal if the Geno costume already existed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Bayo was definitely intended to be a bombshell to go out on, though it didn't work out that great in practice for various reasons (dual release with controversial pick Corrin, smash ballot drama, later on game balance/competitive play drama).

With Byleth, I have no clue what they were thinking. Three Houses is one of my favorite games and Byleth is my Ultimate main but it's obvious even to me that making them the final character of pass 1 was a terrible idea. It's surprising how seemingly poorly thought out their release timing was considering how well the rest of the Ultimate DLC was handled.
Byleth was the last character in pass 1 because that was just the order the characters were developed and released in (and also they released safely after their home game, unlike Melee Roy or Corrin in the west).

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So...this is a post from the Geno Smashboards topic.

1607706790302.png

Oh dear...
Good lord.

I remember the days when dudes were whining about 3rd parties even being included in Smash and it's interesting to see how we've evolved to this. Also don't really understand people who view Smash as an all-or-nothing package. For example, I really am not losing sleep over my #1 most-wanted not getting into this entry when I've gotten my #5-12 in. Ultimate has been a damn good package and really I just want the game to continue getting as much content as possible.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I read that entire Geno thing, lmao

It's wild that people act like "no one" asked for Joker because I remember when Ultimate got announced I said that he'd be my most wanted even if I thought he could never happen in a million years.

Also the Banjo paragraph is fucking ridiculous lmfao

Jun 11, 2019
Even as a Byleth enthusiast, having them take the last slot in the first pass probably wasn't the best idea from a general marketing perspective in terms of pacing

Granted, I don't really know what else they could have done without releasing the character within those first 6 months of 3H's release or moving them to Pass 2 but I'm dumb so someone else could probably think of something better

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Good lord.

I remember the days when dudes were whining 3rd parties even being included in Smash and it's interesting to see how we've evolved to this. Also don't really understand people who view Smash as an all-or-nothing package. For example, I really am not losing sleep over my #1 most-wanted not getting into this entry when I've gotten my #5-12 in. Ultimate has been a damn good package and really I just want the game to continue getting as much content as possible.
Yeah, Sora's always been who I want in the most but I'm fucking living for all of the characters we've gotten even though we aren't getting Sora. Not sure why other people can't deal with their most wanted not getting in.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Maybe it's just me, but it feels like Sora was wanted and they couldn't make a deal so Sephiroth happened instead.

I'd find it really odd to have both in the same pass.
My headcanon is that Nintendo tried to get Sora, failed again, and then let Nomura choose a fighter as an apology and he picked Sephiroth

Definitely for sure how it went down. Nomura's choice

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even as a Byleth enthusiast, having them take the last slot in the first pass probably wasn't the best idea from a general marketing perspective in terms of pacing

Granted, I don't really know what else they could have done without releasing the character within those first 6 months of 3H's release or moving them to Pass 2 but I'm dumb so someone else could probably think of something better
Let's be honest here there's no place announcing a new Fire Emblem character much less one that's a blue-ish haired sword fighter avatar with little personality in their origin game would've been received well in the community. Byleth was always gonna be destined to be one of the more panned reveals. At least Pass 1 was already pretty strong and they had more characters on the way. Just guaranteeing more fighters was probably their best card to mitigate backlash if they were to bother at all

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
tbh they should use this upcoming mii costume batch to do iconic JRPG characters that won't make it in otherwise

Geno, Lloyd, Kid from Undertale...

... Ichiban from Yakuza Like a Dragon...

Status
Not open for further replies.