• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"He doesn't follow internets reaction so didn't know all the fan predictions. (p209)"

I'm calling BS on that. Not only was he aware of demand for Ridley since Brawl, he reacted to Etika's reaction videos in the past.

Source on his reaction to Etika? Sounds interesting to read up on.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to suggest this for a bet I tried to start yesterday, but here you go:
YcYsWR6.png

This is definitely what I'm going to make yuoke wear.

Mar 9, 2018
The point was more I doubt that Ryu was ever the most popular Street Fighter character.

"But there more popular" for better or worse is never going to be a justification for someone getting in before the main hero.

(Though to admit my bias I hate Sans and how overexposed he is by the fan base.)
Props to you for admitting your bias, misguided a bias as it is.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing, even if Twelve & Remy were the only misses, they're still misses. I'd argue that the only real miss for SFV is Necalli (even Abigail has his charm, especially in his animations & voice lines, to the point where I can't bring myself to hate him).

Can I just say how happy I am that they redesigned Sakura? Hopefully Capcom revisits that jean jacket design for SFVI (can't have her working at the arcade forever).

sakura_sfvae_concept_09.jpg
The way Street Fighter time works, Sakura will work in an arcade until 2039.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck are we halfway done with the 1 year timeline Sakurai said it would take to make all the DLC and we only have 20% of the content revealed?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
How the fuck are we halfway done with the 1 year timeline Sakurai said it would take to make all the DLC and we only have 20% of the content revealed?
We aren't halfway yet (content is set to be released by February 2020) but ignoring that, the simple reason is that Piranha Plant happened between launch a Joker. It's all about keeping up player interest and not leaving large gaps between content updates:
  • 1.0 (launch): December 7th 2018
  • 2.0 (Piranha Plant): January 29th 2019
  • 3.0 (Joker): April 17th 2019
Everyone is expecting the next fighter in less than three weeks (meaning we'll have 3/6 DLC characters or 2/5 Challenger Packs before the end of June), and they could potentially reveal the one afterwards during that time too.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Eh. Still a better release schedule than Disney channel with their shows.

I mean, we are getting at least 1 character announced at E3. And the rest are probably coming in quick succession afterwards.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
February of 2020 was the deadline
I'm guessing a reveal and release at E3, plus another trailer for an upcoming character to be released in July/August.

After that, character four should probably be revealed and/or launched by November, and the last one could probably debut at the Game Awards followed by a February 2020 release.

That's my guess.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Thanks. The more I look at it, the more I realize she could be similar to Joker, minus the counter mechanic. Initially, I thought she could work like Cloud and just have one powered up move at a time, or even have Issen behave similar to Mac's KO Punch, but I'm thinking the temporary increase to all her moves like Joker would be more feasible (I can see the petty fans argue that she'd be a lazy retread of Joker, but I don't see how Sakurai could make her any better)

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
i wish terry bogard could be in smash. SNK doesn't have a rep yet. Other than that i would like adeleine from kirby more than anyone else, but that's not really happening so let's just leave at that.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Also, terry alt with his jacket from mark of the wolves and one of his taunts is him going "stand up" and the other is "c'mon,get serious!"

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Gex is the most honest character, but we don't deserve him.

The Smash Fandom doesn't deserve the most honest character.

You monsters.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I think the fact that Snake was missing played a factor in it, too. I always thought it'd be really odd if they went up to Konami to negotiate for characters for Smash 4 without bringing back the Konami rep that was in previous installments.

If Snake was in Smash 4's base roster, I think there would of been more talks about Castlevania for DLC amongst the Smash community.
I've personally felt that certain franchisees that are popular yet are considered "dead" (stuff like megaman and castlevania) had a much bigger chance of being included in base roster since they would be much cheaper to pick up as opposed to certain titles (DQ and FF). It's entirely possible that konami's conflict with kojima was a factor.
Sora wasn't nearly as relevant as he is now. Doubt it was him.

Tho if we had a Ballot today. I think he would honestly top the poll. Or top 3 at least.
He has always topped fan polls (around top 5 easily) even before KH3 was out.
Honestly let's talk about Sora abit because he's gotten a big push in recent Smash speculation.

Typically characters that have recieved big pushes from the fanbase have been characters from the late 80s/90s so like Sonic, Mega Man, Castlevania, and Banjo Kazooie but this is the first character who's made a big push that's from a more recent generation. Kind of interested in seeing what other characters Smash fans will latch onto once the old school characters thin out
I don't think KH really is that "young" tbh, 17 years is not from the NES times.
Persona 5 was a released game (and one that Sakurai played), which provides more than enough material for planning out character. Three Houses is a game that wasn't (and still isn't) released to the public, so collaborating with the devs from the start would be crucial in planning or deciding anything about the characters from that game. The time allotted for DLC development is far too short for them to leave a placeholder slot for an FE/Pokemon rep like they do for the base game, and the first thing Sakurai typically does in the process of deciding the Pokemon rep is, you guessed it, approaching TPC/Game Freak for concept art and information about those upcoming creatures.

I'll own up to probably being wrong on this, but I think doing some planning before everything is sorted out is reasonable. Do people think that Sakurai approached SEGA and Platinum less than two weeks into the ballot before putting in that Zero Suit placeholder slot?
We'll never know tbh, but having a placeholder doesn't really tell us whether a character has been fully signed on and agreed by all parties. Cloud and corrin may have been already agreed on before bayo was finalized.
if you get the rights for sora you might as well add Elsa instead, and even tho Elsa deserves the spot more than Erdrick I doubt we'd get two Squeenix characters in the fighters pass.
One's a video game character, the other isn't. And KH is disney so maybe we can put off the "2 reps argument for SQ".

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
A thought occurred to me a few days ago. I wonder if the possible/eventual Persona 5 Arena will just stick with Joker rather than Ren Amamiya as was established by the anime & other spin-off games (plus what ASW uses on Twitter). Now that Smash beat Arc System Works to the punch, most will know him as Joker. The part that has me curious is that if ASW sticks with the Ren name, it may cause confusion for those who know Ren/Joker from Smash.

As for my prediction, I feel like it'll depend on how they name the other Phantom Theives in P5A/P5U. If the likes of Ryuji & Ann go by Skull & Panther (like they're referred to for their Funko POP figures), ASW will probably follow Sakurai's lead & just refer to Ren as Joker. On the flip side, if they use the full Ryuji & Ann names, maybe they'll go with Ren.

Persona 5 was a released game (and one that Sakurai played), which provides more than enough material for planning out character. Three Houses is a game that wasn't (and still isn't) released to the public, so collaborating with the devs from the start would be crucial in planning or deciding anything about the characters from that game. The time allotted for DLC development is far too short for them to leave a placeholder slot for an FE/Pokemon rep like they do for the base game, and the first thing Sakurai typically does in the process of deciding the Pokemon rep is, you guessed it, approaching TPC/Game Freak for concept art and information about those upcoming creatures.

I'll own up to probably being wrong on this, but I think doing some planning before everything is sorted out is reasonable. Do people think that Sakurai approached SEGA and Platinum less than two weeks into the ballot before putting in that Zero Suit placeholder slot?
Likewise, after what happened with Roy, I'd imagine that Sakurai wouldn't want to lock down any ideas for Byleth, Edelgard, or anyone else from Three Houses until the game is just about to go gold. At least with Corrin, Fire Emblem Fates had been out in Japan for months prior to Sakurai pinning him down to be included in Smash. In this case, everyone was nailed down as of November 6th, 2018. From then, Three Houses would have been over 8 months away from release.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
A thought occurred to me a few days ago. I wonder if the possible/eventual Persona 5 Arena will just stick with Joker rather than Ren Amamiya as was established by the anime & other spin-off games (plus what ASW uses on Twitter). Now that Smash beat Arc System Works to the punch, most will know him as Joker. The part that has me curious is that if ASW sticks with the Ren name, it may cause confusion for those who know Ren/Joker from Smash.

As for my prediction, I feel like it'll depend on how they name the other Phantom Theives in P5A/P5U. If the likes of Ryuji & Ann go by Skull & Panther (like they're referred to for their Funko POP figures), ASW will probably follow Sakurai's lead & just refer to Ren as Joker. On the flip side, if they use the full Ryuji & Ann names, maybe they'll go with Ren.
If the story mode is any similar to how the previous ones were, then they're definitely giving him Ren during it imo even if during the vs battles they only use codenames. There's gotta be scenes where they hang out outside the palaces/tv world/dark hour/whatever is the setting.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If the story mode is any similar to how the previous ones were, then they're definitely giving him Ren during it imo even if during the vs battles they only use codenames. There's gotta be scenes where they hang out outside the palaces/tv world/dark hour/whatever is the setting.
Now that you mention it, it'd be pretty cool if they gave us the option to change the Phantom Theives' names for the character select screen & the life bars between their real names & their codenames if/when P5A/P5U happens.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I have no idea who this character is, but the crazy anime hair, the massive eyes and the weirdly designed clothing suggests it's probably someone from Dangosomething.
I'm impressed that you actually guessed the franchise correctly. That's Kokichi Oma from Danganronpa V3

and he definitely isn't an honest boy; that's the joke.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm impressed that you actually guessed the franchise correctly. That's Kokichi Oma from Danganronpa V3

and he definitely isn't an honest boy; that's the joke.

I'm not impressed at all, the series' characters are super easy to pick out lol. They thread this absolutely bizarre line where they are actually kind of basic in terms of design and still manage to be ridiculously overdesigned. It's insane.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Dedede had a major dishonesty plot in Kirby's Adventure.
Wario had a major dishonesty plot in WarioWare 1.
Some Links have dishonest moments, but I struggle to remember a mandatory one.
Ganondorf is dishonest to the king.
Sonic had a dishonest moment in Adventure 1, but seems to have mostly left that behind, and it was a desperate moment.
Bowser Jr. is dishonest.
Bowser and Lucina and Sheik are up to interpretation. Thus Zelda also is.
The Joker's plot seems dishonest from the outside.
Snake has some definite dishonesty points, especially if it's not just Solid Snake.
Lucas canonically gets dishonest at at least one point.
Palutena likes trolling Pit but the major dishonesty part seems to be limited to her not being herself.
In comparison to Louie, Olimar appears to be honest, but I'm not deep into that lore.
I doubt there's conclusive data for ROB.
Samus, Mario and Luigi appear to be honest.

This looks less clear and cut than I expected.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing honest about autocracy so Lucina and Zelda/Sheik are just as shifty to me.

Palutena is a voyeur who looks at Pit bathing. Also the entire plot of Uprising is about how petty divine squabbles fuck up the world.

Olimar is a colonialist who wishes to exploit indigenous populations for profit.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Likewise, after what happened with Roy, I'd imagine that Sakurai wouldn't want to lock down any ideas for Byleth, Edelgard, or anyone else from Three Houses until the game is just about to go gold. At least with Corrin, Fire Emblem Fates had been out in Japan for months prior to Sakurai pinning him down to be included in Smash. In this case, everyone was nailed down as of November 6th, 2018. From then, Three Houses would have been over 8 months away from release.
If it has a story mode I'd find it hard that they wouldn't use his name.

Also he's listed as Ren in Dancing in Starlight.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If it has a story mode I'd find it hard that they wouldn't use his name.

Also he's listed as Ren in Dancing in Starlight.
Yeah, that's what I meant by spin-offs. Still, it'd be cool if Arc System Works did the name option where you could switch between codenames & real names for the Phantom Theives.

Also, I kinda hope they go the GGXrd/DBFZ route with the visuals.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Just read some of the re-translation from Pushdustin and I'm thinking we'll only get one Smash character at E3.

Sakurai said he didn't want to release all 3 characters back at E3 2015 and that for Ultimate he has to create a lot from scratch.

We'll see.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Just read some of the re-translation from Pushdustin and I'm thinking we'll only get one Smash character at E3.

Sakurai said he didn't want to release all 3 characters back at E3 2015 and that for Ultimate he has to create a lot from scratch.

We'll see.
Sounds like one announcement at E3. Again character is an event so he wants them to have all spotlight until the next announcement. 3rd character is likely in August.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see people coming around to my way of thinking. I've said for a while now that I only expect one character at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.