What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I dunno, the drive for banjo always felt like hype for wailuigi/issac but multiplied by steriods. He's solely driven by fanbase requests and while that's not a bad thing, the franchise has been dead for awhile and it's the thing why i'm so leery about him.
Aren't those just the (bad) arguments people made against against K. Rool?
  • Solely driven by fanbase requests.
  • Character has been stagnant and hasn't appeared in ten years; nobody will know or care about him.
It worked out for one Rare star, and with Microsoft acting buddy-buddy with Nintendo, this could be the bear and bird's finest hour.

It's perfectly fine with me if he gets in but i have some problems seeing younger audiences flock to him. Unlike cloud/erdrick, who come from a long-past game, but their franchisees still live on as major juggernauts of the genre and banjo can't claim that.
I wouldn't even want to let a young child near Persona 5. I don't think recognisably among younger audiences is even a factor; otherwise Mega Man and Simon wouldn't be here.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm not super hyped for E3 when comes to Smash, honestly ~
Doesn't help that Dragon Quest and Erdrick means absolutely nothing for me (and the genre in particular is the least appealing to my tastes), but knowing basically as a fact the character they'll reveal is the worst part;

would be different if they said names before. would be a different kind of expectation, of wanting to see how everything is in motion, but now.. is just a "pretends to be shocked" moment. Really hoping for no more leaks/datamines for the remaining characters, at least

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

Erdrick hype, am I right everyone?

There's already a leak that Banjo is in, but you gotta believe that YouTube guy with his supposed Microsoft source.

I'm sure there's a leak for every character if you look hard enough.
I thought it was obvious that I was more talking about a clearly legit leak that undoubtedly proves they will be in the game (like the Ken Leak from the pre-release hype cycle). There are thousands of fake lists and leaks with Banjo on them, that isn't new.

Last edited:

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
With E3 just around the corner, I might as well set myself up to have my wishlist completely crushed.

SCGVBmR.png

Deleted member 1778

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, Erdrick really isn't for us. Erdrick is for Japan. I don't think it's fair to judge them with western popularity, when they aren't even getting in because of the west.

If we're going by characters that are made for Japan, let's go all the way and get Ex-Aid in! There's already Kamen Rider games on Nintendo consoles (including two of his own), plus Ex-Aid was made for this!

385680af0c1acc051b747fe24bff25d4a65caec2_hq.gif

f766348d1eb7158fb28fd1813661c98ce2e18456_hq.gif

deba31c3df8c9f00a7a134fca2f5685a161bafe8_hq.gif

I know it's literally never going to happen but I don't really have any major desires as long as Banjo gets in, so let's get E X C I T E !

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So what happens if Banjo doesn't get in? If we don't get a Microsoft rep?

Let's say Erdrick, Jill Valentine, Heihachi, and Ezio are our remaining fighters?

Do you walk away disappointed? Are you satisfied with this line-up?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

Let's say Erdrick, Jill Valentine, Heihachi, and Ezio are our remaining fighters?

Erdrick: Okay
Jill: Okay
Heihachi: Meh
Ezio: Okay

Doesn't seem wise to start with the best character in the Fighters Pass.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

Kinda disappointed though it's my fault for never playing any of those games. Finally finished P5 a few days ago after playing it nonstop for 2 weeks. Of those characters I've only played RE VII and Jill ain't there if I remember.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Erdrick: Okay
Jill: Okay
Heihachi: Meh
Ezio: Okay

Doesn't seem wise to start with the best character in the Fighters Pass.

Would you prefer Lloyd in place of Heihachi? (I just listed some of the biggest series I could find that don't have a rep in Smash. This isn't my official guess or anything, lol.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Would you prefer Lloyd in place of Heihachi? (I just listed some of the biggest series I could find that don't have a rep in Smash. This isn't my official guess or anything, lol.)
I don't have a preference for any of the likely Bandai Namco characters really. I've played Symphonia and a few Tekken games, but I don't particularly care for either (I guess Lloyd would be a bit more cool, since we don't have a dual wielder in Smash).

I guess I would give a Dark Souls rep an okay, but all I really want is the Prince of All Cosmos (but that isn't happening, which is why i'm indifferent towards other BN reps).

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

I'm not expecting anything Microsoft at all; that's how things I see ending anyway --

but for your choices: Jill and Heihachi gets a big yay from me! Everyone else is a "whatever". Would be sad to not get at least one platformer guy among the DLC.. Crash, Banjo, Rayman, any of them

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting anything Microsoft at all; that's how things I see ending anyway --

but for your choices: Jill and Heihachi gets a big yay from me! Everyone else is a "whatever". Would be sad to not get at least one platformer guy among the DLC.. Crash, Banjo, Rayman, any of them

That's not my dream line-up. I thought people would give me a hard time if I did that, lol. Like, "You're not getting Banjo, but I'm totally getting Ryu Hayabusa, bwahaha." :p

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
What makes you think we would get more then just 2 low quality tracks just like Final fantasy?
Nintendo already paid off Sugiyama to get the orchestral soundtrack in the Switch port of XI. If they didn't also make a deal for Smash at the same time, that would be a pretty big oversight on their part.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Aren't those just the (bad) arguments people made against against K. Rool?
  • Solely driven by fanbase requests.
  • Character has been stagnant and hasn't appeared in ten years; nobody will know or care about him.
It worked out for one Rare star, and with Microsoft acting buddy-buddy with Nintendo, this could be the bear and bird's finest hour.

I wouldn't even want to let a young child near Persona 5. I don't think recognisably among younger audiences is even a factor; otherwise Mega Man and Simon wouldn't be here.
Banjo's no first-party character (the criteria would definitely be looser, and imho k rool was a great pick), and i would expect the 3rd party to be somewhat active in today's landscape.

Plus my point was more towards people who were born during the mid 1990s/2000s. That's a non-significant portion of smash's audience, one whom would be more familar with other series which are more active. Fact is, banjo's inactivity during the past decades should have hurt his chances significantly and yet we're pushing him as one of the frontliners for this dlc.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think the difference between K. Rool and Banjo is that the former, despite not appearing in a long time, is still at least a major character from a major and long running Nintendo series that still sees game releases. That's the distinction.

Banjo is kinda more comparable to that of Isaac, being protagonists of dead franchises that haven't had a new game for about a decade by now. And well, we all saw what happened to Isaac, despite him too being a majorly requested Smash candidate for years.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I think the difference between K. Rool and Banjo is that the former, despite not appearing in a long time, is still at least a major character from a major and long running Nintendo series that still sees game releases. That's the distinction.

Banjo is kinda more comparable to that of Isaac, being protagonists of dead franchises that haven't had a new game for about a decade by now. And well, we all saw what happened to Isaac, despite him too being a majorly requested Smash candidate for years.
Steve to be the MS rep but accompanied by BK AT confirmed

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that nobody here is excited for 'Erdrick' the hero of Dragon Quest III.
RgWQWxC.png

Can someone pm me the link for the discord?
No idea if anyone got back to you on this, but a link is in the OP.

God this thread is going to suck if Erdrick isn't in.
What will we do if Tansut/the other insiders had it wrong and we don't get him? What if Brave WAS referring to someone else?
I don't think my heart can take it.
Well on the brightside, there will be lots of nice looking avatars in this thread.

There's already a leak that Banjo is in, but you gotta believe that YouTube guy with his supposed Microsoft source.
Believing YouTubers is the Smash equivilent of believing the Earth is flat.

It's always been a tall ask to get an MS rep in Smash considering you're dealing with a competitive in the console space rather than a third party. You just accept it was a pipe dream and get on with life. (While enjoying Haruka in Smash)

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone really think this would be Smash related? We ain't gonna get a Smash character reveal outside of a Nintendo event.
I figured they would reveal Erdrick somewhere other than the Smash direct since he's kind of a dud. Then they could reveal somebody better on the same day to keep the news cycle positive.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

This is the trippiest video I have watched in a while. It makes me wish that, although I want Individual Break The Targets to come back, Sakurai allowed for more flexibility when implementing the mode.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
3.1.0? Interesting. Is it time to joke about nerfs?

The Pokemon Direct was kinda unexpected to me... the timing that is. I wonder if we'll see enough of Grookey-2 or something to figure out whether Grookey-3 is a stick fencer.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Unless this Balance update is made in preparation to the new character's reveal...and release? (IMHO)
But that makes no sense? They have to have a new update for the new character anyway, unless they plan to timelock them until a proper release. Which would be dumb considering we know how thorough Smash dataminers are.

The only thing I can think of is that they are gonna shadowdrop the new character with this update, and E3 will be like Joker's reveal, with only a teaser as for what is coming next.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
But that makes no sense? They have to have a new update for the new character anyway, unless they plan to timelock them until a proper release. Which would be dumb considering we know how thorough Smash dataminers are.
I'm pretty sure there is a way to prevent the "fast" dataminers from datamining data to be shadowdropped with a quick unlock (I'm thinking about something along the lines of Nintendo's current preload protection scheme), I'm just not sure (1:) whether the dev team is aware of it and (2:) if it wouldn't affect performance too much given what Nintendo allows developers to do with the Switch.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I figured they would reveal Erdrick somewhere other than the Smash direct since he's kind of a dud. Then they could reveal somebody better on the same day to keep the news cycle positive.
But Nintendo's still gonna treat Erdrick, or whoever the Dragon Quest rep is, as a big deal. It'll probably be part of their DQ push. Having another reveal not long after would be kinda like admitting defeat.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
If it was a shadow drop of DLC, wouldn't it be 4.0.0?
I don't think the update numbers have any rhyme or reason.
I'm pretty sure there is a way to prevent the "fast" dataminers from datamining data to be shadowdropped with a quick unlock (I'm thinking about something along the lines of Nintendo's current preload protection scheme), I'm just not sure (1:) whether the dev team is aware of it and (2:) if it wouldn't affect performance too much given what Nintendo allows developers to do with the Switch.
Sitting with that info for two weeks seems like a time bomb to me, but oh well. I'm choosing to believe it's a shadow drop in this scenario.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say I would be kind of stoked for Erdrick if he had a DQ1 horned warrior skin. That character and game are great.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say I would be kind of stoked for Erdrick if he had a DQ1 horned warrior skin. That character and game are great.
I have no idea how you think Erdrick is a dud and then go on to call DQ1 "great."

There's a certain antiquated charm to DQ1 and it paved the road to great things but i can't recommend it to anyone outside of completionism or novelty value.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how you think Erdrick is a dud and then go on to call DQ1 "great."

There's a certain antiquated charm to DQ1 and it paved the road to great things but i can't recommend it to anyone outside of completionism or novelty value.
omg no way, it's the best game (esp on mobile)

It's not too long
All killer no filler. It's basically the same plot as every DQ game after but with the fat cut out.
It has the same music and sound effects as all of the future games in the series, but it's justified.
The are no party members, which is refreshing for an RPG and gives it a Metroid/Castlevania 1 "you against the world" feel
The main protag looks like this: toriyama's best protagonist design for the series
gallery_6597_37_592086.png

I tried to get into DQ3 but I didn't have the patience. It's basically the same game but bloated.

This is what DQ1 hero looks like underneath that horned helmet.

It's Super Saiyan Sword Goku, lol.

That's a point in his favor too but maybe keep the helmet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.