• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I always wondered how it tastes. :p .. the Japanese games indeed just call Wumpa Fruits 'Apples' and nothing more.

Huh. I didn't know that. You learn something new every day!

I need this to happen in a game. Really hoping Smash delivers.

They're from Yakuza. It's one of 4 franchises SEGA actually pays attention to these days, & is one of the only 2 to get AAA budgets. Sonic hasn't even gotten that level of treatment since Unleashed.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
pass570knn.jpg

My dream Fighters Pass roster.
I seriously hope the full line up isn't just third party characters. They're missing out if they don't include more Nintendo characters. Ray from Custom Robo, Ribbon Girl from ARMS, Chibi Robo. Heck give me a partial clone of Mario that uses the FLUDD Nozzles for his B moves and the hover nozzle if you hold jump.

Banjo Kazooie and Master Chief would be pretty cool though.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I seriously hope the full line up isn't just third party characters. They're missing out if they don't include more Nintendo characters. Ray from Custom Robo, Ribbon Girl from ARMS, Chibi Robo. Heck give me a partial clone of Mario that uses the FLUDD Nozzles for his B moves and the hover nozzle if you hold jump.

Banjo Kazooie and Master Chief would be pretty cool though.

don't forget Wonder Red and Elma.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA

My life has been missing a rival since the Ness main I used to play with moved away. So I'm OK with this.

Ninja Gaiden games let you do things like this:

(Video game gore.)

Neat. But I think between Sheik and Greninja, that archetype is in Smash. So while I wouldn't be disappointed, I wouldn't be excited to play as another ninja character even if he was different. But at the same time, I wouldn't dislike it like I think I'm going to with other characters.

Literally every character consistently brought up in these threads would make up a meh pass to me.

DQ rep (despite being a huge DQ fan), any of the proposed Capcom reps, Crash, Ubisoft reps, 2B, Tales rep, Tekken rep. Ryu Hayabusa and Microsoft reps would be the only consistently mentioned characters that would move the needle.

Your "meh" pass is my unbelievably best case scenario pass tbh.

I had to differentiate myself between true meh and if I would be a little disappointed or a little excited. It definitely took me a good moment. I'm not even sure Tom Nook should be on there- I'm not indifferent enough.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The one character I want most is a Xenoblade 2 character. I know it's likely not happening, but new thread and all, I felt I had to get it out there.

Aside from that, what I'd like more than characters, actually, is more alt-costumes (non-Mii). I want to see other Links, other Mario costumes, Splatoon 2 inklings, and more. I think we've reached significant diminishing returns with characters, and you can actually make more fan wishes come true with alt costumes at this point. At least for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still going with my theory that the DLC will be all be third party characters given that they'll each come with a stage and music.

I also think they're going to try and give every company involved an additional representative in Ultimate. So far SEGA, Capcom, and Konami got new characters, so I think one of the DLC fighters will be a Namco character, and maybe one for Square Enix. I say maybe because it'd be weird if we got one after the lack of any new Final Fantasy content in Ultimate, and how hard it was for them to get Cloud back.

As for the Namco representative, I'm guessing it would be a Tales character, probably Lloyd (was already a costume in Wii U/3DS) or Jin Kazama from Tekken. I would've suggested Heihachi, but I feel like that would be awkward after he was in Playstation All Stars, and:

He's probably not going to be the face of the franchise as much as he used to be, now that he's passed, and the focuses is now on Kazuya vs. Jin more.

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The DQ rep very well may be the Luminary due to the recent release, the Celestrian due to being in the most sold game in the series, or Erdrick due to being in the most popular game in the series.

I'm still hoping for something like this

images

But with some female alts.

Dragon Quest is kind of a big deal in its home of Japan, and Nintendo has a vested interest now in making the series popular in the West.

I think the timing would fit quite well for an E3 reveal. It would help promote Builders as well as XI and who knows if there are other DQ announcements like the rumored mobile to Switch ports.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I would've suggested Heihachi, but I feel like that would be awkward after he was in Playstation All Stars, and:

He's probably not going to be the face of the franchise as much as he used to be, now that he's passed, and the focuses is now on Kazuya vs. Jin more.
until Tekken 8 comes out and proves otherwise, I don't believe that any story reasons will change Heihachi's status of poster boy. One game won't make vanish all the legacy of a character got.

And honestly, I think we'll see Heihachi in something else yet before Smash (if anything Tekken is included)

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

images

I mean, having multiple heroes as different costumes is how I originally wanted a Dragon Quest hero to be repped, but I think Erdrick with a 50/50 split of male/female alts would probably be what they go with (maybe Luminary as an Echo, but that's just a MAYBE). Rest of the heroes can be spirits though.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
As for the Namco representative, I'm guessing it would be a Tales character, probably Lloyd (was already a costume in Wii U/3DS) or Jin Kazama from Tekken (also a costume). I would've suggested Heihachi, but I feel like that would be awkward after he was in Playstation All Stars, and:

Lloyd, Nightmare, or someone from Tekken make a lot of sense.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Someone on here convinced me that a Dark Souls rep is a fairly possible outcome. That's partially owned by Bandai Namco so it counts I guess.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
The one character I want most is a Xenoblade 2 character. I know it's likely not happening, but new thread and all, I felt I had to get it out there.

Aside from that, what I'd like more than characters, actually, is more alt-costumes (non-Mii). I want to see other Links, other Mario costumes, Splatoon 2 inklings, and more. I think we've reached significant diminishing returns with characters, and you can actually make more fan wishes come true with alt costumes at this point. At least for me.
I feel your pain. I wanted an ARMS character really bad.

Guess we'll have to wait for Smash 6 to see Rex, Springman, Ribbon Girl, Sword & Shield Pokemon, Agent 8, and all these other new characters.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
My wishlist:
- Ray MK 01 (Custom Robo)
- Ghirahim
- Skull Kid
- Spring Man
- Chibi Robo
- FLUDD Mario
- Master Chief
- Banjo Kazooie

Echo pack:
- Demise
- Captain Rainbow
- Dixie Kong
- Ribbon Girl
- Tetra

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
mm an echo pass would be cool

dixie kong
zack fair
octoling
medusa
coco bandicoot
I think Splatoon needs a second full fledged character honestly. So much stuff was introduced in Splatoon 2 and so many weapons aren't represented. Agent 8 (Octoling) could be a character next time. The series is incredibly successful and has earned it imo.

Medusa is a great idea though. Didn't think of that~

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If there was an Echo Pack, they wouldn't include echoes for other DLC characters in it. The real best Echo Pack is:

16Ɛ - Impa
38Ɛ - Blaze
54Ɛ - Medusa
64Ɛ - Octoling

for the last one? I dunno, 14Ɛ - Midbus, to make the whole pack female.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We need a new game I guess to pass the time.

What characters would make up your "meh pass"? Nothing to be excited over, but also wouldn't be disappointed that you already spent $25 on the pass either.

I'd go with Joker, Tom Nook, Marx, Rhythm Heaven character and Ryu Hayabusa. I wouldn't be disappointed, but I wouldn't be excited and amped to try one. And I included Joker bc that's really how I feel about his inclusion- it's just kinda meh to me.
Heihachi, Leon, Banjo, Fire Emblem character.

Nothing against people who want any of those third parties they've just don't do much for me.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
By default, Everyone Is Wrong. The next character will be unexpected while still making sense, and Era will say they were always super obvious.

Challenger Packs:
- 2B (NieR: Automata)
- Banjo-Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Erdrick (Dragon Quest III)
- Soul of Cinder (Dark Souls III)

Echoes Pack:
- Octoling (Splatoon)
- Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
- Seliph (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War)

Assuming that Individual DLC Characters are a thing like the Piranha Plant:
- Kasumi (Persona 5: Royal)
- Bandana Dee (Kirby)

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I think Splatoon needs a second full fledged character honestly. So much stuff was introduced in Splatoon 2 and so many weapons aren't represented. Agent 8 (Octoling) could be a character next time. The series is incredibly successful and has earned it imo.

Dj Octavio is the only other splatoon character that would make sense to me. inkling as it is is more than enough. the echo octoling could get slightly different weapons, like sunction bombs ;-)

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

images

I think the timing would fit quite well for an E3 reveal. It would help promote Builders as well as XI and who knows if there are other DQ announcements like the rumored mobile to Switch ports.
They couldn't come up with a name for the Dragon Quest 11 Hero? Just call him the Luminary.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
If there was an Echo Pack, they wouldn't include echoes for other DLC characters in it. The real best Echo Pack is:

16Ɛ - Impa
38Ɛ - Blaze
54Ɛ - Medusa
64Ɛ - Octoling

What would you think of Demise, Twilight Ganondorf, and Skyward Sword Zelda/Twilight Zelda/Champion Zelda as skins or echoes?

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018

images

I wonder if that will dilute the value of the character through. Like imagine Mario but you put luigi/wario as recolors of him.

Splatoon is strange since its such a hit but I can't see anyone else other than maybe octling making it in.

Challenger Packs:

Echoes Pack:
- Octoling (Splatoon)

- Bandana Dee (Kirby)
Yea let's choose the niche-as-heck NES character that nobody knows about as the next FE rep, that'll work out for sure

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if that will dilute the value of the character through. Like imagine Mario but you put luigi/wario as recolors of him.

Yea let's choose the niche-as-heck NES character that nobody knows about as the next FE rep, that'll work out for sure
Seliph is a SNES character. Tho intrestingly enough. His game is the next in line to get remade for Fire Emblem.

They've done 1-3 already. Genealogy of the Holy War would be next. (Unless Roy wins again)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
What would you think of Demise, Twilight Ganondorf, and Skyward Sword Zelda/Twilight Zelda/Champion Zelda as skins or echoes?
Probably better as skins than Echoes, besides Demise I guess. I have Impa there as the Skyward Sword rep, so that would be a bit unnecessary in my scenario.

*SNES, and Genealogy of the Holy War is next in line for a remake (they've already done 1-3). If the timing works out, it isn't impossible.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
They couldn't come up with a name for the Dragon Quest 11 Hero? Just call him the Luminary.

Pretty sure this was made around the time when XI was early in development.

I can see what you're saying, although I think there's much less gameplay differences separating DQ protagonists. If anything, it'd be something like Link costumes or Pokémon trainers.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
My first post in this new thread shall be to once again state that my two most hopefuls are Doomguy and Lara Croft.

Hell, Lara Croft is owned by Square Enix, who's already involved in Smash. The gun excuse was bad even before Joker, and now there are no excuses at all.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

16Ɛ - Impa
38Ɛ - Blaze
54Ɛ - Medusa
64Ɛ - Octoling

Midbus is a dude

Some alternatives for an all female echo pack:
05e - Birdo if they think they can get away with a suction attack for the grab & egg lay i guess
07e - Miyu or Faye, everyone's favorite star fox characters
17e - Hilda
10e - Paula (get wrecked forever ninten)
29e - Officer Samus (her up taunt is giving a thumbs down)
31e - The Boss
40e - Brittany
43e - Tetra (I still like the idea--hey what if she carried around a phantom shield that'd be cool)
46e - Roll could probably work
55e - Mrs. pac-man
68e - Lottie

i've been thinking about echoes a lot, don't mind me

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Seliph is a SNES character. Tho intrestingly enough. His game is the next in line to get remade for Fire Emblem.

They've done 1-3 already. Genealogy of the Holy War would be next. (Unless Roy wins again)
Probably better as skins than Echoes, besides Demise I guess. I have Impa there as the Skyward Sword rep, so that would be a bit unnecessary in my scenario.

*SNES, and Genealogy of the Holy War is next in line for a remake (they've already done 1-3). If the timing works out, it isn't impossible.

1. Why the assumption that Genealogy would get a remake first? We could easily get Binding blade/FE7/Path of radiance remakes first. There's absolutely no indication of a remake coming anytime soon (we could easily get another new entry after 3H)

2. I didn't see Celica/Alm making it into smash regardless of their remake.

3. We got chrom cause he was requested heavily back then, not because a particular entry needed to be put in. There's no indication that a future Genealogy remake would push a character heavily enough to be added as an echo.

4. Why is an NES character any more special than a character from another game? This is based off popularity/requests and echoes do not have any unique movesets by themselves.

I mean, seliph is a good boy and all, but if you look into the current situation (as you should), there's absolutely no reason why you should put a FE NES rep even as an echo. There's no requests at the current moment, and at the very least there are other candidates to consider as an echo (alm/celica).
We might even end up without any new FE echoes for all we know.

Pretty sure this was made around the time when XI was early in development.

I can see what you're saying, although I think there's much less gameplay differences separating DQ protagonists. If anything, it'd be something like Link costumes or Pokémon trainers.
People have different attachments to each of these protagonists through. Link's costumes are fundamentally the same character.
Plus, with pokemon trainers you're still playing as the pokemon, not the trainer.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Challenger Packs:

Echoes Pack:
- Octoling (Splatoon)

- Bandana Dee (Kirby)
I really hope that whatever character is next, they have their flagship game on Switch, or coming to Switch.

2B after what happened with Joker (sorry that I'm still bummed about this) would be such a heartbreaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.