One more fighter left: will they be First-Party or Third-Party?

• First-Party (returning series)

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • First-Party (new series)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • Third-Party (returning series)

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Third-Party (new series)

Votes: 85 55.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Qz4zPaQ.png

9M2EVWx.png

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate launched for the Nintendo Switch on December 7th 2018, and has been steadily supported with post-launch updates, balance patches and brand new content since day one. New fighters, stages, music tracks, spirits, mii costumes, modes and weekly events have been introduced over the past two years, and this thread is where we get to discuss the currently available content and speculate about what comes next... with a lot of chatter about non-Smash games and media in-between, i'm sure.

S2DvsXi.png

During the E3 2021 Nintendo Direct, Kazuya Mishima from the Tekken series was revealed to be the next fighter joining the battle! A Mr. Sakurai Presents video focused on Kazuya aired on June 28th, showcasing the contents of his Challenger Pack and Version 12.0.0. A new round of Mii Fighter costumes that includes Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia), Dragonborn (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim), Dante (Devil May Cry) and Shantae (Shantae) were also unveiled; releasing alongside Ver. 12.0.0 and the Kazuya Challenger Pack on June 30th (in most regions) or June 29th (in the US). A Min Min amiibo was also revealed for a 2022 release, with amiibo for the remaining Volume 2 fighters also in production. The full presentation can be seen below:

Only one more newcomer remains for Fighters Pass Volume 2, which also appears to be the last for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a whole. Within Kazuya's presentation, series director Masahiro Sakurai asked that fans be patient for the reveal as "it'll be a while before that announcement"; clarifying that the final fighter is still planned to launch before the end of the year. While a Nintendo Direct this Fall would usually be the obvious place for a Smash reveal, with those comments from Sakurai in mind we may be waiting a little bit longer; only time will tell.

yxXpNQ9.png

The ice-cold heir of the Mishima bloodline, Kazuya Mishima from the Tekken series, joins the battle! Master his complex set of normal moves by performing different stick motions, and overwhelm your opponents with the power of his devilish special moves. His stage, Mishima Dojo, features breakable walls that you need to blast your opponents through to get KOs. 39 tracks from across the Tekken series are also available to pick from, including eight brand-new remixes.

ss_1.jpg
ss_4.jpg
ss_6.jpg

Me1bVCR.png

For those new to the game or unfamiliar with the available DLC content, each Challenger Pack ($5.99 USD) contains one new fighter, one new stage, several new music tracks and a DLC spirit board with several new spirit battles. While each Challenger Pack can be purchased individually, they are also available in a season pass format, which net you a bonus Mii Costume and a discount equivalent to price of one Challenger Pack.

Gt9MAUB.jpeg
NkyZvsr.jpg

Fighters Pass Volume 1 ($24.99 USD) includes Joker (Persona 5), Hero (Dragon Quest), Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie), Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury) and Byleth (Fire Emblem: Three Houses). The bonus Mii Costume included with Volume 1 is based on Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles 2).

Fighters Pass Volume 2 ($29.99 USD) includes Min-Min (ARMS), Steve & Alex (Minecraft), Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII), Pyra & Mythra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2), Kazuya Mishima (Tekken) and one more currently unannounced fighter. The bonus Mii Costume included with Volume 2 is based on the Ancient Armor (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild).

TNjkcJl.png

Currently there are no major rumors from reliable sources or any indication of who the remaining fighters could be.

In early April it was discovered that on the Australia / New Zealand eShop web store, there is a gap in product ID numbers between Challenger Pack 11 (...18972) and the Ancient Armor Mii Costume (...18974). There is currently no indication of whether this gap is indicative of unannounced content, or what that content would be. A potential bonus fighter was the most speculated possibility, but there's no evidence. It should also be noted that this gap doesn't exist on the equivalent Japanese web store, which may suggest that this is simply an error.

SE5vlYK.png

Trans Rights are Human Rights
Considering recent events on this forum and within the gaming community at large, it's become increasingly necessary to continue reminding everyone that, yes, trans rights are human rights. Trans folk shouldn't need to be in a position where asking for recognition and respect is necessary, yet here we are. Related to Smash specifcally, there are two series featured in Ultimate that feature transphobic content or are tied to transphobic individuals, which I find unacceptable. There's nothing to be done about their inclusion in Smash now, but it can still be discussed:
  • Persona, specifcally installments directed by Katsura Hashino, has a history of transphobic and homophobic content; which is especially unfortunate as Persona 2: Innocent Sin portrayed one of the earliest positive gay relationships in video games. Hashino moved on from the series following Persona 5, but it remains to be seen if having a fresh face take over as director will lead to Persona 6 being more inclusive and respectful.
  • Dragon Quest's long-time composer Koichi Sugiyama has previously shown disdain for the LGBT+ community; in addition to victim blaming and denying war crimes; and is known to use funds earned from his works to back advertisement campaigns promoting these horrid views. As Sugiyama alone owns all of his compositions for the Dragon Quest series, he assuredly benefited financially from Hero's inclusion in Ultimate.
In 2019 a member of this site was dog-piled and insulted for bringing up these points. I'm hoping that since then people have accepted the legitimacy of her concerns.
Black Lives Matter
As each new fighter is introduced, a major problem with Ultimate's roster becomes more and more apparent; despite the series now featuring over 80 fighters, not one of them is Black. You could bring up that "Villager and Inkling have two dark-skinned alt colors each", but we all know that's far from being acceptable representation. For further discussion on this topic, I suggest that everyone reads The Anti-Blackness of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a thread written by our very own Neoxon which covers this subject in amazing depth. If you missed it in February, I also recommend checking out Neoxon's Black History Month thread which highlights a variety of Black characters in video games, many that would make for wonderful Smash fighters.

I'd also like to discuss Reuben Langdon's involvement in Smash as Ken's English voice actor. Langdon has made no effort to hide his anti-BLM views on social media over the past few years; on top of previously spreading islamophobic, antisemitic and homophobic rhetoric, blaming victims of Vic Mignogna's sexual harassment, harassing Twitter users, spreading COVID-19 conspiracy theories and defending Gina Carano following transphobic and antissemitic comments. It's unfortunate to have the voice of such a heinous individual present on Smash's roster; and it's disappointing that Capcom have not yet publicly distanced themselves from Langdon and his motion capture studio Just Cause Productions.
Stop Asian Hate
The blatant sinophobia spread by members of this forum following Min Min's Smash reveal last year was disgusting and unacceptable; and it's unfortunate to say that those types of comments aren't exclusive to Smash discussion on this site either. I was under the impression that as a community ResetEra would strive to make this forum a safe and welcoming space, yet at multiple points in the past year members part of different communities have been driven away from the site due to feeling they were being unheard or simply unwanted, which includes AsianEra members. I ask that anyone and everyone reading this takes stand against Asian hate and racism; standing idly by and saying nothing isn't acceptable at this point, and it never was. Asian hate doesn't belong in this thread, on this forum, or anywhere else.

The above sentiment about taking a stand and saying something equally applies to the former two groups as well. Let the Trans, Black and Asian communities, or any other groups that regularly recieve hatred and discrimination, know that you are an ally who has their backs, not by simply claiming to be an ally, but by saying something meaningful to prove it.

Free Palestine

Many Palestinians of all ages are in need of help and support, as many currently need to rely on international aid to survive. I urge anyone who is able to spare a donation to a Palestinian relief charity to do just that; the two charities linked below should accept international donations.

Palestine | Where We Work | Islamic Relief USA

Islamic Relief has been working in Palestine for over two decades. We have been working in Palestine and providing urgent aid in times of emergency. Donate Now.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Me explaining why Travis is still in the running and why he's the final character of FP2

tenor.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Still foolishly hoping for a Black character. But at this point, I'm not really expecting it to happen.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Phoenix Wright when Phoenix Wright gets into Smash
yNbfojj.gif

(also SMT for Smash).
JackFrost.png

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
9M2EVWx.png

I really hope that, when this gets its final update, that they release each character's art in full somewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Lloyd is not happening now, so I'm going to be Falcom post #3.

They're having their 40th anniversary + in two years we'll have the entire Trails lineup on Switch outside of the Sky trilogy + could be promotion for said games coming to Switch.

Also won't get swordfighter complaints if they put in Lloyd (tonfas) or Estelle (staff).

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Me, rushing to the thread to post more obscure characters to meme about.

Oct 27, 2017
Although, anyone else think it'd be super sweet if the last character was a Kirby rep? Given this might be Sakurai's last hurrah in Smash.

You can have the trailer start off with a bunch of OP characters fighting, Dedede is in the mix, and when the King is about to take a big hit, Bandana Dee shows up to block it.

Internet would hate it, but I think it'd be such a nice tribute.

Last edited:

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Although, anyone else think it'd be super sweet if the last character was a Kirby rep? Given this might be Sakurai's last hurrah in both Smash, and gaming altogether (since he was considering retiring).

You can have the trailer start off with a bunch of OP characters fighting, Dedede is in the mix, and when the King is about to take a big hit, Bandana Dee shows up to block it.

I'd love it, but they already put in the Kirby rep I'd most want as a boss, unfortunately.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Although, anyone else think it'd be super sweet if the last character was a Kirby rep? Given this might be Sakurai's last hurrah in both Smash, and gaming altogether (since he was considering retiring).

We've got at least two major BanDee supporters here.

I don't think it'd mean too much for Sakurai himself though, since modern BanDee is basically a non-Sakurai character. I think Marx would be a better pick.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018

I wish people would stop spreading the misinformation that Sakurai is considering retiring.

He explicitly said in the same interview that he wasn't.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love it, but they already put in the Kirby rep I'd most want as a boss, unfortunately.

Between him, Rathalos, Dracula, and Ganon, it does kind of feel like some of the bosses acted as series representation a la assist trophies, doesn't it? Given the above are all highly requested characters (well, Rathalos Armored Monster Hunter, but you get the idea lol)
We've got at least two major BanDee supporters here.

I don't think it'd mean too much for Sakurai himself though, since modern BanDee is basically a non-Sakurai character. I think Marx would be a better pick.

True. Always interesting that despite being the creator of the series, he kind of had limited involvement outside of Dream Land, Adventure, Super Star, and Air Ride. The only significant character from those games besides the playable ones in Smash and Marx is Nightmare, and he got assist trophy'd.

I wish people would stop spreading the misinformation that Sakurai is considering retiring.

He explicitly said in the same interview that he wasn't.

My bad, first time actually mentioning on this site, but wasn't aware it was misinformation, edited it out of my post.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great idea!

Hey guys, let's discuss this:
Sonic the Hedgehog

Which is the best comics continuity:

- Original Archie
- Reboot Archie
- IDW

I'm very fond of the second but by the time it got its worldbuilding done the series was cancelled, so all we got was one "season" of good comics whereas IDW's playing with smaller stakes with a tone more like the Adventure era games.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have a feeling the last character will again be a surprise and not be a "predicted" underwhelming character.

Really curious how they end this whole saga of Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.