One more fighter left: will they be First-Party or Third-Party?

• First-Party (returning series)

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • First-Party (new series)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • Third-Party (returning series)

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Third-Party (new series)

Votes: 85 55.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong Jr. is a classic character from Nintendo's earliest arcade era.

Kiddie Kong is a bad character from the worst entry in an SNES trilogy.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's fascinating to know that Diddy Kong originally was just meant to be a redesigned DK Jr.

COAbS_vWgAA2OY5

Nintendo looked at this and didn't like how so different Rare's Junior was in comparison from theirs, so they requested for it to be either redesigned back to resemble the old design, or for it do just be its own original character, which Rare opted for, which resulted in Diddy Kong. Just got rid of the "J" on his shirt and gave him a tail.

Ironically Diddy more or less ended up replacing Jr. anyways. I guess that's probably the main reason why Diddy is the one Rare created character Nintendo actually formally accepted into "the family".

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Once Jr frees himself from the 16 bit prison, its all over for you Fuckers

Ape War II starts soon

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong Jr. is stupid and I hate him.

Even Kiddy is better.

It is appropriate that he carries the Donkey name, as he is ass.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong Jr. is stupid and I hate him.

Even Kiddy is better.

It is appropriate that he carries the Donkey name, as he is ass.
I thought you of all people would appreciate DK Jr more for his retro old school roots and also his fighting against the oppressor that is Mario.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway Rare's Donkey Kong Country trilogy is always going to be my Donkey Kong, but I agree with I think it was NotLiquid who said that those games weren't really about DK himself or a good fit for him and only really carved their identity when the latter two games moved onto Diddy and Dixie.

DKC is a little too nimble for this big lumbering ape, and because it's a one-hit death platformer where your characters act as health points, Donkey Kong doesn't ever get to throw down with any of the bosses so you just bounce on their heads and run away.

This is still kinda there with Retro's Donkey Kong games, the emphasis on serene visuals is definitely a prominent part of the identity of both Rare and Retro's games, but they do a much better job integrating Donkey Kong's weight and physicality into his kit and turning the other Kongs into power-ups kinda makes DK feel more important, like he's the only one big and tough enough to beat the bad guys.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
kiddy-kong-donkey-kong.gif

In all seriousness though, while I definitely agree that Kiddy's design is not great, I like Kiddy's animations in DKC3, they have a really satisfying weight and flow to them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Your mecha for today are the Testa Road, Sky Cats, Mega Diver, Night Walker, and Gran Buster from Battle Skipper. Normally I'd go with the main one but this is a little vague about who that is and doesn't really give too much focus to anyone, so I didn't think that was enough to work with.

Battle Skipper is a toy first series, I was to say something like an advancement on Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots. As a result, they're kind of uniquely blocky and inarticulate, which actually isn't bad.

The hero in the second commercial hero appears to be from the manga. I'm not sure if the toys have included lore like Zoids or Gundam, but if it does, I think it would match that rather than the anime. The manga appears to be targeted to elementary school kids, younger than shounen manga.

The OVA, however, is separate. Supposedly it was made based on market research finding that Sailor Moon was popular with adults, even beyond parents. The OVA goes into a shower scene faster than anything I've ever watched, but aside from that and the transformations, it generally seems like it's trying to ape the presentation and tropes from shoujo. I believe it later got a manga in a shonen magazine as well as one drama CD.

Essentially, the company is about power struggles around a family-owned industrial company, a la Tekken. The villain is the heiress of the main family, who seems to engage in crime at a whim. She goes to a private all-girl's school that the company funds, and her club is more powerful than the school itself. The hero are from a club led by a branch of that family, but they're not popular or powerful at all, and instead are barely hanging on. But they serve instead as a vigilante group, having inherited some advanced mecha when the patriarch of their family decided that his conscience wouldn't allow him to submit them to the military.

My biggest issue with the OVA is the second episode. I'll spare you the details, but the plot of that one is supposed to be along the lines of "one of the heroes is tricked into helping the villains", but the way they went about that is genuinely disturbing and definitely not appropriate for what seems to be meant as a very lighthearted cartoon. It doesn't seem like it was actually meant to be shocking, and the major threat in the next episode is "oh no, the school might close down our club because it's affecting our grades", so I feel like it's an issue of the writer having a bad idea and no one there to catch it.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Donkey Kong's name implicitly comes from being a Kong that terrorized New Donk City at some point in the past

this implies that Diddy Kong terrorized Sean Combs, and Dixie Kong is the scourge of Pennsylvania's southern border

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway Rare's Donkey Kong Country trilogy is always going to be my Donkey Kong, but I agree with I think it was NotLiquid who said that those games weren't really about DK himself or a good fit for him and only really carved their identity when the latter two games moved onto Diddy and Dixie.

DKC is a little too nimble for this big lumbering ape, and because it's a one-hit death platformer where your characters act as health points, Donkey Kong doesn't ever get to throw down with any of the bosses so you just bounce on their heads and run away.

This is still kinda there with Retro's Donkey Kong games, the emphasis on serene visuals is definitely a prominent part of the identity of both Rare and Retro's games, but they do a much better job integrating Donkey Kong's weight and physicality into his kit and turning the other Kongs into power-ups kinda makes DK feel more important, like he's the only one big and tough enough to beat the bad guys.

When you put it that way, the direction EAD Tokyo went with Jungle Beat made a lot of sense, what with emphasizing DK being this big brute that violently pummels everything into oblivion.

I just wish the character/enemy design in that game wasn't ass/nonsensical

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Who put on Donkey Kong Jr.'s circus strongman leotard?

You could say "oh but who put on Donkey Kong's tie" but Donkey Kong didn't get the tie until later. Jr. was always in the leotard.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
When you put it that way, the direction EAD Tokyo went with Jungle Beat made a lot of sense, what with emphasizing DK being this big brute that violently pummels everything into oblivion.

DKJB_Shogakukan_pages_170-171.jpg

"Boy I'm sure glad we moved past those ugly Rareware designs am I right guys"

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
jungle beat is funny because DK just decided one morning to choose violence
Donkey Kong games are always better when Donkey Kong beats the everloving shit out of something.

Would Donkey Kong Country 2 still have its reputation as possibly the best Donkey Kong Country game if it didn't end with DK punching K. Rool so had that he bounces all the way down a mountain?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah that's also something NotLiquid put. Jungle Beat was more fitting to the kind of character Donkey Kong is, or at least EAD's interpretation of him; he's a brutish heel who bullrushes into problems because he's so strong he doesn't have to think.

I kinda think that's something Donkey Kong should always have as a character; he shouldn't really care about anything outside his immediate desires. If he wants something he'll go grab it and if someone steps on his turf he'll smash them, but otherwise he's content to just hang out on his island. Donkey Kong as a straight laced hero never really sits well with me in much the same way as Wario; that dude will go on a journey for his own profit and then accidentally perform a grand heroic feat that lands him the reward he was searching for anyway.

Even for old school platformer characters like that, the kind of character they are should be the first thing the entire game is built around.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Every year I decide that I'm gonna pick back up Valkyria Chronicles 4 and slowly push onwards, and every time I'm like "this is fun" until the game part ends and I have to click through another page of cutscenes (broken up with "a new episode is available!", yeah no shit) involving a shitty cast that, look I'm not saying they're as wack as Tales of the Abyss, but they're on the path there.

I have the Splatoon syndrome with these where I can forgive the first game's oddities (in this case that same cutscene bombardment, mission design that leads you to go for easier cheese instead of systematically tackling the stacked odds, clunky and slow menus because CHARM), but the next one not so much because by this point they should've known that repeating these issues was a no no. Especially egregious for VC4 because it presents itself like its the real VC2 except 10 years later and that the PSP never happened.
So desperate it is to be like the popular (or as popular as niche gets) one, it copied its very own homework.
A small annoyance because as an actual game that you play, its level design and balance is better.

This might be the most "game I like playing that I'll probably never finish" going, or at least in competition with Ninja Gaiden NES for this spot, except that one stops me by pure bullshit as opposed to oppressive cutscene barrage and ANIME in the bad way.

And that's my game with no context or relation to smash post of the week.

there should be a plot event that officially obliterates half of the kongs

wrinkly is safe because she's already dead
There was, it's called the Gamecube era

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Lanky Kong legitimately die in the manga? I don't remember how it happens but there's a panel where all of the DK64 Kongs are looking at the image of Lanky's face in the sky and crying.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
RT i think that we'd see more of the Extended Kong Family if there was more releases but games just takes longer and release less frequently these days

Smash Bros re-established K. Rool as a popular feature though, so obviously the next game will lean into that by having DK team up with K. Rool and Lord Fredrik as a trio of heavies in their own lumbering platforming adventure

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be intrigued to see the japan side of Nintendo actually design more kongs, I mean outside of the Jungle Beat bosses and the little chimps
Which honestly, aren't that bad at all.

SSBBHelperMonkeyBeta.png

We were robbed of this trophy? what the fudge

Also look on in horror at the beta version of them

BetaMonkeys.jpg

the Mario Party "Mini Bowsers" of DK

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The last reference to Swanky Kong before his spirit in SSBU is a billboard in Mario Superstar Baseball that uses his DKC3 art.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I think Bandai Namco is letting people view this one for now. Or YouTube is. I don't actually know who does what here.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
my girlfriend is a big DKC2 fan who never really played DKC3 and when I was playing it the music really pissed her off

just a constant stream of "what the fuck is this shit"

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Cascade Capers is Pure MOOD, but goobers are too busy getting hung up on stilt village being too jaunty for the googly eyed ape game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what games portray DK as a grand heroic character
Well one, "grand heroics" was in reference to Wario, and more specifically in reference to how Wario only performs those by accident like in Wario Land 3 or 4, which is more fitting to his character and makes him likeable and funny, because you still get your exciting platformer game and you still do something heroic and praiseworthy, but Wario wouldn't go out of his way to do that, he'd only really figure out he did after the fact.

Otherwise for DK, it's mostly just in the spinoffs where his personality is Main Character.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Cascade Capers is Pure MOOD, but goobers are too busy getting hung up on stilt village being too jaunty for the googly eyed ape game.
Or they bring up the GBA version and I roll my eyes.

The SNES versions hits you with action, which is what you want. You think it'll be a jaunty adventure (Dixie Kong isn't even aware DK and Diddy have been kidnapped by K Rool at the start), but as you progress through the game the music loses that jolly edge as you make your way north.

No offence to Wise, but his DKC3 soundtrack did sound like he just composed some tracks without playing the game to get a feel for it. Maybe it's nice for a YouTube listen (which is how I feel most people judge it), but it doesn't have the right mood for the game.

Yes, I'll defend the original Stilt Village.

Plus they killed one of the best secret tunes:

Also, yes, it's Jangle Bells, not Jungle Bells.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah BGBW old chap, who would genuinely enjoy the GBA ost a lot as well? Hah haaaah...
* Fidgets nervously *

NEW TREETOP TUMBLE IS GOOD ACTUALLY, JUST NOT THAT FITTING

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
They should remake DKC 3 but then turn it into a parallel universe compaction plot. Fake remakes are apparently all the rage these days.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the Dark Side challenges in Odyssey where they make you redo a few of the other sublevels without Cappy are some truly inspired cruelty

all I have left now is Darker Side and I'm ready to suffer

Status
Not open for further replies.