Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Can't forget this lovely energy swordsman
3960a3babbfc1c7069c8516e8cd5dd02.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Digimon is like, the last piece of my childhood not yet in Smash (even if it is strictly for the anime).

I think the main problem is the Digimon games aren't viewed very prestigiously. They have their following but you're basically never gonna see them on a top 100 games list. The same isn't true of Metal Gear, Sonic, Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, etc.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Smash speculation will definitely be a lot more relaxing for me now that Banjo is in.

My new most-wanted (a thought that I didn't think I would ever have) has all the arguments solved for them already: realistic guns are okay, western third-parties are okay and Sakurai has referenced their creator in the past (viewing them as the "king" of the FPS genre).
Same. With Super Smash Bros Ultimate having every veteran return as well as these new additions - it has really made me feel truly satisfied with the roster.

Not that it wasn't already amazing last year, I just feel that no one is missing anymore, especially after Banjo-Kazooie.

I can rejoice knowing I have a Smash Bros game with the likes of Mario, Sonic, BotW Link, Toon Link, Mewtwo, Pac-Man, Samus, Ridley, Dark Samus, Banjo-Kazooie. It's like most of my gaming childhood is within one game now

And while there are characters I was not initially overly hyped for, their inclusion was definitely great and had amazing reveals. Like Megaman, Cloud, Ryu, Pac Man, Bayonetta, King K. Rool, Joker, Hero, etc.

As much as it sounds like I'm gushing over this game. But I know many feel the same after E3 this week. And hope the last 2 newcomers are worthwhile additions for others here still waiting for theirs.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Digimon is like, the last piece of my childhood not yet in Smash (even if it is strictly for the anime).

I think the main problem is the Digimon games aren't viewed very prestigiously. They have their following but you're basically never gonna see them on a top 100 games list. The same isn't true of Metal Gear, Sonic, Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, etc.
That's the main issue with Agumon. He is more associated with anime than games

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
She isn't my most-wanted character, but Smash's roster honestly won't feel complete to me without Dixie Kong. Out of anyone left to be included, she feels like most like she should be on that character select screen, and even after getting Banjo I can't shake that thought out of my head.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
She isn't my most-wanted character, but Smash's roster honestly won't feel complete to me without Dixie Kong. Out of anyone left to be included, she feels like most like she should be on that character select screen, and even after getting Banjo I can't shake that thought out of my head.

Same here. It's a shame because Dixie would really make it feel like Everyone Is Here.

It's funny because I remember for so much of Smash 4 and Ultimate speculation, Dixie was seen as a sure thing, and K. Rool was a silly pipe dream kept alive by delusional Smash fans (forget about Banjo-Kazooie). Now two dead and irrelevant Rare characters are in Smash and Dixie is MIA. (If you check the Dixie thread on SmashBoards, you can see some bitterness about this, lol.)

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think that I at least made you dig a little bit for this one, but I admit my defeat. Haruka definitely dresses up a lot, which will make her role as a Mii Costume alongside Fighter #74 Prince of All Cosmos make perfect sense.
Yes, I almost was going to have to make my own masterpiece... which I ended up doing anyway.

4uoG3tC.jpg

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
There's another world out there where Sakurai was able to get the Diddy & Dixie tag team to work, and she would already been in since Brawl...though she probably would have been cut in Smash 4 only to return in Ultimate.

Though I think Dixie should be in, I'm not of the opinion that she's essential, but that's mostly because I kind of feel that like the three man group of Kirby, Dedede, and Meta-Knight rep the Kirby series pretty much perfectly, I felt that the two man group of DK and Diddy repped their series perfectly. K. Rool's thrown that off a bit, but whatever.

I wonder what the roster really would be like now if Rare had been kept with Nintendo, and was able to keep momentum closer to what it had from its SNES and N64 days. Banjo probably would have been in Brawl, and I feel we'd probably have Joanna Dark and maybe a KI character by now. Not sure if Rare still handling DK would have meant good or bad things for Dixie though, seeing as they replaced her in DK64.

SlimeBeherit

Nov 5, 2017
These are not the same song, the cymbals are different in the two versions

Seems like it's the same arrangement, but a new performance.

I can't confirm it because I can't find the right version right now, but I think you were on the right track. The arrangements for the Overture and Adventure seem to be from the DQIII Symphonic Suite, but the YT videos link to the London Philharmonic Orchestra performances, when the credits of the trailers clearly state it's the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra performances. Which means so far, we only have DQIII music, so it would be strange to have a DQXI stage with no DQXI music, unless they want to count Adventure as a XI piece.

Edit: Found the correct performances i think. (I hope the time stamps work)

Overture

Overture (Trailer)

Adventure Journey

Adventure Journey (Trailer)

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the argument that because one series works well with three characters the same should apply to another is vastly flawed.

DKC has the rather unique positions that its main trilogy changed up the protagonists. Kirby has always starred Kirby. Star Fox (another of those repped by three series people bring up) always starred Fox. Donkey Kong games have not always starred DK and Diddy. Dixie Kong is clearly a notch above many other, let's say, secondary characters in their respective series.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Although I want Dixie, I'm glad K. Rool got in first because I 100% know people would look at Dixie and say "that's fine, we don't need more DK characters" like they're doing now with Dixie vs. DK/Diddy/K. Rool. At least Dixie got to appear in another game this decade while K. Rool was at risk of being lost forever.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
If there is one complaint about Hero is that he really doesn't have a core identity. Probably because they made Luminary the frontliner but Erdrick the "main" star. Sometimes I forget Luminary is the face of Hero

Yeah I still hope once the roster is done, we get more options to customize the CSS, including the order of the characters and what the default skin is

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I still hope once the roster is done, we get more options to customize the CSS, including the order of the characters and what the default skin is
They should just tie the last selected colour with your name… like it already does in the 3DS version.

Though just remembering your last selection between matches would be a start.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
They should just tie the last selected colour with your name… like it already does in the 3DS version.

I'm seeing double here, four identical posts!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
This is legit crazy

From what I've seen from the JP reactions the hype for Hero and Banjo are fairly similar but there's an interest for Hero that seems beyond even what we're seeing online right now.

I heard somewhere that DQ is more the salaryman's game and is not that popular with the core gaming audience (not unpopular but it's bigger for general audiences. Kind of like 2D Mario if I understand it right) and I think that shows it. I don't think we'll fully comprehend how big Hero is over in Japan

I imagine for Japanese gamers, a Dragon Quest character in Smash has been something they've wanted since third parties were announced for Smash back in Brawl.

Probably a bit like people when Mega Man was announced. Or how we reacted to Banjo.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
a Dragon Quest character in Smash has been something they've wanted since third parties were announced for Smash back in Brawl.
I find it funny that no one voted for a DQ character on the Smash 2 Poll while Chocobo, Crash and Banjo were all on there.

I know the sample size for that poll in particular was tiny, but it's still funny.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I have to agree that Dixie's absence feels all the more noticeable now that Banjo got in. Honestly though, I can't say it upsets me. At the very least Dixie, Cranky and Funky got new life in Tropical Freeze and K. Rool and Banjo got their long awaited returns in Smash.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
While DQ is waaaaay more popular than Banjo Kazooie in Japan, I think the narrative that Japan doesn't like Banjo is extremely flawed. The game sold very well there and Banjo has been topping their most wanted newcomers list forever. Both inclusions are a pretty big deal for Japanese gamers. Crash would also have a similar West/East type thing as well, cause like Banjo his games sold very well over there.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
While DQ is waaaaay more popular than Banjo Kazooie in Japan, I think the narrative that Japan doesn't like Banjo is extremely flawed. The game sold very well there and Banjo has been topping their most wanted newcomers list forever. Both inclusions are a pretty big deal for Japanese gamers. Crash would also have a similar West/East type thing as well, cause like Banjo his games sold very well over there.
Yeah, i've seen some Japanese reaction videos where they seemed equally hyped for both DQ and BK (though people excited about Dragon Quest are obviously far more common to find). Banjo definitely had some sort of want/speculation presence in Japan, which is pretty crazy to see.

And I agree; Crash would be pretty big in Japan. Crash 2 was suriprising a hit over there (and no other game in the series has matched the JP sales for that game).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Apparently the older Japanese players really appreciated Banjo being added, but younger ones basically went "literally who????"

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something similar in the west too. I've seen some people's reactions online who couldn't have been more than 3 when Banjo-Tooie released jumping around like they actually know who Banjo is beyond him being a hyped Smash character.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Smash bros fans talking about popularity when there was confusion about Isabelle and Daisy's inclusion

lol Some of you guys don't know shit.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
We talk about how the fighter pack doesn't need more JRPG sword guys, but I look at Crash in the same way. We don't need two cartoony 90s platforming mascots in the same fighters pass.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I have to agree that Dixie's absence feels all the more noticeable now that Banjo got in. Honestly though, I can't say it upsets me. At the very least Dixie, Cranky and Funky got new life in Tropical Freeze and K. Rool and Banjo got their long awaited returns in Smash.

Call me crazy, but I feel like Dixie is such an easy echo of Diddy (give her DK"s up-b with a pony-tail spin, gumball popgun from Tropical Freeze), that even if no other echo DLC happens, they might just toss Dixie in as a last minute bonus value incentive to push people who still have not bought the fighters pass once all the characters have been announced.

She is absolutely the most glaring omission when it comes to first party Nintendo characters, and I think Sakurai and his team are at least partially aware of this.

And I agree; Crash would be pretty big in Japan. Crash 2 was suriprising a hit over there (and no other game in the series has matched the JP sales for that game).

Crash's Japanese design in the modern remake trilogy is so glaringly weird next to all the other western style characters... I really wonder if they could just sweep it under the rug with a R.O.B. style regional difference of default skin.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Broke: Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie and Nuts & Bolts tracks in Smash

Woke: Diddy Kong Racing tracks in Smash

Call me crazy, but I feel like Dixie is such an easy echo of Diddy (give her DK"s up-b with a pony-tail spin, gumball popgun from Tropical Freeze), that even if no other echo DLC happens, they might just toss Dixie in as a last minute bonus value incentive to push people who still have not bought the fighters pass once all the characters have been announced.

She is absolutely the most glaring omission when it comes to first party Nintendo characters, and I think Sakurai and his team are at least partially aware of this.

Crash's Japanese design in the modern remake trilogy is so glaringly weird next to all the other western style characters... I really wonder if they could just sweep it under the rug with a R.O.B. style regional difference of default skin.

I have to agree. A thought that's went through my mind is maybe Dixie, Cranky and Funky are viewed as more as side characters by Nintendo. Cranky and Funky absolutely are, but Dixie's debatable. It's kind of like how nobody is complaining about why Slippy and Peppy are missing, despite them being core members of the Star Fox team.

Crash would be incredible. I'm positive Sakurai and his team would do his Western and Japanese designs justice. I just think his revival came a bit too late after the ballot. There's always hope Nintendo considered him after the N-Sane trilogy blew up in the west.

Last edited:

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like using Luminary as the default was a concession Sakurai was willing to make if it meant getting Dragon Quest into the game. It's weird that the characters go from XI to III to IV to VIII instead of starting with III and ending at XI.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Building off an earlier post of mine, I think I have Hero figured out. I've added a few predictions* to fill in the missing moves.

B - Sizzle (fire beam) / Psyche Up (next attack has a Special Zoom and does a lot more damage) / Oomph (brief damage buff) / Snooze (projectile that puts the opponent to sleep)
>B - Zap (chargeable lightning) / Frizz (chargeable fireball) / Kacrackle Slash (freezing sword strike) / Miracle Slash* (healing sword strike)
^B - Zoom (propulsion recovery) / Kaswoosh (wind recovery) / Evac* (teleport) / Falcon Slash* (two ascending sword strikes)
vB - Kaclang (turn to metal and take no damage) / Bounce (briefly deflect projectiles) / Kamikazee (sacrifice your own health to do massive damage) / Drain Magic* (sap the opponent's health to restore your MP)

By inputting the commands like any normal special you'll perform the first move on each list, but if you continue to hold B the command menu will pop up, and you can scroll to your desired special. Your most recently used special in any category will then become your default; if you hold B and select Snooze, simply tapping B next time will perform Snooze without having to access the menu.

Last edited:

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like using Luminary as the default was a concession Sakurai was willing to make if it meant getting Dragon Quest into the game. It's weird that the characters go from XI to III to IV to VIII instead of starting with III and ending at XI.

There was a post earlier (might've been yours, thread's moving too fast lol) that noted that Erdrick seemed to take the spotlight as soon as he was revealed as an alt. Erdrick's the one showcasing both the MP menu and the Final Smash.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo nudged him and went "Hey, could you please make the Luminary the face? We're trying really hard to market DQXI and could use the extra push." And Sakurai went along with it because fuck, he's getting to put Dragon Quest in the game, one small concession like that means nothing.

Building off an earlier post of mine, I think I have Hero figured out. I've added a few predictions* to fill in the missing moves.

B - Sizzle (fire beam) / Psyche Up (next attack has a Special Zoom and does a lot more damage) / Oomph (brief damage buff) / Snooze (projectile that puts the opponent to sleep)
>B - Zap (chargeable lightning) / Frizz (chargeable fireball) / Kacrackle Slash (freezing sword strike) / Miracle Slash* (healing sword strike)
^B - Zoom (propulsion recovery) / Kaswoosh (wind recovery) / Evac* (teleport) / Falcon Slash* (two ascending sword strikes)
vB - Kaclang (turn to metal and take no damage) / Bounce (briefly deflect projectiles) / Kamikazee (sacrifice your own health to do massive damage) / Drain Magic* (sap the opponent's health to restore your MP)

By inputting the commands like any normal special you'll perform the first move on each list, but if you continue to hold B the command menu will pop up, and you can scroll to your desired special. Your most recently used special in any category will then become your default; if you hold B and select Snooze, simply tapping B next time will perform Snooze without having to access the menu.

My expectations exactly. It's essentially Shulk's Monado Arts on steroids, though balanced by the MP meter.

Only question now is how you replenish it. Inkling introduced the idea of Shield + B but I can't imagine it being that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.