• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad we are still at the "PC gaming rep" stage in Smash and not mobile game rep yet. :shudder:

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Now I'm pretty "eh" on buying any future Activision-Blizzard games. At least all the Crash/Spyro remakes came out before they started bowing to a fascist genocidal regime.

It's nice that everyone is pushing back against Blizzard but people seem to forgot all of gaming is effected by China. Where do you think Switches are made? For fuck's sake Nintendo is partnering with Tencent for the official launch of Nintendo Switch in China. Blizzard only has deep history with China because of a fluke: For decades consoles were banned in China and so PC/Mobile gaming had a monopoly on China. Blizzard of course is a titan in PC gaming. They did not have to compete with many other companies in the early to mid 2000s PC market as most other big AAA companies abandoned the PC space. So the 2000s Chinese computer cafes were their's for the taking.

But make no mistake now that consoles are legal and the success of Steam there everyone wants in on China.

Again, this is kind of standard fare at this point, they're just out in the open doing it as opposed to behind closed doors. I have no doubts these companies haven't spent the past several years bowing down to the Chinese market in the hope of making it in, so I'd say most of their recent releases are already tainted.

Yes. All these companies want that Chinese consumer money. Hell even liberal free speech loving anything goes Valve is launching a local censored Chinese version of Steam. This is even after many of Steam's community features were blocked in China.

I hope all of these people boycotting Blizzard also boycott the Playstation 5 and next Xbox too.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that everyone is pushing back against Blizzard but people seem to forgot all of gaming is effected by China. Where do you think Switches are made? For fuck's sake Nintendo is partnering with Tencent for the official launch of Nintendo Switch in China. Blizzard only has deep history with China because of a fluke: For decades consoles were banned in China and so PC/Mobile gaming had a monopoly on China. Blizzard of course is a titan in PC gaming. They did not have to compete with many other companies in the early to mid 2000s PC market as most other big AAA companies abandoned the PC space. So the 2000s Chinese computer cafes were their's for the taking.

But make no mistake now that consoles are legal and the success of Steam there everyone wants in on China.

Yes. All these companies want that Chinese consumer money. Hell even liberal free speech loving anything goes Valve is launching a local censored Chinese version of Steam. This is even after many of Steam's community features were blocked in China.

I hope all of these people boycotting Blizzard also boycott the Playstation 5 and next Xbox too.
This conversation has already been had elsewhere, but this is more or less, "Ah, you participate in society despite criticizing it. How curious.jpg" It's undeniable that much of what we use in our daily lives has some manner of origin in Chinese production or manufacturing. That's a consequence of a lot of sociopolitical and economic factors, and it's not something that we can just cut ourselves away from full-stop. But we can call out and criticize Blizzard for specifically defending the Chinese government and silencing support of the protests in Hong Kong. This isn't "Oh, you use an iPhone. How quaint your arguments are." This is "Blizzard very specifically targeted a Hearthstone player for censorship and crossed a very sensitive line."

You can want Tracer in Smash, but people can also be uncomfortable with the prospect given what Blizzard has very publicly done.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What is with this rampant whataboutism. "But Nintendo! But Sony! But Microsoft!"

So I guess the only way to show support for Hong Kong now is to boycott the entire video game industry? Oh I better check my car too and make sure none of the parts were manufactured in China. Better throw out my phone too! Heck why not boycott capitalistic society and live on a farm in the middle of nowhere while we are at it!

China is so ingrained into the global economy that being involved in some aspect of it is unavoidable. You are relaying a defeatist viewpoint that consumer action against Blizzard will be ineffectual, yet ignore why people are upset and targeting Blizzard and not the hundreds of other corporations that do business with China.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
But we can call out and criticize Blizzard for specifically defending the Chinese government and silencing support of the protests in Hong Kong

By doing business in China a company is choosing to support China's government. They're providing tax dollars to them and normalizing having relations with them. If I willingly choose to shop at a store of a notorious racist shop keeper how can I say I don't support racism?

No one company HAS to do business in China. They all made a choice.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
China is so ingrained into the global economy that being involved in some aspect of it is unavoidable. You are relaying a defeatist viewpoint that consumer action against Blizzard will be ineffectual, yet ignore why people are upset and targeting Blizzard and not the hundreds of other corporations that do business with China.

Consumer action can be strong. I'm glad Blizzard is getting the heat for their evil actions. So should all the other companies chasing Chinese/Tencent money.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So these are the results of that big community fan poll that Sabi and Scott the Woz did

Man, no one really gives a shit about Dixie, huh. Even Isaac who got hard deconfirmed with an AT is still holding strong.

I remember some people saying that Banjo and K. Rool supporters would then move on to Dixie now that the former two are in, but...I guess not lol. Sad.

Hey, she technically charted in a sea overrun with third party characters, I'll take that as a win. Technically like fifth or sixth (depending on how you count Geno) if you just count first party! We're going to the top, baby!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
By doing business in China a company is choosing to support China's government. They're providing tax dollars to them and normalizing having relations with them. If I willingly choose to shop at a store of a notorious racist shop keeper how can I say I don't support racism?

No one company HAS to do business in China. They all made a choice.
That's some serious whataboutism.

I know you're one of the biggest Tracer for Smash fans here, and I sympathize with that, but this isn't a good look.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Yet by bringing up "all the other companies" that deserve our attention, you are shifting the heat off Blizzard and normalizing their actions.

That's the thing Blizzard's actions are already normal. Companies have decided to look the other way when dealing with China. Blizzard made the mistake of openly showing these widespread core values. The thing is it should't take a meme-ready fuckup for people to demand companies stand up to China.

Hell this isn't even the first time Blizzard bowed to China. Chinese OW servers already ban a shit ton of words and phrases like Winnie the Pooh.

That's some serious whataboutism.

I know you're one of the biggest Tracer for Smash fans here, and I sympathize with that, but this isn't a good look.

This has nothing to to do with Smash. This is much bigger than a stupid video game. We need to make it clear through protest and voting that companies shouldn't use the excuse of "making money" when dealing with China. If any company cares about liberal values they should stand up to China.

This Blizzard thing could be a spring board to great change.

Aug 12, 2019
What is with this rampant whataboutism. "But Nintendo! But Sony! But Microsoft!"

So I guess the only way to show support for Hong Kong now is to boycott the entire video game industry? Oh I better check my car too and make sure none of the parts were manufactured in China. Better throw out my phone too! Heck why not boycott capitalistic society and live on a farm in the middle of nowhere while we are at it!

I mean, yeah, that's kind of the best idea and plan all around. You'll have a marginally better chance of surviving climate change if you're self-sustaining at least lol.

I think we're trying to point out that this isn't some isolated incident and that all of the behind the shadows work that companies have done with China is absolutely as bad. It is inherently hypocritical to call out one and then not acknowledge the others and their own rampant appeasement of Chinese sensitivities with regards to their own authoritarianism. People are jumping down Activision Blizzard's throat for good reason and yes, this is their event that they have to own from a PR perspective. But what about when the dust settles on this particular moment? Are people going to actually start recognizing all of this shit that has been in practically plain sight for ages and start actively pushing against them? Or will they continue to ignore this continued support of the Chinese government behind closed doors because it's not public and thus easier to push from their mind?

Again, part of that is a personal accountability, but I have to remind people, video games and all entertainment are the most optional parts of consumerism you can engage with. There's so much to do with your time in the world, and so many things you can support without turning to major corporations and their products. Things like vehicles, food, and building materials are much more essential components of modern life that you cannot live practically without. Video games are different. You can drop them and find other hobbies, or just play games that are produced by independent developers. It's why this whole "you participate in society while criticizing it" is a bullshit false equivalency. You have choice in regards to entertainment, you don't have any or none that are financially responsible in many other sectors of life (as in, you have to spend absurd amounts of money to avoid the problems with foreign made goods, or actively work to transport them from far away places in many instances). If you want to be serious about your boycotts of Chinese supporting companies (basically all of which would engage in less public, but equally destructive behavior in the name of profit from the large Chinese gaming market), there's an actual path to it that won't even really effect your life besides missing out on certain titles.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a time for us to just say it out loud, just please take those Blizzard Activision debates to correct thread because it's getting off the point. It's obviously that it's not about Crash and Tracer anymore so I know some people just don't agree with some people's attitudes and it would continues for many posts so just don't.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, that's kind of the best idea and plan all around. You'll have a marginally better chance of surviving climate change if you're self-sustaining at least lol.

I think we're trying to point out that this isn't some isolated incident and that all of the behind the shadows work that companies have done with China is absolutely as bad. It is inherently hypocritical to call out one and then not acknowledge the others and their own rampant appeasement of Chinese sensitivities with regards to their own authoritarianism. People are jumping down Activision Blizzard's throat for good reason and yes, this is their event that they have to own from a PR perspective. But what about when the dust settles on this particular moment? Are people going to actually start recognizing all of this shit that has been in practically plain sight for ages and start actively pushing against them? Or will they continue to ignore this continued support of the Chinese government behind closed doors because it's not public and thus easier to push from their mind?

Again, part of that is a personal accountability, but I have to remind people, video games and all entertainment are the most optional parts of consumerism you can engage with. There's so much to do with your time in the world, and so many things you can support without turning to major corporations and their products. Things like vehicles, food, and building materials are much more essential components of modern life that you cannot live practically without. Video games are different. You can drop them and find other hobbies, or just play games that are produced by independent developers. It's why this whole "you participate in society while criticizing it" is a bullshit false equivalency. You have choice in regards to entertainment, you don't have any or none that are financially responsible in many other sectors of life (as in, you have to spend absurd amounts of money to avoid the problems with foreign made goods, or actively work to transport them from far away places in many instances). If you want to be serious about your boycotts of Chinese supporting companies (basically all of which would engage in less public, but equally destructive behavior in the name of profit from the large Chinese gaming market), there's an actual path to it that won't even really effect your life besides missing out on certain titles.

Stop digging this bullshit whataboutism hole you keep going into. All this over something as small as whether people don't want to see Crash/Tracer in a Smash Bros. game of all things over today's news.

Your suggestions at this point are concern trolling about social issues and can be summed up as that Era or anyone who cares about what happened must reject all pop culture or entertainment (China's hands are in everything now) if they want to send Blizzard a message.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a time for us to just say it out loud, just please take those Blizzard Activision debates to correct thread because it's getting off the point. It's obviously that it's not about Crash and Tracer anymore so I know some people just don't agree with some people's attitudes and it would continues for many posts so just don't.

Sorry, just saw this. I'll keep this conversation out of the thread.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm definitely going to take it as a good sign that Dixie is in like the top five of first party requests.

I think Isaac might have some commonality with K.Rool and Banjo supporters, though, for being a well liked piece of Nintendo history that Nintendo doesn't seem too keen on celebrating.

Then we got Waddle Dee, who's got some of the Kirby fanbase's thirst for a new character to back him up, and then Waluigi and Rex being genuine popular requests. Dixie's in good company, I don't see that poll as a loss for her at all.

The real loser is anyone from ARMs.

Aug 12, 2019
Stop digging this bullshit whataboutism hole you keep going into. All this over something as small as whether people don't want to see Crash/Tracer in a Smash Bros. game of all things over today's news.

Your suggestions at this point are concern trolling about social issues and can be summed up as that Era or anyone who cares about what happened must reject all pop culture or entertainment (China's hands are in everything now) if they want to send Blizzard a message.

You're still missing my actual points. One of my main points is that this is not something new and Activision Blizzard have been deplorable for ages and I don't really see how people could have been supportive of Crash/Tracer previously when so much blatant abuse was on display from them before hand if this moment was so terrible and revelatory (and it is bad, but in line with their overall approach and far too many other companies' approaches to involvement with China sadly). The rest is a commentary on how people so infrequently put their money where their mouth is on the internet and somewhat of a frustration with people not pushing in other areas (that seem more important to me than the video gaming sphere) for support of Hong Kong. This needs to be the start of recognizing injustices committed by the game industry and working towards disenfranchising companies that invest so heavily in Tencent and other Chinese companies that are bad. If all this outrage just dies with Activision Blizzard's incident, then there's very little actually achieved and it becomes just another outrage incident on a pile of outrage incidents. I'm not concern trolling, I'm telling people to examine their own beliefs and own them with ferocity. I'm also not saying that people aren't justified in their frustrations and outrage. In fact, I've reiterated that point in my posts multiple times. Maybe this is where the dam finally breaks for a lot of people in this more specific regard of Chinese involvement in big name video games, and I would hope that to be the case... But it can't stop here and there are so many more fights to be had with this specific topic in terms of actual improvement of the gaming industry. This is partially born from a frustration of seeing this specific brazen event having to be the sort of thing that gets people properly riled up.

I'll stop there and we won't continue, but I'm not going to let you write me off as trolling and mis-characterize what I'm trying to say. There's more nuance to what I'm actually saying in my posts, and if I'm not coming off correctly, forgive me for being tired. It's not just Activision Blizzard that's a part of this problem, and there is a lot, a lot to deal with beyond them that has been in very plain sight for some time. We've got to actually deal with all of that too even if this instance of Actvision Blizzard is actively disgusting and brazen.

Sorry, I'm just tired all around TBH.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah I'm definitely going to take it as a good sign that Dixie is in like the top five of first party requests.

I think Isaac might have some commonality with K.Rool and Banjo supporters, though, for being a well liked piece of Nintendo history that Nintendo doesn't seem too keen on celebrating.

Then we got Waddle Dee, who's got some of the Kirby fanbase's thirst for a new character to back him up, and then Waluigi and Rex being genuine popular requests. Dixie's in good company, I don't see that poll as a loss for her at all.

The real loser is anyone from ARMs.

lol at that spoiler.

Yeah, as far as Nintendo characters go, Dixie is still a popular request. I hold out hope for a surprise. She would essentially "complete" the roster for me.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
reminder that King Boo should be a fighter in Smash

9vny6FI.gif

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I can only support King Boo if he phases through walls and solid platforms instead of bouncing off of them

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Honestly I think the biggest kick in the pants for people here should be Isaac's placement. Every time Golden Sun/Isaac gets brought up people are quick to shoot it down as "not that popular/loud minority" but even with Isaac stuck in AT Hell he's still far and away the top first party choice.

If we get AT promotions, Isaac will almost certainly be amongst them. Hopefully the fanbase keeps pushing and we see it happen.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to talk about special Boos with their crowns, then you're forgetting someone.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'm not a big fan of smash as in I don't keep up with each update but I wanted to know if and when will Nintendo release a deep analysis of Terry bogard dlcs details.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If you're going to talk about special Boos with their crowns, then you're forgetting someone.

Looking forward to Nintendo making them canon when they run out of things to add to Mario Kart Tour.

Of course, by "run out" I mean they still won't add E. Gadd or any spin-off characters.

Guys I'm not a big fan of smash as in I don't keep up with each update but I wanted to know if and when will Nintendo release a deep analysis of Terry bogard dlcs details.
Terry is scheduled to release in November, so the presentation about him should release within that month (shortly before he actually releases).

Status
Not open for further replies.