• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I have a jar labeled "Smash Costume Money" with a screenshot of Outset Island Toon Link taped to it stuffed to the brim with quarters and dollar coins. I fear I may never spend it.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
the power of smash bros

E7Ycj5v.gif

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
So since there's not a lot to discuss right now, I figured I'd bring this up and see what people think.

The roster in Smash Bros is to the point where the thing that interests me most about new characters isn't so much the new movesets as it is seeing a new character. In fact the whole thing about making new characters stand out with unique features such as Hero's and Joker's down specials kinda reduces the hype for me. The characters' uniqueness makes them more difficult to just pick up and play.

By all means, I wouldn't want every character to feel unremarkable, but it's to the point where I'd prefer a lot of new content to focus on echoes, costumes, or less complex new characters. For instance, a Toon Zelda could reuse some of Toon Link's animations and feature attacks from both Link and Zelda's movesets. Shadow could be an easy reworking of Sonic. Dry Bowser could be added as a costume. Mrs. Pac-Man could be either a costume or an echo. Funky Kong could be an echo. Etc . . .

Obviously I wouldn't want them to cease making any original characters. However I just don't feel as hyped for the new characters anymore because it's such a long cycle for a character that I'll most likely dabble with a bit before returning to my typical picks.

I guess I'd say the thing that excited me the most is seeing more of gaming represented, moreso than seeing more diverse movesets. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Obviously I wouldn't want them to cease making any original characters. However I just don't feel as hyped for the new characters anymore because it's such a long cycle for a character that I'll most likely dabble with a bit before returning to my typical picks.
See, this is why I've never been too committed to my main. It's always Falco, no matter the game (sans 64), but at the expense of never really becoming incredible with him in a given iteration, I can play a good deal of almost every other character without feeling any particular pressure to return to him. So I always play a lot of a new character when they come out, and then incorporate them into my back and forth between Falco and good ol' Random like everyone else.

But to answer your other question... sort of? I mostly just want to see characters I have a personal affinity for. I'm less concerned with whether those characters are "important" enough to "represent" in Smash as a museum of significant gaming figures.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
See, this is why I've never been too committed to my main. It's always Falco, no matter the game (sans 64), but at the expense of never really becoming incredible with him in a given iteration, I can play a good deal of almost every other character without feeling any particular pressure to return to him. So I always play a lot of a new character when they come out, and then incorporate them into my back and forth between Falco and good ol' Random like everyone else.

But to answer your other question... sort of? I mostly just want to see characters I have a personal affinity for. I'm less concerned with whether those characters are "important" enough to "represent" in Smash as a museum of significant gaming figures.

Yeah, I used to random all the time. I even went random at a tournament, against another guy who said he'd play random if I did, in one of my favorite moments ever (I ended up with Mega Man and he ended up with Fox in one of the three matches. That one hurt). However it's to the point that's not really sustainable if I want to remain good at the game and don't have time to play all the time. With 77 characters, even if you're playing 3 minute matches you'd have to play over a half hour every day just to play as each character an average of once a week. Nowadays I just feel like I like seeing more characters represented over anything else. I'm all for new movesets here and there but it feels like they're really tried for something unique with each piece of DLC and I personally would be fine if we saw some costumes, echoes, or characters who were part-rehashes/semi-clones. Not necessarily for every piece of DLC, but at least mixed in there somewhere.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
My Gamer license was revoked a long while ago

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say it is from a game in the Professor Layton series. Probably not correct.

It's from Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town.

Pete/Jack for Smash Bros!

Harvest Moon.

I googled the text in the image >.< I know nothing about Harvest Moon.
Yup, Correct!

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I forgot I made this, I don't think I posted it here so here you go!
This took way too long to make but I did it because I love York

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I forgot I made this, I don't think I posted it here so here you go!
This took way too long to make but I did it because I love York

God, that deeply unsettling smile is so good.

My one disappointment in that clip is that they didn't keep the phrase "FK... in the coffee!" just with "SMASH BROTHERS" poorly dubbed in and feeding back into the mic.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So since there's not a lot to discuss right now, I figured I'd bring this up and see what people think.

The roster in Smash Bros is to the point where the thing that interests me most about new characters isn't so much the new movesets as it is seeing a new character. In fact the whole thing about making new characters stand out with unique features such as Hero's and Joker's down specials kinda reduces the hype for me. The characters' uniqueness makes them more difficult to just pick up and play.

By all means, I wouldn't want every character to feel unremarkable, but it's to the point where I'd prefer a lot of new content to focus on echoes, costumes, or less complex new characters. For instance, a Toon Zelda could reuse some of Toon Link's animations and feature attacks from both Link and Zelda's movesets. Shadow could be an easy reworking of Sonic. Dry Bowser could be added as a costume. Mrs. Pac-Man could be either a costume or an echo. Funky Kong could be an echo. Etc . . .

I guess I'd say the thing that excited me the most is seeing more of gaming represented, moreso than seeing more diverse movesets. Does anyone else feel the same way?

More unique characters means more chances for Sakurai and his team to get really creative, as well as have creative new enemies to face. I'm pretty much set in stone with my mains as K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie, so having new characters that I am unlikely to main doesn't matter to me. It's nice to see new fighting styles, especially seeing others get excited about them and discover their new main. Most of the kinds of characters I want to see would not be echo material anyway. Characters from new series also bring in new stages, music, and Spirits.

I want this game to continue to be the boldest and most ambitious crossover of all time, and echoes just don't do that.

Sakurai got sent some fan art from overseas.

Man, so crazy to see characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie in fanart that is promoted by Sakurai. He must be really proud of what he's accomplished. He absolutely should be.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai got sent some fan art from overseas.

You know it's funny, sometimes I look at the character select screen and the smash mural and forget just how large the cast is. Almost like my mind downplays it.

And then I get reminders like this where I realize "Oh yeah, holy shit. There's a TON of characters in this game."

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Hit the "Buy it now" button. You'll see on the DLC page Terry now says "Coming Soon".

Also man, there's part of me wondering if Resident Evil is next and they specifically timed an announcement for Halloween.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Hit the "Buy it now" button. You'll see on the DLC page Terry now says "Coming Soon".

Also man, there's part of me wondering if Resident Evil is next and they specifically timed an announcement for Halloween.
Terry has been on that DLC page for awhile now, I checked fairly recently.

Unless they changed the text from 'November 2019' to 'Coming Soon'?

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
What did they update exactly?

smashbros.nintendo.com

Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch™ home gaming system – Buy now

Find out how to pre-purchase Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch™ home gaming system

Credits to Ozzy

Date for Site Update
OuRQvBE.png

Before
s4F9cEH.png

After
aTwWgEb.png

Before vs After for characters (They actually fixed weird issue with Banjo-Kazooie)
SZwDtXo.png

They changed the name of files for some reason

CJzmjIr.png

Went from /assets/bg-individual-dlc.png to assets/bg-challengerBlade.png

Also more example of changes

beW0Gor.png

Before
s4F9cEH.png

After
aTwWgEb.png

TDLR: Getting ready for upcoming release of Terry Bogard, 5th character, and wave 2 character(s).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
smashbros.nintendo.com

Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch™ home gaming system – Buy now

Find out how to pre-purchase Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch™ home gaming system

Credits to Ozzy

Date for Site Update
OuRQvBE.png

Before
s4F9cEH.png

After
aTwWgEb.png

Before vs After for characters (They actually fixed weird issue with Banjo-Kazooie)
SZwDtXo.png

CJzmjIr.png

beW0Gor.png

Before
s4F9cEH.png

After
aTwWgEb.png

TDLR: Getting ready for upcoming release of Terry Bogard, 5th character, and wave 2 character(s).

Holy shit.

Is is happening?

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
smashbros.nintendo.com

Credits to Ozzy

Date for Site Update
OuRQvBE.png

Before
s4F9cEH.png

After
aTwWgEb.png

SZwDtXo.png

CJzmjIr.png

beW0Gor.png

Before
s4F9cEH.png

After
aTwWgEb.png

Oh-yes-yes-yes-GIF.gif

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
More unique characters means more chances for Sakurai and his team to get really creative, as well as have creative new enemies to face. I'm pretty much set in stone with my mains as K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie, so having new characters that I am unlikely to main doesn't matter to me. It's nice to see new fighting styles, especially seeing others get excited about them and discover their new main. Most of the kinds of characters I want to see would not be echo material anyway. Characters from new series also bring in new stages, music, and Spirits.

I want this game to continue to be the boldest and most ambitious crossover of all time, and echoes just don't do that.

I personally would just prefer a mix. There's a lot of low-hanging fruit, so to speak, such as Funky Kong (echo) and Dry Bowser (alt skin), or for new characters like Shadow.

Compared to craft a ng a brand new and unique moveset, o can't imagine it would take nearly as much work. Sure, Sakurai would want to check in on things, but it seems like the type of thing that could be worked on with little input from him.

I feel like a lot of potential alternative skins could be put together by the team making Mii costumes even. I'd gladly shell out a few dollars for packs of alternative skins such as Toon pyjama Link, other BOTW armor sets for regular link, etc . . .

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I can only guess, but I think it's the site's way of breaking up the character profiles in the code. Piranha Plant has a "ChallengerBlade" heading as well. It seems like they are creating listings for three individual DLC characters.

I think those three "challengers_blades" are Joker, Hero and BK. It's a class where they would apply the styles to certain sections that were under the effect of the codes.

Edited: They updated everything to make it easier for them to add more dlc characters so I wonder if they are working on new styles/classes to divide them between Wave 1 and Wave 2 to avoid the confusion for some customers. (not like people would read those fine prints in those descriptions)

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
smashbros.nintendo.com

Credits to Ozzy

Date for Site Update
OuRQvBE.png

Before
s4F9cEH.png

After
aTwWgEb.png

SZwDtXo.png

CJzmjIr.png

beW0Gor.png

Before
s4F9cEH.png

After
aTwWgEb.png

Sorry but where does it mention that 5th Character + wave 2 is in? I don't see it in the coding.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but where does it mention that 5th Character + wave 2 is in? I don't see it in the coding.

I didn't say that. Please read my comment again carefully.

I'm saying that they are reworking on the class style because they probably want to get ready for more contents to be share on the website and they even reworks on few things so I guess it's there to simplified the workload for them.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Sans before he became SansUndertale
Now whenever Deltarune comes out and I see Sans im just going to be thinking of memes

Status
Not open for further replies.