• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
i don't really mind touhou, but i'd like for reimu to get in just so i can read everyone getting pissed off for no reason once more.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
If Touhou gets in, it absolutely would get a shit ton of tracks. The music is arguably the most iconic thing about the series.
I would want Reimu solely because of Touhou music
also Sakuya spirit

i don't really mind touhou, but i'd like for reimu to get in just so i can read everyone getting pissed off for no reason once more.
Take any character that's not on the American column of the Twitter top ten list, and there will be salt.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Reimu's projectiles would have to be like Fox lasers right? Like no knockback, just damage? Could be slightly slower but like in a spreadshot. A shmup character would be fun regardless of origin.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"No Microsoft Mii costumes" is one of the easiest things to guess/predict.
If/When Crash gets in, I can predict no Spyro costumes too.

Not really. The discourse surrounding Banjo was that he'd get Rare costumes with him, instead we got a slew of unrelated costumes.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Reasons for wanting a character tier list:

Broke —
You actually like the character
Joke —
You think they'd have a cool moveset
Toke —
You like their music
Bespoke —
It'll make other people mad

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Touhou feels like something that Sakurai might have entertained in the Melee or Brawl days, but I can't imagine the full weight of modern Smash Bros. funding and marketing being put behind a one-man indie series that is virtually unknown outside of Japan. It's not even remotely comparable to Dragon Quest, which has sold millions in the West and is a flagship series of one of gaming's biggest publishers.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Touhou feels like something that Sakurai might have entertained in the Melee or Brawl days, but I can't imagine the full weight of modern Smash Bros. funding and marketing being put behind a one-man indie series that is virtually unknown outside of Japan. It's not even remotely comparable to Dragon Quest, which has sold millions in the West and is a flagship series of one of gaming's biggest publishers.
Didn't know what it was until the recent speculation.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Touhou were to get in, I wouldn't expect that it'd get in through a DLC character where people would have to pay up to $6 or more just for this character. It seems like a 3rd party series to get in the base game, where Nintendo doesn't have to worry about people who don't know the series at all not purchasing it because they'll recognize the other characters.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
No one guessed Banjo would come with no Microsoft/Rare Mii Costumes; in fact, the opposite was common bet everywhere, and absolutely no one would say we'd get such unrelated costumes with him, especially Team Rocket Grunt, Goemon and specific two returning Mega Man costumes.

Crash wouldn't have Spyro related costumes, btw. At best he'd be a Spirit, I suppose (and no Spyro content at is more likely than anything). But that is as much close expecting the returning Fighting Games Mii Costumes would come with Terry... and that isn't a safe bet anymore.

Heck, the alleged SMRPG costumes could come with Terry after all

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Don't know if we still trust Sabi here, but she is apparently now saying one of her sources who knew about Terry in advance says Hayabusa and Crash are not character #5

image0.jpg

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Didn't know what it was until the recent speculation.

I was aware of the characters in the periphery, but did not know they actually originated from a video game until this speculation cycle. Never saw them come up during the Smash 4 ballot discussions.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
if people complained about Terry and SNK being unknown (which they aren't by any means), imagine the reaction of anything Touhou getting in Smash? :p

I wouldn't mind, particularly, but it certainly is not a series in the radar for most

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
On one hand I agree, on the other: Lucas, Roy, and Pit tho

Lucas was part of an established first party IP and Sakurai has said he wouldn't have put him in if he knew Mother 3 wouldn't be localized. Kid Icarus was a cult classic and sold a million units and even had Pit in an American cartoon, and Roy was a clone.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Touhou? Talk about small-time -- hard pass.

Don't know if we still trust Sabi here, but she is apparently now saying one of her sources who knew about Terry in advance says Hayabusa and Crash are not character #5

image0.jpg

Now this I can get behind! I'd dig Ryu or Crash, but it's always fun when Smash's character announcements take a wrecking ball to speculation.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
KOS-MOS is a dumb Smash community bubble choice just as much as the likes of Reimu and Shantae are

Just sayin'.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see KOS-MOS as an impossibility, especially if someone doing the picks recognizes the lack of female fighters and wants to give Namco another character for developing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.