• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Sora. I wouldn't mind 2B but I just have a hard time seeing it happen, I honestly think there's been issues with getting Geno in because if there wasn't it would have happened by now, and I never believed in Lara Croft's chances (not while she's owned by Square).

And again, Edea is the best.
I don't think there's a lot holding 2B back. Imo it wouldn't take much to edit her for good girls and boys even if Yoko Taro will make a video publicly denouncing Sakurai for nerfing her.......assets as a joke

As for Geno, I think it's more if a case why would SE bother if they have other stuff to choose from that actually does more for them. And Nintendo may feel he isn't worth pushing on SE over.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lara does have history with Nintendo, as far back as the Game Boy Color in fact. It's not to the level of Banjo, but still. Plus she's one of the most prolific female characters in gaming.
I mean having a strong mind share as a Nintendo property not just having games on Nintendo systems.

And no offense but it should be clear by now that her being one of the most prolific female characters in history means jack didley. Maybe if western characters becomes MUCH more common going forward I'd be more positive of her odds but right now I don't see any scenario where they go back to Square and ask for Lara. We'll sooner see a second Final Fantasy character.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly, Sora. I wouldn't mind 2B but I just have a hard time seeing it happen, I honestly think there's been issues with getting Geno in because if there wasn't it would have happened by now, and I never believed in Lara Croft's chances (not while she's owned by Square).

And again, Edea is the best.
But unlike the other three, Sora has a giant mouse in the room holding back his chances. And if Imran's post means what I think it means...
Imran said:
I am willing to bet at this point that Sora is not for lack of trying.
...Nintendo & Sakurai may have already tried & failed to get Sora in Smash (likely due to Disney).

I mean having a strong mind share as a Nintendo property not just having games on Nintendo systems.

And no offense but it should be clear by now that her being one of the most prolific female characters in history means jack didley. Maybe if western characters becomes MUCH more common going forward I'd be more positive of her odds but right now I don't see any scenario where they go back to Square and ask for Lara. We'll sooner see a second Final Fantasy character.
Even then, I'd still put Lara's chances above Sora, mostly in part due to not having to deal with Disney.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
But unlike the other three, Sora has a giant mouse in the room holding back his chances. And if Imran's post means what I think it means...
I mean, my takeaway here is that none of them are particularly likely, but they'd try the hardest to get Sora.

Also I think Imran's post was just a guess (though a reasonable one).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

...Nintendo & Sakurai may have already tried & failed to get Sora in Smash (likely due to Disney).

Even then, I'd still put Lara's chances above Sora, mostly in part due to not having to deal with Disney.
I feel like Disney isn't as strict with KH. They seem perfectly fine shelling out their properties to things like Fortnite so if there willing to let Nomura's wild ride continue I feel like it wouldn't be an issue.

That's the problem with only knowing details through hearsay.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I feel like Disney isn't as strict with KH. They seem perfectly fine shelling out their properties to things like Fortnite so if there willing to let Nomura's wild ride continue I feel like it wouldn't be an issue.

That's the problem with only knowing details through hearsay.
I'll dig through the archives later when I'm not on my phone, but shortly after Bayo was announced Sakurai said in an interview that the only characters that beat Bayo in the ballot were veterans that wouldn't work due to licensing or technical issues (so Ice Climbers and Snake) and new third party characters that they tried to get and couldn't.

The list of third party characters that possibly won the ballot but then couldn't be secured seems pretty small to me, so I've always assumed he had to be talking about Sora there. No other character is so popular while also being owned by someone who might not play nice other than maaaaybe Simon, but I still doubt he won over Sora.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
So people say Rex can't be in cause his game is "irrelevant" since it released too long ago, but I'm supposed to believe Nintendo wants to put in 2B despite Nier: Automata being older? Whatever

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I think the problem is that Nintendo wouldn't want a time limited license for Smash, and Disney mostly seems to deal with that.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Reminding Lara Croft's timeline on Nintendo hardware ~
PLACEHOLDER-3-LARA-CROFT.png

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
So people say Rex can't be in cause his game is "irrelevant" since it released too long ago, but I'm supposed to believe Nintendo wants to put in 2B despite Nier: Automata being older? Whatever
A character from a series that rotates its cast every game and whose company has already moved on to the next project loses relevance faster than a character who still gets crossovers because she's so well-known and synonymous with her franchise, yes.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Nah, Rex isn't getting in because he's already a Mii costume.
(2B isn't getting in either though)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh that's something.Good for fans I guess but weird that Nintendo apparently didn't want to hold onto it or try a Switch port.
The game was less than a bomb. They don't see it as worth the investment.

That said right now I'm more inclined to believe they gave Platinum the okay to self-publish on at least Switch and PC, who knows if that extends to PS4/XBO.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
You're not talking about me are you because that's not what I said.

Naw, I was talking about some people telling me that Lara Croft can't be in because she never had their games on Nintendo like awhile ago. I forget their names but It's definitely not you. (at least, I hope it's not you)

Usually people that have either played only the Lara Croft reboot, or haven't played it since the PS1 (or never).

Meh, some old games are okay or good tho.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The game was less than a bomb. They don't see it as worth the investment.

That said right now I'm more inclined to believe they gave Platinum the okay to self-publish on at least Switch and PC, who knows if that extends to PS4/XBO.
Would that be the first Nintendo EPD (or EAD) game to be released on a non-Nintendo platform? It's pretty crazy to think about.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naw, I was talking about some people telling me that Lara Croft can't be in because she never had their games on Nintendo like awhile ago. I forget their names but It's definitely not you. (at least, I hope it's not you)

Meh, some old games are okay or good tho.
Ok that's fair I just wasn't sure and I know I tend to not vocalize myself well. Yeah Lara has Nintendo appearances.(Didn't know there was a GBC game though.)

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Just saying that people saying Lara hasn't been on Nintendo platforms haven't played many TR games/don't have much of an interest for it.

Hot Take: Most of Smash audiences probably don't play that much games anyway so that would make sense why they had low amounts of requested characters because they just don't dab into many games as most of us did here. Waluigi is more likely to be one of those candidate that most audience supported because they probably played Mario Kart as well.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Hot Take: Most of Smash audiences probably don't play that much games anyway so that would make sense why they had low amounts of requested characters because they just don't dab into many games as most of us did here. Waluigi is more likely to be one of those candidate that most audience supported because they probably played Mario Kart as well.
Oh yeah, we can see that with the higher than usual requests/fandoms for some relatively unknown characters (Geno is the posterboy) or some not that much liked (like Waluigi that you said), all first party focused.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
RE: If they were going to happen, they would have happened by now, ex Geno. I think it's more of a situation where it was they only are going to do one Square character at that point in time.

So it's basically a which do you pick?

Cloud vs Geno? Cloud wins because Cloud.

Hero vs Geno? Hero wins because Dragon Quest is massive in Japan.

I'd say both of those beat the effort it takes to get Sora. Even if Sora would be hypothetically easier to get than Cloud. They'd rather put all their time into those two first.

The question you have to ask now is, if Sora doesn't count as the "we can only pick one square character" pick. Who does Nintendo choose in the next match up?

If Sora counts (even if he's Disney owned and not SE owned) and they can get him? In a choice between Sora and Geno, Sora wins. No question.

If he doesn't, and/or they can't get him. They go to Geno vs 2B. Or Geno vs Lara. Which do they pick? Because Nintendo is well aware of the cult status for Geno. But obviously 2B is a new popular character like Joker.

The match up though gives better odds when Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest is off the table. (If Kingdom Hearts is on the table though, you're not winning)

Status
Not open for further replies.