• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
It sucks because the reasoning was the hat taunt but we didn't even get Terry throwing his hat off outside of the victory screen. I would have been okay with the trade off if he at least got that as a taunt.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind even Garou Terry fixing an invisible hat in his idle animations or throwing it during his victory screen

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Female Byleth only has a modified stance, idle pose, two taunts, and two victory poses that are conceptually identical to male Byleth's but look more feminine. It's similar to Inkling and Pokémon Trainer.

Garou Terry, on the other hand, would need:
  • modified jumping animations (he holds his cap in place on the way down)
  • modified up air attack (he holds his cap in place)
  • modified forward throw (he tips his cap)
  • modified back throw (he tips his cap)
  • modified Rising Tackle (he holds his cap in place)
  • modified Power Dunk (he turns his cap around)
  • brand new idle pose
  • brand new down taunt
  • three brand new victory poses

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Platinum is gonna have a rude awakening when they rerelease the game and it bombs again. The problem with TW101 was not the platform, but the core concept. If it didn't find a niche with Nintendo audiences it won't find a niche anywhere.
I mean, it's not any less accessible or compelling than any of their other pure character action games. Obviously that's not a huge bar to reach sales-wise, but if Astral Chain can sell decently then W101 should be able to.

W101 just came before Platinum had gained as much of a following (only 6 months after Revengence), didn't have a great marketing push, and was stuck on the Wii U. Pretty much a perfect storm of bomba.

Misuta

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Germany
I know it's not the same but at least they could have added the first design in Smash if they didn't want to pass on the hat. With SNK's generosity it could have been possible.
Url5zvg.jpg

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not any less accessible or compelling than any of their other pure character action games. Obviously that's not a huge bar to reach sales-wise, but if Astral Chain can sell decently then W101 should be able to.

W101 just came before Platinum had gained as much of a following (only 6 months after Revengence), didn't have a great marketing push, and was stuck on the Wii U. Pretty much a perfect storm of bomba.
It's a character action game with and isometric point of view that more closely resembles RTSes, but instead of having the ability to micromanage all of the player's units it demands responses with reaction times more akin to Bayonetta/Devil May Cry. All without the freedom of movement those games have due to the 2D plane most of the action is confined too. It tries to straddle the line between two very different genres while misunderstanding why the theme used for its world is appealing in the first place (let's make a bombastic super hero game! buuuuuuuuuuut all of the action is compartmentalised and minimised into a very small portion of the screen).

I think TW101 is most similar to Pikmin, so if there was any audience willing to try it out it was Nintendo's. And that just didn't happen.

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Garou Terry would also have to be a heavy weight because, as we all know and is very clearly obvious, he's a fatty and that's why he can't do the buster wolf anymore!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I hadn't heard Byleth's audience chant until today: "Goooooooo Teach!"

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So after playing basically nothing but Byleth for the past few days I do think the character flows better than people give their credit for. The problem is that their mobility does all it can to drag it down hard.

The character is actually just too slow. Their moveset is well done but her mobility really doesn't allow it to come together. Honestly I don't even know why Sakurai said this character is just barely more mobile than Robin when that's pretty much false when taking her entire mobility into account. Sure their Dash and run speed are barely better than Robin but their jump height and especially Air Speed are significantly worse. At least Robin had solid air speed so that in conjunction with their Levin Sword aerials meant that Robin could control space very well. Hell if Robin had a proper killing grab I think they could be high tier. But back on Byleth the poor air speed means that it's awkward for Byleth to control space with their aerials, which on paper should be very good at doing it, and especially gives them a terrible disadvantage state. It's like on every possible mobility stat they thought to give them some of the worst in the game without thinking it it's really necessary.

So currently I think Byleth is a mid tier due to having a solid gameplan with fundamentals and shield breaker gimmicks. Side B is damn good, sweet spot fair and bair are powerful, Nair is really solid, and their tilts are nice except for D Tilt as it's too slow to be that useful even as a combo option. I thought her D Smash wasn't that great but honestly I do think it ties their design well as it does give her more of an answer on shields even if it isn't reliable but if Byleth was able to chase down people better than they would be super scary when you have a low shield. There's other parts of their kit that I could be better at using such as Up B which I constantly forget about and works as an OOS option, anti air, and especially cheeky edge guard. Though with that said I hate how finnicky it can be at ledge and find your self at the perfect angle but Up B decides to grab the ledge despite not even facing against it.

Byleth needs some buffs to be at a proper state even if not necessarily high tier. Better Air Speed is the most important buff and I'd argue is necessary as it really drags her down to an unnecessary degree and I don't even think would break them. She could keep their ground speed but a better air speed would do so much for them. I'd also like Fair in particular to get a slightly bigger sweetspot and less end lag. I think this would be a nice QOL that would help their spacing game alot. D tilt should be faster like at least frame 10 so it works as a more consistent hard read option compared to F tilt which out classes it in every way. Also bigger hitbox to consistently 2 frame with and hit people at ledge. Up B having an option to hold the B Button to prioritize grabbing opponents rather than ledge. Also maybe a kill throw like Back Throw killing at ledge at like 130 or something. I think all of those would do good at making Byleth better without making them too oppressive.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the worst dream during my nap. Someone datamined Pass 2 data from a different Bandai Namco game and it was something like SMT4 guy, Fire Emblem antagonist who normally did magic but datamine said he had a sword now, some sort of Batman parody from KoF15 and three FF7 characters.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the worst dream during my nap. Someone datamined Pass 2 data from a different Bandai Namco game and it was something like SMT4 guy, Fire Emblem antagonist who normally did magic but datamine said he had a sword now, some sort of Batman parody from KoF15 and three FF7 characters.
I dunno this sounds pretty great

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
So what's the twist with the Wonderful 101 port that Emily was teasing? It sounds like something beyond just it coming to PC or PS4

God in one day I went from having written off ever hearing about one of my favorite games again to now anxiously waiting on the edge of my seat for some mysterious new announcement.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
If two of the FF7 characters are Tifa and Barret then them plus Flynn makes that pass sound pretty good for me.

So what's the twist with the Wonderful 101 port that Emily was teasing? It sounds like something beyond just it coming to PC or PS4

God in one day I went from having written off ever hearing about one of my favorite games again to now anxiously waiting on the edge of my seat for some mysterious new announcement.
Either the EGS exclusive guess everyone in the Direct thread is making or Nintendo still owns it but it comes to everything so people go nuts speculating if anything else of Nintendo's is gonna follow it are my guesses.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful 101 made TMS look like a blockbuster and people expect a port to do substantially better?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Wonderful 101 is the Moby Dick of video games. Sure Herman Melville died impoverished and unrecognized but in 150 years Kamiya will get the last laugh when it's taught in every university.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting on that glorious day we can play W101 without gamepad's shitty rumble.
So I'm pretty hype right now

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Oh God no.

I'm okay with three Final Fantasy characters as long as they're not from VII.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Tifa, Sephiroth, and Barrett.

Brawler, sword user, projectile character. Moveset and demographic diversity!

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A ground pound would have been an excellent movement option for Byleth. Their disadvantage state is terrible, particularly when trying to land. Plus, there is nothing to even do after using up special except land, since they get no follow ups.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fought a few Byleths for the first time.

They're as painfully generic as I figured they'd be but the Up-B using another character as a step is pretty cool.

Also I think I ran into a Smash youtuber and I accidentally SD'd so I might become internet famous.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
A ground pound would have been an excellent movement option for Byleth. Their disadvantage state is terrible, particularly when trying to land. Plus, there is nothing to even do after using up special except land, since they get no follow ups.
You can bounce people off platforms into a buffered Side B and other attacks depending on weight/damage/positioning and stuff.

It's not necessarily a consistent option but it is an option if you catch them in the right spot.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not smash-related youtuber, but still fun to see a more casual opinion and how it don't change much from the stuff we see here

1-Crash (he really thinks it is happening)
2- Spyro
3- Rayman
4- Travis Touchdown (also thinks it is really happening)
5- Eggman (or any other sonic rep)
6- Lara Croft
7- Ms Pacman (ok if it was an echo)
8- Shantae
9- Battletoads
10- Paperboy
11- Chun Li
12- Sub Zero
13- Sora (knows disney might be a pain)
14- Master Chief
15- Q*bert (most wanted, knows it is borderline impossible)

Love Black Nerd Comedy. Happy for the Shantae shout-out, and he knows his classic games so his choices didn't surprise me, even his joke picks. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.