• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
crazy how often people forget about our next bamco rep
61N0TtZbC2L._SX425_.jpg

digivolves between agumon and greymon like pokemon trainer

Accurate.

I can't believe they gave Jax's big dumb boot fatality to someone else.

That should be Jax's and Jax's alone.

Also accurate.

I don't think he'd be allowed to say anything if Scorpion were in Smash.

It's Ed Boon. Even if we assume this is a rule for everyone else, Boon does nothing but troll. If someone so much as egged him on, it'd be a dead giveaway if he didn't respond.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Joker gets delayed they still have to like
say
he's getting delayed
"Well, we've gone into extensive detail during this Smash Bros. Direct about a variety of modes and features coming in the next update, not to mention the cool new Mementos stage and the dynamic, versatile moveset of our latest newcomer Joker that will be available in the first Challenger Pack. We're happy to announce that this additional fighter will be available at the end of the month... of August! Please look forward to it."

SpectreJordan

Oct 26, 2017
It must be some weird mentality of not wanting to ruin the couch co-op experience. Every other Nintendo series has adopted online play.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
While I don't mind the Great Plateau Tower stage, I think a Van Medoh stage was the way to go with a BOTW stage for Smash. It could show off lots of different areas of Hyrule, and maybe even have Windblight Ganon as a stage boss/hazard.
On paper it sounds good at first, but Medoh was way up in the sky. They could change it up and make it fly low, allowing the world to be seen better, but they might be limited in what they could manage, performance-wise. Maybe it would've been fine, though. Now I'm curious about what's currently the most intensive stage in Smash...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If they ever did a full online Mario Party game, they should limit it to friends-only. I wouldn't trust playing a game like Mario Party for that long with a rando, with the chance of a rage quit disconnect always there.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah, I think the length of Mario Party games would keep online games from being a thing. Even a ten turn game could have people ragequit (although I guess they could put in a CPU for quitters).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
(Edit: THIS WAS NOT A NEW VIDEO! THIS WAS THE 3.0 UPDATE THAT NINTENDO TEASED DURING THE FEBRUARY DIRECT!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG-aITV6CPI

This was the tease they gave us in the General Direct back in February. There has to be a reason they didn't reveal anything back then.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder why Nintendo just left Super Mario Party to die on the vine.

Like, it couldn't be that hard to just make new boards, right?

Mario party isn't getting updates because they are probably well in to making the next one. We've only had one year without a new mario party release since 2012.

If it wasn't for the hiatus the series went on from 2008-2011 (NDcube made a Wii party branded game instead), it would have been almost constantly releasing every year without fail, having only missed three years total other than the hiatus.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Sorry. I'm not trying to mislead anyone or anything like that. Just reminding everyone that Nintendo teased the 3.0 Update back in February during the last Direct.
Well of course; we know that Stage Builder will be in 3.0 for certain now, so that was the mystery addition they were hyping up. I think the fact that they didn't reveal anything here is just a sign that we'll get a proper direct when the time comes for us to get full details on this update.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I edited my original post to make it clearer. Sorry, Smash Era. I'm not trying to troll everyone.

(Edit: I just removed the video so it's just a link to the 3.0 GX video from the last Direct.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So, will 3.0 be the best update any Smash game has gotten post-release? I mean. we're set to get Joker, his stage, Persona music tracks, Stage Builder and likely some new features/additions that aren't leaked/confirmed yet (at the very least, Mii Costumes seem like a safe bet, but I have some more out-there new content predictions too).

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
So, will 3.0 be the best update any Smash game has gotten post-release? I mean. we're set to get Joker, his stage, Persona music tracks, Stage Builder and likely some new features/additions that aren't leaked/confirmed yet (at the very least, Mii Costumes seem like a safe bet, but I have some more out-there new content predictions too).
Yes. Previous updates only added characters/stages/costumes with the occasional online feature update (sharing and tourney mode). A stage builder (that is hopefully at least better than for's) along with Joker is easily the best update for a Smash game yet.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Ok if we don't get anything today or tomorrow, I'm gonna start to believe that "before the end of April" really means "before the end of April". As in, April 29/30. They said P Plant would arrive in February and it came just before Feb 1st., so I was hoping Joker would be early April.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
So, I was reading this one document about the prospect of Banjo getting into Smash, and this segment reminded of the unused files pertaining to Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps within Ultimate's data.

Two Rare titles were datamined from a text file listing all the game series that appear in Smash; this is the file that spirits pull from to display the series title in splash screens. While Blast Corps was published by Nintendo, and one could argue the miniscule chance of some dev being confused about its surrounding rights, Jet Force Gemini could never be mistaken as a Nintendo property. Both of these titles are owned fully by Microsoft and included in the Rare Replay collection.

Alright, someone school me on copyrights

I always see people's rebuttal to this being that Nintendo simply still owned the Japanese copyrights and the people behind selecting the spirits in Ultimate just didn't realize that they don't own the IPs anymore before cutting them out, but is there any actual proof that Nintendo still has the copyrights to Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini anywhere?

Honestly, Blast Corps kind of makes sense considering that it was published wholesale by Nintendo, but JFG is a bit weird in that regard. As far as I can see, it was solely published by Rare, even in Japan. The Japanese boxart says as much.

N1wTW9ih.jpg

I don't know, does JFG being "distributed exclusively by Nintendo" give them the copyright in Japan? Seems really odd that what was a self published Rare IP ended up getting mixed in with Nintendo owned properties.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm interested in seeing an answer to the post above; I don't really know where to look for the answer, but I hope someone finds it.

Though, the last point about "a self-published Rare IP ended up getting mixed in with Nintendo owned properties" can be partially taken down, as Devil's Third is the other unused game name besides the two from Rare (so some third-party content was obviously purposefully planned to be in). But if Devil's Third was planned and then removed (like I believe) then that just raises even more questions about the existence of these Rare titles.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing an answer to the post above; I don't really know where to look for the answer, but I hope someone finds it.

Though, the last point about "a self-published Rare IP ended up getting mixed in with Nintendo owned properties" can be partially taken down, as Devil's Third is the other unused game name besides the two from Rare (so some third-party content was obviously purposefully planned to be in). But if Devil's Third was planned and then removed (like I believe) then that just raises even more questions about the existence of these Rare titles.

From my understanding, Devil's Third was initially published by Nintendo, but then the rights were given to Nexon, which in turn caused Nintendo to shut down the servers for the Wii U version. So I guess they were planning on putting Devil's Third stuff in Smash before the copyrights got moved over.

At least...that's what the Cutting Room Floor suggests, lol

Nexon now owns the rights to Devil's Third and released Devil's Third Online for Windows, as a result causing Nintendo to shut down the servers for the Wii U version. Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini are both Rare-developed Nintendo 64 titles, but the company and rights to all its original IPs are now owned by Microsoft.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, I was reading this one document about the prospect of Banjo getting into Smash, and this segment reminded of the unused files pertaining to Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps within Ultimate's data.

Alright, someone school me on copyrights

I always see people's rebuttal to this being that Nintendo simply still owned the Japanese copyrights and the people behind selecting the spirits in Ultimate just didn't realize that they don't own the IPs anymore before cutting them out, but is there any actual proof that Nintendo still has the copyrights to Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini anywhere?

Honestly, Blast Corps kind of makes sense considering that it was published wholesale by Nintendo, but JFG is a bit weird in that regard. As far as I can see, it was solely published by Rare, even in Japan. The Japanese boxart says as much.

N1wTW9ih.jpg

I don't know, does JFG being "distributed exclusively by Nintendo" give them the copyright in Japan? Seems really odd that what was a self published Rare IP ended up getting mixed in with Nintendo owned properties.
You misunderstand things. Nintendo owned the trademark for Star Twins, and they still do. That means they have the legal right to use the name in marketing. That's a huge difference, and not the same as owning the copyright, which is ostensibly the property in and of itself. That, like every other Rare created property, was kept by them in the transition to Microsoft.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
You misunderstand things. Nintendo owned the trademark for Star Twins, and they still do. That means they have the legal right to use the name in marketing. That's a huge difference, and not the same as owning the copyright, which is ostensibly the property in and of itself. That, like every other Rare created property, was kept by them in the transition to Microsoft.

Where was this stated, exactly?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where was this stated, exactly?
Stated what, that Microsoft inherited the copyright? That goes without saying, the franchise is in their hands now. It's not like Nintendo owns the franchise "in Japan". That'd be absolutely silly.

Star Twins was a name that Nintendo had mandated when they published the game in Japan, so the trademark being theirs makes sense. Presumably the reason it was never applied by Microsoft was they either never intended to keep using that name, or it's just because it's a super low priority franchise.

One thing to remember is that Rare was never an entirely owned subsidiary. Nintendo really only owned 49% of the company, so to a majority extent, most of the original creations Rare put out were in large part owned by themselves.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Stated what, that Microsoft inherited the copyright? That goes without saying, the franchise is in their hands now. It's not like Nintendo owns the franchise "in Japan". That'd be absolutely silly.

Star Twins was a name that Nintendo had mandated when they published the game in Japan, so the trademark being theirs makes sense. Presumably the reason it was never applied by Microsoft was they either never intended to keep using that name, or it's just because it's a super low priority franchise.

One thing to remember is that Rare was never an entirely owned subsidiary. Nintendo really only owned 49% of the company, so to a majority extent, most of the original creations Rare put out were in large part owned by themselves.

I meant the part where Nintendo retained the trademarks for Rare's stuff. I get what you mean overall but I never heard of that part.

Yeah...I'm kinda dumb and i don't really know how trademark stuff works, and honestly i think a lot of Banjo supporters are kinda like that too lol

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I meant the part where Nintendo retained the trademarks for Rare's stuff. I get what you mean overall but I never heard of that part.
They wouldn't have retained trademarks for anything except Star Twins and Blast Dozer given that those were the titles that underwent name changes for Japanese publishing. Most likely Nintendo had trademarks for just about every other Rare franchise at some point (with the possible exception of Conker), but those were obviously given up because they were easy to track and not as esoteric or disposable.

That being said, I don't have any active links to those names on trademark databases. It's possible those trademarks have expired by now, but given their presence in the game's files, it's safe to assume they log their trademarks closely, and those two games appearing in Smash's files makes the most sense if any at all are present.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Joker is ready to download now trailer ends with "Thank you for buying. On behalf of all the creative types in the world."

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
From my understanding, Devil's Third was initially published by Nintendo, but then the rights were given to Nexon, which in turn caused Nintendo to shut down the servers for the Wii U version. So I guess they were planning on putting Devil's Third stuff in Smash before the copyrights got moved over.

At least...that's what the Cutting Room Floor suggests, lol
From what I understand, this is only half-right. Nexon owns the rights to Devil's Third Online, which is just a version of Devil's Third that lacks the single-player campaign. Nintendo still owns the rights to the original Devil's Third. And they probably shut down the Wii U servers because only twenty people played the online regularly even back when the game came out and there was no point in keeping them active.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Speak for yourself. I loved Skyward Sword.

Late to this party, but I agree. I did enjoy Breath of the Wild, but my favorite 3D Zelda game remains Skyward Sword. I adore the motion controls, story, weapons (the Beatle is the best weapon ever), and characters. The weak spot for me is that was little too linear, but prefer that over the big open world of Twilight Princess. That said, I enjoy Twilight Princess and was my favorite until Skyward Sword.

I guess if I made a list it would be:

Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
Majora's Mask/Wind Waker/Breath of the Wild
Ocarina of Time

That said, I honestly think there is no bad Zelda game. They're all top tier to me and the list is just personal enjoyment.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toad would've been a good promotional pick too. Captain Toad just got DLC, he's playable in Mario Maker 2, and will appear in Luigi's Mansion 3. But his current role in Ultimate kills his chances imo.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Toad would've been a good promotional pick too. Captain Toad just got DLC, he's playable in Mario Maker 2, and will appear in Luigi's Mansion 3. But his current role in Ultimate kills his chances imo.

Piranha Plant wound up boosting Toad's potential chances in my eyes, but I've thought for a while if we were getting Toad we'd get Captain Toad, possibly with Toadette as an alt. Just seemed easier to lock a moveset down by using the Captain as the primary basis.

MonkeyDLenny

Apr 15, 2019
I wouldn't entirely give up hope on Bandana Dee. Here's how I potentially see the DLC playing out:

Joker
Banjo or Steve
Erdrick (if the rumors are true)
One lower-placing ballot pick (Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, Chibi-Robo, Dixie Kong, Paper Mario come to mind)
One 'promotional' pick, either FE or Pokemon Sword and Shield

Three third parties and two 'in-house' IPs.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I think we'll get 1 Nintendo character as DLC, but I think it'll be a Gen 8 Pokemon

The timing for a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC is basically perfect. The same scenario that gave us Corrin is playing out for Pokemon

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't entirely give up hope on Bandana Dee. Here's how I potentially see the DLC playing out:

Joker
Banjo or Steve
Erdrick (if the rumors are true)
One lower-placing ballot pick (Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, Chibi-Robo, Dixie Kong, Paper Mario come to mind)
One 'promotional' pick, either FE or Pokemon Sword and Shield

Three third parties and two 'in-house' IPs.
I still think it's gonna be all third parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.