• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry guys, I mixed up the 2 titles. I meant Corruption, not Echoes.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
How should Dark Samus' toes have fit into the Metroid Prime narrative? As she mutates more, she gets more toes?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda chuckle imagining Shadow with Sonic's various animations, his super seriousness is gonna look goofball as heck rolling up that front smash, busting them splits and so on.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I kinda chuckle imagining Shadow with Sonic's various animations, his super seriousness is gonna look goofball as heck rolling up that front smash, busting them splits and so on.
Yea, Forward Smash is going to be pretty awkward on Shadow

Maybe they should tweak the animation a bit so it works for Shadow, without being different. Like Daisy's more energetic animations for some moves, even if they're functionally the same.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't deny that Captain Toad is recognizable but personally I feel like most people only argue that out of Toads themselves being recognizable rather than him as a character, and oftentimes I get the sense that people confuse "recognizable" with "popular". Piggybacking off of a powerful series doesn't necessitate their presence, the Mario series could exist just fine without him.

For example, Captain Toad is undoubtedly more recognizable than Bayonetta. He's starred in several games that sell millions of units worldwide. But as for his game itself? It's sold way less units than Bayonetta has, who subsequently also won the Ballot, and has more popularity as a character.

I feel that's a really important factor to consider when talking about the way most of these characters that people suggest come into their own. Like Sakurai himself said, "just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll become a playable character".

The Smash Ballot isn't a good barometer of mass popularity though since the amount of people who voted in it would be a very small fraction of the audience that buys Smash games.

Captain Toad vs. Bayonetta 1 isn't a good comparison due to Bayonetta 1 being a multiplatform game and the Wii U having a tiny install base. Comparing Captain Toad to Bayonetta 2 on Wii U against one another has Captain Toad come out on top in sales figures that were released publicly.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We'll never get a complete overhaul on Falcondorf outside of them making Ganon a separate character (or one of his aliases, like Agahnim or Phantom Ganon).

Ship of Theseus, Dary. Slowly but surely, Ganondorf's incremental changes will make him almost entirely unique. He's got entirely new Smashes now (and frankly, I'll miss his old USmash, that was so good). He's really different from Falcon at this point, especially compared to Melee's Ganondorf. Only his specials are pretty much reminiscent of that origin, and a few aerials.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
All these years and food is still using bizarre real life photos of food sprites
Dgx2jCxUwAI7Va9.jpg

You'd think at some point they'd make some actual food models to use instead of these out of place photographs of real food.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
All these years and food is still using bizarre real life photos of food sprites
Dgx2jCxUwAI7Va9.jpg

You'd think at some point they'd make some actual food models to use instead of these out of place photographs of real food.
It's tradition. The Smash team probably had to eat all of that food during development.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How should Dark Samus' toes have fit into the Metroid Prime narrative? As she mutates more, she gets more toes?

More like, as she mutates, her body becomes less of a facsimile of Samus' power suit, and more its own thing.
Kind of like if you look at mutating/evolving monsters from various media, the first thing that usually happens with them is that their clothes rip as their body deforms.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dgx2jCxUwAI7Va9.jpg

Have you ever looked at the media timeline of Japanese twitter users? Like two thirds of their posts are photos of food. I bet those dishes all are food Sakurai himself had and made pictures of, but instead of posting them on Twitter, he posts them in Smash.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017

Could just tweak the animation to have him charging the green emerald and then holding it in front of him doing a chaos blast.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'd get a kick out of Shadow just always holding an emerald for all of his animations. It's just a permanent fixture in his hands. He never actually uses it. Just holds it.

hehe

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow should say "Damn!" during every attack, as well as any time he gets hit and any time he gets KOed. His victory screen should have the quote about taking candy from babies.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Dgx2jCxUwAI7Va9.jpg

Can't waste too much time making realistic food or the rest of the game suffers. Just look at FFXV.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Smash Ballot isn't a good barometer of mass popularity though since the amount of people who voted in it would be a very small fraction of the audience that buys Smash games.

Captain Toad vs. Bayonetta 1 isn't a good comparison due to Bayonetta 1 being a multiplatform game and the Wii U having a tiny install base. Comparing Captain Toad to Bayonetta 2 on Wii U against one another has Captain Toad come out on top in sales figures that were released publicly.
There's no reliable way to substantiate the claim that only a small fraction of Smash buyers pitched in for the ballot given the amount of coverage it received, and the fact remains that more people out there were way more dedicated about getting Bayonetta into Smash than they were Captain Toad, which like I said, suggests that Captain Toad is recognizable but not necessarily "popular" the same way a character like Bayonetta is.

And I argue it is a good comparison because software attach ratios on the Wii U were still rock solid across most titles they'd release. Even games like New Super Luigi U and Mario Party 10 broke almost - or in the case of the former actually did - two million sales, but Captain Toad, an allegedly "popular" character who's game (as far as I'm aware) was a budget release, doesn't seem to have even broken half a million (it only received a Nintendo Selects release in Europe). Bayonetta 2 flopped on the Wii U, but that was a game on a console removed from it's target audience and as such the title had increasingly little crossover appeal... until people managed to vote her into Smash, and now the character is in a position where she can frontline an entire game announcement at The Game Awards. Like, I can't imagine Captain Toad 2 getting anything like that to be honest. Nintendo would probably be laughed out of the room harder than the Cranky Kong at VGX reveal.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not know why I was doing this (I have a problem), but I was comparing the official series title icons on both the English and Japanese websites. I had no idea that WarioWare was called "Made in Wario" in Japan. Good ass name.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
When Shadow is holding the green emerald Alfonzo takes it's place in Sonic's final smash. "Leave it to me!"

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Shadow is edginess done right. Sega is self aware at how silly Shadow is, and so they just embrace it as part of his character.

Sakurai probably would as well.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, another super stupid detail I'm noticing is that the L on Luigi's hat for his Waluigi costume is green. It doesn't entirely adhere to the Waluigi color scheme in Smash 4/5 (the L is purple), but I still found it weird.

ss_6.jpg

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He uses actual guns in only one game, the one he stars in which is notable for having been critically panned and generally considered awful. If Shadow was to be playable, he may reference that game, but he certainly wouldn't draw from it as main source.

Also, another super stupid detail I'm noticing is that the L on Luigi's hat for his Waluigi costume is green. It doesn't entirely adhere to the Waluigi color scheme in Smash 4/5 (the L is purple), but I still found it weird.

lol I pointed exactly that out last night.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Idk much about Shadow but doesn't he carry guns in his game? Should he have guns in Smash?
I'm pretty sure Sega would like to forget that ever happened. He never uses them anymore though they tried again to make vehicles a thing in 06. Nowadays he mostly just plays like Sonic but with animation differences and in Forces I think he has a better homing attack? I dunno I forgot everything about that game

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Shadow is edginess done right. Sega is self aware at how silly Shadow is, and so they just embrace it as part of his character.

Sakurai probably would as well.

Self awareness doesn't make it any less cringey. And if you think Shadow the hedgehog game was some amazing satire of all other tryhards, I don't know what to tell you. St least sonic fans don't try and justify the silliness of their character. Shadow fans go full Robert Downey Jr.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Self awareness doesn't make it any less cringey. And if you think Shadow the hedgehog game was some amazing satire of all other tryhards, I don't know what to tell you. St least sonic fans don't try and justify the silliness of their character. Shadow fans go full Robert Downey Jr.
I've never played Shadow the Hedgehog, but reading people's experiences with it, the game sounds hilarious

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

ss_6.jpg

Mario now has the full Waluigi costume...which is quite funny IMO. The original mocking the derviative of the derivative.

Although derviatives deserve respect >:(

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol I pointed exactly that out last night.

It's really interesting when you also consider that Luigi wasn't playable at E3, and further that none of Luigi's alts are in his character video. This means that we've seen literally only that alt (afaik). Some character videos (even among those not playable at E3) seem to show off alts freely, while some others stick pretty strictly to the default color.

Mario now has the full Waluigi costume...which is quite funny IMO. The original mocking the derviative of the derivative.

Although derviatives deserve respect >:(

Didn't notice that, interesting.

Even better, Warioware Gold is called Made in Wario Gorgeous.

Wheeeeeew I did not know that. They like to use that word a lot huh? They call Luxury Balls from Pokemon "Gorgeous Balls."

Gorgeous Wario should be an alt

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Speaking of echoes, are there characters not from the same series that could theoretically work? Aside from "everything can be a Falcon echo" that is.

I was thinking if K Rool made it, King Hippo could be an echo. Dillon and Sonic maybe?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
That Luigi Waluigi color may no be finished, yet.

Speaking of echoes, are there characters not from the same series that could theoretically work? Aside from "everything can be a Falcon echo" that is.

I was thinking if K Rool made it, King Hippo could be an echo. Dillon and Sonic maybe?
Blaziken as a fa... oh wait, you said besides a Falcon echo.

Blaziken as a Ryu echo!

Blaziken as a Mii Brawler echo!

Status
Not open for further replies.