Status
Not open for further replies.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
He's disliked by people on forums who bother to care. I would say that for a lot of sonic based shit in general. I don't think most of the game playing populus really care about sonic memes. They buy a sonic game they are interested in and most of those people are children and early teenagers who like the characters and shit. That's it. That's most of the audience

He's quite literally the most popular sonic character, besides sonic. If people on forums disliking sonic was able to stop sonic shit from happening, don't you think sonic would have been stopped like...around 2006?

To put this in perspective, Shadow was literally not in mainline sonic games for years, and still was the most popular character. So they just started putting him in games again. In the unfinished mess that was sonic forces his DLC is praised as " the good part" because you got to play as him. And with a weird rise in just people wanting sonic adventure shit right now, the thirst for the edge is real.
Fair points. I can honestly say I just don't keep up with the Sonic community, so I have no fucking idea what they're into. I'm getting old and out of touch.
By who? Middle schoolers?

Shadow is basically the definition of an echo character, is one of the most popular if not the most popular character from the Sonic series, and is headlining the next Sonic game.
By anyone online who isn't a Sonic fan for over a decade? Like...I don't think saying Shadow is a divisive character is a fucking stretch, unless that shit has changed in the last 10 years, or everyone is this thread is a teenager?

To be fair every Sonic character is mocked, lol.

Especially Mr. "IT'S NO USE".
Reading this thread would apparently give you the opposite impression.

Last edited:

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'm still mixed on extra third party reps from the same series. If they do it, then they have to go hard to fulfill my need for roster balance. So if we get Shadow, we might as well get Jeanne, Ms. Pac-Man, Zack Fair, Ken/Akuma and MGS 2 Raiden.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shadow is easy to hate but the Sonic series is still a fucking huge deal and Shadow wouldn't be around if he didn't have a significant following. I really don't see him being divisive in the slightest, especially since Echo Fighters are now being more transparent about the fact that these aren't wastes in character slots but cool bonus characters that appeals to the fans of the characters they are an echo of. Sonic gets a lot of hate being in Smash already, especially in his modern iteration (it was extremely common during Brawl for extremely snide people to go "wow Sonic is actually in a good game and it's not even his"). People will be none the wiser to Shadow being included.

Also on the topic of self seriousness; nothing about Shadow and Sonic up until the Pontac/Graff era was approached with a tongue-in-cheek inclination. The games were extremely campy because they bought into it's own delusions of grandeur - part of the reason why I still think the Adventure series holds up given that it was before they got too full of themselves. Shadow the Hedgehog is such a legendarily terrible written game because the people working on it actually thought the game was a good idea, and going into 06 it became clear that the writers were not in the least cognizant or self-aware of their straightfaced pomp. Sonic 06 goes for "epic" but in the process they jettisoned so much of the characters' colorful idiosyncrasies and personalities that it's just a morose and serious game that has even less "fun" than Shadow's own game. Unleashed might have pumped up on the colorful presentation in response but the writing of the game was extremely unmemorable and the characters were still more mundane and archetypical.

It wasn't until Colors, the shift in writing team, and the second shift in voice cast, that they emphasized more self-awareness. Sonic is now more of a cheeseball who Tails frequently has no qualms making fun of, Eggman is even more of a charismatic villain, and those elements became all the more obvious with Boom, compounded as well by the stellar Sonic comics. Nowadays Sonic is definitely self-aware, but during his signature Dork Age, make no mistake, the Sonic games wanted to be taken seriously.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still mixed on extra third party reps from the same series. If they do it, then they have to go hard to fulfill my need for roster balance. So if we get Shadow, we might as well get Jeanne, Ms. Pac-Man, Zack Fair, Ken/Akuma and MGS 2 Raiden.

Damn some of ya'all have insane demands lol

This is why we can't have nice things

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shadows moves are mostly yellow though, for whatever reason. I guess because Knuckles was red. But Tails is yellow.

Maybe at one point Shadow's fur was more yellow? And they just kept the effects I guess?

I meant because of Chaos Control stuff. That's generally portrayed either green (when he has an emerald) or dark red/burgundy.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
Maybe at one point Shadow's fur was more yellow? And they just kept the effects I guess?

Nah. He was a much more apparent(and somehow edgier) Sonic clone before his final design.
latest

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Shadows moves are mostly yellow though, for whatever reason. I guess because Knuckles was red. But Tails is yellow.

The earliest known design of Shadow (that we're aware of, anyway) was basically Black Sonic with a scar on his eye:

There are shades of yellow in there, so with Knuckles already taking the red effects, this was probably the best choice?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I've accepted sonic adventure 4 3 with a likeably cheesy story and chao gardens is never happening.

Oh I have as well, the cost of those games would be uh...rather large in the modern day , and the time spent making them. And Sega don't want spend too much of both on sonic.

Fair points. I can honestly say I just don't keep up with the Sonic community, so I have no fucking idea what they're into. I'm getting old and out of touch.
By anyone online who isn't a Sonic fan for over a decade? Like...I don't think saying Shadow is a divisive character is a fucking stretch, unless that shit has changed in the last 10 years, or everyone is this thread is a teenager?
I'm not saying everyone loves him, that ain't true. He certainly represents the adventure era and some people don't like that.

I am saying however, he works for the demo sonic is aimed at, and has been working for that demo since he was created. And I think for the most part with sonic shit in general it works for who its for, and a lot of the memery doesn't really effect the bottom line, Segas lack of quality control does that.

Shadow is kind of a mood ring?

He had yellow attacks?
He also has red attacks, then his yellow attacks turned red
He also had and has purple attacks
He has attacks where he turns blue
And he has green energy represented in official art of him that he has never used in game

I guess it depends on the mood he's in

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Also on the topic of self seriousness; nothing about Shadow and Sonic up until the Pontac/Graff era was approached with a tongue-in-cheek inclination. The games were extremely campy because they bought into it's own delusions of grandeur. Shadow the Hedgehog is such a legendarily terrible written game because the people working on it actually thought the game was a good idea, and going into 06 it became clear that the writers were not in the least cognizant or self-aware of their straightfaced pomp. Sonic 06 goes for "epic" but in the process they jettisoned so much of the character's idiosyncrasies and personalities that it's just a morose and serious game that has even less "fun" than Shadow's own game. Unleashed might have pumped up on the colorful presentation in response but the writing of the game was extremely unmemorable and the characters were still more mundane and archetypical.

It wasn't until Colors, the shift in writing team, and the second shift in voice cast, that they emphasized more self-awareness. Sonic is now more of a cheeseball who Tails frequently has no qualms making fun of, Eggman is even more of a charismatic villain, and those elements became all the more obvious with Boom, compounded as well by the stellar Sonic comics. Nowadays Sonic is definitely self-aware, but during his signature Dork Age, make no mistake, the Sonic games wanted to be taken seriously.

Totally agreed with this read on things. I actually only bought Colours because of the writing.

Apr 26, 2018
Fragrant smell of a new smUsh thread.

Nice.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/9704207

"Alright, alright

We need to make a forum wide bet. It'll come down between 2 viewpoints:

1) Those who think Dixie will be an echo fighter
2) Those who think she'll get in, but not as an echo fighter

Losers all have to wear this avatar for at least a month:

TODl3DQ.jpg

If Dixie doesn't make it in period, nothing happens

Who's down"

Put me down for the Dixie will not be an echo camp!

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Reading this thread would apparently give you the opposite impression.
Shadow is post-ironic cool, I'm sorry. He's like Waluigi for adults.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I find it amusing that both Mephiles and Infinite have taken cues from these designs lol.

Sega has this thing where they keep wanting to make shadow over and over and failing.

Another interesting thing about those concepts.

So like there are two, buff shadows. Shadow has super strength , so apparently it was going to be more emphasized in his design. It isn't though. I guess it makes since because knuckles is strong too but they didn't make his arms any bigger. Until boom happened anyway

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Flash had a character that was just a red Sonic with a sword. He was called "Blade" or something. I think Shadow appeals to the part of us that makes young people do that.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Flash had a character that was just a red Sonic with a sword. He was called "Blade" or something. I think Shadow appeals to the part of us that makes young people do that.
Sort of ? In all seriousness, Sega litterally just made a game where you get to make your own sonic character, and they are probably gonna make another.

The deal from the outset is that they wanted to make easy to draw, easily identifiable characters. And they did, and people made their own, apparently they get a lot of like letters and fan art of kids characters

It works

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I'd rather more nintendo all-stars get repped before secondary characters from third parties. Besides, metal sonic would be a preferable echo
Exactly where I'm at. I'd prefer more Nintendo characters to secondary guest characters, especially ones from series already with a rep. It's a Nintendo game first.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'd rather more nintendo all-stars get repped before secondary characters from third parties. Besides, metal sonic would be a preferable echo
During the GCN years, Shadow WAS (basically) a Nintendo All Star. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog were major Gamecube titles back in the day. Shadow became as popular as he is because of the Gamecube.

In my mind, Shadow would basically represent the Gamecube and Sega's new friendship with Nintendo in the early 2000s.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Waluigi could be kind of like Charade from Soul Calibur 2 or Mokujin from Tekken where he has no distinct playstyle of his own and instead just copies the movesets from the other fighters on the roster, which changes randomly each time you select him.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
This game, along with Melee, pretty much defines my early experience with the Gamecube. They were the only two games I played (I owned Luigi's Mansion, but was too scared to play it!) for an entire year
sonic_adventure_2__battle_by_livingdeadsuperstar.jpg

My birthday is in February when I got my GCN at the ripe old age of 12 (Feb 2002). I wouldn't get my next GCN game until Christmas the next year, so I had to make due with Melee, Sonic and Luigi's Mansion (didn't play it, I was a scaredy kid)

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
What if Waluigi was everyone's echo? Like one of those Soul Calibur copycat characters.

Edit:

Maybe Waluigi could be kind of like Charade from Soul Calibur 2 or Mokujin from Tekken where he has no distinct playstyle of his own and instead just copies the movesets from the other fighters on the roster, which changes randomly each time you select him.
Great idea! *wink*

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic got his dash attack changed

Maybe so it would look better when used after roller blading?
Possibly, but there's also the fact that Sonic doesn't really "roll" in his games anymore. it resembles his slide attack a bit more.

On the topic of Sonic, curiously enough, ESAM noted in his 1 hour long character breakdown video that Sonic's specials (spindash specifically) were nerfed but that his normals overall have been buffed. Despite being the fastest character in previous Smash games he was notorious among top competitive players for being one of the most frustrating characters to go up against because he had an extremely "hit and run" playstyle due to his normals being pretty bad and spindashing being really strong. Going into Ultimate that seems to be completely reversed, and with changes like being able to use tilts out of dash etc., Sonic is probably going to be a much more different character at a competitive level.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

No, Waluigi should have a comedic moveset.

His jab is his signature foot stomp. Down special puts down a Junkrat trap. Side special is tennis ball attack; both ball and tennis racket hits. Neutral b is like Wii Fit Trainer's focus but it continuously heals and Waluigi stands in a goofy yoga position. Up special lets Waluigi swim through air like in old cartoons. Aerial moves all use his legs in goofy ways.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game, along with Melee, pretty much defines my experience with the Gamecube. They were the only two games I played (I owned Luigi's Mansion, but was too scared to play it!) for an entire year
sonic_adventure_2__battle_by_livingdeadsuperstar.jpg

My birthday is in February when I got my GCN at the ripe old age of 12 (Feb 2002). I wouldn't get my next GCN game until Christmas the next year, so I had to made due with Melee, Sonic and Luigi's Mansion (didn't play it, I was a scaredy kid)
Sonic Adventure 2 is best on Gamecube. GBA Chao gardens + all kinds of little bonuses like connectivity to PSO2 to get Tails Chao!

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Shadow is easy to hate but the Sonic series is still a fucking huge deal and Shadow wouldn't be around if he didn't have a significant following. I really don't see him being divisive in the slightest, especially since Echo Fighters are now being more transparent about the fact that these aren't wastes in character slots but cool bonus characters that appeals to the fans of the characters they are an echo of. Sonic gets a lot of hate being in Smash already, especially in his modern iteration (it was extremely common during Brawl for extremely snide people to go "wow Sonic is actually in a good game and it's not even his"). People will be none the wiser to Shadow being included.

Also on the topic of self seriousness; nothing about Shadow and Sonic up until the Pontac/Graff era was approached with a tongue-in-cheek inclination. The games were extremely campy because they bought into it's own delusions of grandeur - part of the reason why I still think the Adventure series holds up given that it was before they got too full of themselves. Shadow the Hedgehog is such a legendarily terrible written game because the people working on it actually thought the game was a good idea, and going into 06 it became clear that the writers were not in the least cognizant or self-aware of their straightfaced pomp. Sonic 06 goes for "epic" but in the process they jettisoned so much of the characters' colorful idiosyncrasies and personalities that it's just a morose and serious game that has even less "fun" than Shadow's own game. Unleashed might have pumped up on the colorful presentation in response but the writing of the game was extremely unmemorable and the characters were still more mundane and archetypical.

Sonic Boom is really self aware, just look how much Shadow contrasts with the tone of the show:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Sonic Adventure 2 is best on Gamecube. GBA Chao gardens + all kinds of little bonuses like connectivity to PSO2 to get Tails Chao!
One summer, during a car ride on vacation, I maxed out a Chao using the Tiny GBA garden in Sonic Advance.

Like, I probably played Sonic Advance for 4 hours straight that ride, doing nothing but grinding rings for Chao fruit.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
During the GCN years, Shadow WAS (basically) a Nintendo All Star. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog were major Gamecube titles back in the day. Shadow became as popular as he is because of the Gamecube.

In my mind, Shadow would basically represent the Gamecube and Sega's new friendship with Nintendo in the early 2000s.
This is such a huge stretch to find a reason for Shadow to be worth more on the roster than he actually would be. Again, outside of the Sonic fanbase bubble, Heroes and the Shadow game are remembered as poor to average games and little else. And multiplatform games at that. They should rep the GameCube with a fucking Odama level before Shadow.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how much they actually killed Spin Dash, but it's okay cuz Sonic got buffed normals else on top of system changes being good for him.

I think he'll def be a more interesting character than how polarizing he was in 4.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
This is such a huge stretch to find a reason for Shadow to be worth more on the roster than he actually would be. Again, outside of the Sonic fanbase bubble, Heroes and the Shadow game are remembered as poor to average games and little else. And multiplatform games and that. They should rep the GameCube with a fucking Odama level before Shadow.
Were you a kid around the GCN years?

Shadow was a Gamecube rep as much as any other character from that era. You're seriously downplaying what was going on with Sega and Nintendo in the early 2000s and how amazing Sonic games on a Nintendo console was, as a concept. Kids at that time loved Shadow, and if you wanted Shadow, you needed a Gamecube (Sonic Adventure: Battle was a Gamecube exclusive).

Middle school me didn't care that Sonic Heroes was a garbage game. I was HYPED for it, and played it to death when it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.