Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
By the way, the only characters that can definitely be considered Asian are Ryu and Joker.

We should not be counting those from fictional locations that invoke traditional European imagery.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish Elma and Twintelle had gotten in. I have to wonder if the latter has a shot in wave 2.

Having more POC protagonists in general is the bigger issue obviously. I feel like Nintendo is slowly becoming aware of this by having more varied representation in their new games, but it shouldn't be so gradual, it's not hard.
I think twintelle is a spirit so I'm not super sure what Sakurai's rules on that are

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Nintendo just has a representation problem. Call out nintendo themselves, because Japan doesnt think about western representation in the same way. So you either have to force them or dont bother

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how my various little cousins interacted with the games I had (MUA3, UMvC3, & MvCI specifically) was what truly woke me up to the current issues. Likewise, recent events in my own life have made me work harder to improve myself as a person (taking your advice in toning down my involvement in the Smash speculation thread helped a lot, so thanks for that).

Yeah, it's amazing how much people would actually make huge impacts on our life in some way that it would affect how we thinks about the subjects or issues.

Nov 17, 2017
Didn't Nintendo kind of push Corrin on him? If I remember he wasn't jumping at the thought of adding another FE character through DLC.
Maybe? That would've made sense since Corrin seemed like an advertisement character considering the timing of his release. Either way, I feel like that was probably the time for Xenoblade X as it was one of the Wii U's big games coming out around that time.

Xenoblade X had the problem of selling terribly.

Pray for a decently-advertised Switch port.
Which is why it would've made more sense to advertise it via Smash than FE Fates which clearly didn't need it. Also with development time, I don't know if Xenoblade X would've even been out yet when they decided on Corrin. Xenoblade X only came out a month or two before Fates in Japan.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon is marketed and associated pretty strongly with characters like the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook, and even the Agents tend to be depicted as canonically female.

I guess what I'm saying is, if the big thing preventing Twintelle or Min-Min from being playable in Smash is Spring Man, then why the heck does Spring Man need to be white?

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fans could help Nintendo to fix those errors by writing more feedbacks to Nintendo and branches of Nintendo to demands more diversity and genders as main characters and also keep nagging them on social media. They will eventually slowly adapt and keep those requests in their minds, as it evidently worked with Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Ring Con Main characters. Just don't give up on your goals until they eventually recognize their errors and probably adds more diversity through main protagonists then future Smash Bros could induce them in their roster.

I myself would love to see more diverse characters in Smash Bros but I kept getting choked when I look at main protagonists only; so their best chances to have PoC in the roster is Skyward Swords Impa, Ring Con Trainer, Urbosa, double inclusion of Spring Man and Twintelle, and Elma.

Would love to see Urbosa getting in tho since her design is pretty awesome.

I want to bump this post because I do think people need to share their opinions and feedbacks with Nintendo or any branches so they can hear your voices.

Sometime it doesn't help to complains about it on the forum because they sometime wouldn't see the posts so it's better to be more vocal about it on social media like Twitter or email/use the feedback functions.

Nov 17, 2017
Ganondorf is Gerudo, so if Urbosa counts, so does he. Likewise, Ganondorf is a bit more brown in Ultimate than he was in Wii U/3DS.
Yeah, plus the Gerudo are heavily based on Arabic people. Ganondorf counts even if he does look a bit green in some games more than others. He's also a villain, so that's always fun... Once again, not Smash's fault, more of the fault of the Zelda series.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I honestly believe Sakurai would feel guilty about choosing any other franchise rep besides the main character or perceived mascot. A consequence of his obsession for getting everything accurate to the franchise he chooses. His greatest strength and weakness and all that.

He's naturally going to gravitate to the protagonists, especially when the point of those DLCs is generating revenue. I'm expecting rather safe character picks, even if the franchise picks themselves aren't safe ones.

Personally, I'm hoping for Puyo Puyo since it's a niche, yet long-running Japanese franchise and Arle is the clear main character of that series, no ifs or buts.

This is a good summary of the situation. Sakurai is absolutely determined to get everything about a series properly represented if possible. The amount of cameos on Spiral Mountain and animation references in Banjo and Kazooie's moveset shows that, he views the primary mascot of each IP as a superstar that gets red carpet treatment. This is how he views Smash and I don't see that changing, especially when Ultimate is now the best selling fighting game of all time.

But +1 on Arle, I'm hoping for her myself.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, it's amazing how much people would actually make huge impacts on our life in some way that it would affect how we thinks about the subjects or issues.
I mean, I've been pretty vocal about the lack of women in Smash even before that. But the time my cousins came over truly raised my awareness of the problem to the point where it legitimately bothered me.

Splatoon is marketed and associated pretty strongly with characters like the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook, and even the Agents tend to be depicted as canonically female.

I guess what I'm saying is, if the big thing preventing Twintelle or Min-Min from being playable in Smash is Spring Man, then why the heck does Spring Man need to be white?
That's actually a really good question. To ARMS's credit, it does a good job in terms of maintaining a solid female fighter ratio (40% exactly) as well as bringing an ethnically-diverse cast of characters to the roster. But did Spring Man really have to be a white guy? I know some may instantly say "But it's not a big deal if he is" (maybe not here, but elsewhere). But to them I say, that's the thing, it's not a big deal. Would it be a problem if he wasn't white?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's like the Piccolo argument for Dragon Ball. Its sad that the only black person we can point to is green.
You do have a point there, & Smash (as well as Nintendo as a whole) should do better. We're seeing slow-but-steady progress on Nintendo's end, but more has to be done.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
then why the heck does Spring Man need to be white?

He doesn't. This is absolutely the core of the issue. Nintendo and other companies need to invest in mascot characters that aren't pale skinned dudes. But it's slow moving because, in my opinion, this is an expensive hobby and the barrier for entry is high (300 dollar console + 60 dollar game). So the video game industry is slow to adapt to trends of diversity and representation compared to other mediums because they are afraid of alienating their core base. (I mean, this is why gacha games are so successful, they can make money off a small userbase made up of whales.)

This is also why I think indie games do a lot better in that regard. Less financial barriers all around and less fear of doing anything outside of the AAA white dude box.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Elma still could have been added in Ultimate if it was a priority for Sakurai. Smash 4 DLC was hardly the only time for her.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Spring Man is a rather generic dude with a generic theme that takes inspiration from older Japanese manga like Astro Boy and Cyborg 009. He's designed to represent ARMS' concept.

At the very least, he's presented more alongside Ribbon Girl (who got a costume) than by himself, so I'm confident she would get included along with him.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Elma wasn't getting in over Inkling, Simon Belmont, King K. Rool, Ridley, Isabelle, or a Sun/Moon Pokemon. But you could probably make the argument Sakurai could have tossed Piranha Plant and gone with her. He loves his surprise characters though.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Of all the games I've seen people ask for a PoC character from, I think something like GTA might be the best one to go with here. It's not to say a lot of everyone else's choices are bad because they're not but they're just not flagship characters. That said, GTA's had people of color as flagship characters and maybe doing something like Franklin as the rep would be absolutely insane and mind bending but it would also be one cool character and I want this to happen right now.

yes I know this is a weird suggestion but after reading this thread some more, it wouldn't just be awesome but Franklin is from what is one of the best selling video games in history and the more I think of it a GTA rep in general would be the best thing ever. Please god make it happen ;-;

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's lame, although understandable considering gaming history. Which really does say a lot about gaming history that so relatively few gaming icons and popular Nintendo characters are non-Japanese PoC.

That said, "6 of which are blue eyed / blonde hair" is less of an issue *shrugs*. Blond hair and blue eyes isn't that big of a deal considering dark hair generally seems the better represented (and preferred) out of the two. Heck, JP games usually prefer a multitude of hair colors compared to blond.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, even though Nintendo generally has very few black or brown characters, the lack of Elma, Twintelle or Impa in Ultimate is pretty disappinting.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this is on the industry. SSB is relying 100% on what series are popular and have history in gaming.

history in gaming being white-centered is not SSB's fault.

if anything, we should say the whole industry has been really bad with representation and direct the criticism to it. if the industry improves, SSB will improve.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's entirely on the rest of the industry" would make sense if they literally ran out of PoC to add to Smash. We'll see how the post-Pass DLC turns out.

Oct 25, 2017
I find the notion that Smash is just dealing with a bad hand a little "nah." Like, Heroine was a potential option, and it was SE's decision, but that Sakurai never mentioned ever considering Heroine is nah. So are Dixie Kong and Krystal being cut from Brawl. If Sakurai really wanted to include women and POC, he has had options. Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Dixie Kong, Heroine, Ashley, Impa, Celica, Octoling, Elma, Krystal, Medusa, Rodin, Liu Kang, Doc Louis, Twintelle, Mr. Sandman, Shantae, Yuri Kozukata, Shovel Knight (shit, that'd be non-binary representation too!), Terra Branford, Rabbid Peach, Tracer, Kerrigan, Pauline, Tifa Lockhart, Chun-Li, Aigis, Roll, Ms. Pac-Man, Undyne, etc.

There are options, and Sakurai had the ability to implement them, and either couldn't or didn't. Heroine isn't even acknowledged in any capacity, Ms. Pac-Man appears in Pac-Land yet nowhere else, Persona had no Mii Costumes for women (despite Aigis being a waaaay more interesting choice than P3 Protag). Non-white characters are certainly more appropriate to claim that there aren't options, especially non-white men (harder to make exotic than women), but even then the likes of Doc Louis, Yuri Kozukata, and Impa could have been featured at some point, yet none of them have ever been.

Smash has gaping holes - some caused by the industry at large, but Sakurai has options.

what's difference between Metroidvanias and Action platformers since I don't really get it?

Metroidvania is a specific genre where players explore, often involving backtracking, and developing new abilities along the way that help them explore more proficiently, whereas the CVs Simon and Richter are from are linear action-platformers with no permanent upgrades.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
If the DLC had less focus on guest characters there would be more chance for diversity. But if they are going after the main characters of big legacy franchises its just gonna get worse or they will just be skins to whoever the main charcter is. I don't expect the 2nd wave of DLC to be any different its too appealing to them and other companies to use guest characters. Hyrule Warriors Impa should be in the game.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If the DLC had less focus on guest characters there would be more chance for diversity. But if they are going after the main characters of big legacy franchises its just gonna get worse or they will just be skins to whoever the main charcter is. I don't expect the 2nd wave of DLC to be any different its too appealing to them and other companies to use guest characters. Hyrule Warriors Impa should be in the game.
The problem regarding Hyrule Warriors as of now is that Smash seems to pretend that it doesn't exist (same for Fire Emblem Warriors, which could have been used as reference for Male & Female Robin's spirits). Though fortunately for Impa, her Skyward Sword incarnation is a viable option. Likewise, third-party guests who are women are indeed options, such as Jill & Tracer.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I find the notion that Smash is just dealing with a bad hand a little "nah." Like, Heroine was a potential option, and it was SE's decision, but that Sakurai never mentioned ever considering Heroine is nah. So are Dixie Kong and Krystal being cut from Brawl. If Sakurai really wanted to include women and POC, he has had options. Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Dixie Kong, Heroine, Ashley, Impa, Celica, Octoling, Elma, Krystal, Medusa, Rodin, Liu Kang, Doc Louis, Twintelle, Mr. Sandman, Shantae, Yuri Kozukata, Shovel Knight (shit, that'd be non-binary representation too!), Terra Branford, Rabbid Peach, Tracer, Kerrigan, Pauline, Tifa Lockhart, Chun-Li, Aigis, Roll, Ms. Pac-Man, Undyne, etc.

He has added a crapload of female characters since Brawl. He even surprised us with an unexpected Wii Fit Trainer, a notion that any other developer would've likely laughed at.

- Palutena
- Rosalina
- Bayonetta
- Lucina
- Isabelle
- Dark Samus
- Daisy

A lot of those options will be considered for the future, but we don't need to scrap the bottom of the barrel for the likes of Rabbid Peach.

P.S.: How dare you forget Captain Syrup? If Wario was to get another rep, Sakurai should consider the OG Wario villain.

Last edited:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
He has added a crapload of female characters since Brawl. He even surprised us with an unexpected Wii Fit Trainer, a notion that any other developer would've likely laughed at.

- Palutena
- Rosalina
- Bayonetta
- Lucina
- Isabelle
- Dark Samus
- Daisy

A lot of those options will be considered for the future, but we don't need to scrap the bottom of the barrel for the likes of Rabbid Peach.

And if you count the characters with alt genders:

Robin
Corrin
Villager
Bowser Jr. (Wendy)
Inkling
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer

Deleted member 60312

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2019

- Palutena
- Rosalina
- Bayonetta
- Lucina
- Isabelle
- Dark Samus
- Daisy

Uh... Dark Samus isn't a girl. It's... god, how did they explain it... It's a highly advanced virus that possessed Samus' Power Suit.

Deleted member 60312

Banned
Sep 29, 2019
You're right in that it's not the same. But like it or not, Smash is part of & compared to the rest of the fighting game genre. And as it stands right now, Smash Ultimate is lagging behind in both women & people of color. Smash can't fix the industry's problems, but it can take steps to fix its own issues (especially with regards to Smash Ultimate's lack of women).
Uh... no, it isn't. about 1/3 of the cast is female, and another third isn't even human. Smash is quite possible the single MOST diverse fighting game out there. There's Animals, dragons, people, hybrids, robots, 2-d beings, aliens, and even a freaking potted plant. Diversity is not something the series lacks.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Uh... Dark Samus isn't a girl. It's... god, how did they explain it... It's a highly advanced virus that possessed Samus' Power Suit.

People still address her as female since she took the form and alias of a female character.

Plus, Metroids can have biological sex. It's why we have Queen Metroids. Not farfetched.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking at the roster recently, and with the addition of Terry, it really makes me realize how terrible the roster is when it comes to diversity.

On top of that, just how many white males are on the roster, and then how many of them have blue eyes or blonde hair.

Does anybody else find this a bit....problamatic? It's one of the biggest games in the world and it doesnt have a single person of color in the cast whilst having plenty of white/white-passing fighters.
Ganondorf is not white (Gerudo are meant to evoke middle-easterners/north Africans).

Either way, you're barking up the wrong tree. This is an issue with the industry at large not putting black/brown people in main character roles and Smash, being a celebration of the most iconic characters in gaming history, has to pick from a pool of light-skinned heroes. If we want black characters in Smash, then we should first ask Nintendo to create new IPs with black protagonists, which could then appear in Smash as their series' rep.

Deleted member 60312

Banned
Sep 29, 2019
People still address her as female since she took the form and alias of a female character.

Plus, Metroids can have biological sex. It's why we have Queen Metroids. Not farfetched.
I'm aware. But Dark Samus isn't a Metroid. The virus is the thing that kills Metroids, if I remember correctly.
EDIT: Also, isn't SA-X the one in Smash?

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
That's like the Piccolo argument for Dragon Ball. Its sad that the only black person we can point to is green.
Ganon and Gerudos are very blatantly and stereotypically arab, their whole culture in the games take inspiration from middle eastern ones. Him having green skin in some designs doesn't change that especially when he's obviously brown in Smash currently. Piccolo is just an alien.

He should count. And it should be pointed out that our one dark skin character is literally the king of evil.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Both of Dark Samus's trophies in Brawl and Smash 4 use she/her pronouns.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Uh... no, it isn't. about 1/3 of the cast is female, and another third isn't even human. Smash is quite possible the single MOST diverse fighting game out there. There's Animals, dragons, people, hybrids, robots, 2-d beings, aliens, and even a freaking potted plant. Diversity is not something the series lacks.
Counting alternate costumes, sure. But for women by default, it's definitely lagging behind.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I 'hope' that circumstances of the game's development caused some of this. They opted to focus on bringing everyone back and capitalise on the large roster by adding even more huge names via dlc. Smash 4 used its roster purposely to beef up the female characters (Wii Fit, Palutena, Rosalina, Lucina, etc).

I'd 'hope' that if people make enough of a stink about this that it reaches Sakurai's ears. It's an easy enough problem for them to solve if they decide they want to solve it (Twintelle, Urbosa, Marina, Elma, Chun-Li, and a few others are perfectly suited to being in the game as is, so it's not particularly hard to get more diversity into the roster if that's what they decide to focus on).