What do you predict it will score?

• 100 (First Perfect Metascore Baby!)

• 95-99 (Sorry Sakurai, Still Not Perfect)

• 90-94 (As good as Brawl)

• 85-90 (Worse than Brawl)

• Below 85 (does it even count as a game at this point?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The constant pessimism is too much. No they're not going to complain like people on here think they're going to. And I will revisit this topic after the reviews come out.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It has a few things going against it as far as 97+ goes. It's a fighting game, people think it's a port, and it's not cinematic enough. I expect around 94. For as much content and replayability it has it should be higher than that, though. Sakurai really went above and beyond this time.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Where are people getting the idea that World of Light will definitely review poorly? I only saw positive reception to it from that press event a couple weeks ago, and although I've been avoiding WoL spoilers as much as possible, I haven't seen anyone with a leaked copy criticizing it yet either.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
100 OUTTA 100 first perfect meta incoming!!!!!!!

j/k it'll hit 94 when it's all said and done.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has a few things going against it as far as 97+ goes. It's a fighting game, people think it's a port, and it's not cinematic enough. I expect around 94. For as much content and replayability it has it should be higher than that, though. Sakurai really went above and beyond this time.
Nobody seriously thinks its a port

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I vote 93-94 unless the netcode is just an absolute disaster.

This game is LOADED with content - and as disappointing as it might be to lose a few modes and stages here and there, it's hard to argue against the value proposition and WoL seems to be a pretty meaty single player experience.

We already know it's 1080p/720p and a locked 60fps - performance is there.

Content is there.

Challenge is there.

Surprises are there.

Balance is (mostly) there.

Options galore - there.

Controls are there.

It caters to both casual partiers and the diehards.

And it's a celebration of the hobby in all the best ways.

People do want online, though. And while nobody expects miracles from the Switch, I think it's the one question mark.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
If a trash-ass party game with busted netplay like Brawl can have such a high metascore, I shudder to think how high in the quad-digit realm a game like Smash Ultimate could reach.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Where are people getting the idea that World of Light will definitely review poorly? I only saw positive reception to it from that press event a couple weeks ago, and although I've been avoiding WoL spoilers as much as possible, I haven't seen anyone with a leaked copy criticizing it yet either.

I'm basing my thoughts on reading the /r/games comments back when WoL was first revealed, where tons of people said things like "A new Subspace! I might actually get this game now! I can't wait to see all the cutscenes!"

This might not affect reviewers, since they're probably more aware of what WoL actually is, but I expect there will be some disappointment from the general gaming community who were expecting something that was never promised.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it'll score in the low to mid 90s. Perhaps it'll break into the mid 90s if it blows everyone's minds or something but not even I'm expecting something like that

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai said World of Light isn't Subspace. He made it clear in the Direct that it's more about fun and not story.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
As I said two months ago for Red Dead: Do we even need a Metacritic page for this game? 'Cause we know exactly how it's gonna go down, lol.

Game Awards at 8:30PM, then Smash at 12:00AM. Gonna be a helluva night.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Just last month Stephen Totilo argued that it was a port. To Reggie.
Really? I don't remember that.

Dan from gaintbomb said something similar that it was a port. But I feel most people just look at the general gameplay and agree solely based off that. Plus Ultimate didn't drastically change it's artstyle this time around and released on a shorter timeframe.

I guess I can see how people would think this, but feels like a their Judging a book by its cover.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I think 95+ would be hard to break but I hope I'm wrong. I think with the amount of content it's a slam dunk 93-95 even if people don't like world of light

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai is going to get the respect he deserves from media members. All his heart and soul is in this game.

He gets respect as is from the media, but this is the ultimate Smash game any minor problems they have won't mean anything. Other games like Botw and Red Dead Redemption 2 have problems, but don't reflect in the scores.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Reviewers are a bit harsher now, but I still see this landing in the 90-94 range. The sheer amount of content and care going into the package is apparent regardless of minor quibbles.

Hopefully, they get to fully test out the net code and all online features before finishing their reviews.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll be on par with Brawl. Hell, Smash 4 got a 92 on Metacritic. There's no chance in hell it'll be lower than that.

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
It will be a better game than Brawl, but will get a lot of (unfair?) criticism claiming it is a Brawl 1.5

So probably 8.8 or something.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
The number one complaint will be starting with such a small roster. Other than that, I expect smashing review scores.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm gonna say around high 80's to low 90's. Just a hair under Melee, but not by much (Melee was 91, if I recall).

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I'm predicting 90-93 range - it looks to be a solid iteration of the franchise that I will most likely play for hundreds of hours, but I'm not sure if it will introduce enough new mechanics or modes that it would score higher than any of the previous games. It may come down to the single-player content.

It's still going to review really well though

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It's going to score a 90 at least, but it's still a fighting game and I can see people being nitpicky about cut modes in their reviews to ding it.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It will be 90s, but not above 95. Fighting games don't get rated that highly anymore.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say 98, has to be higher than 92 mc . This smash has so much things added to it, it's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.