NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the last direct overhyped the world of light I see.

If they don't have access to online they shouldn't give a score yet.
How did the last Direct "overhype" WoL when it was only about four minutes of a 40 minute long presentation with the delivery of the info making most people think it didn't even exist

Deleted member 43462

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/super-smash-bros-ultimate-review-in-progress/1900-6417051/

Gamespot in progress

9/10 tho

THE BAD

Difficult to follow the action in Switch's handheld mode

Character unlocking is initially bothersome

I'll have to check out more reviews. But as someone that ONLY plays their switch in Handheld mode, this is kind of concerning. I mean I played the 3DS version, and overall it didnt bother me much. So I'm hoping its not that bad in handheld.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the main criticism of world of light is that it's too long. It's crazy that we're getting such a meaty single player out of a smash(and fighting) game. I was certainly not expecting that and I am super pumped to try it out.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If World of Light were shorter, it would have criticism that "There is no content for single player" sooo...

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be playing this 100% solo and online with randos. Are any characters or whatever unlocked only by doing couch co-op or online play with friends?

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
As always you choose to see what you want to see and ignore everything else. It's pretty impressive actually.
I mean, world of light was the only thing I read the reviews for. I already know the gameplay and characters are great, and the reviews don't cover online. I expected to see more cinematics/story in it after seeing the direct's ending.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, changing it up so much every game is hurting them.

Don't try and reinvent the wheel.

I agree and I don't understand why some people want to desperately change every sequel. It just doesn't work with every series. You can't fundamentally change games like Smash or Splatoon without destroying them. It baffles my mind when people complain about Smash Ultimate and Splatoon 2 looking too similar to their predecessors and call them ports.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Interesting that the main criticism of world of light is that it's too long. It's crazy that we're getting such a meaty single player out of a smash(and fighting) game. I was certainly not expecting that and I am super pumped to try it out.
They mean long as in it ends up dragging along, which isn't a good thing.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were there any other new characters revealed/DLC/etc? I haven't been following the game lately.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
World of Light is looking mostly like a bust in some respects

Thats fine with me

Smash is a competitive and party game for me first and foremost. I really dont have many intentions to sink a lot of solo play hours into it

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, Metro had this to say about WoL:

"It's not only easily the best in the series but one of the most enjoyable single-player experiences we've had all year."

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, world of light was the only thing I read the reviews for. I already know the gameplay and characters are great, and the reviews don't cover online. I expected to see more cinematics/story in it after seeing the direct's ending.
We already knew it wasn't going to be big on story and cinematics.

They overhyped it in the end by making you think it'd be more story/cinematic heavy.
They outright said the opposite.

Wiifitkid

Mar 12, 2018
World of Light is looking mostly like a bust in some respects

Thats fine with me

Smash is a competitive and party game for me first and foremost. I really dont have many intentions to sink a lot of solo play hours into it
A lot of the reviews are super positive about it. Think it just depends on your tastes

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It was kind of stupid to show that in the direct because they followed it up with 'don't expect anything like this!'

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Of course these are fantastic scores, but if the game were being reviewed solely on the promise it is making, being the Ultimate Super Smash Bros game, it would be 10's across the board easy.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They mean long as in it ends up dragging along, which isn't a good thing.
That's not the feeling I'm getting from reviews. It's long to do 100%, which is good.

Also, it's the bone us fans of obscure Nintendos stuff got this time, so I feel it's a bit unfair how people ignore this aspect. haha

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I looked up the original Soulcalibur and I guess that's at a 98 on Meta? That's insanely high for a fighting game...I doubt we'll see a fighting game get a Metascore that high again.

Soulcalibur was...I'm not sure there's been another game quite like it. It was a staggering leap ahead of everything else.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
pyro4go79dl01.gif

Ninety-five-ah

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
World of Light sounds like a Mode you want to play for a few hours then play Smash matches and what not then comeback to it. You want to break it up.