• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You know I don't even know who woud become president if they impeached everyone and remove Biden, Harris, and somehow Pelosi since she would become president if those two get removed.
Well Pelosi would already no longer be the Speaker in this situation.

But the order of succession after the President goes:
  1. Vice President
  2. Speaker of the House
  3. President Pro Tempore of the Senate
  4. Secretary of State
  5. Secretary of the Treasury
  6. Secretary of Defense
  7. Attorney General
  8. Secretary of the Interior
  9. Secretary of Agriculture
  10. Secretary of Commerce
  11. Secretary of Labor
  12. Secretary of Health and Human Services
  13. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
  14. Secretary of Transportation
  15. Secretary of Energy
  16. Secretary of Education
  17. Secretary of Veterans Affairs
  18. Secretary of Homeland Security

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Well Pelosi would already no longer be the Speaker in this situation.

But the order of succession after the President goes:
  1. Vice President
  2. Speaker of the House
  3. President Pro Tempore of the Senate
  4. Secretary of State
  5. Secretary of the Treasury
  6. Secretary of Defense
  7. Attorney General
  8. Secretary of the Interior
  9. Secretary of Agriculture
  10. Secretary of Commerce
  11. Secretary of Labor
  12. Secretary of Health and Human Services
  13. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
  14. Secretary of Transportation
  15. Secretary of Energy
  16. Secretary of Education
  17. Secretary of Veterans Affairs
  18. Secretary of Homeland Security

I can totally see the GOP gutting the government to own the Libs

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Rape, to save the mother's life, or incest are excluded yes.

Whenever anybody talks about the exceptions for rape or when a mother's life is in danger I always wonder how that's even enforced. Honest question, what other laws work in that manner? Especially ones that are incredibly time sensitive.

And how does this work? You have to prove you were raped? Like the rapist is tried and convicted? Within a few months?? Or you just have to claim it?

And for risk of a mother's life, does the doctor just need to sign off? Or now must it include the police or a politician? If a doctor, will it be like old California weed prescriptions where you just go to the right doctor or a state appointed doctor?

And not that you're at all suggesting otherwise, but it really should be hammered into people that this decision makes no exceptions. That just because one state may today say "oh we will have exceptions for X and Y", there's no guarantee that will remain.

I just always hate whenever these "exceptions" are brought up by politicians because it doesn't make any fucking sense and yet I've heard this shit for decades.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I sincerely hope come Monday Biden has some concrete plans he can speak on, and not just his profound disappointment with the court. This is why people think he's weak and pathetic. This is one of the most egregious rulings the court could do short of deciding that segregation was actually okay. I need to see some action and him doing something and having plans.

Despite what some people think the federal government is not just some powerless entity. There are things they can do right now to help deal with some of the blowback.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
President Joe Biden "does not agree with" expanding the number of seats on the US Supreme Court in the wake of a decision ending a constitutional right to abortion care, according to White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force 1 on 25 June, one day after the court overturned Roe v Wade, Ms Jean-Pierre said the president does not support adding more justices to the nine-member court, which has a conservative majority following three appointments by Donald Trump during his administartion.

Useless piece of shit.

www.independent.co.uk

Biden ‘does not agree with’ expanding US Supreme Court

US president likely will not support progressive demands to add justices to nation’s high court

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Where are the floods of masses protesting the overturning of Roe v Wade this weekend? Why are we not seeing protests even close to the scale of Black Lives Matter or the 2003 anti-war protests in America?

Have the majority of America simply given up / don't give a fuck? Or has being passive observers on TIktok and Twitter overtaken direct political action in 2022?

It's bizarre how muted the response has seemed so far for a ruling with such catastrophic implications. Feels like the majority of folks in the US really do care more about gas prices than anything else.

There are big protests, they're just in typical cities (NYC, Philadelphia, LA, SF, Chicago, etc) so the typical Fox News viewer could ignore them as the domain of crazy liberals. The reason 2020 was so different was because those events and the big protesting started in places that couldn't be dismissed by the modal Fox News viewer (like Wisconsin and such).

It remains to be seen if the protests will spin up and occur in places outside of the usual suspects.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
If you genuinely think such a thing is possible, ever, then you fundamentally do not understand the United States.
Oh don't worry, I do. Workers have basically 0 rights and are fucked if they leave their workplace.

It's like someone is checking off every single point on the "everything wrong with the US constitution" list of my history lessons rn.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Oh don't worry, I do. Workers have basically 0 rights and are fucked if they leave their workplace.

It's like someone is checking off every single point on the "everything wrong with the US constitution" list of my history lessons rn.
This thread is basically people suggesting things that would sound good and should happen and then other people explaining how that realistically couldn't happen within the system we have right now.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Whenever anybody talks about the exceptions for rape or when a mother's life is in danger I always wonder how that's even enforced. Honest question, what other laws work in that manner? Especially ones that are incredibly time sensitive.

And how does this work? You have to prove you were raped? Like the rapist is tried and convicted? Within a few months?? Or you just have to claim it?

And for risk of a mother's life, does the doctor just need to sign off? Or now must it include the police or a politician? If a doctor, will it be like old California weed prescriptions where you just go to the right doctor or a state appointed doctor?

And not that you're at all suggesting otherwise, but it really should be hammered into people that this decision makes no exceptions. That just because one state may today say "oh we will have exceptions for X and Y", there's no guarantee that will remain.

I just always hate whenever these "exceptions" are brought up by politicians because it doesn't make any fucking sense and yet I've heard this shit for decades.
States can make it harder or easier, generally harder. Typically for rape or incest you would need a sworn statement from the victim, a police report, and maybe additional sworn statements and/or other evidence. For medical need the provider would have to sign a sworn statement of medical necessity, and of course be able to share their medical evidence to support that conclusion.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Other countries do this neat thing where they actually rewrite their constitution every so often. Jefferson even said we should be doing it every 20 years I think. yet here we are following the words of people who lived in the 18th century to the letter.

and i dont wanna hear about "amendments" the way this shithole country is set up that's nearly impossible.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017

We're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think anger about Roe being overturned will resulting electoral success for Dems in November. We are a selfish and short-sighted society who'd rather have cheap gas than protecting our rights.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Useless piece of shit.

www.independent.co.uk

Biden ‘does not agree with’ expanding US Supreme Court

US president likely will not support progressive demands to add justices to nation’s high court
Apparently the full quote is below

FWJJ6pEUEAAPaRx

So I'm wondering where this even comes from, especially considering they manage to not quote her in the piece at all. If she said it, they should have the direct quote. That they don't is more than a little weird.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
What if Americans are not able to use their voice at the ballot box though, due to stupidity, electoral college mapping or illegalities. how bout them apples

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
TBH I thought there would be a general strike by now.

If Biden really wanted what he says to mean something, all he has to do is say "To all Americans disappointed with the Supreme Court's rulilng, go on strike. You have my permission. To the Republican senators/representatives going on FOX news and talking what the Democrats are doing in response, come find me at the White House."

It would force change if a general strike was approved at the highest level of government. But no Biden has this misconceived notion that 'reaching across the aisle' means something.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If Biden really wanted what he says to mean something, all he has to do is say "To all Americans disappointed with the Supreme Court's rulilng, go on strike. You have my permission. To the Republican senators/representatives going on FOX news and talking what the Democrats are doing in response, come find me at the White House."

It would force change if a general strike was approved at the highest level of government. But no Biden has this misconceived notion that 'reaching across the aisle' means something.
This is…a weird fantasy.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
This is…a weird fantasy.

How's it a weird fantasy? The reality is a general strike won't get off the ground without any organization behind it and would have to be done by the people. Biden letting the police and potentially the military prevent it would endorse the police's actions and allow for the general strike to die, not endorse the people's response.

I guess my point is if Trump can use his office to sabotage the government, Biden can use it that way too.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How's it a weird fantasy? The reality is a general strike won't get off the ground without any organization behind it and would have to be done by the people. Biden letting the police and potentially the military prevent it would endorse the police's actions and allow for the general strike to die, not endorse the people's response.

I guess my point is if Trump can use his office to sabotage the government, Biden can use it that way too.
I don't think you understand what a strike is if you think the military or police could stop it

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Biden doesn't control the police, and the military isn't going to be used against strikers. A stoke doesn't need to be authorized by the President. That's not a power he has.

More to the point, if less then half of Americans even have a problem with the decision, how many do you think are going to strike?

Biden calling for a general strike would be nothing but a ridiculous embarrassment.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
That's one theory of mine but another (sadder) one that suggests that there's a much higher level of defeatist rhetoric going around. It was fought for decades to defend abortion rights and now that fight is seen as rendered futile. I don't think it is futile and absolutely think it's worth fighting no matter what. However, to many, that fight feels like it's over and people need to navigate their lives to manage with the regression. The Religious Right won that battle and we're back to square one and it looks like it's the beginning of a slippery slope.
This resonates with me, and I truly believe that we're bearing the "fruits," in many ways we don't realize, of a large portion of the populace getting their info through edgy, often misleading social media soundbites that celebrate nihilism as the enlightened viewpoint. It has popped up in this thread over and over and over again -- misleading if not downright bullshit tweets meant to do nothing but make you feel angry and hopeless. The fact that it pops up every couple of pages speaks to how pervasive and influential it is. It's almost a gish gallop.

This bullshit is getting called out here on Era (thank god), but half the time the person who posted it ignores the responses and eventually comes back around to share more BS, when what they need to be doing is thinking critically about the information they consume. On ERA of all sites, where people presumably think themselves above the right-wing misinformation machine, you'd hope folks would be self-aware about this shit instead of constantly rebroadcasting it. Garbage in, garbage out. It's not a way to build change.

In general nobody should listen to people who just want you to be angry/upset/hopeless all the time, and we should REALLY question their motivations. It does less than nothing to help the causes they claim to care so much about -- working towards a better future requires a lot of boring, day by day work and community engagement, and that shit doesn't really happen when you're just sitting around on social media picking emotional scabs to keep yourself angry and hopeless 24/7.

Misinformation, hyperbole, and nihilism may get a lot of reactions on the internet but they sure as fuck aren't actually helping anyone. It starts out as ironic or self-aware or whatever but when that's all you consume it eventually seeps into your thinking and people start living it.

The point of our political engagement should be to help people and ease suffering. Being a misinformed angry nihilist helps noone and causes suffering. It is literally worse than doing nothing.

Case in point here...

Wonder if they got that from the now deleted tweet mischaracterizing what the press sec said.

I'm glad the tweets got retracted and he gave a correction, but it's gonna be too late. The original assertion (edit: which I'm now confused about) is going to bounce around Twitter and I guarantee it'll pop up again on ERA too. Even when told a twitter hot take is wrong people will insist that it still feels right or rings true or is essentially true or whatever lazy explanation they give for why they want to cling onto misinformation that confirms their biases. Just look at how many times the "all Nancy Pelosi did was read a poem!" thing has popped up in this thread even though it's not true.

As long as we tolerate (or in some spaces celebrate) braindead nihilistic hot takes we're going to keep heading down this road. I've been calling it out when I see it because I can't fucking stand it any more, even from people I "agree" with. It hurts all of us in the end.

edit: looks like the stuff about retraction above may be about comments about the filibuster? I'm a bit confused by what was or wasn't said at this point, but I'll leave it up with this disclaimer because I think my central point still makes sense.

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if they got that from the now deleted tweet mischaracterizing what the press sec said.

They did not get it from a tweet.

President Joe Biden remains unmoved on the issue of court expansion, the White House said, despite his criticism of the Supreme Court rulings handed down this week on gun rights and abortion.

"That is something that the president does not agree with," White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters aboard Air Force One on Saturday when asked about such a reform. "That is not something that he wants to do."

www.google.com

Biden doesn't support expanding the Supreme Court, White House says

Democrats and activists are calling for changes to the high court after its rulings on gun rights and abortion.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Where are the floods of masses protesting the overturning of Roe v Wade this weekend? Why are we not seeing protests even close to the scale of Black Lives Matter or the 2003 anti-war protests in America?

Have the majority of America simply given up / don't give a fuck? Or has being passive observers on TIktok and Twitter overtaken direct political action in 2022?

It's bizarre how muted the response has seemed so far for a ruling with such catastrophic implications. Feels like the majority of folks in the US really do care more about gas prices than anything else.

Those past protests you mentioned totally failed and were co-opted. Why would people bother.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
It's no way to build change to constantly admonish 3rd party and non-voters. This doesn't get folks to vote nor does it get them on your side yet Era does it all the time as well.

Guilt-tripping people who are already disillusioned by politics is one of the worst ways to convince them. You have to be communicative and cooperative rather than dismissive and haughty.
Fair enough. I try to be constructive with my contributions but emotions have certainly been running high the past couple of days so I'm sure I haven't held to that as well as I could.

However, as I said above, after the past few years I can't tolerate misinfo any more. I just can't. There are plenty of totally legitimate reasons to critique Dems, the government, the system, etc, without just making shit up. I also have little to no tolerance of people/sources that just want us to be angry, upset, and hopeless 24/7, since it harms the causes and people I genuinely deeply care about.

If you have constructive feedback on how to better respond to people posting misleading, nihilistic hot takes let me know and I'll strive to do better.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Guilt-tripping people who are already disillusioned by politics is one of the worst ways to convince them. You have to be communicative and cooperative rather than dismissive and haughty.

Shaming and viral memes making fun of antivaxxers were shown to boost covid vaccination rates. I don't really believe in coddling people from the truth.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

I don't see anything here that contradicts the articles I posted, unless there's a different retraction I'm missing?

It literally says she did not issue a direct response to the question. The headline and article you posted implies that she issued a direct response.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Shaming and viral memes making fun of antivaxxers were shown to boost covid vaccination rates. I don't really believe in coddling people from the truth.
In my experience with people I know personally planting seeds by respectfully asking questions has done the most to change minds. Yelling at someone almost never changes their mind. I don't know how all of that translates to the internet, though.

I also think we're shaped over time by what we passively consume. Reading ERA has certainly changed my views on a number of things even if I never posted about them or debated anything, I just listened and thought about it. Hence my concern about people whose media diet is largely shallow reactionary nihilists...

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Somehow I'm just not sure this translates. Antivaxxers are spiteful morons. The disillusioned have reason to be but need to be convinced to act in spite of this and that it will at some point help their cause.

Cat Pee

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing straight/straight-presenting white men on social media rag on Democrats for "not doing enough" as an non-white person all while knowing that such messaging will discourage others from voting Democrat in the future is fucking exhausting.