• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Games are getting bigger with stuff like Warzone passing the 200 GB mark. It's a big problem and an often annoying one. I purchased Deep Rock Galactic on Steam yesterday and was both delighted and surprised that the game was only 1.8 GB. Yes it's models have a low poly look and the levels are procedurally generated cave interiors bu it is such a good looking game with some of these cave systems being huge. especially in the space station. I'm actually still blown away that is is such a small game. A screenshot taken from the discord below.

What other modern games have surprised you with their file size being so small?

unknown.png

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Isn't No Man's Sky around 5-7GB or something like that? That's absolutely amazing, even if you consider the fact that most stuff is procedural.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's not new at all, but Skyrim's original size of 3.3 GB ONLY on the 360 blew my mind even back in the day.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros Ultimate is under 16GB despite the size of the soundtrack.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The Witcher 3 sitting on ~40GB with both expansions and all free DLC installed is pretty impressive to me with all content it has.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM Eternal's size being significantly smaller than DOOM 2016 was quite a pleasant surprise to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe I'm misremembering this but Final Fantasy XIV with every expansion up to Shadowbringers was just under 40GB on my hard drive.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
They're older now and maybe not hugely detailed, but Euro and American Truck Simulator being under 5GB and 4GB is still a little surprising.

Though maybe it's more that a lot of games are just bloated, whether they're unoptimized or just have too much redundant data. Something like Vermintide 2, for example, probably doesn't need to be nearly 90GB. Or Killing Floor 2 over 60GB.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Crash Trilogy on Switch is like 16GB if I recall. Compared to PS4 where IIRC it's nearer 40GB that's crazy.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Dreams and all of the updates are only 9.29gb and it can stream level data almost instantly because the levels people make take up hardly any space.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being surprised when vanilla Witcher 3 was ~30GB... I had gotten use to seeing all the big AAA games being 50+ by then.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Even games that look like they ought to be relatively small these days end up surprisingly large relative to their scope, since the entire way asset storage/distribution is done these days is so absurdly rife with assets being haphazardly duplicated several times over wherever they are used in the game, as opposed to just loading it from the same global library. So that makes small games even more of a rarity.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Warframe did some coding magic and went from 30 gbs to 16 on consoles

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I usually expect games to be like 1GB minimum, but Terraria on Steam uses less than 300MB. I think it might be even less on consoles.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
I was definitely suprised when I realized that Dragon Quest Builders was only about 1gb, at least on PS4.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Almost all of Nintendo's games are under 8GB, it's insane.

Only BotW, Smash and Xenoblade 2 come to mind as being larger.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls Remastered is only like 7 GB, and Dark Souls 3 with both DLCs is only 25 GB. Insane to me with how much content is in those games.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
games from japanese studios are weirdly small

i downloaded metal gear solid v the other day and it was only about 25gb? i was 100% sure it would be a +45gb download

then you have from software games. those are usually around the 10 - 20gb range which always makes me scratch my head 🤔

wasn't monster hunter world smallish as well?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
PS4:
Dreams is just under 8 GB
The Surge is 9.99 GB and Sekiro at 16.84 GB.
No Man's Sky being 11.8 GB.

PC:
American Truck Sim is under 4GB and Euro Truck Sim 2 is under 5GB.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Switch games as a whole. Got about 30 installed and my 400 GB as card still has like 200 gigs free

On my computer it's ...delete to make space if I want to install something and that's with 3 TB storage.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
REmake 2 and 3 are less than 25GB, it's insane.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
That's probably the benefit of not using optical data anymore, Smash WiiU filesize should be a bit bloated with dupe data for faster seek times/loading.
Smash 4 had every trailer included with the game. Smash Ultimate not having any helps save space so they could fit it on a cheaper cartridge.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Most of Nintendo's games could have small file sizes presumably due to the lower fidelity of their assets, but Mario Kart 8, one of the best looking games on PS3-tier tech, comes in at a whopping 6.7 GBs, where most games of the PS3 generation were around 30 to 50 GBs each.

They may be behind on HD game development, but when they do figure it out, it's probably going to be as well built and compressed as everything else they've made.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Recent capcom games have been nice for this. DMC5, the re remakes and monster hunter world have all been reasonable.