• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2022
A survey some Overwatch players received seem to indicate that Blizzard is considering releasing the new Mythic Skins for $44.99.

Overwatch players are pissed off with this supposedly new price model.

View: https://twitter.com/Portergauge/status/1553204606997446656

FY4XV8cUEAAErEi

FY4XWoXUUAIgaMx
FY4XUiJVUAAlkld
FY4XTsEUcAArsmT

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
These better be so fucking mythic they make my eyes bleed

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
I can pay 20$ for some stuff / battle pass with skin for each season... but there's no way I pay 45$ for a skin...

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the precedent has already been set in Valorant and Apex. This particular metaphorical horse is long gone, I'm afraid.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Seems out of place for a game like Overwatch where you're supposedly meant to switch up your character depending on the map/point/opposing comp.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
A Legendary tier skin from the Overwatch League store is $10. There is no way these'll carry that much value.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only become less and less interested in buying skins for FPSs over time.

My favorite skins to use on most characters are uncommon/rare recolors for the most part these days, though there are some exceptions like Pink Mercy and Penguin Mei.

My Reinhardt will never ever replace his out-of-print McDonalds Yellow Florida Mayhem skin.

iTm2pnr.jpg

My only regret is not getting the McDonalds skin for every character.

Last edited:

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
These prices are so dumb but Valorant is way worse, it has like $100 gun skins. I have a hard time even buying $10-$20 skins there's no way I would spend $45 on a skin.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Keep in mind that not only is this not uncommon for games like this, but if these items were exclusively in loot boxes they'd be hunting whales for an average of $1k.

Ultimately, vote with your wallet, but this is a significantly less shitty direction than many devs pursue today.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apex Legends has similarly priced skins already.

That shit is crazy. If I really liked a game, I could see myself putting in $10 for a skin. Mayyyyybe $15 if it was something insane in a game I loved. But, I have never played a game I loved so much I would give $45 for something so small. That it nearly the cost of an entire new video game, for a single skin!?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
wasn't the first game like forty euros?

a skin is priced higher than the whole game...?

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Unfortunately not an uncommon price point these days for cosmetics. I can stomach a $10, maybe $20 skin, but anymore is just too much to justify. That's about the price of a full set in Path of Exile, but at least with that you can mix/match different cosmetics.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this is the type of stuff you see in similar F2P games; luckily I don't boned up over skins to the point where this will ever faze me so it's whatever. I'll still have my little bit of stuff from the first game so I at least won't look totally boring this time around.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a skin. The game is the same with or wothout it. If people want to spend $45 for a skin, let them as long as it doesn't affect gameplay.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Apex Legends has similarly priced skins already.

valorant has some 90 bucks weapon skins right?

Yeah, the precedent has already been set in Valorant and Apex. This particular metaphorical horse is long gone, I'm afraid.
If you want to take this even further back, Dota 2 has been at this for about 9 years now.

www.dota2.com

Dota 2

Every day, millions of players worldwide enter battle as one of over a hundred Dota heroes. And no matter if it's their 10th hour of play or 1,000th, there's always something new to discover. With regular updates that ensure a constant evolution of gameplay, features, and heroes, Dota 2 has...

Ahuitzotl

Jun 11, 2020
Very nice people still coming with "vote with your wallet! "when none of these FTP fps games have ever changed their exorbitant prices because they only need a small amount of people buying them. This is why I fking hate FTP, Everyone just tacitly defends the decisions, I might just drop Overwatch 2.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Very little folks cosplay as Overwatch characters these days. Good luck to blizzard.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
I guess if the game is 100% f2p with all the gameplay options unlocked from the getgo and there is no competitive advantage to these, sure whatever. I generally don't mind other people funding development for a game I like

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From the other thread:

I took that survey and it was bandying about prices like $15 dollars for a Mythic Skin and Emotes for a $1.99. Was also asked how I'd feel about a bundle that included a Mythic Skin, an emote, and some other crap for 20 bucks. These seemed like pretty fair price points.

I think it's pretty clear they're just collecting data and it's way too early to meltdown about price points.

But it's likely to be the higher end, since people are paying for this in Apex and Valorant easily.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
$45 for a skin is insanity. I don't care if other games do it. It's wild that people are just like "oh yeah that sounds fair" just because the game is F2P and competitors do it. That's how this stuff gets normalized. Pricing a single skin for 3/4ths of the price of a full AAA game is ridiculous.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
If it was a limited time only code released skin i can see people selling it for that price.
I've seen Halo Infinite skins being sold for over 200$
www.ebay.ca

Halo Infinite Dlc Code Mega Constux Action Block Armor Coating w/Warthog set | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Halo Infinite Dlc Code Mega Constux Action Block Armor Coating w/Warthog set at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

$45 for a skin is insanity. I don't care if other games do it. It's wild that people are just like "oh yeah that sounds fair" just because the game is F2P and competitors do it. That's how this stuff gets normalized. Pricing a single skin for 3/4ths of the price of a full AAA game is ridiculous.

There has been a pretty clear line from retail game cosmetics to f2p games, but look at the price people are willing to pay for limited pre-order skins. This is the company look at that situation and folding it into the store, and f2p games have the luxury of doing that much more than a retail release. In other words, ridiculous pricing for skins is already normalized in the f2p.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Meanwhile, I can actually market shit in Dota.

Still ridiculous prices either way.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Actually for apex to get mythic skins it's about 150 to 180...
Rediculously expensive for what are actually quite boring skins...
Unless you have 2 / 3 years worth of crafting materials to buy some or all of the stuff in the events...

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
If you want to take this even further back, Dota 2 has been at this for about 9 years now.

www.dota2.com

Dota 2

Every day, millions of players worldwide enter battle as one of over a hundred Dota heroes. And no matter if it's their 10th hour of play or 1,000th, there's always something new to discover. With regular updates that ensure a constant evolution of gameplay, features, and heroes, Dota 2 has...
League of Legends too. I had the DJ Sona one which I planned to grab myself until a friend gifted to me when I logged in to buy it lol. They used to do them once a year I think as they'd take way longer to develop with significantly more work, animations, and effects put into them. The Sona one had 3 distinct soundtracks that changed the background music for the other players and 3 looks for the character based on the spell you had active.

If devs wanna make premium skins for the people who really want them why not? It's a good monetization model that doesn't hurt anyone in a free to play game. Better than charging for gameplay affecting items or asking for $60 upfront.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone for complaining

In overwatch 1 I was able to get 99.9% of every cosmetic in the game just by playing, only excluding OWL stuff or an occasional charity thing.