• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Anyone tried playing on Switch with a resistive-compatible stylus like the Adonit Dash? I loved everything about the demo except for the fact that the game was clearly made for stylus controls, and I've got one of those styli lying around for digital art.

Also, wow -- one page for a first-party Switch game. This one might actually go on sale someday.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Necessary in my opinion. The player has to at least know how to play...
Eh it doesn't take 20 levels to "know how to play." The game has some intricacies but it's not super complex to begin with. And it's not like the other player you're playing with will have played through all 20 levels.

Anyone tried playing on Switch with a resistive-compatible stylus like the Adonit Dash? I loved everything about the demo except for the fact that the game was clearly made for stylus controls, and I've got one of those styli lying around for digital art.

Also, wow -- one page for a first-party Switch game. This one might actually go on sale someday.

Not just that, this is the only first party Switch game I haven't seen even in the top 100 best sellers on Amazon (of 2018 or even just hourly ranking). Looks as if this game flew under the radar for most people, especially with the Aces Demo propping up that release further.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Still says $50 unless you're on 3DS, which was always supposed to be $40 like nearly every other 3DS game.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sushi-striker-the-way-of-sushido-switch
The extra $10 pays for the voice acting, I've heard.

Eh it doesn't take 20 levels to "know how to play." The game has some intricacies but it's not super complex to begin with. And it's not like the other player you're playing with will have played through all 20 levels.

Wasn't it just 2 levels?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What's the strategy with picking the order of plates to throw? I know throwing the same color does more damage, but in which order should you throw them? Shortest to tallest, or tallest to shortest?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The extra $10 pays for the voice acting, I've heard.

Wasn't it just 2 levels?
That's interesting. So does the 3DS just have voiceless cutscenes? Because that's where most of the voice work comes in, as for regular dialogue this is like those old JRPGs where the character says the first word or two then goes silent. So it's not like the VA is that great honestly.

And no, it takes 20 levels to unlock the arena which is where you take part in local play. I would know because I played to specifically unlock that mode to play with a friend lol

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
What's the strategy with picking the order of plates to throw? I know throwing the same color does more damage, but in which order should you throw them? Shortest to tallest, or tallest to shortest?
Tallest to shortest because combo bonus damage is calculated using the previous stack's damage.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Nice!

Also, why do some plates have numbers like 1.3 on them?
If you make a stack using only the same type of Sushi, that stack gets a 30% combo bonus.

I recommend reading through the Advanced Tactics section in the game carefully at some point. There's a lot of good stuff in there, including the info I gave you lol.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If you make a stack using only the same type of Sushi, that stack gets a 30% combo bonus.

I recommend reading through the Advanced Tactics section in the game carefully at some point. There's a lot of good stuff in there, including the info I gave you lol.

Oh for some reason when I got that scroll, it gave me some basic info and I thought THOSE were the advanced tactics. whoops. I'll go check it out.

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Played the demo and not impressed.

The anime dragged too long and story kind of dumb, and the puzzle lacks depth.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Loved the Demo. My daughter has already played it through twice. I really wasn't interested in this game in the least but I will probably pick it up this weekend.

Does anyone know of multiple spoken languages are included? I am thinking of getting the Japanese version (I live in Japan) but my daughter wants the English dub. The Japanese demo only had the Japanese voice track (but the option for english subs), but does that hold true for the full game?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the Demo. My daughter has already played it through twice. I really wasn't interested in this game in the least but I will probably pick it up this weekend.

Does anyone know of multiple spoken languages are included? I am thinking of getting the Japanese version (I live in Japan) but my daughter wants the English dub. The Japanese demo only had the Japanese voice track (but the option for english subs), but does that hold true for the full game?
The Japanese version has all the different dubs, but none of the others do

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not just that, this is the only first party Switch game I haven't seen even in the top 100 best sellers on Amazon (of 2018 or even just hourly ranking). Looks as if this game flew under the radar for most people, especially with the Aces Demo propping up that release further.

It'll sell once it's on sale. It has a rather low budget look because of its art style(ironic considering the animated cutscenes likely cost a lot), and the gameplay style resembles a standard mobile game, on the surface level at least.

They could've been promoting this as their big game of the month and it still wouldn't really sell at 50 given the above. At 20-30, though, significantly more reasonable.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It'll sell once it's on sale. It has a rather low budget look because of its art style(ironic considering the animated cutscenes likely cost a lot), and the gameplay style resembles a standard mobile game, on the surface level at least.

They could've been promoting this as their big game of the month and it still wouldn't really sell at 50 given the above. At 20-30, though, significantly more reasonable.
I dunno. Even then I can't see it selling that much. Definitely not comparable to even the lowest selling first party Switch games. Maybe a modest success at best.

I understand why it costs more, but I think a $40 price point would have been far more reasonable.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Was interested but not at $50. Nothing other than Nintendo tax makes this look like a $50 title.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
Yeah I'm here to join the crowd that thinks this game is overpriced. I went into the eShop to download the demo and got startled at the ridiculous price tag. I mean, it may be even an elaborate game and so on but come on, it's not a $50 game.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
Man, this game is no joke for a colorblind person. The different patterns on the plates are there but subtle and the game is crazy fast with a lot going on at once. I've been playing the first 6 stages over and over to really find a way to make this work for me and improve and surprisingly it appears to be doable. I'll definitely have a disadvantage over other players but so far im making it work and have been able to get three stars on every level so far. I think the fact that you can level up and customize your load out will also work in my favor later on.

Anyway, it really says a lot about the quality of the game that I'm persisting instead of giving up and selling it. There's a lot of depth to it that makes it really fun and addictive. Plus it's beautifully polished and I really like the cutscenes and writing... it's just pure light-hearted fun. Honestly, this game is awesome and it's a shame that the price seems like it will hurt the game's sales. It deserve success for sure.

Also, that theme song!

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

Perhaps this is going to be the Switch's Code Name: STEAM, lol. On sale for under $15 in less than a year.

Oilvomer

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you play online? I got the island where it offers you, but all is see is 'local battle'

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what the trick is to befriending new Sushi Sprites? The game only says something about Sushi Sprites being sure to join you if they see a "perfect fight," but what does that mean?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I want this went to preorder couldn't believe was 50, going to have to pass for now.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
That's interesting. So does the 3DS just have voiceless cutscenes? Because that's where most of the voice work comes in, as for regular dialogue this is like those old JRPGs where the character says the first word or two then goes silent. So it's not like the VA is that great honestly.

And no, it takes 20 levels to unlock the arena which is where you take part in local play. I would know because I played to specifically unlock that mode to play with a friend lol
It's just an excuse, nothing more, nothing less.

Oct 25, 2017
never been mentioned once and the SP relays have been discontinued so I don't see why they would put it into new games.

I know, but it would be fun to get them and get a new item every once and a while.

It's just an excuse, nothing more, nothing less.

Wait so there really is no voice in the 3DS game? I can't seem to find any gameplay of the released 3DS game. Hardly any of the Switch version. The game wasn't even in the top 30 on the eShop the last time I checked.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps this is going to be the Switch's Code Name: STEAM, lol. On sale for under $15 in less than a year.

And we already got a big game like ARMS all the way down to $40 for a while so it's not like these games are immune from drops. And that one actually sold over a million.

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
Man, this game is no joke for a colorblind person. The different patterns on the plates are there but subtle and the game is crazy fast with a lot going on at once. I've been playing the first 6 stages over and over to really find a way to make this work for me and improve and surprisingly it appears to be doable. I'll definitely have a disadvantage over other players but so far im making it work and have been able to get three stars on every level so far. I think the fact that you can level up and customize your load out will also work in my favor later on.

Anyway, it really says a lot about the quality of the game that I'm persisting instead of giving up and selling it. There's a lot of depth to it that makes it really fun and addictive. Plus it's beautifully polished and I really like the cutscenes and writing... it's just pure light-hearted fun. Honestly, this game is awesome and it's a shame that the price seems like it will hurt the game's sales. It deserve success for sure.

Also, that theme song!

The biggest thing putting me off (after the price) is how unfriendly this game seems to be for colour blind people. Tried the demo and felt like I was missing a big part of the strategy. Glad to see it can be mitigated to some degree. Let me know how you get on if you get to the late game levels!

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
This game is a piece of communist propaganda about how capitalism and greed can pervert our existence.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen the opening music video and I'm already pleased with this purchase

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
So for those deep into the game, are you all enjoying?
A ton.

Later on you'll run into issues if you just mindlessly match Sushi. You need, NEED to fully understand how damage works to have any hope of getting more than 1 star. Hell, just beating stages can be hard.

Tip: Check your Sushi Sprite's Sushi output;that's what youll get for that lane. Choosing Spritex that work well together makes it way easier to get long chains lol

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
liked the demo a lot but I think Mario Tennis is the game i'll pick up this month, besides, have a feeling this game is gonna bomb hard so I think I'll be part of the problem and buy it after a price drop.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
This game is so damn good. I can totally see how they could expand on the game and add in more RPG and adventure elements. I think that could be a great direction for the sequel but perhaps it would be too close to pokemon?

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is everyone getting this on switch or 3DS?. Will be getting sometime when the price drops and not sure if I should go for the 3ds or get a capacitve stylus to play the switch version properly. Looking at the Kotaku and Eurogamer reviews it seems 3DS is bar none best for controls. So it's a decision between controls or visuals.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is so damn good. I can totally see how they could expand on the game and add in more RPG and adventure elements. I think that could be a great direction for the sequel but perhaps it would be too close to pokemon?

This is the main thing that would get me in if they ever decide to do another of these. I really dislike the world map and the 'move from one point to the next battle' deal. I'd really love a whole proper JRPG-like world where you can go off the beaten path reguarly for goodies, talk to NPCs, and just explore the world in general. The ideal scenario would be if it looked like a standard GBA JRPG, which were just amazing on a pretty consistent basis.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Also, that theme song!

The biggest thing putting me off (after the price) is how unfriendly this game seems to be for colour blind people. Tried the demo and felt like I was missing a big part of the strategy. Glad to see it can be mitigated to some degree. Let me know how you get on if you get to the late game levels!

It's why in the demo I turned on the "auto select the best Sushi plate available atm" option. Once you've selected your plate the color blind issue becomes a non-factor as the game highlights what are the dishes you can grab. No shame turning on an accessibility option to overcome being color blind.

I do wish the game has an option to maybe add a letter to each Sushi piece which indicated the color of the plate the sushi was on. I understand for depth reasons why they didn't go with the 1 color plate = same 1 piece of sushi, but that would have also gone a long way to helping color blind gamers.