• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So my 3DS copy just shipped from the Target glitch. Did I fuck up?. I went with the controls since I didn't care to play this online.

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
After while the game starts getting boring at least for me, is was all fun on first couple hours but after meh! The story tho is nice.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well don't regret the 3ds version now lol. Game controls wonderfully and the extra screen real estate is insanely useful.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
How is everyone doing with this game now?

Is there a consensus on what version controls better?

I can get the game for £20 on 3DS or £25 on Switch, and I'm still undecided.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I have recently started this game. At which point do the player have more options, such as the ability to play local or online multiplayer battles?

Also, is there an option to change from boy Musashi to girl Musashi after starting the game?

Thank you for reading.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Looking around, anyone got a soundtrack for Puzzle Hut in Shrine Grove?

You may have found it by now, but just to make sure:

How is everyone doing with this game now?

Is there a consensus on what version controls better?

I can get the game for £20 on 3DS or £25 on Switch, and I'm still undecided.

I personally think it might be best with a stylus, but posters here seem to have little trouble once they get used to it. It overall controls the same on both versions, you can use the analog on the 3ds and touch controls on the Switch, you can probably test it out on the demo.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So, fans of the game, what kind of smash bros representation you want for this game?

A stage? A character? Assist Trophy? Sushi plate item?

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
So, fans of the game, what kind of smash bros representation you want for this game?

A stage? A character? Assist Trophy? Sushi plate item?
Realistically, we probably won't get anything more than some music (Sushi No.1, please!!), if that. I wouldn't even expect trophies since none of the characters in the game have 3D models, and I don't think they're stylized enough to work as 2D trophies like the Rhythm Heaven ones.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
For now, I will settle for sushi. I think Smash already have sushi, so they could convert the sushi into Sushi Strikers' styled sushi. I hope that the playable character gets a DLC playable spot if I want to be wishful, because this game has a very cool setting to be languished into obscurity.

Thank you for reading.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Amazon USA is having a mini sale on the game? $31.60 for Switch, $22.05 for 3DS version at the time of this post. I snagged the 3DS version.

Switch:
Sushi Striker: The Way of The Sushido - Nintendo Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC46L6F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_A7HBBbMRE1GCT

3DS:
Sushi Striker: The Way of The Sushido - Nintendo 3DS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC32F56/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_R8HBBbCZW7B2K

Noticed the sale thanks to a thread on the 3DS reddit and figured it was noteworthy here!

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I have finished up to Level 27, with S-ranks except for the most recent level. It's really great so far, but I still am yet to unlock Puzzle and Online modes. I am curious yet apprehensive on how online battles are handled, since I am afraid online might have way more experienced players than me.

Also, I used a Pledge Plate and unlocked a cactus-like Sushi Sprite called, whose ability is to steal Jubilee gauge from the opponent. I like his robotic voice clips, which is even more amusing. Is this a good Sprite to use, or are there potentially better ones?

I am amused that there's one Sushi Sprite that Kojiro, the James-lookalike, used, is unable to be recruited. That would have been broken since the ability doesn't seem to expire. If you don't know what I am talking about, the Sprite's ability is to create a wall that prevents attacks with less than 8 plates from working. I expect Kojiro to keep using this Sprite for the rest of the quest.

Thank you for reading.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I know this thread isn't exactly active, but hopefully I can still get an answer. I just did the fight that allows me to start befriending sprites after battle, and I was wondering if it's possible to go back and befriend the sprites from the Chapter 1 areas or not. I already rainbow S-ranked them all, so I don't want to be wasting my time re-battling them over and over trying to recruit only to find out I can't.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I can't quite help you here since I haven't tried it, but if it helps, this is what I observed:
- Replaying battles allow one to have a chance to win items in battle
- If you have already recruited a Sushi Sprite, then in the event that the Sushi Sprite were to be re-recruited, they will earn some experience and a few Skill points.

I have finished the entire first area, and I think I only have like one or two within the land that weren't recruited, and I think one of them is an otter (don't remember where it's originally found). I think you could just keep going since most of what's found early on can also be found later.

Thank you for reading.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Are there any advice to get the stacker triumph plates? The highest I got is 34 (which puts me in rank 7; next rank requires 36), but when I attempted to get higher than that it was all for naught since I can't get them in time. What I did was to use the power of extending the length of the stacking from 7 seconds to 8.5 seconds when a Skill is active, and I activated with Sun-o, who has a pretty long skill time limit (10+ seconds), and then I activated it during the Jubilee. For some reason I didn't get lucky with the plate I pulled it off, since usually I need to wait for the like-coloured plates to show up.

Also, do awakened Sprites (as in, evolved into a bigger form) have any advantages? I guess they have more defence, but I didn't compare. I only awakened two sprites: the cherry blossom one and the dragon one.

I am amazed that Sabokan (the cactus dude) gets great plates at a comparatively lower level. Seriously, at Level 18 he already lost the cyan plates (weakest power) long ago, can summon silver plates in the non-Jubilee stage, and in the Jubilee stage he can already summon black plates. It helps that his skill is to still Jubilee from the opponent. Jinrai needs to be at Level 20 to lose cyan plates, and even at Level 24 he still don't have silver plates in the non-Jubilee stage. I guess that's why he starts at Level 1 when he's first recruited.

Thank you for reading.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I read something about using the sprite with Buff Buffet to get the higher plate stacks, but I don't have it yet.

But in other news, my Inazo has possibly glitched. It seemingly evolved on its own without the little cutscene (I didn't see it and I dunno how I'd have missed it), and the new form isn't registered in the catalog. Well, the big form's icon appears on the small form's page, but the bigger form's page isn't there at all. It's weird.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I have already gotten 37 plates stacked, which I did naturally, funnily enough! However, the next level is... I wonder how on earth are you supposed to get 60 plates stacked. Yes, there is such a huge leap in level. I think the Level 9 Triumph Plates have a huge leap of requirement, such as this one. I think I read somewhere that the Puzzle Hut's Triumph Plate requires 50 30 for the last one, but I can't confirm that yet since I only reached Level 7 (20 puzzles), in which the next is only 25 puzzles.

Currently playing through the Volcano, which I selected first as opposed to the other choice. I wonder if I made the right choice since this one seems to be offense-oriented. Kojiro also has a new Sprite, once again cannot be pledged, and it has the ability to put some tubs on my side of the field that can't be used. The Sprites I encountered so far have these abilities:
- Do direct damage (300 in Level 1)
- Leech HP from the opponent
- Increase chance of breaking opponent's plates

In my journey, I have the following that I encountered, but not sure if they could be recruited:
- The otter that is used in the first two levels
- Fairy sprite that can shuffle sushi
- A rabbit-like sprite that Celia uses
- A crocodile sprite that Kodiak uses (Buff Buffet)
- A snowman sprite that Rio uses
Are any of these obtainable? I played the level with the second one a lot but haven't been able to recruit it.

Also, this is my favourite line so far:

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Never mind, I read the spreadsheet: none of them are able to be recruited at the time I encountered them.

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
The Imperial Rim is a nice place to train if you unlock it right away (available in Chapter 5). I got like 5 new sprites from the battles there, too. I'm pretty overleveled for Chapter 5, though (my Musashi is level 41, lol). I fought over and over to get rainbow S-ranks and all three stars on every stage before progressing, plus a lot more re-battles while trying for pledge plates. So I was able to do all the EX stages right away, which is what you need to unlock the Imperial Rim as soon as possible. But even being so overleveled, the later stages of it are still too tough to rainbow S/get all three stars (mostly just the "beat in under x seconds" stars).

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Ahaha, the story is so hilariously ridiculous (end of Chapter 5).
Obviously Tibaron was Musashi's father, but the reveal that he switched sides because the SLF discards the rice is just so wacky and yet fits so perfectly. And then the whole sequence of Musashi being paralyzed by his awe of Tibaron's sushi eating, so amazingly stupid.
I love it.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Ahaha, the story is so hilariously ridiculous (end of Chapter 5).
Obviously Tibaron was Musashi's father, but the reveal that he switched sides because the SLF discards the rice is just so wacky and yet fits so perfectly. And then the whole sequence of Musashi being paralyzed by his awe of Tibaron's sushi eating, so amazingly stupid.
I love it.

I love it too.

It's the classic "Father loves his job so much that he abandons his family for it, and his child, who falls into the same line of work for one reason or another, eventually meets up with him. Because the passion for their work runs in the family and it's destiny."

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I like how the otter and the mouse Sushi Sprites (I think they are called Uszo and Mouzo respectively) have practically useless skills (one focuses the Live Cam on the opponent, while the other focuses the Live Cam on the user), but the Plates they summon for their level is fantastic. Seriously, in Jubilee mode, they already have multiple black/gold plates, and I won't be surprised if a max level version of those sprites have an overall powerful slate. I guess one way to use them is to use a Favourite Sushi that activates when one skill is active, such as that one where you can hold the sushi plate for 8.5 seconds, since their skills last for a while (30 and 20 seconds respectively).

For Puzzle Mode, I did a trick where I took a snapshot to analyse the field, so that I can more easily get the intended solution. My max score was 35 only because I messed up at 36. I wonder if Musashi stopped making comments starting from 35, or if he will make a quip at 40.

The Imperial Rim is a nice place to train if you unlock it right away (available in Chapter 5). I got like 5 new sprites from the battles there, too. I'm pretty overleveled for Chapter 5, though (my Musashi is level 41, lol). I fought over and over to get rainbow S-ranks and all three stars on every stage before progressing, plus a lot more re-battles while trying for pledge plates. So I was able to do all the EX stages right away, which is what you need to unlock the Imperial Rim as soon as possible. But even being so overleveled, the later stages of it are still too tough to rainbow S/get all three stars (mostly just the "beat in under x seconds" stars).
Did you use the Legendary Black Belt (halves max HP, but increases score by 50%) to help you achieve those scores? I know I practically need to since some of those levels seem difficult to get rainbow S ranks on (and it helps that one of the Triumph Plates uses Black Belt as its objective). Volcano Ex-4 is one such level where even with the Belt it was still a challenge to get rainbow S rank.

Thank you for reading.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
So far I am in Chapter 6, in the Seashore area (I picked Volcano first). I would like to ask: if I chose to go to the Seashore first instead of the Volcano, would General Ausprey be there instead of Pursilla, or will Pursilla show up first no matter which place I picked first? I get the impression that Pursilla will always be first due to the Shrine Grove and the fact that wasabi is mentioned in the Raw Power list, which sounds like something that is tricky to play around. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

Are there any good places to grind for Skill Charms, besides the Puzzle Hut? From what I understand, the Puzzle Hut rewards these after about 30 wins, which is pretty difficult to get. At least they reward in bulk, which is good.

Thank you for reading.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I've already gotten every star and normal S rank in the game, but there's just one more rainbow S rank that I need to get:
Remote Island Area X-25, Parallel Warp #24 vs. Ausprey.
I've been trying for this the last few months (no, I don't cheat and change my system's clock because that can mess up things in other games, so I only get one day per month to attempt it), but I haven't had any luck so far. Has anyone else here gotten a rainbow S rank on this stage, and if so what strategy did you use to do it? I feel like I've tried everything but nothing's working. Today's the 24th so I'd love to finally be able to beat this before midnight today if possible so I don't have to wait until next month again...

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Just ordered this online as it was on sale. Eventually settled on the Switch version as it was slightly cheaper, and my 3DS' battery has really gone downhill in the last few months.

Can't wait to try it!

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Just ordered this online as it was on sale. Eventually settled on the Switch version as it was slightly cheaper, and my 3DS' battery has really gone downhill in the last few months.

Can't wait to try it!
You know you can buy 3DS replacement batteries? They're just the Switch joycon's batteries.

Congratulations on purchasing the game. I played it with 100% completion (All S ranked 3 stars).

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got this (3DS) now that it's around $20. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'm on the second area, and there is starting to be a lot more strategy than I initially thought. Hope the game keeps it up and stays engaging. I'm not sure how it can pull that off for 2+ more areas.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
Finally got this (3DS) now that it's around $20. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'm on the second area, and there is starting to be a lot more strategy than I initially thought. Hope the game keeps it up and stays engaging. I'm not sure how it can pull that off for 2+ more areas.

The game eventually becomes faster along with your skills. By the end of it you'll feel like you're playing an action game and it's amazing.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's so sad that this game was essentially forgotten. Yes, it was overpriced but I really enjoyed my time with it.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Damn, people should really jump on that. It's a huge shame how underlooked this game is.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ended up buying the switch version too for $10 on top of the 3ds version I already own. Needed an excuse to buy a capacitive stylus since I may make levels in MM2. So I bought sushi striker and TWEWY.

Anyway game controls wonderfully with a stylus and I'm still getting A/S ranks and 3 stars through the first chapter thus far.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Ended up buying the switch version too for $10 on top of the 3ds version I already own. Needed an excuse to buy a capacitive stylus since I may make levels in MM2. So I bought sushi striker and TWEWY.

Anyway game controls wonderfully with a stylus and I'm still getting A/S ranks and 3 stars through the first chapter thus far.
Oh that's actually a great idea. Grabbed a cap stylus for SMM2 as well so using this here actually makes lots of sense!

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
hey what cap stylus do y'all recommend? the ones that came with the DS systems aren't cap styluses, right?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
hey what cap stylus do y'all recommend? the ones that came with the DS systems aren't cap styluses, right?
I bought this one.
This one is a better deal as you get two.
Make sure to get a proper one with replaceable tips and maybe the two sizes. Not just a random cheapo version.

Note different countries have different stores shipping different brands but they seem to often be functionally the same thing. The one from the video below is only available on amazon US, for example. Just find a similar looking/feature-rich one.

This explains the different types you can get quite well:

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Just getting to this game (on 3DS). The story and presentation are bonkers as hell but also what are making it so awesome. I really wasn't expecting such a big and incredibly polished presentation on 3DS. The gameplay, though...well, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Hopefully, I'm just too early in. I just finished my first actual battle and got the sprite catalog. I've been hooked on Bejeweled 3 for about four or five months now and looking to devour any good match-3 puzzle games. This is definitely a good one, but I'm just not sure fully about how everything works. But again, this presentation just sucks you immediately in. I am surprised, though -- considering the rave reviews -- how seemingly short-lived its life and hype were.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Just getting to this game (on 3DS). The story and presentation are bonkers as hell but also what are making it so awesome. I really wasn't expecting such a big and incredibly polished presentation on 3DS. The gameplay, though...well, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Hopefully, I'm just too early in. I just finished my first actual battle and got the sprite catalog. I've been hooked on Bejeweled 3 for about four or five months now and looking to devour any good match-3 puzzle games. This is definitely a good one, but I'm just not sure fully about how everything works. But again, this presentation just sucks you immediately in. I am surprised, though -- considering the rave reviews -- how seemingly short-lived its life and hype were.
You just gotta keep at it, it keeps introducing stuff in almost every other battle.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
You just gotta keep at it, it keeps introducing stuff in almost every other battle.

Yeah, definitely will. Like I said, everything about this game's presentation is just so endearing and fun.

As an aside, the presentation has a silly overall feeling that kinda reminds me of Elite Beat Agents for some reason. Any connection there? Did those developers have a hand in this game perhaps?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yeah, definitely will. Like I said, everything about this game's presentation is just so endearing and fun.

As an aside, the presentation has a silly overall feeling that kinda reminds me of Elite Beat Agents for some reason. Any connection there? Did those developers have a hand in this game perhaps?
none whatsoever