• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Those PS5 and Series numbers.....are total???

As in including the DE and Series S??

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Japan is without a doubt Nintendo's market. Splatoon 3 be doing the Splatoon things there

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can people stop buying it so we can get a new one. I love switch but I would love a switch 2 more.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
I love how the chart speaks too much for itself

1 bar is the switch and the others whatever haha

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Japan is a nation of billions of people, so this is expected.

Seriously though, Switch is still healthy sales-wise, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is not in any rush to release a successor this year/next year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think next week is the price increase for PS5, hence the depressed numbers

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think next week is the price increase for PS5, hence the depressed numbers
Both PS5 and Series consoles combined were doing like 30-40k sales a week recently so I think it's something else. More likely both companies just didn't ship any consoles that week for whatever reason (could be because of Splatoon or some logistics thing).

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
cada40fac15951142da58f499516374c.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Those PS5 and Series numbers.....are total???

As in including the DE and Series S??
Xbox ususally sells awfully in japan so its business as usual
As for playstation this is a result of a long and slow decline of the brand there

Although to be fair to both this week seems worse than usual even for them
is it 98% country's console marketshare or 98% of the consoles sold last week..?

Sold last week

For all of 2022, Switch is around 70% marketshare i think

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
is it 98% country's console marketshare or 98% of the consoles sold last week..?

That's not the point. Is that this past week there were no restocks because the new one with the new price was coming. These numbers are just leftovers.
I know, it's just that with the situation of the PS5 software sales being literally unprecedented in terms of awfulness, making the case by raising the price of the hardware isn't likely to reverse course.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And people are wondering why we'll see PS4/Xbone games for another two/three years. Look at those other numbers, they're just dead there. Switch 2 in 2026 if that shit keeps up too, wowie.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sold last week

Both PS5 and Series consoles combined were doing like 30-40k sales a week recently so I think it's something else. More likely both companies just didn't ship any consoles that week for whatever reason (could be because of Splatoon or some logistics thing).
for Xbox, it fluctuates so I wouldn't say anything that denotes stability. with the price going up for PS5s soon, that would cause a spike in sales and Sony missing out on money, hence a smaller shipment. if shipments go back up following the price increase, I think that's a tell

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
And the console is in its 6th fiscal year, pretty impressive for your old hybrid. And still no pricedrop as well.

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021
Xbox ususally sells awfully in japan so its business as usual
As for playstation this is a result of a long and slow decline of the brand there

Although to be fair to both this week seems worse than usual even for them

Sold last week

the PS5 is also clearly not designed with the Japanese market in mind. I'd have to go dig out the surveys but things which rarely come up in discussion on here are according to market research highly prized in the Japanese market: small size, low power draw, etc. In other words, nothing like the PS5 (or Series X, Series S though...) That's actually true of many market niches outside of Japan too. Add that to the first and third party Japanese support (outside the biggest block buster titles which themselves are now largely aimed a the global market) and you've got a recipe for what's happening.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Japan is a nation of billions of people, so this is expected.

Seriously though, Switch is still healthy sales-wise, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is not in any rush to release a successor this year/next year.

That's enough time for about 300 more when is Switch 2 coming threads that started about 3 years ago!

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Serious question: Why do we get so many people saying Microsoft/Sony need to do more in Japan? They need more Japanese studios, need to appeal to that market more, etc? It seems like a largely lost cause but at the same time I don't fully see why it truly matters if sales were higher elsewhere than Japan.

Is it the tradition of the area in games? The idea that they can cut into Nintendo if they put the time in? I've thought about this before but never asked. I think both companies even say things like the Japanese market is important to us.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really amazing.

Deck gonna blow up in Japan.
from what I'm hearing, the Deck is priced outside of most people's budget. it's an enthusiast pc gamer's device and pc hardware is already expensive in japan

Should I post this in the "is a Switch 2 coming next year" thread?
whenever Nintendo pencilled in manufacturing, they can't really move from it

Serious question: Why do we get so many people saying Microsoft/Sony need to do more in Japan? They need more Japanese studios, need to appeal to that market more, etc? It seems like a largely lost cause but at the same time I don't fully see why it truly matters if sales were higher elsewhere than Japan.

Is it the tradition of the area in games? The idea that they can cut into Nintendo if they put the time in? I've thought about this before but never asked. I think both companies even say things like the Japanese market is important to us.
Japan is still one of the largest gaming markets