• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Serious question: Why do we get so many people saying Microsoft/Sony need to do more in Japan? They need more Japanese studios, need to appeal to that market more, etc? It seems like a largely lost cause but at the same time I don't fully see why it truly matters if sales were higher elsewhere than Japan.

Is it the tradition of the area in games? The idea that they can cut into Nintendo if they put the time in? I've thought about this before but never asked. I think both companies even say things like the Japanese market is important to us.

Fanboyism (ex- someone owns an Xbox so of course they want it to be successful in other countries and not just where they live).

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
AMAZING but god dammit this'll make them put off a hardware refresh for an additional year ahahahahaha I hate love them. #Team2025 who's with me

The thought of splatoon 3 with even just good anti-aliasing brings me to tears it'd be so glorious... we're never gettting it lol

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Serious question: Why do we get so many people saying Microsoft/Sony need to do more in Japan? They need more Japanese studios, need to appeal to that market more, etc? It seems like a largely lost cause but at the same time I don't fully see why it truly matters if sales were higher elsewhere than Japan.

Is it the tradition of the area in games? The idea that they can cut into Nintendo if they put the time in? I've thought about this before but never asked. I think both companies even say things like the Japanese market is important to us.
I think it's a combination of: people like Japanese games and franchises and would like to play them on their Microsoft or Sony machines, and Splatoon 3 sold something like 3.5 million copies in Japan in 3 days or something – it's not exactly an irrelevant market sales-wise. Yeah sales are higher elsewhere (with "elsewhere" being a fairly small number of markets, notably NA), but there's still millions of copies that can be moved in Japan.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017

At least for Sony, it used to give them an edge over MS. PS3 was super competitive with the Wii in Japan, only a couple million lower I think. PS4 did slightly less than PS3 but still solid numbers. Given that the numbers for NA are usually much tighter in the Sony vs MS fight (360 did higher than PS3, but PS4 did higher than Xbone), having an extra ten million to toss in the pile often was the deciding factor of who had the biggest install base in any given gen.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo be like, why even try, let's make the Switch's product lifecycle 10 years and pocket the Switch 2 R&D budget.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017

The same reason it works behoove Nintendo to increase it's stake in western markets. It's indicative of a healthy platform and good for the brand and sales. Granted Nintendo is killing in western markets as well, but it's arguably their weakness.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Question. Is this a bad thing?
Yes. No competition at all is a bad thing. Hopefully Sony can regain some marketshare and Microsoft can carve out a better niche as well. People will use thinly veiled console warrior excuses to why Nintendo is the good guy and should have complete marketshare in Japan but tell that to the 3rd party devs and publishers that have struggled with the shift (in Japan). It leads to them relying a lot more on foreign investment and catering to more western tastes to find success globally (although that can sometimes be a good thing). I also have to wonder how this affects the traditional market in Japan long term. What happens if Nintendo puts out another Wii U? Would something replace it or would the market completely collapse? Would it lead to more megacorps from the US and China gobbling up everything? Would that be a good thing in the long run? I don't know but its an uncertain thing.

Some publishers of course have successfully shifted strategies with multi platform development and global focus like Square Enix but there's also the consumer to keep in mind when there is potentially less choice (in regards to things like high end gaming).

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
More surprised at the physical/digital split for Splat3 sales tbh. Almost half. Maybe Japan is catering to digital more than we thought

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah PS5 really hasn't found its way into the hearts of Japanese gamers yet, because really what essential software is there for that demographic.

That said, maybe Capcom goes and announces Monster Hunter World 2 exclusive to PS5/Series X and that could go a long way to changing that whole outlook.

Then again, MHW2 could very well end up a cross gen product because of what the market in Japan is like- so we will see..

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Sony need a portable ps4 and then keep going with cross gen?

Sony decided that it isn't worth the hassle after how the VITA was received.

It's more important to them and to Xbox (tbh) how much they sell worldwide. They won't go hybrid/handheld worldwide because of one country (even if it's japan).

In 1-2 generations i could totally see this change though thanks to cloud gaming and more powerful base hardware. After some time we'll get to a point were better graphics won't be such a big deal anymore. Outside of Cloud gaming, high end PC and maybe a pro model console i think most games will run almost identically on every modern system and these base system could totally work in a hybrid/handheld form. Like how Xbox Series S and X work. S would be a hybrid system like the Switch and X would be the more beefy console version.

Hardware will stop being the differentiator and the games will take center stage. All 3 of them are working on this future in some capacity.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly there barely has been any exclusive PS5 games, and not really any that appeal to the JP market.

That combined with how hard it is to get the system, the price increase, and the fact most games are still getting PS4 releases, doesn't really behoove more sales.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
With this kind of dominance, there is no incentive for Nintendo to rush out their new hardware. Like at all.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pm71ur44ly1wn6cpj_540.jpg

With this kind of dominance, there is no incentive for Nintendo to rush out their new hardware. Like at all.
How else are they going to get over 100% of the market? Nintendo will be so successful, they'll even break the laws of statistics.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
This is why you should never take anyone seriously who tells you that Nintendo are in trouble.

They have been delivering for decades and have honed their craft to perfection.

Last edited:

Isotope

Nov 7, 2017
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021
Last week the hardware sales are especially high. But even in most normal weeks Switch outsells all other consoles combined by 3 to X times.

Playstation is by now almost irrelevant for japanese consumers.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If anyone is saying, Sony is the market leader in Japan need to remember we arent in PS2 days.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the PS5 would be selling on par with the Switch if Sony wasn't experiencing major supply chain issues in manufacturing, but the gap would certainly be closer as I'm hearing it's still hard to find PS5's on shelves in Japan. Although Nintendo has also experienced some supply chain issues themselves, they haven't been quite as severe, presumably due to the PS5's chip being more high end than the the one Switch uses. Nintendo choosing to have underpowered hardware paid off in an unusual way this generation, and it's also why I don't think they're in a hurry to push out a Switch 2

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
mPi8Yuw.png

Close. Last year, from November 29 through December 12th (two weeks time), the Switch had an average marketshare of 98.64% (98.53% from November 29th - December 5th & 98.75% from December 6th - December 12th).

xu9POm8.png

rBB2IAQ.png

All 3 graphs via Install Base.

Is that the flag of Japan?

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
The same reason it works behoove Nintendo to increase it's stake in western markets. It's indicative of a healthy platform and good for the brand and sales. Granted Nintendo is killing in western markets as well, but it's arguably their weakness.

I guess I was wondering more along the lines of why it is touted as so important. Maybe that's just lip service from corporations I don't know. Many big brands compete in a limited fashion in some markets. I'm also not sure that I agree it's indicative of a healthy platform. Microsoft is in much better shape I think we can all agree than say 5 years ago and yet it is barely selling in Japan still.

Could Microsoft make massive investments (and I know they have already made some) to try and capture more of this market? Yes of course but do they need to do so? That's the part I question. obviously all markets are important to a company that they sell in and yet it seems like I always hear about how important Japan is to Microsoft and Sony and I don't hear that as much about certain other countries.

Not to say I don't think they should try more just wondering how important it is.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Question. Is this a bad thing?

Kind of. JRPG-ass JRPGs like Soul Hackers 2, Tales of Arise, or even Scarlet Nexus seem to keep faceplanting in sales when they can't manage a Switch release.

Square's big-budget RPGs are increasingly focusing on Western tastes for the same reason. If it's turned-based and doesn't have a Switch port, it tends to not exist.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Allow me to explain why it is imperative that they get a successor out immediately.

....lol

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Wow only 98%? Nintendo going third party inevitable at this point. See you on gamepass.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
AMAZING but god dammit this'll make them put off a hardware refresh for an additional year ahahahahaha I hate love them. #Team2025 who's with me

The thought of splatoon 3 with even just good anti-aliasing brings me to tears it'd be so glorious... we're never gettting it lol

Back in 2018, it was said anytime someone mentions "Switch Pro", it is delayed by 1 hour. Who knows how many years it has been delayed.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The market leader in gaming has always been determined by units sold, at least according to Sony.

Though PS4 is still ahead of Switch so the argument can still be made in their favor anyway.
Switch will probably pass PS4 (worldwide sales) by the end of the year. The gap is down to 6 million units. I'm not sure what the Japan breakdown is

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Switch will probably pass PS4 (worldwide sales) by the end of the year. The gap is down to 6 million units. I'm not sure what the Japan breakdown is
The Japanese breakdown is 26 million for Switch and 9.4 million for PS4. Switch is undoubtedly the market leader in Japan and I don't think anyone would actually question that. Worldwide is a bit more debatable I think.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

People say Microsoft should do more in Japan because Xbox only gamers are relatively starved of Japanese games.

People say Sony should do more in Japan because they're a Japanese company.

Tie both those sentiments up with the broad affinity for Japanese stuff that a lot of enthusiasts have and yeah you'll get a lot of desire for a more Japanese angle.

ChaosSaga

Oct 25, 2017
Around Hyrule

Well there is other things that people need to picture;

Game developer starts normaly by people that like playing games.

If the people in X country play more of X system than Y system, chances that those new developers will want to make games that they played.

You too have to count IP that have merchandise, low sales = low mindshare = less renevue from merchandise.

in 10 or 20 years almost all new developers in their majority will have played at least a nintendo system and never played a playstation one, think about that.

This "losing Japan" isn't only bad because "money" but long term industry health. Can other countrys became a new Japan to Sony while retaining lots of Japanese IP? Maybe, but only time will tell.

Jan 15, 2019
I don't understand the "lol people think Switch 2 is coming soon" sentiment. Designing, lining up everything logistically to manufacture a new console, and developing launch titles for it presumably takes two-ish years minimum. Am I to understand Nintendo would see that the Switch is still selling well and be like "Damn, the system hasn't cratered and forced us into panic mode, let's just scrap our plans and wait until it's an emergency."

Anyway, pretty incredible sales figures. Kinda weird to think such a bump was even possible with Splatoon 2 already on Switch, but maybe a lot of these sales were to kids who were a little too young to be into video games when Splatoon 2 launched.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I get the thread but it's not like ps5s are sitting on the shelves collecting dust. Just didn't ship many that week