• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 runs really well with some slowdown here and there although it's basically a locked 60fps if you set the CPU overclock to Max Overdrive +2

Gonna test Metroid Prime, Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and True Crime next

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Damm. Getting harder and harder to resist the temptation, especially whilst Nintendo straight up displays no interest in letting us play anything between 1992-2017 on our Switch.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Simpsons: Hit and Run runs at 30fps in the open world and 60fps in interiors. The IQ is really rough but I might make a video on it. Gotta set CPU speed to 20% in Dolphin settings to get it to work nicely.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Is there any compatibility list of what games work well?
All Dreamcast games run really well through Reicast

With GC, there's nothing official so far but I'm going through all the GC games I own now and might put something together idk

There's quite a few games that refuse to boot like the Spider-Man games which sucks

I just got two different answers lol
You can still do this and retain access to all of the Switch's features + online and stuff if you've set up an emuNAND. Think of it as a secondary OS on your Switch where you can do all the homebrew stuff. A clean sysNAND means you can go online with less chance of catching a ban.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
Can I do this with my launch switch and still use the eShop and online services?
I have it hacked, both for Lakka and CFW and I keep the switch in air-plane mode when in CFW, then when I want to go online I just boot it with normal firmware and connect back to internet, never had any issue. Do not take it for granted that my case is a guarantee of no ban, just sharing my case (never used emuNAND, just two firmwares)

(to clarify, never had anything on the switch that is not a mod or emulation, if you start installing games you don't own I think that's dangerous land)

Nov 23, 2017
All Dreamcast games run really well through Reicast

With GC, there's nothing official so far but I'm going through all the GC games I own now and might put something together idk

There's quite a few games that refuse to boot like the Spider-Man games which sucks

You can still do this and retain access to all of the Switch's features + online and stuff if you've set up an emuNAND. Think of it as a secondary OS on your Switch where you can do all the homebrew stuff. A clean sysNAND means you can go online with less chance of catching a ban.

Is there a written tutorial on all this somewhere? I'd love to give it a read. Also, thanks for the reply and help. :)

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I'm seeing a lot of questions in this thread and I thought I'd take the time to answer some them (I've been playing with Lakka for the past week):

1. What type of Switch do I need?
A: You need a Switch that was bought before July 2018. These Switchs have a hardware flaw that allows for custom firmware and payload injection that was patched followed July 2018. If you are unsure if your Switch is hackable, this serial number chart may come in handy.

2. What is the risk of a ban?
A: It depends on the type of firmware you are running. If you are running a modified form of Horizon (The Switch's Default Operating System), then there is a pretty good chance of banned should the console interface with Nintendo's servers. In these cases, airplane mode is heavily recommended. If you are running Lakka or some other Linux based system running off an sd card, then there should theoretically be zero risk of a ban, as the Switch's NAND won't be touched. I have been using Lakka for the past week and I'm currently have not been banned.

3. Is there any type of tutorial out there for hacking a Switch?
A: There are several tutorials for getting cfw and Lakka up and running, here are several that I have linked below:

Nintendo Switch Haxing Reddit Tutorial Thread (This subreddit has a blanket ban on talks of piracy for those concerned)
SD Setup's Noob Switch Hacking Guide (This is good for getting your Switch hackable; I personally would not recommend downloading any firmware from there site however, for I don't know if they have the latest versions of each type of Homebrew.)
Lakka's Install Page and FAQ Page (Note: Lakka can only run emulators; it has no other utilities or functionalities)

There is also the post Vestan made directly below mine, it is perfect for those who are only concerned with getting Lakka running, and includes the exact same steps I took to get Lakka running. I hope this helps out anyone who is curious.

Last edited:
Written guide on how to get L4T Lakka set up
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Is there a written tutorial on all this somewhere?
Kind of? I made a guide for another Era user but I guess there's no harm in posting it here. It's quite simple really although you do need a secondary microSD card formatted to FAT32

1. Download L4T Lakka here https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/archives.html
  2. Drag all the contents of that RAR file into your FAT32 SD card's main directory
  3. Go into /lakka/storage and make a folder called "ROMS"
  4. At this point, you drag your ROMS in, if you want to be a neatfreak like me, organize them by console name so for example "/lakka/storage/ROMS/GameCube" etc
  5. Put your Switch in RCM mode
  6. Download this Hekate payload https://github.com/Joonie86/hekate/releases/download/4.10.2J/hekate_ctcaer_4.10.2J_AIO.7z
  7. Open the 7z file, Extract the .bin file somewhere on your PC you'll remember (I have a folder in my Downloads called "Switch Homebrew", you don't need anything else that's in the 7z file)
  8. Now push the Hekate payload to your Switch using your preferred method (I use TegraRCMGUI)
  9. Now go to your Switch, a screen should appear
  10. Using the volume and power buttons, navigate to where it says "Launch" and push the power button
  11. Then you should see an option called "More Configs", navigate to it using the volume buttons then press the power button
  12. Then finally it should say "Lakka", push the power button down and you're in

Now that you're in L4T Lakka, we need to make a few changes so Lakka can brute force through Dreamcast, GameCube and Wii games.

1. Go to Settings, select User Interface, and enable "Show Advanced Settings"
  2. Afterwards, back out and a bunch of new options should appear in the Settings menu
  3. Scroll up and you should see "Drivers". Open that up and go to the "Video" option, change it from "gl" to "vulkan"
That changes it from OpenGL to Vulkan which improves performance tremendously. However, you'll need to overclock for most GC games to achieve playable speeds. You can do that by

1. Going to the Main Menu (it's the one to the left of Settings)
  2. Go to CPU Overclock, open it up, and setting it to "Maximum Performance"
  3. Next, back out and go to GPU Overclock which is below CPU Overclock, open it up and enable "Handheld Boost Mode"
And that's it! You're ready to play. Obviously you can experiment with these overclock settings if you want to push your Switch to the limit but Maximum Performance for CPU and Handheld Boost Mode for GPU is more than enough for most games out there. Worth mentioning that if you don't save your configuration file, everytime you exit Lakka, these overclock settings will be changed back to the defaults.

Nov 23, 2017
Kind of? I made a guide for another Era user but I guess there's no harm in posting it here. It's quite simple really although you do need a secondary microSD card formatted to FAT32

1. Download L4T Lakka here https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/archives.html
  2. Drag all the contents of that RAR file into your FAT32 SD card's main directory
  3. Go into /lakka/storage and make a folder called "ROMS"
  4. At this point, you drag your ROMS in, if you want to be a neatfreak like me, organize them by console name so for example "/lakka/storage/ROMS/GameCube" etc
  5. Put your Switch in RCM mode
  6. Download this Hekate payload https://github.com/Joonie86/hekate/releases/download/4.10.2J/hekate_ctcaer_4.10.2J_AIO.7z
  7. Open the 7z file, Extract the .bin file somewhere on your PC you'll remember (I have a folder in my Downloads called "Switch Homebrew", you don't need anything else that's in the 7z file)
  8. Now push the Hekate payload to your Switch using your preferred method (I use TegraRCMGUI)
  9. Now go to your Switch, a screen should appear
  10. Using the volume and power buttons, navigate to where it says "Launch" and push the power button
  11. Then you should see an option called "More Configs", navigate to it using the volume buttons then press the power button
  12. Then finally it should say "Lakka", push the power button down and you're in

Now that you're in L4T Lakka, we need to make a few changes so Lakka can brute force through Dreamcast, GameCube and Wii games.

1. Go to Settings, select User Interface, and enable "Show Advanced Settings"
  2. Afterwards, back out and a bunch of new options should appear in the Settings menu
  3. Scroll up and you should see "Drivers". Open that up and go to the "Video" option, change it from "gl" to "vulkan"
That changes it from OpenGL to Vulkan which improves performance tremendously. However, you'll need to overclock for most GC games to achieve playable speeds. You can do that by

1. Going to the Main Menu (it's the one to the left of Settings)
  2. Go to CPU Overclock, open it up, and setting it to "Maximum Performance"
  3. Next, back out and go to GPU Overclock which is below CPU Overclock, open it up and enable "Handheld Boost Mode"
And that's it! You're ready to play. Obviously you can experiment with these overclock settings if you want to push your Switch to the limit but Maximum Performance for CPU and Handheld Boost Mode for GPU is more than enough for most games out there. Worth mentioning that if you don't save your configuration file, everytime you exit Lakka, these overclock settings will be changed back to the defaults.

Wow, that doesn't sound bad. I'll give it a try when I have a chance and let you know. One question I did have, can I use the same SD card to store non-Lakka files in there after the hack? Like can I put some eShop downloads and save files back on it or do I only have the 32 GB internal memory to work with?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Just tried out Metroid Prime. It hovers around 30-35 fps but man there's a fuckton of slowdowns. Not sure why anyone would want to play the game like this when the Wii and GC versions run it at a beautiful 60fps.

can I use the same SD card to store non-Lakka files in there after the hack?
Why not just get two SD cards? One for Lakka and the other for everything else.

Nov 23, 2017
Just tried out Metroid Prime. It hovers around 30-35 fps but man there's a fuckton of slowdowns. Not sure why anyone would want to play the game like this when the Wii and GC versions run it at a beautiful 60fps.

Why not just get two SD cards? One for Lakka and the other for everything else.
So I can just swap them with no issues? I mean, I wouldn't mind that.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Would this Jakka program be helpful when it comes to me running mods on the eShop Final Fantasy VII download or is that another beast altogether? Is Jakka just an emulator itself?

Different but super straightforward, you will need specific switch mod for ff7 and boot with Custom firmware into atmosphere. If you manage to get into Lakka you already have done the biggest step tbh, then it's a matter of dropping the mods into a specific folder and good to go. Out from home atm but happy to type later how to sort it out.

Nov 23, 2017
Different but super straightforward, you will need specific switch mod for ff7 and boot with Custom firmware into atmosphere. If you manage to get into Lakka you already have done the biggest step tbh, then it's a matter of dropping the mods into a specific folder and good to go. Out from home atm but happy to type later how to sort it out.

Gosh, that would be rad. Sorry to get too off topic but can you mod your FF VII save file? I'm still mad that I missed Trine on my 4th Enemy Skill materia lol

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
FFS Nintendo. Let me buy Gamecube/Wii/N64 games.

I remember before the Switch launched some "insiders" were saying that Nintendo had a working Gamecube emulator ready to go for Switch. Probably wasn't true, but I remember how exciting that was.

It seems like Nintendo has become very complacent with the Switch. It's selling well. They don't need to improve the UI. They don't need to add more classic games. They don't really need to do anything, which is unfortunate.

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
Holy shit.
I'm gonna lose updates and access to store and online if i do this right

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember before the Switch launched some "insiders" were saying that Nintendo had a working Gamecube emulator ready to go for Switch. Probably wasn't true, but I remember how exciting that was.

It seems like Nintendo has become very complacent with the Switch. It's selling well. They don't need to improve the UI. They don't need to add more classic games. They don't really need to do anything, which is unfortunate.

It was the main reason I was so excited for Nintendo's next handheld. Even before Switch was revealed I knew that the Virtual Console would finally be able to offer these newer systems.. it made so much sense!

And now here we are, over two years later..

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god if homebrew can get freaking TimeSplitters running on the Switch then as soon as Nintendo puts out a revision I am hacking the crap outta my launch unit hnnnn

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Fwiw, I think what Vestan/OP is referring to and what others are posting screenshots of are two different things.

Lakka is it's own OS (Linux 4 Tegra/L4T as it's base) that boots from an SD card and only runs Retroarch, doesn't touch internal storage at all (ie. is undetectable).

Others are posting modified versions of the Switch OS which can either be run via modifying the OS on the internal storage

PS. Saturn:
9OyPEurl.jpg

Dreamcast:

Arcade:
Please
Please tell me

About how Saturn runs

Please I beg you...

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Safer IMO. Don't have to worry about blocking DNS addresses or IPs or whatever, it just runs on it's standalone SD card. I flat-out don't trust anything that even touches the internal NAND, even emuNAND.

Whether it's better performance-wise or not, I dunno. But IMO, any minor performance difference ain't worth it.
Looks like a bunch of cores are actually working work on Linux-only right now, especially with the exclusive Vulkan support turned on, like the Reicast and the Yaba Sanshiro ones.
It's understandable but kind of a shame since Lakka it's still missing some basic feature like docked mode and wireless controller support.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Does the LAKKA dolphin emulator support using the joycons as wiimotes?

I would love to have Wii Sports Resort and Wario Ware available again

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Behold the hacker tech that defeated the beast that was nintendo switch security.

Dbep2KZV0AA-DWz.png

Lets hope they do better with switch pro

/SnakeSalute

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Older Switch models have a hardware exploit that cannot be fixed by any firmware update, meaning that any firmware can be hacked as long as the developers for the CFW keep up with development. Newer models have this exploit fixed, and so can only be hacked on very old FW versions and do not give the same degree of control over the system.

So even at the latest 8.0.2 or whatever it is is still hackable for Lakka? Brilliant.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How is Wii support on Lakka? That's super interesting.

I really like the sounds of this but having to be tethered to a computer every time you want to enter Lakka is a bit of a put off.

I might do it if I won't get banned for it though.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still sucks that you have to put a fuckin' paperclip in your Switch (or the Joycon?) to hack it. Can't be bothered.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Still sucks that you have to put a fuckin' paperclip in your Switch (or the Joycon?) to hack it. Can't be bothered.
I mean there is a jig that makes it a lot easier to get into recovery mode. Furthermore, once you get it into recovery mode, there is a setting on hekate that allows you to make it so that the Switch boots into recovery mode every-time, regardless of whether you have the correct set-up or not; you would theoretically only need the jig/paperclip once. It really isn't that big of a bother.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Decided to give Sonic Heroes a go and it sadly isn't running too well. Putting the emulated cpu at 50 percent seems to be the sweetspot in terms of performance vs slowdown but even then its only fullspeed about half the time. Still really impressed that it's able to run at all though

Edit: Turning off Vsync helps tremendously. It's probably full speed around 80% of the time now at max performance and 95% of the time max overdrive +3

Last edited: