• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm also inclined to agree that Mother 3 was actually happening and still might.

It's been rumored too many times

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Mario Tennis Aces is build on the foundation of Mario Tennis Wii U. Simililarly, a new Smash Bros could use 4 as a foundation and build up on that. This doesn't mean that either game would be lacking in new content, though, just that the devs used an existing game as the foundation for something new.

Which, honestly, would be the smart thing to do in Smash Bros' case as it's honestly a waste of time and resources to design everything from scratch again.

This is what I think as well. Smash Switch will probably be a sequel much in the same way that Aces and Splatoon 2 are sequels: mechanically largely unchanged, but small refinements and a lot of new content. This probably best fits the rumored fall release window too.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A full on story mode would be the one thing that would get me to want smash switch, since I know Ridley won't happen in a port. Like subspace done right.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It has to be 100% this.

I came to the same conclusion as you. Looking at how they stealth dropped Earthbound Beginnings for the Wii U VC, and Star Fox 2 for the SNESC, I'm confident Mother 3 will come to Switch's VC as a surprise too.
It's here where I have to remind everyone that Earthbound Beginnings and Star Fox 2 only happened because they were already 100% completed and were just sitting around in a digital drawer. They did zero extra work on either of them, which is why I am so adamant about Mother 3's English (+more) release definitely not ending up on Virtual Console but in remake form.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Did you miss the "no" and "isn't"? This is about NintendoLife writing a dumb news article based on a tweet from 2016.

Wait NL actually wrote an article based on a bad RT? Yikes, sounds like a simple mistake that could have easily been avoided.

Oooof. Now I feel silly but hearing about that article just makes me surprised that they'd fall for it. I took the thing as a silly tease. Thanks, paranoia... Seems we're safe on that front for now.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
A full on story mode would be the one thing that would get me to want smash switch, since I know Ridley won't happen in a port. Like subspace done right.
I missed subspace a lot in Smash 4. Even if it could've been better, it felt like a big and cool experience. There really should be a replacement in Smash 5

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even know how you'd tackle a localization of Mother 3 in 2018. There's some... uh... questionable content that is gonna have people up in arms whether they change it or not.

If there's a remake, and that's a big if, it better look like this:

Mother3_02.jpg

lol

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't even know how you'd tackle a localization of Mother 3 in 2018. There's some... uh... questionable content that is gonna have people up in arms whether they change it or not.

Mother3_02.jpg

lol
Nintendo has rated the series as T ever since the Virtual Console rerelease of EarthBound. Considering how much they got away with in T rated games like Xenoblade 2, there's nothing that would have to be censored or edited in Mother 3's case.

I'm tired of seeing that argument posted on the Internet.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo has rated the series as T ever since the Virtual Console rerelease of EarthBound. Considering how much they got away with in T rated games like Xenoblade 2, there's nothing that would have to be censored or edited in Mother 3's case.

I'm tired of seeing that argument posted on the Internet.

Uh, I'm talking about the visual representation of Black people

Reggie.png
default_img-thing__3_.jpg

and the magypsies being straight up caricatures of cross-dressers. Not sure that's gonna fly in the West, especially the former.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Because it's clearly using the Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash engine. Similarly, Smash for Switch will be the first Smash "sequel" to borrow its mechanics from the previous game. It'll use the same engine as Smash 4, but will feature a sequel's-worth of new content.

if its just called Smash for Switch, lets just call it am enhanced Smash 4 with more content.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
It's here where I have to remind everyone that Earthbound Beginnings and Star Fox 2 only happened because they were already 100% completed and were just sitting around in a digital drawer. They did zero extra work on either of them, which is why I am so adamant about Mother 3's English (+more) release definitely not ending up on Virtual Console but in remake form.

I've always entertained the idea of a trilogy release, so I could see that happening in this scenario.

(On that note, I've always to see a Beginnings remake with EB/Mother 3 graphics and more content/general polish and the like)

Uh, I'm talking about the visual representation of Black people

Reggie.png
default_img-thing__3_.jpg

and the magypsies being straight up caricatures of cross-dressers. Not sure that's gonna fly in the West, especially the former.

Reggie, the Magypsies and the infamous Ionia hot spring scene are the most prime candidates for localization edits.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever so long as it's in English, but I really do wonder what they'd do with the Magypsies

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Can't they just change the characters if they remake Mother 3?
No because then they'd "ruin" the game by "changing the original vision of the creators" with their evil "censorship" please sign my petition for firing the people potentially responsible now!

Mother3_02.jpg

lol

Expect something like this instead:
mlrmkbmuog.jpg

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
There's really no point for Nintendo to do anything with Mother 3 at this point. Tomato's fan translation is perfectly serviceable and any one who wanted to play M3 already has by now.

In an ideal world, it'd be nice if Nintendo made some sort of deal with Tomato to officially utilize his translation for usage on the Virtual Console (I recall him saying he was open to something like that), but that will literally never happen, so yeah.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is something wrong with my eyes or everyone else's? The M&LSS remake is absolutely gorgeous and how a remake of a top-down pixel art game should be.

I think it looks fine, just that Mother/Earthbound has a particular style strongly associated with it and it's not gonna be easy to replicate something that recaptures the same vibe.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Is something wrong with my eyes or everyone else's? The M&LSS remake is absolutely gorgeous and how a remake of a top-down pixel art game should be..

Nothing wrong with your eyes it's your taste and if you like it then it's fine. I simply don't like it as it completely destroys the charm the original GBA version had. I also didn't like the artstyle of A Link Between Worlds.

Jacob LeBeau

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Expecting Mother 3 at this point is like expecting a good Sonic Team game. No offence to anyone, bit I think you guys have your expectations WAY too high.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Is something wrong with my eyes or everyone else's? The M&LSS remake is absolutely gorgeous and how a remake of a top-down pixel art game should be.
I like it. I think one issue is that some of the characters lose the funny emotion faces, but it mostly looks good. I still think BiS looks the best in the series though.

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
We've had insiders said it was coming. I'm going to believe it is coming.
There's also the fact that Reggie has explicitly hinted that it's coming, but people here believe that Reggie is a disingenuous corporate mouthpiece who would never drop a legitimate hint. I disagree. He would know about any localization efforts. He also hinted at a "new Donkey Kong experience", which he would be privy to if it was being developed by a North American development team, presumably Retro.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There's also the fact that Reggie has explicitly hinted that it's coming, but people here believe that Reggie is a disingenuous corporate mouthpiece who would never drop a legitimate hint. I disagree. He would know about any localization efforts. He also hinted at a "new Donkey Kong experience", which he would be privy to if it was being developed by a North American development team, presumably Retro.
He would know one way or another. They know what NCL is doing. They're not sitting at NOA waiting for those mystery Confidential Nintendo Direct rundowns that list all the upcoming games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Plus he mentioned Mother 3 with Metroid here, and basically put his money where is mouth was with telling people to see him in a year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I do find it hilarious when people don't think Reggie knows lol. Please this is a business. He leads a branch of Nintendo. The new DK experience is going to be the DK ride at Universal Stufios (joking). A new DK game will come in some fashion.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's been over a year since he said that, and there's still no Mother 3, lol.
But there are two new metroids announced which cancels out the no mother 3, plus an extra point. That part was clearly more hinting at metroid though because he said key ip's with fans waiting for a new game. It just shows he wasn't bullshitting again.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's really no point for Nintendo to do anything with Mother 3 at this point. Tomato's fan translation is perfectly serviceable and any one who wanted to play M3 already has by now.

In an ideal world, it'd be nice if Nintendo made some sort of deal with Tomato to officially utilize his translation for usage on the Virtual Console (I recall him saying he was open to something like that), but that will literally never happen, so yeah.

So portraying black people in Mother 3 is fine with you?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Back in 2015, the hints that Mother 3 was about to drop were really hot, and there was a really strong consensus formed from insider tips and fan conjecture that it was basically about to happen any minute. I don't think I ever saw so many people 100% sure of something completely unproven, except for maybe Pokémon Stars.

But I bought into the hype with so much veracity. My friend who was in a really well-established fan-group told me he was hearing some really reassuring stuff. Wanting to help stoke the fan fever, I posted the link to their private Slack he shared with me privately in an ongoing hype thread.

I don't think anything really happened other than it being a big breach of trust with a friend who shared something with me privately that I immediately shared publicly. But I had to apologize and back-pedal and I made a huge fool of myself. I still feel terrible about it.

Whenever talk about localizing Mother 3 comes up, I remember the time I broke my friend's trust and embarrassed him in front of a group of friends that meant a lot to him.

So I really hope the game comes out so that I can hopefully get some closure on that incident. Then I can just buy a bunch of people copies of the game as some sort of misplaced need for atonement. I love Mother 3 and I hope I get to play it again as an official release. But I've built up so much baggage as a dumb fan desperate for news that I just need it to finally happen so I can let all this grief go.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
But there are two new metroids announced which cancels out the no mother 3, plus an extra point. That part was clearly more hinting at metroid though because he said key ip's with fans waiting for a new game. It just shows he wasn't bullshitting again.
And, as we all know, if you ask him about Mother 3, you get fireball'd. So ...do so at your own risk. XD

Jacob LeBeau

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I know I'm not sounding hopeful, but I'd keep hype into check just in case nothing happens regarding mother 3...again.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I still believe in Mother 3 coming someday, might take a long time but I really want the West to experience this amazing game.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I believe Nintendo is holding on Mother 3. Too much insider information, and that E3 thing where Reggie fireballed someone was too mean spirited if it was fake. The question is, why are they holding on to it? I doubt they wanted to announce it for Wii U, and there is no real place for it on Switch, right now (there being no VC or gaps in release dates). So I agree with others that it is in limbo. Maybe they even decided to just remake it, replacing the culturally insensitive material.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...are you quoting the right guy here? I was just saying there wasn't much of a point for Nintendo to re-release or remake Mother 3 for the west considering there's the fan translation that's a perfectly fine way of playing the game.

Ok. I don't care about a fan translation, sadly. I never played Mother 3 and I didn't know about this visualization of black people or cross dressers in the game.

I always thought Nintendo would release the game on VC, but for a game that's so highly demanded from Nintendo things like these would become a huge issue considering the spotlight it would get today.

I think Nintendo will put the resources in and remake Mother 3 or do whatever it takes to change characters in the game. Nintendo does not want any part of politics like that.

Jacob LeBeau

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I believe Nintendo is holding on Mother 3. Too much insider information, and that E3 thing where Reggie fireballed someone was too mean spirited if it was fake. The question is, why are they holding on to it? I doubt they wanted to announce it for Wii U, and there is no real place for it on Switch, right now (there being no VC or gaps in release dates). So I agree with others that it is in limbo. Maybe they even decided to just remake it, replacing the culturally insensitive material.
...would they really remake a game from a franchise that only has, like, 3-4 games?

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I think it looks fine, just that Mother/Earthbound has a particular style strongly associated with it and it's not gonna be easy to replicate something that recaptures the same vibe.

What type of vibe is it giving off? I dont see anything wrong with the two characters given thats how they were created to begin with. Altering the appearance to cater to a crowd diminishes the style the game originally offered.

So portraying black people in Mother 3 is fine with you?

I didnt see nothing wrong with the black character judging by the pixelated features and Im black.

Status
Not open for further replies.