• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
TV only Switch bundled with pro controller makes sense at a very budget $150 price point. So not just yet. I think we'll see it at the end of the life cycle like Wii mini

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
A Switch TV + a controller would easily come in less than $199. A Pro doesn't cost Nintendo $70. A Lite doesn't cost Nintendo $199. Settling in at around $150 creates a sense of value.

But why?

TV only Switch bundled with pro controller makes sense at a very budget $150 price point. So not just yet. I think we'll see it at the end of the life cycle like Wii mini

Maybe. I expect it's easier to discount the then-cheaper-to-produce OG Switch and Switch Lite come the end of the life cycle.

When is the end of the life cycle anyway? There have been Switch 2 rumors from day 1.

Nah. It's something you put out sooner not later.

But why?

I swear I'm not being pedantic about this. The Switch is selling. What's their highest margin item? Probably the Switch Lite followed closely by the Switch and it's "$90" dock I could probably 3D print for a dollar.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
My thoughts exactly. Im not going to sit here and say I'm an expert in tech, because I'm not, so even though my gut tells me SMD is a fraud and a full of BS, when someone starts just rambling like he does,and you see the following he has and the fact that someone like rich has him on, you start to question it.
Its because people like to hear that a nintendo system will have some secret power. Even if it's not true and he takes advantage of that

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
But why?

Maybe. I expect it's easier to discount the then-cheaper-to-produce OG Switch and Switch Lite come the end of the life cycle.

When is the end of the life cycle anyway? There have been Switch 2 rumors from day 1.

But why?

I swear I'm not being pedantic about this. The Switch is selling. What's their highest margin item? Probably the Switch Lite followed closely by the Switch and it's "$90" dock I could probably 3D print for a dollar.
Because there is a section of the market that wants a Nintendo "console" without the mobile aspect. A cheap alternative caters to them and would cost Nintendo nothing to market. The chipset is done. The tech is done. The R&D is done. If it sells then it is a bigger market share for Nintendo. If it bombs then it doesn't hurt the brand. It's a third option for a market that will never undock a Switch. It's a cheap option and gives this minor sector of the market the product they may seek. It isn't meant to replace anything. It's a companion release that is just there.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Switch TV should either match existing clock profiles or preview an incoming profile.

I could totally see a Switch 2 TV 6-12 months ahead of the Switch 2. It would be an interesting if non-intuitive gambit.

As far as controller pack-ins go, I would expect a choice of joycons or a pro controller, but I also think relying on retailer bundles is an option. GameStop being able to advertise a bundle of a Switch TV with a wired PowerA or PDP controller for $150 would be pretty powerful for sales.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Because there is a section of the market that wants a Nintendo "console" without the mobile aspect. A cheap alternative caters to them and would cost Nintendo nothing to market. The chipset is done. The tech is done. The R&D is done. If it sells then it is a bigger market share for Nintendo. If it bombs then it doesn't hurt the brand. It's a third option for a market that will never undock a Switch. It's a cheap option and gives this minor sector of the market the product they may seek. It isn't meant to replace anything. It's a companion release that is just there.
and then they release firmware NX1.0 and when you couple a Switch Lite to your Switch TV you get all Wii U functionality back. #boom #e32020gethype #itsawiiforyou

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
A Switch TV will only make sense if it's somehow either cheaper than the Switch or everything gets a massive price drop.

Like Lite = $79
Switch = $149
Switch TV $199

Because paying more than $300 for a Switch that doesn't Switch doesn't make sense, but nor does a home console less powerful than a PS4 that costs more than it.

So my suggestion above is the only way I could see a Switch TV selling.

I think a slightly beefier Switch designed around a more pleasant experience (more stable frame rates, slightly higher resolutions, AA, better draw distances) and app multitasking (such as finally having the voice chat app built into the system), maybe throw in a higher pixel density screen, that'd makes more sense than a "TV" model at the moment.

They'd still have to reduce the price of the Switch Lite and the Switch down by $50 but it's probably more sensible.

Lite = $149
Switch = $249
Switch Deluxe = $349

Offcourse that Switch TV would be cheaper, looking current price points it would be something like this if Switch TV is now released:
-Switch - $300
-Switch Lite - $200
-Switch TV (no screen, no Joy Cons, no all other parts needed for handheld play, shipped with Switch Pro controller) - $200

Why would they remove those?

Yes, they did it for the Switch Lite, but that's because it's a portable unit.

A home console, however, is prime territory for selling stuff like fitness and dancing games along with Labo. All of those require JoyCons. The market for a system without those would be absurdly small.

See. Absurdly small market! ;)

Controllers, with or without motion control stuff, would be a requirement. They're never going to sell a unit without a controller of some sort because folks would be pissed when they got home and had no way of starting it up and playing games. All you would be doing is removing the cost of a screen and that's not enough to justify a new SKU with marketing and everything. It makes no sense to me.

Point would be to cut costs in order to have cheaper price point, and Nintendo wouldn't have nothing against if you want those games to play to buy onother par of Joy Cons.
Pair of Joy Cons cost more than Pro Controller, Pair of Joycons have more sensors, two batteries, Joy Con Grip, more parts...than Pro Controller has.

If you want all those games and local multiplayer out of box, than better buy regular Switch.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
A "Switch TV" could absolutely happen. Remember this golden Iwata quote:
Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase.
With the Switch Lite, Iwata's long-term goal finally became reality:
we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually
Now that everything is consolidated, there's an opportunity for even more form factors without sacrificing software output.

It would presumably be even cheaper than the Lite, and yet another way to get people into the Switch ecosystem, subscribe to their service, pay for their games. It's already clear that Switch is a system that provides many different ways to play. I wouldn't be surprised.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

And that section isn't willing to pay $300, but is totally, completely willing to pay $150 knowing they get a gimped system in which they'll have to buy more accessories to get full functionality?

I think most people who say the Switch is too expensive and has overpriced accessories (because it totally does) would only jump in very late in the game and cater to about a large an audience as the Vita TV.
A "Switch TV" could absolutely happen. Remember this golden Iwata quote:

With the Switch Lite, Iwata's long-term goal finally became reality:

Now that everything is consolidated, there's an opportunity for even more form factors without sacrificing software output.

It would presumably be even cheaper than the Lite, and yet another way to get people into the Switch ecosystem, subscribe to their service, pay for their games. It's already clear that Switch is a system that provides many different ways to play. I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not against the idea of a Switch TV in the long term, but I simply don't see a reason for it:

Iwata said:
Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

I simply don't think there's a demand for this. I feel like Nintendo has answered the demand for a cheaper Switch already.

If there will ever be a super cheap Switch TV bundle it'll come so far down the road no one will pay it any attention as the Switch 2, an iterative device a la Apple, will be coming out or is already out. And even then I simply don't think the demand will be there as Switch Lite will be able to have its price dropped to the point they're scooping up the people who want a Switch.

This is the core of why I think all this Switch TV talk is unnecessary. You are already seeing Nintendo's response to people wanting a cheaper Switch. If people want the "full" experience then those people can buy a Switch. This $200 price point is not going stay $200 for the lifespan of the Switch family.

If someone can prove there's a demand for an uber stripped down Switch TV thing then I'm all ears. The only demand I see is in threads like this one, but perhaps it's just the circles I swim in, ya know?

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
If someone can prove there's a demand for an uber stripped down Switch TV thing then I'm all ears. The only demand I see is in threads like this one, but perhaps it's just the circles I swim in, ya know?
As a counterpoint, I'd like you to prove there isn't demand for it other than "I don't think there's demand" and "I only see demand in threads like this"

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
As a counterpoint, I'd like you to prove there isn't demand for it other than "I don't think there's demand" and "I only see demand in threads like this"

I'm not the one making the claim that there's demand for a Switch TV though.

That said, my proof is that the Switch is still selling well and Nintendo just released the Switch Lite, a unit 33% or a full $100 cheaper.

If the Switch was doing poorly and there was a pent up demand for a dirt cheap Switch device, then I would expect there to have been a price cut on the OG unit (a la 3DS price cut). Instead we see a cheaper device and yet people are claiming there's a contingent worth going after that wants an even cheaper Switch? Well, yeah, I'd love for stuff to be dirt cheap, but Nintendo (and Sony and Microsoft) isn't in a price race to the bottom. Heck, the best example folks can give for a Switch TV is the Vita TV and that thing only happened because Sony was trying to salvage any money they could from a failed (outside of Japan) platform.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
PS4 and XBox One and NES and SNES minis are your proof. There is demand recently for video game systems that require a TV made by big companies including Nintendo.

The proof has been front and center for every metric except for Nintendo actually producing and marketing the thing.

Last edited:

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
And that section isn't willing to pay $300, but is totally, completely willing to pay $150 knowing they get a gimped system in which they'll have to buy more accessories to get full functionality?

I think most people who say the Switch is too expensive and has overpriced accessories (because it totally does) would only jump in very late in the game and cater to about a large an audience as the Vita TV.

I'm not against the idea of a Switch TV in the long term, but I simply don't see a reason for it:

I simply don't think there's a demand for this. I feel like Nintendo has answered the demand for a cheaper Switch already.

If there will ever be a super cheap Switch TV bundle it'll come so far down the road no one will pay it any attention as the Switch 2, an iterative device a la Apple, will be coming out or is already out. And even then I simply don't think the demand will be there as Switch Lite will be able to have its price dropped to the point they're scooping up the people who want a Switch.

This is the core of why I think all this Switch TV talk is unnecessary. You are already seeing Nintendo's response to people wanting a cheaper Switch. If people want the "full" experience then those people can buy a Switch. This $200 price point is not going stay $200 for the lifespan of the Switch family.

It isn't "gimped". It's the same hardware and will perform the same as a docked Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo hasn't answered the "I want a cheaper switch without it being handheld portion". They answered the "I want a cheaper switch as a handheld" people.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm looking forward to the next rumor. Because it seems that this has become an official Switch TV topic instead of a general rumor archive.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017

That said, my proof is that the Switch is still selling well and Nintendo just released the Switch Lite, a unit 33% or a full $100 cheaper.
That's only proof that the console is selling well, not that there's no demand for it.
By that logic, even the Lite wouldn't exist. The original console was (is) selling extremely well.

Like Nate said, it's not about releasing yet another stripped down version of the main console, with less features and such. It would exist to cover a certain demographic, just like what the Lite is doing right now.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I'm looking forward to the next rumor. Because it seems that this has become an official Switch TV topic instead of a general rumor archive.
There was a rumour of it. I almost posted it here, but didn't like the source.

That all said, we could probably have a Nintendo Speculation Community thread.

Edit:

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not sure if there is enough demand for a TV-only Switch. Manufacturing (well, mass producing) different consoles costs a lot of money. They knew the demand was there for the Lite because of how successful Nintendo handhelds are. The only successful home console which I guess you could compare a cheap TV-only Switch to would be the Wii but there's no guarantee of that audience still being there. Getting apps like Netflix/Prime on the system would certainly help too.

There was a rumour of it. I almost posted it here, but didn't like the source.

That all said, we could probably have a Nintendo Speculation Community thread.

Edit:

Yeah that rumour is false. There is no way that a home console will only have 64 GB of storage in 2021.

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
A Switch TV could go as low as 150. It doesn't even need to come with a controller and go even cheaper. The question is if people would buy that as a primary console or just a Nintendo box or second Switch. Its important to be a primary box of you want third party support. A powerful Switch TV that functions as some kind of super dock makes more sense to me. People that main Switch and already own the hybrid would be more inclined to buy AAA content for it if they can get a full 4k experience on the TV and still play portably.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Not suggesting that. 2020 TV. 2021 Hybrid. 2022 Lite. All announced e3 2020. Maybe shift years a bit or two in one year. Always with the straw men you guys.

I understand what you mean for what it's worth, but i do not believe that it would be a sound strategy. Being an hybrid is what made it special, and i believe they'll try to get that from the beginning of the next generation.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Not suggesting that. 2020 TV. 2021 Hybrid. 2022 Lite. All announced e3 2020. Maybe shift years a bit or two in one year. Always with the straw men you guys.

That'd be real dumb on Nintendo's part since that'd mean the people wanting both would have to wait a full year, meaning a significant loss of revenue and the first year is usually integral to a console's success (see the PS3 catching up to the 360 like 4 years in).

I think a TV model would be likely but it absolutely wouldn't be initial and they definitely wouldn't announce it until the hybrid already has a solid userbase, then they can start appealing to the niches.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I would defo buy a Switch TV only device. I like my OG Switch a lot but I barely use it in handheld mode so I'd get a TV device and then mod the shit out of my launch Switch.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Not suggesting that. Suggesting that they could start the next switch generation with a TV console before the hybrid and handheld only models.
I could see them launching a more powerful Switch TV in 2020, but I can't see them positioning it as a "next-generation Switch" in 2020. Instead, it'd have a way to output select current-gen Switch games at higher res, and it'd be able to play future Switch 2 (or whatever) games that can't run on OG Switch.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You're falling back to your assumption that there's no market Nintendo console that requires a TV.

There's a market, but it's a small one, past Nintendo home consoles have shown that. Nintendo are rightly looking to differentiate themselves from Sony and Microsoft and is a major reason why the Switch is so successful.

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
Why would they start a new generation with a form that doesn't have any proof of success and that nobody knows what the size of the market for it even is? Nintendo is dumb sometimes but not dumb enough to do that lmao.

The current Switch is a proven success. People love the hybrid nature of it. Nintendo needs to continue it and use it as the main model, the first model, for the next console too. Nintendo would be completely stupid to follow it up with a tv-only console that is weaker than the others(It has to be if it uses mobile chips so it can be compatible with the hybrid and lite models later on) and that nobody knows if there is a big enough market for it.

There obviously is a market for a tv-only Nintendo console. A tv-only Nintendo console that is basically the same as the playstation or xbox and gets multiplat games etc. There is that market and it might be a big one. It MIGHT be. Nobody knows. What we know and Nintendo knows is that there is a VERY big market for the hybrid one. I don't see there being a market for a tv-only Nintendo console that is weaker than the rest, doesn't have most big multiplatform games and that was proven a gazillion times.

starting with a tv only console seems kinda dumb

Edit: oops, pressed post reply too soon lmao

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You wouldn't launch your next system with the tv only system...even if you tell people the hybrid is coming a year later. That ain't flying in Japan. You start off with the one that people love the most and it's the hybrid. Everything else comes after to appease certain markets.