Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From Square-Enix last Q&A :

"Recently, games have developed two extremes at the high- and low-ends, but with the switch there is a chance for middle-range software to come back into the scene."

-"In this, there are areas we are well-suited to, and possibilities for multiplatform development, and we have high expectations for the Switch. We will put in the investment and develop for the platform."

Octopath Traveler would have to count as mid-tier right? A 3rd Bravely Default game would also fall in that category.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Traveler would have to count as mid-tier right? A 3rd Bravely Default game would also fall in that category.

Yes I think so.

Square Enix has a lot of "mid-tier" IPs that they can use. Their mid-size games are often among their best outputs too. They also said that no IP is out of the table regarding their Switch support.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thread, and kind of tiring to read if I'm honest. I'm still of the opinion that it's hard to predict how well the Switch will do long term, whether your outlook is positive or negative. Even at this point in the PS4's life time, if you'd have told anyone that in 4 year's time the system would have shot past 70m a lot of people would have scoffed. I personally won't feel comfortable with a solid prediction until we actually see YoY sales trends, perhaps towards mid-late 2018.

What we're seeing at the moment is really promising though, and more than anything, I'm hoping it provides a security blanket for Japanese developers to flourish.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thread, and kind of tiring to read if I'm honest. I'm still of the opinion that it's hard to predict how well the Switch will do long term, whether your outlook is positive or negative. Even at this point in the PS4's life time, if you'd have told anyone that in 4 year's time the system would have shot past 70m a lot of people would have scoffed. I personally won't feel comfortable with a solid prediction until we actually see YoY sales trends, perhaps towards mid-late 2018.

What we're seeing at the moment is really promising though, and more than anything, I'm hoping it provides a security blanket for Japanese developers to flourish.

I think you can safely claim that it should reach 3DS sales at a minimum. Not necessarily 3DS LTD sales since we don't know if the Switch will have the same 6-7 year life span, but right now it's following the same trajectory without having a price cut, and thus a lot more room for lower prices in the future.

Now, I think that's the floor because the Switch is going to get a lot more compelling software than the 3DS simply due to Nintendo's combined output, and third parties also not having to split focus. The Switch is also taking off in the West like the 3DS never did, and is only behind the 3DS in Japan due to supply problems, which will be alleviated next year. So it would be a bit strange if it didn't start to overtake the 3DS worldwide with all that going for it.

It's definitely hard to peg down a narrower range though, for many reasons. Not the least of which is we have no idea how long its life span will be. Could be 5 years, could be 8. And we don't know how many revisions there might be, and how they will be classified.

But I feel comfortable giving it a broad range of 60M to 120M.

Oct 29, 2017
From Square-Enix last Q&A :

"Recently, games have developed two extremes at the high- and low-ends, but with the switch there is a chance for middle-range software to come back into the scene."

-"In this, there are areas we are well-suited to, and possibilities for multiplatform development, and we have high expectations for the Switch. We will put in the investment and develop for the platform."

I definitely foresee the switch as being the rise/resurgence of AA games at least in Japan, though I can see some developers in the west moving towards producing some mid-tier games ala Boderlands and Knack

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean there's no way in hell sales are going to stall anytime soon. Third parties are going to provide a lot more games for it, Pokemon has yet to release, Dragon Quest will be huge on it at least in Japan, Pokemon has yet to be released and that will be an absolute monster, and it has plenty of room for more revisions and price cuts that will drive sales up. The Switch has a lot going for it, even more than the 3DS. It has nowhere to go but up.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's a remarkably stupid and self evident point.

"If you don't care about playing home console games on your TV, buying a Vita and a PS4 for remote play is a bad deal."
"If you don't care about portability, the price of a Laptop is bad deal !"
" If you don't care about anything but writing SMS and making phonecalls, the latest iphone is a bad deal."

Like, it is self evident, that it is incredibly intellectually dishonest to handwave away major selling points ( for the majority of consumers, I might add) because you personally aren't interested in said feature and then shit up a thread because device X isn't tailor made to your wishes.

Saw some Southwest deals for a two-way ticket to Thailand, thought it was to Singapore. Terrible deal.

Am I doing this right?

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
Hi, your post is quoting me but I didn't post that, not sure how it's quoted a post I didn't do? I haven't taken part in this conversation. Maybe a mod can figure out why I'm getting quoted when I haven't even posted looking at my history. Strange.
I remembered seeing the quoted post, and I looked back on the entirely unlikely chance I could find why it would attribute it to you.

Turns out the post is gone, and it actually links to your post in this thread here. I figure that's just how the system deals with missing quoted posts.

I hope developers use the Switch to develop mid-tier games and try more experimental ideas. With the high-end market spoken for and with high-end games not likely coming to the Switch, it'd be nice to see smaller efforts rewarded from all fronts.
I really want to see what "mid-tier" games make it to the console. Nintendo could easily provide some as well, maybe giving Pandora's Tower a second lease on life.

With the month nearly ending, when is the next time we can expect a good glimpse at how the system has fared?