• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Currently at 17.3M shipped, just behind Diamond & Pearl (17.67M), Gold & Silver (23.1M) and Red, Blue & Green (31.38M).

RBG's record is impossible to reach, but considering that SwSh will have DLC to further carry it and since no new games are releasing this year, it should continue to have good legs to comfortably put it above 20M. It has a chance, thanks to its great word of mouth, to become the second best selling Pokémon game of all time.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess it is what it is. Congrats to Game Freak & everyone else involved, but I hope that the devs get the time that they need to finish the game next time around. Sword/Shield was very clearly rushed, & the overall game suffered for it.

With that said, I'd imagine that the game will have longer legs thanks to DLC.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney

Currently at 17.3M shipped, just behind Diamond & Pearl (17.67M), Gold & Silver (23.1M) and Red, Blue & Green (31.38M).

RBG's record is impossible to reach, but considering that SwSh will have DLC to further carry it and since no new games are releasing this year, it should continue to have good legs to comfortably put it above 20M. It has a chance, thanks to its great word of mouth, to become the second best selling Pokémon game of all time.
giphy.gif

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
They will surpass DP without doubts, idk about GS but I liked SwSh (not a masterpiece but "a normal Pokémon game that can be enjoyed by everyone") and I'm happy they did good.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Let's hope that the DLC approach will give GF more time to make an even better next game, whether it be Gen 9 or Sinnoh remakes.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's an impressive performance, and it's got a DLC roll-out and a second holiday without competition in the market to come.

Legs are already good too- notably higher in Q4 than other recent titles. It's not a sure thing, but Gold and Silver may be reachable.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Very well deserved especially since they embraced DLC. A much better game than vanilla Diamond and Pearl.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just for some context

Here are the numbers for launch to March 31st in respective launch years since launches were worldwide

X/Y: 12.26 million
ORAS: 9.94 million
Sun/Moon: 15.44 million
USUM: 7.51 million
Let's Go: 10.63 million

Its increase for its second quarter is almost double the increase any of those had.

With no game this year to cut its legs off, I'm sure it'll eventually hit 20 million

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oop. i was making a thread, guess i took too long. i'll just post it here

screenshot2020-05-07a5fjex.png

sales of pokemon games on 3DS (source):
Pokémon X/Y: 16.44M
Pokémon Sun/Moon: 16.18M
Pokémon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire: 14.26M
Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: 8.70M

next quarter, it'll most likely (well, certainly) surpass the sales of all DS pokemon games as well:
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl: 17.67M
Pokémon Black/White: 15.64M
Pokémon Black 2/White 2: 8.52M
Pokémon Platinum: 7.60M

it has already surpassed the sales of all GBA pokemon games:
Pokémon Ruby/Pearl: 16.22M
Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen: 12M
Pokémon Emeral: 7.06M

bonus (sales of the game boy games):
Pokémon Red/Blue/Green: 31.38M
Pokémon Gold/Silver: 23.10M
Pokémon Crystal: 6.39M

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Let's hope that the DLC approach will give GF more time to make an even better next game, whether it be Gen 9 or Sinnoh remakes.
That's what I'm hoping for. It'd be heart-breaking if the Sinnoh remakes ended up being as rushed as Sword/Shield were (namely due to how much I loved Platinum), let alone Gen 9.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good job, guys! The boycott worked!

In all due seriousness, Pokemon at this point has gotten too big to fail.
Too big to fail doesn't tend to mean it's actually growing, though. Like it or not, these titles have found an audience that like them, apparently more than they've liked Pokémon in a while.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think the game is very bad but its success is undeniable.

I hope the DLC can salvage it somehow, but I skeptic about it.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): antagonising other members
So much for that boycott huh 🤡

#Dexit amarite 🤡 🤡 🤡

Jun 2, 2019
Well deserved. With my limited free time I've already put 170 hours on it and get decently ranked on each season.

It's one of the best Pokémon games, shortcomings and all

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great game and outside of the hardcore gaming bubble I've only heard people praise it.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

And all that at a $60 price point..

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't have happened to a less deserving pokemon game. Oh well, I guess that's the Switch effect. DLC instead of third version means it will keep selling for a longer time than normal too

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
That's what I'm hoping for. It'd be heart-breaking if the Sinnoh remakes ended up being as rushed as Sword/Shield were (namely due to how much I loved Platinum), let alone Gen 9.

They need to stop the remakes. Now that they are dealing with HD console hardware a company like Game Freak needs to focus on the main instalments, just imagine how much better Sw/Sh could have been if Let's Go hadn't been made. If they want to keep doing remakes, they need to outsource them to someone else, like all other developers do.

Oct 29, 2017
So even Pokémon gets the Switch bump, eh?

It's a good game. I like Galar, like pretty much every new Pokémon and appreciate the way they're handling DLC instead of a third version. Understand people's criticisms of it and hope they improve for the next game.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Werent the gameboy games 30 dollars? So it is already the pokemon game with the most revenue

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018

Also, just throwing it out there, generally speaking: The Sinnoh remakes will be remakes of Diamond and Pearl. Not Platinum. Just like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were remakes of Ruby and Sapphire, not Emerald. I honest to god still don't understand the outcry for no Battle Frontier in ORAS when that didn't even exist in Ruby/Sapphire in the first place? Don't go expecting the Distortion World to be in Sinnoh remakes, it probably won't happen.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I'm happy for GameFreak and Nintendo, and it's great to see the franchise is still strong (and seemingly getting stronger). Regardless of how the game turned out to be I always expected it to do really well as the Switch is stupidly popular, and it's the first fully new HD title you can play on your TV. I don't know if I see it surpassing GS' figures but it could be possible I suppose.

I wasn't happy with the game. Looking back on it I definitely think it's my least favourite of the bunch, but there's some good things in there that I hope they improve on for next time.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
At $60, twice the entry cost, and half the Pokédex. Unbelievable.

I enjoy Shield and will be there day 1 for the expansions but this is the weakest Pokémon game ever. I can only hope they take the criticism and feedback to heart with the D/P remakes.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I guess there goes the incentive for TPC and GF to change anything. Ah well...
Just because a game sells well doesn't mean they don't listen to constructive criticism.

SWSH actually contains so many features and QoL improvements that people have been requesting, for example.

At $60, twice the entry cost, and half the Pokédex. Unbelievable.

The US price of $60 is only 50% higher than 3DS games, not twice the cost. It's also not a standard. In Japan, for example, the price was only 20% higher at 5980 yen over 4980 yen. Similar discrepencies globally

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I really hope they can go back to four-year gens. The three-year cycle started to hurt with the 3DS games, to be honest.

i'd say it specifically started hurting(and by no coincidence) right as the proper '3D' games started, while content-wise B/W and B2/W2 were peak pokemon despite coming right before.

the 3D games seem to take a lot more resources/time than GF or their publisher is willing to afford. pretty sure we're gonna stay stuck like this until they decide to change their minds on a major note

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Also, just throwing it out there, generally speaking: The Sinnoh remakes will be remakes of Diamond and Pearl. Not Platinum. Just like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were remakes of Ruby and Sapphire, not Emerald. I honest to god still don't understand the outcry for no Battle Frontier in ORAS when that didn't even exist in Ruby/Sapphire in the first place? Don't go expecting the Distortion World to be in Sinnoh remakes, it probably won't happen.
HeartGold and SoulSilver set the expectation of incorporating content from the third versions into these remakes, so if anything, it just further emphasises how much of a letdown ORAS was.

It's not like i'm going to go in expecting EVERY piece of content Platinum added to be brought over in the inevitable Sinnoh remakes... but could they at least listen to people asking for the Battle Frontier this time?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just because a game sells well doesn't mean they don't listen to constructive criticism.

SWSH actually contains so many features and QoL improvements that people have been requesting, for example.

I mean my issues with the game go far beyond QoL stuff and I didn't care one iota about the National Dex controversy.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The US price of $60 is only 50% higher than 3DS games, not twice the cost. It's also not a standard. In Japan, for example, the price was only 20% higher at 5980 yen over 4980 yen. Similar discrepencies globally

By entry cost I'm referring to $300+ for a Switch and whatever tier of online sub compared to a 2DS/3DS and free online.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean my issues with the game go far beyond QoL stuff and I didn't care one iota about the National Dex controversy.
But the point is that they do listen to fans when the fans are providing proper constructive criticism and not wailing on every single tweet
By entry cost I'm referring to $300+ for a Switch and whatever tier of online sub compared to a 2DS/3DS and free online.
Ah yes. Don't forget the cost of the TV, electricity and house

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't believe some people think DP and XY were better than base SWSH lol