• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Summarised Update New

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Updates, summarised from ABC's live feed.

The current death toll remains at six - five women, one man - with a further twelve hospitalised. Two of the people killed have no family in Australia and authorities are trying to contact their families overseas. Police have released the identities of four of the deceased.

One woman who was hospitalised has been discharged. Of the eleven still hospitalised, five remain in ICU.

The attacker's family contacted police after viewing the footage and have been assisting. They have expressed support and concern for the welfare of the police officer who shot the attacker.

The attacker had a history of unspecified mental illness. NSW Police Commissioner Webb said that the man had come to the attention of both NSW Police and QLD Police for "mental health-related issues", but not criminal matters. He had no criminal history in Queensland, and no court records for DVOs. He had never been charged with knife-related offences.

He is not known to have had any connections to "conservative Christian religious groups", with QLD Police Assisstant Commissioner Lowe saying: "There is no ideology that would suggest this matter has a religious focus, has a political focus, or any ideology or religious motivation, to our understanding, that would contribute to an individual going into a crowded place and committing a crime of this nature."

It has been noted that many of the victims were women. NSW Police are still investigating. QLD Police have said that they have no information with regards to this fact.

Nov 14, 2017
Apparently one of the victims was Faraz Tahir, a Pakistani refugee working his first day as a security guard. A special fuck you to all the deadshit racists in Australia and abroad who decided to tell baseless lies to exploit an unfolding tragedy to spread their bigotry. And one more to all those like Riley who've doubled down on it after the fact.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah everyone talks about raising awareness but actual resources or I dunno, putting more mental health care on Medicare? Nah
You get 10 subsidized appointments a year you are still out of pocket $100 for each appointment then after the 10 well fuck you I guess max price. And thats for Psychologists, don't get me started on Psychiatrists and those costs jesus fucking christ.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Apparently one of the victims was Faraz Tahir, a Pakistani refugee working his first day as a security guard. A special fuck you to all the deadshit racists in Australia and abroad who decided to tell baseless lies to exploit an unfolding tragedy to spread their bigotry. And one more to all those like Riley who've doubled down on it after the fact.

Special shout out to Channel 7 who outed some random dude as the attacker based on right wing twitter accounts

Hope he takes you to the cleaners for defamation!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Special shout out to Channel 7 who outed some random dude as the attacker based on right wing twitter accounts

Yup, hoping for this to happen. "Journalists" need to stop using random twitter accounts as news. I mean, it's bad enough with games here but this is serious stuff.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yup, news outlets as well as the random people on X or whatever, needs to be held accountable when spreading untrue information. Getting stuff like this wrong can destroy the lives of people who had nothing to do with the incident being reported on, it's unacceptable behavior.

A while back there was a murder here in Denmark on New Year's Eve where a young woman was murdered in the basement of the apartment complex she lived in, meaning she was discovered in a place relatively few people would have a key for. The police arrested a suspect who lived in the same apartment complex and the media immediately began reporting about this man with photos and name, however the police cleared him of suspicion soon after as they found out he couldn't have done it.

Now this poor guy that the media went to bat on had his life ruined, he got fired from his job as everyone believed he was some monster and did't receive any compensation from the news outlets because there wasn't really any to get. This is why we should never jump to conclusions and only take verified information as credible.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
Aside from the security guard who tried to stop him, all but one of the victims were women.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty crazy how this horrific attack was instantly abused by bad agents. First people claimed it was someone pro Palestine then others claimed it was a Zionist only for the attacker having no political affiliation at all

MessyLessy

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty crazy how this horrific attack was instantly abused by bad agents. First people claimed it was someone pro Palestine then others claimed it was a Zionist only for the attacker having no political affiliation at all
Yep. For anyone's sanity don't read about this case on social media. Even with the identity now released it's just straight racism everywhere you look.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
www.theguardian.com

Bondi Junction stabbings: killer Joel Cauchi may have targeted women and children, NSW police say

Stabbing murderer’s parents speak about their son’s mental health after government announces coronial inquiry into the six deaths
www.abc.net.au

Bondi Junction attacker 'focused on women and avoided the men', police commissioner says

Westfield Bondi Junction will open 'within a week' following the stabbing deaths of six people on Saturday, but an investigation into what happened could take months.

A main line of inquiry for police will be whether the man who fatally stabbed the six people deliberately targeted women and avoided men.

Queenslander Joel Cauchi has been identified by police as the man who took a knife from his backpack on Saturday afternoon and stabbed five women and one man to death and injured several others.

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb said while investigators were looking into the 40-year-old's past and a possible motivation for the attack it was "obvious" to her that Cauchi was targeting women.

"The videos speak for themselves, don't they?" she told ABC News Breakfast on Monday.

"It's obvious to me, it's obvious to detectives that it seems to be an area of interest that the offender focused on women and avoided the men."

Strike Force Mcauley has been launched to investigate the deaths, with NSW Police saying the investigation could take "weeks and months".

Last edited:

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Deleted, like clockwork. Yeah with her comments around Jeremy Corbyn she raised flags for me.
She is also a TERF more critically. Her latest tweet manages to paint herself as the victim, claiming she cannot walk the streets of London because she is Jewish, when the irony is, she has made herself a target through the vile extremist nonsense she posts on social media. Fuck her.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
www.theguardian.com

False claims started spreading about the Bondi Junction stabbing attack as soon as it happened

Some accounts falsely linked the attack to Islamist terrorism, while others identified the wrong man, with the error repeated by a TV network
www.abc.net.au

Ben was falsely accused of stabbing six people to death. Here's how this falsehood spread

For 14 hours over the weekend, Sydney university student Ben Cohen was one of the most reviled men on the internet, falsely accused of the Bondi Junction stabbings. Here's how the lie spread around the world.
For 14 hours over the weekend, Sydney university student Ben Cohen was one of the most reviled men on the internet after he was falsely accused of being the knifeman who went on a stabbing rampage in a Sydney shopping centre, killing six people.

The ABC has pieced together how anti-semitic and pro-Kremlin accounts turned Mr Cohen into an internet villain.

The trail was uncovered using social media analysis, datasets provided by disinformation experts, archives provided by anti-fascist research group the White Rose Society, as well as interviews with Mr Cohen, his family and the accounts spreading false claims about him.

"It's extremely disappointing to see thousands of people mindlessly propagating misinformation without even the slightest thought put to fact-checking or real-life consequences," Mr Cohen told the ABC.

"And then using that information to push an agenda and spread hatred."

Here's how the falsehoods — later amplified by 7 News, which has since blamed "human error" for its role in spreading misinformation — unfolded.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Schizophrenia huh. I recently worked in a job where I was sat next to a schizophrenic customer telling me he wanted to kill everyone in the room.

I didn't take him seriously at the time and felt no threat, but thinking back now it sends a chill down my spine.

Instead of getting the help he actually needed, he was attending a stupid forced appointment at a job agency for compliance to receive his welfare payments.

I'm sure this dude was cycled through the same bullshit system and his mental health was probably worse for it.

OP
OP
deadasdisco

deadasdisco

Jun 10, 2018
I live 1km away from this church and it feels like there's been helicopters hovering over my place for hours and sirens non-stop. Had to close my windows for my dog's sake.
It's pretty insane, even unhinged international Twitter commentators jumping on it I think. Hope your dogs calm and comfortable :(

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Jesus. My mum called me the other night scared about the stabbing and saying how "this was only the start" and how others would follow suit. I told her she was being daft and this was a freak one off occurrence.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Hopefully just a freak coincidence and not a copycat trend.
Seems to be unrelated, but a religiously motivated terrorist attack?

NSW Premier Chris Minns confirmed the stabbing attack of a bishop in Sydney's south-west was being investigated as an act of terrorism.

At least two police officers have been injured as large crowds clashed with authorities following the stabbing of a bishop during a live-streamed church service in Sydney's south-west last night.

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb said she had declared the incident a "terrorist act".
www.abc.net.au

Live: Sydney church stabbing being investigated as 'terrorist act', authorities say

At least two police officers have been injured as large crowds clashed with authorities following the stabbing of a bishop during a live-streamed church service in Sydney's south-west last night.

Last edited:

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping the remaining hospitalised victims pull through without any further casualties.

The speed with which people instantly assigned this person different specific religions and ethnicities, simply to further their biggotted views against said groups really shouldn't be surprising anymore.

Deleted, like clockwork. Yeah with her comments around Jeremy Corbyn she raised flags for me.
She is also a TERF more critically. Her latest tweet manages to paint herself as the victim, claiming she cannot walk the streets of London because she is Jewish, when the irony is, she has made herself a target through the vile extremist nonsense she posts on social media. Fuck her.
Saw the news stories and then stumbled upon these posts. I don't follow Rachel Riley at all, so this is the first I'm hearing she's an awful person with a pattern.

www.independent.co.uk

Rachel Riley says ‘sorry’ after tweet suggesting Sydney attack was Islamic extremism

Countdown star is facing calls to be sacked by Channel 4

Feb 20, 2024
Hoping the remaining hospitalised victims pull through without any further casualties.

The speed with which people instantly assigned this person different specific religions and ethnicities, simply to further their biggotted views against said groups really shouldn't be surprising anymore.

Saw the news stories and then stumbled upon these posts. I don't follow Rachel Riley at all, so this is the first I'm hearing she's an awful person with a pattern.

www.independent.co.uk

Rachel Riley says ‘sorry’ after tweet suggesting Sydney attack was Islamic extremism

Her rambling weird "apology" makes no sense.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Rachel Riley has long been suspect, but the brain worms have really embedded themselves now.

View: https://twitter.com/RachelRileyRR/status/1779096111669506497

www.independent.co.uk

This... person... is an ambassador of the CCDH - an organization dedicated to countering hate speech and disinformation...???

Gross.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
www.abc.net.au

Bondi attack 'bollard man' to be granted permanent residency in Australia, lawyer says

A petition was set up by a member of the public calling for him to be granted an Australian citizenship, describing his actions as a "true act of Australianism".
www.theguardian.com

Bondi Junction stabbing: French man who confronted attacker with bollard to receive permanent residency

Damien Guerot praised for ‘extraordinary bravery’ after CCTV footage showed him confronting Joel Cauchi
The Australian government will grant permanent residency to a French citizen who confronted the Bondi Junction attacker with a bollard, but not citizenship, because it cannot waive residency requirements.

The clarification comes after the prime minister, Anthony Albanese, offered him the ability to stay in Australia as long as he liked and said he was someone the country would "welcome becoming an Australian citizen".
On Tuesday Albanese thanked Guerot for his "extraordinary bravery" and offered to resolve visa issues for the French citizen after reports his visa is due to expire in July.

"I say this to Damien Guerot – who is dealing with his visa applications – that you are welcome here, you are welcome to stay for as long as you like," Albanese told reporters in Canberra.

"This is someone who we would welcome becoming an Australian citizen, although that would of course be a loss for France.

"It says a lot about the nature of humanity at a time when we are facing difficult issues, that someone who is not a citizen of this country stood bravely at the top of those escalators and stopped this perpetrator from getting on to another floor and potentially inflicting further carnage on citizens.

"I think that on Saturday we saw some of the best of human character at the same time as we saw such devastating tragedy. And I thank Damien for his extraordinary efforts."
The promise of permanent residency was "amazing news", Guerot told his lawyer, Belinda Robertson, after being contacted by the department of immigration. He was told he would be informed on when permanent residency can be officially granted "as soon as possible".

"It is truly heartwarming for something positive to come out of all the pain and tragedy," Robinson told Guardian Australia.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Teenager arrested over Sydney church attack received good behaviour bond for previous knife crime

The teenage boy arrested over last night's stabbing attack inside a Sydney church was placed on a good behaviour bond after facing court for a knife crime just three months ago.
Police previously said the 16-year-old was known to them but not "well-known".

www.abc.net.au

Teenager accused of church attack received good behaviour bond for knife crime

The teenager who allegedly attacked a bishop at a church in Sydney was placed on a good behaviour bond after being convicted of a knife crime three months ago, the ABC can reveal.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
www.abc.net.au

Man wrongly identified as Bondi Junction stabber pursues defamation case against Network Seven

University student Benjamin Cohen was falsely accused of being the stabber behind the Bondi Junction Westfield attack on Saturday, following misinformation that was spread online.
www.theguardian.com

Sydney man Benjamin Cohen wrongly named as Bondi Junction killer by Channel Seven seeks damages

The university student has hired a defamation lawyer after the TV network incorrectly named him without confirmation from police
The Sydney man Benjamin Cohen, who was wrongly named on air by Seven News as the Bondi Junction killer, has hired a lawyer and is seeking damages from the network.

The university student has engaged defamation lawyers and issued a concerns notice to Seven, his solicitor Patrick George of the law firm Giles/George has confirmed.
Seven has not revealed where its newsroom got the name from.

A Seven spokesperson said the network "sincerely apologises" for the error: "It was escalated immediately and rectified," the spokesperson said.

On Saturday night Cohen's LinkedIn profile was shared on X by accounts falsely claiming he resembled the attacker.

"It's extremely disappointing to see thousands of people mindlessly propagating misinformation without even the slightest thought put to factchecking or real life consequences," he said in a statement to Guardian Australia on the weekend.

"But what's even more disappointing to me is a major news network doing this, using my name without waiting for a statement from police to verify this or going out to try to verify it themselves."
On Sunday afternoon a Seven News reporter apologised on air: "Earlier this morning reports of the incident incorrectly named the perpetrator as 40-year-old Benjamin Cohen. It was later confirmed that the name of the 40-year-old is Joel Cauchi from Queensland. Seven apologises for any distress caused by our earlier reports."

In 2022 another man was wrongly identified as Cleo Smith's alleged kidnapper by the Seven Network. He reached a confidential settlement in the supreme court of Western Australia.
The antifascist research group White Rose Society tracked many of the misleading claims made about the attack over the weekend, including those from neo-Nazis' accounts claiming the offender was non-white "to fit into their anti-immigration narrative".

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.abc.net.au

Ben was falsely accused of stabbing six people to death. Here's how this falsehood spread

For 14 hours over the weekend, Sydney university student Ben Cohen was one of the most reviled men on the internet, falsely accused of the Bondi Junction stabbings. Here's how the lie spread around the world.

For 14 hours over the weekend, Sydney university student Ben Cohen was one of the most reviled men on the internet after he was falsely accused of being the knifeman who went on a stabbing rampage in a Sydney shopping centre, killing six people.
The ABC has pieced together how anti-semitic and pro-Kremlin accounts turned Mr Cohen into an internet villain.

The trail was uncovered using social media analysis, datasets provided by disinformation experts, archives provided by anti-fascist research group the White Rose Society, as well as interviews with Mr Cohen, his family and the accounts spreading false claims about him.
"It's extremely disappointing to see thousands of people mindlessly propagating misinformation without even the slightest thought put to fact-checking or real-life consequences," Mr Cohen told the ABC.
"And then using that information to push an agenda and spread hatred."
Here's how the falsehoods — later amplified by 7 News, which has since blamed "human error" for its role in spreading misinformation — unfolded.
---------------------------
5:43pm
Pro-Putin influencer Simeon Boikov, who goes by the moniker Aussie Cossack, posts that "Jimmy the Junkie" — a character from the television show Housos — is responsible.
Mr Boikov has been hiding inside the Russian consulate in Sydney for more than a year to avoid an arrest warrant for alleged assault. He has requested political asylum to live in Russia.
A dataset analysis provided to ABC Investigations by Marc Owen Jones, a digital disinformation expert from Qatar's Hamad Bin Khalifa University, reveals Mr Boikov was one of the key figures spreading Mr Cohen's name in relation to the attack.
Sunday: 'It didn't blow over'
Overnight, several far-right and white supremacist personalities in Australia and worldwide start sharing Mr Cohen's photo and name. Earlier in the day, many of these accounts had falsely claimed the attacker was Muslim.
According to anti-fascist research group the White Rose Society's analysis of activity on X, the mentions of Benjamin Cohen went from 125, to more than 72,000 mentions. Many of these mentions were those trying to debunk the false claim.
"Benjamin Cohen" begins to trend on Twitter.
Mr Cohen recalled waking his mother around 1am on Sunday and telling her he was concerned about how fast his name and photo was circulating online.
"I was really hoping it would blow over in the morning. It didn't," Mr Cohen says.
3:00am
Matt Wallace, a far-right influencer and cryptocurrency personality, shares the false theory that Benjamin Cohen is the killer. According to X's own statistics, his post is viewed more than 6 million times.
6:15am
The Benjamin Cohen theory breaks into the mainstream.
7 News names "Benjamin Cohen" as the "40-year-old lone wolf attacker" in a TV news report, a live-cross with Sunrise presenters, and online versions of the story with captions, now deleted.
Shortly after, screenshots of the report naming Benjamin Cohen are widely shared, with those claiming the brief mention is confirmation of both an anti-semitic conspiracy to suppress the real killer's identity and evidence of Zionist links to a mass casualty event.
The 7 News report misidentifying Benjamin as the attacker is also embedded in overseas media reports on the attack.
7 News has previously come under fire for misidentifying the wrong suspect. In 2021 it was forced to apologise to Nyamal man Terrance Flowers after incorrectly broadcasting his photo in a news report about the abduction of Cleo Smith in Western Australia.
A WA judge later ruled in favour of Mr Flowers in a defamation case against the broadcaster, which paid Mr Flowers a confidential amount.